Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Apply View > Formula Bar at sheet level

The options in the View ribbon, Show group are not consistent in their behaviour. Ruler, Grid lines and Headings are applied at the sheet level. But Formula Bar is applied at the application level, so even other workbooks will show/hide the formula bar according to the setting in the current sheet.

Please apply the View Formula Bar only at sheet level, so that other sheets and workbooks are not affected.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. restore 3-D rotation of graphs in excel

it is often useful to have line graphs that run vertically rather than horizontally. It is used to be easy to rotate a graph 90 degrees clockwise. Now the 3-D rotation function is present in all the relevant menus and toolbars, but it is grayed-out and does not function. How come? Is there a way to turn this back on?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. New idea for newest version of Excel (3D version)

Each Workbook will have a few sections, and each section will has a few WorkSheets.and finaly each Worksheet has many data like old versions. Summary it means : data devided in sections and sheets (3D version). I Create 3 Pictures for this idea , in this link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qiqk0lk6hg681q8/AADxueKciHMyWJwBbPiV1yuba?dl=0
    E-mail address:
    shariflotfi@yahoo.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add more visual variety to the Ribbon

Excel 2010 got this part right. The Ribbon was slightly darker at the bottom than at the top. Selected icons and icons that were hovered over were orange, which contrasted well against the background. Most of the icons had shadows under them. The Formula Bar contrasted against the Ribbon above and the sheet below.

This visual variety made Excel 2010 look more inviting than Excel 2016. Microsoft Excel is already a boring program to use and a difficult program to learn, and the new flat design and low contrast only make Excel 2016 look boring too.

Please add more visual…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a hashbytes function like in t-sql

T-SQL has a HASHBYTES function which takes two parameters, the hashing function, and some input and then returns a hash.

HASHBYTES ( '<algorithm>', input )

<algorithm>::= MD2 | MD4 | MD5 | SHA | SHA1 | SHA2256 | SHA2512

If conditional formatting highlight duplicate values blows up on long strings, at least I could use this to find duplicate hashes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Synchronized attributes in Pivot Table's report filters

I would like to drag attribute from a hierarchy into pivot table's report filters, as it can be done through Slicer.
    In such way I will have synchronized attribute (e.g If I have Year and Quarter into report filters and I filter Year=2016 I will see into Quarter's report filter only quarters belonging to 2016).

Thanks!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Can't align or distribute text boxes on charts in Excel 2016

I have spreadsheets that I have been using since August 2000. Now I can no longer align or distribute the text boxes on my charts that reference cells in my spreadsheet. The options are grayed out. This is a pain.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Expand Excel to introduce “Dual Cell Capability”.

The problem with Excel is that every formula is a total recalculation. You can’t add a calculated result to a previous value in a cell to come up with a new value. You have to keep all the data in the worksheet and recalculate and it keeps growing larger and larger.
    Expand Excel to introduce “Dual Cell Capability”. When required by the application, DCC would allow you to define a formula in one of the cells (just as it does now) but also carries persistent data in the other partner cell that can be recalculated and/or updated by the formula…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. During imports in Excel please bring in the table names from SQL Server!

I'm doing data import and PowerBI and Excel have such different feels. It would be nice to have tables import with their table names like in PowerBI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add 1 button for drawing "all borders" and "thick box border (outside)" of the table at the same time

There are a lot of kind of buttons for drawing borders of the Excel table. But as long as I know the most used ones are "all borders" and "thick box border".
    I have to click both of them most of the time for each table. can you add 1 button for drawing "all borders" and "thick box border (outside)" of the table at the same time ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Change GetPivotData to read the pivot cache

A recent survey of the most evil Excel functions showed an unexpected (to me) result. Getpivotdata topped the list.
    One of the major reasons for this is that it only works off whatever Field names are visible, so that when the user changes the visible row or column fields getpivotdata stops working.
    if it read the pivotcache directly then this problem would be solved and Getpivotdata would be a lot more robust.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Setting Print Area - cant do it with right click? why not?

I noticed that when i select an area of cells, and right click , the option to 'Set Print Area' is not there. Why not? It should be there. Instead, i have to go up to the ribbon to find Page Layout, Print Area, then set print area. Can Page Layout be added to the right click menu or at least just the Set Print Area command? Not sure why it isnt there. i would have it there for sure to save the mouse move to top and 3 more clicks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Increase the number of items in clipboard with paste special feature

Increase the number of items that can be placed in clipboard. And also we should have option for paste special for any item in the clipboard.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. In an xy scatter plot, allow a specification to an ordinal/nominal scale range that will create different series for each category

In an xy scatter plot, allow a specification to an ordinal/nominal scale range that will create different series for each category of the range. Some programs provide x*y=z plots in which the x and y are the axes and the z consists of categories the data are assigned to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

18. Automatically remove repeat numbers

Need to post rows in once excel sheet and have them Automatically remove from another sheet. IE Sheet one contains numbers and account data per row sheet 2 contains repeat numbers with no account data. Remove any rows with a repeat number based off the first cell in that row.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add "most used" along of "recent"

The open -> recent pane takes up the whole screen, and, past a point, gives irrelevant choices.

What about sharing this pane with "n most used ever" (able to manually delete files from this list).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Excel should have that right arrow button on right side of tabs, not left.

Please move that right arrow button (the triangle that points right) to the rightmost side of tabs. It is in the wrong place. Dont like it there. I dont like the 3 dots much because when i click it , it jumps to tabs to the right and moves the tab i am in. I just want to scroll right and show more tabs. I dont want to jump into a diff tab. So plz move that right arrow to the rightmost side of tabs. Then i can do that without going all the way to the left side. Put…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base