Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix how Excel 2016 CTR handles pasted HTML with Excel Formulas

Hi folks,

I rely on pasting HTML in the clipboard to Excel to put an Excel formula into 1 of 3 cells, for example:

<HTML><BODY><TABLE><BODY><TR><TD>=ROW('Sheet1'!A1)</TD><TD>test</TD><TD>test</TD></TABLE></BODY></BODY></HTML>

Should generate something that looks like this:

| A | B | C |

| 1 | test | test |

Where A1 actually contains the formula "=ROW('Sheet1'!A1')".

However, I've observed with recent versions of Excel 2016 CTR that the formula is converted to a string. Instead of the cell containing "=ROW('Sheet1'!A1')", it contains ""=ROW('Sheet1'!A1')" (single quote appended to the front). The single quotation mark at the beginning of the formula prevents Excel from treating…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow thousand separators in formulas

Entering large numbers, especially with zeroes, can be made easier if the thousands comma separator option was allowed to be part of the formula.

Please consider adding this option. Thanks.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to add or delete a row directly with 'Insert' and 'Supr' keyboard bottom.

It could be so usefully if you select a row and delete it just clicking 'Supr' bottom in the keyboard, also if you have the focus in a row, add a new one with 'insert' bottom.
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Since mid june 2017 Excel2016 update, "ddd" format is producing dates with a dot "."

My docs using macros, conditionnal formatting and formulas (generated by macros) don't work anymore because a dot "." has appeared at the end of the abbreviated day of the date, monday is now "Mon." instead of "Mon" with below formula "Formula":

If LangueSysteme = &quot;FR&quot; Then Day_3 = &quot;jjj&quot;

If LangueSysteme = &quot;UK&quot; Then Day_3 = &quot;ddd&quot;

Formula = "=TEXT(""" & DateValue(DateSerial(ValYear, Month(ValMonth), i)) & """,""" & Day_3 & """)"

It was not the case before auto update of Excel last week.
    1) Is there a new setting to deactivate / remove this unwanted "." ?
    2) How…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Power Pivot - display source table name when right clicking on field in Row / Column box

With Power Pivot it would be great to get a simple right-click option to see which Table our field item is from, and then change the focus on / expand that table in the field list when the table name is clicked.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Drag and drop to email

When working on an Excel file I would like to be able to just drag it over and drop it in an open email. Right now I have to close the file then select add attachment. Not the end of the world but it would be helpful to be able to just drag it over.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When resizing columns, let you make fine adjustments by holding down shift key

When you resize columns, it can be a pain to get the right pixel width. So what if users could hold down the shift key while resizing the column and it would do it in a fine adjustment mode. In this mode, the column won't be exactly where the cursor is - it will shift about one third as far as you move the cursor left or right. So you can see it move and see the pixel count adjust, but the mouse response is dampened so it's easier to get the exact width

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. copy / insert issue

Hello Excel User Voice,

I have a macro that worked fine for over a year, but after the latest Office update something changed and the macro behaves differently.

Initially, I thought that it was the Insert method that changed, however, having tested this now i can see that it's the Range.Unmerge method that behaves differently.

We have users with three different Office builds in the team:
    1. 16.0.4498.1000
    2. 16.0.7329.1054
    3. 16.0.8201.2075

For users on build 1 and 2, Range.Unmerge method unmerges the cells AND clears contents of clipboard AND/OR sets the Application.CutCopyMode to False.

For users on build 3…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add option to turn off automatic word wrap cell formatting when entering text with a line break

When entering text with a line break (Alt-Enter) in a cell, Excel always adds Word Wrap formatting to the cell automatically.
    This gets in the way when manipulating text data. It makes sense when creating on-screen forms and tables, but extremely annoying when doing heavy data work, which is most of the time for power users.
    As with all auto-formatting, this should be optional, and controllable from the Options dialog, in the Editing section.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove Hidden Names

Make it easier to remove "Hidden Names" from a file in preparation for sharing.

Here is what happens today if I inspect a document prior to sharing with a third party:

{See attached screen captures}

1) It says "Hidden Names" were found. I click for "More Info".

2) The "More Info" dialog informs me that it can't remove these names for me. I need to run a macro, and there is a link to "Macro to Remove Hidden Names". I click on this.

3) I am taken to an example macro, which "assumes I am familiar with the programming language…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Open All recovered files

When Excel closes "improperly", it presents a list of recovered files to open. Since it already has the list and location, it would be GREAT to have a button to reopen "All" of them, instead of having to pick each one separately. What a time saver that would be! I always have at least a dozen workbooks open at once.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Footer too many charaters

Our Standard footer has more characters than the allowed limit in Excel 2016. The only work around we have had so far is to convert to an image and paste it into excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. A bug in excel 2016 with the "Undo Typing"

I found a bug in excel 2016 with the "Undo Typing" (the back curved arrow on the left top of the excel sheet).
    Please, open new book1 and type some data. Then open new book2 and type some data. Now go to book1 and click the Undo typing, then the data in book2 will be deleted first. I recommend that the Undo typing should act on the active workbook only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Version 1705 Undocumented VBA Language Changes

As you can see by many posts, we developers heavily utilize VBA. As versions change and items are removed, we have to adapt our macros accordingly. Most of the time major changes in the VBA language happen at major version upgrades (e.g. 2007 to 2010 to 2016).

Recently Version 1705 started to be pushed out to people. I have a simple bit of code that enables the events for all workbooks that open. Prior to Version 1705 it worked perfectly, but now it fails on the variable definition. (Dim x As New EventClassModule now gives an error - "Compile error:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Turn off the Relationships between tables my be Needed PERMINANTLY

When using Power Pivot 999 times out of a 1000 We Get the Same yellow box Prompt in the top of the PivotTable Fields Suggesting that Relationships may be needed, Which is totally Bogus. On matter how many times I close it, every time I Open the Pivot Table Fields It reappears. Please allow us to turn this of permanently

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base