Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Chart Feature: Dynamic Legends

Instead of fixed legends, please allow the user to create a dynamic legend, so that if there are no values for a particular category, the legend does not show up for that category.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. redo button

With the undo button you can undo your last action.

But with the redo button you cannot repeat your last action, unless you have "undood" it first. It seems that the redo button gets activated only after the undo button has been used. So the redo button is actually only a undo button for the undo button.

Just like the undo button, we should be able to redo any action, like insert row, etc which has been done by us.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Navigate back to last cell you were in. Useful when Formula Auditing

In the same way you can use CTRL-SHIFT-F2 to navigate back to a place in the VBA code you were previously in, it would be highly useful to be able to do similar when your tracking / navigating through a workbook seeing where formulas are referenced. So a shortcut key combination that would take you back to the cell you were in before the current one

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I would like to see a highlight row addition key.

I have to cross reference many items on one row, with a "highlight" button that would highlight the entire row and stay on no matter where I move in the spreadsheet, it would save a lot of time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the offset click bug in large worksheets

this bug was also in 2013 and occurs with large spreadsheets – I get it in one that has 18 tabs, file size 543K, opened from OneDrive and I’ve seen in other large files. Sometimes the mouse position on screen and the cell where Excel shows you as clicking are not the same, so you can’t select the cell you want with the mouse – you get a cell multiple rows above (about 12 or 15, say 2” difference on screen) and sometimes a row to the side. It also happens with trying to select a row – instead of…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove Blank Rows

Just as there is a feature to remove duplicates, it would be great to have a feature to remove blank rows, especially in a large data set. Perhaps specify the range or convert a range to a table, and have an option to remove blank rows in the process. Often, when I get an export or someone else who has given me a large data, there are entire blank rows that I have to remove. It would be great to have a "Remove Blank Rows" feature to perform the action.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When making a copy of a tab let me choose how many copies I want

When I right click on a tab and choose the "Move or Copy..." option, then check the box to "Create a copy" it would be nice if the was an area underneath the check box to enter the number of copies that I want. Then I wouldn't have to do this ten times if I want ten copies of a sheet.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Case Sensitive Date Format Rules

I wish the cell formatting rules for dates were case sensitive. For example, the rule "MMM" outputs "Jan" instead of "JAN"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add oMath capability through VBA, add cell links

Allow the programmatic creation of equations through VBA. The oMath API is already incorporated in MS Word. If cells can also be referenced in the Equation Editor/oMath, this would be a "killer feature" that would help compete with programs like Mathcad.

In engineering applications where showing calculations is important, it is tedious to put manually assemble equations in the Equations Editor that match a formula, then show a formula with values used before showing the calculated result. Adding oMath into VBA and allowing cell links would go a long way to reducing this overhead.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. unstable

Excel freezes; unstable can't handle large number of large files. New features are great but would rather have more stable product

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

info needed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Floating Spreadsheet Wizard

what I envision is having a small window that floats near the edge of the at the bottom/top row or far right/left column. The window is to be used for simple functions like summing up a set of cells without interrupting the tables you've created. So If I can predesignate the function I want, select the cells to use but have the final number returned to a little window instead of cell on the spreadsheet. then be able to save the window has like comment or note or something similar. Ask me questions, willing to test design and add input.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Sort tabs

Sort tabs
    To sort worksheet tabs in alphabetical order. Want to be able to right click on a worksheet tab and choose Sort.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Feasibility to query Google Calendar to Excel

Many times, I have to see my calendar to calculate hours that I spent for meetings. It is kind of monotonous work that a professional has to spend specially in "productivity" calculation. If Excel can built a query in Power Query tool or import from data sources which gives an option to export data from Google Calendar or any other calendar and we can built other formulas to calculate productivity efficiently.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Right click for conditional formatting

Please add the conditional formatting menu to the options available when you right click a cell.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support for SQL statements

There are lots of times that I've had to create really complex formulae or macros just to replicate the equivalent of simple SQL statements (e.g. select * from range where xxx=yyy).
    Would it be possible to include SQL statements as a new type of formula?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Working with coloured cells

OK. I know Excel wasn't originally designed this way but a lot of users, especially in the financial sector, uses different fill colours to indicate different types of data or different quality data.
    It would help enormously therefore there were worksheet functions which could work with coloured cells without resorting to VBA e.g. a SUMIF() function which worked with interior colours so we could sum all red cells for example.
    (This would also mean adding an additional option to allow recalculation if the formatting of cells was changed - something which we can do at present through VBA but doesn't…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Resume for Office Applications

Intro: For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011), Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Problem: Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

Suggestion: I suggest Microsoft implements this functionality…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make find and replace work in charts for easier formula editing

Find and replace should work with charts too, both with text shapes and with the series' formulas. This is a major time saver for editing many series' at once.

Jon Peltier made an addin that implements this: http://peltiertech.com/change-series-formula-improved-routines/.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Expose more related charting objects in VBA (a points' values, range, series, etc)

It is not possible to access a point's values or range from VBA. We have to parse the point's name (S3P14), the go to the third series' 14th cell in the x values range to access the points' value or range.

It is also not possible to access a series' legend entry as a property from VBA.

There are many examples of this kind of "incompleteness" of the VBA charting object model. It would be great if these related objects could be exposed, to simplify code.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Could you further comment on the other areas which you feel are incomplete?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

20. freeze heading row

Typical scenario:
    - Freeze the heading row of data
    - When you scroll down, the only way to see you have moved down is to look at the row indicators. When copying and pasting or updating formulas in a many col spreadsheet, this sometimes leads to silly errors.
    - Can the separator below the freezed row (i.e. headings) change to a different colour when you have scrolled down, e.g. blue, or the row ids change color (as they do for a filter).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base