Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better default format for a time from a csv file

This is relating to opening CSV files with fields formatted like 12:34:56.789

My Excel sets them to custom format mm:ss.0, which is rarely a useful form to work with the value. I'd prefer if they stayed as text or were a time in HH:MM:SS.000 format.

Sorry for duplicate suggestion of https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/15958735-i-think-the-default-way-to-format-a-time-should-be; I wasn't sure if my comment was seen.
    Currently my system short time format is h:mm tt and long time format h:mm:ss tt.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand the new "Shared with Me" option

While I appreciate the new "Shared with Me" option when opening a file (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), it only shows documents. It would be great to see folders that were shared with me as well and browse to the file that I want to open within the shared folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add versatility to Report Filters for pivot table date fields

Currently, the Autofilter function for spreadsheet tables, when used on a date field, allows for selection by year, month, day, or even prescribed ranges; but Report Filter for pivot tables only allows selection by day. Please add the same date filtering capabilities for pivot table Report Filters as are available with Autofilter.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dictionary-like function FROM(Table, ColumnName, KeyColumnName, Key)

More often than most things, we index-match Key-Value pairs. Now if the key-value pairs are in a Table, INDEX-MATCH looks really nice:
    Table1:

Key Value
    1 Panagiotis
    2 Nikos
    4 Kostas

data Key formula
    1235134 1 =index(Table1[Value];match([@[Key]];Table1[Key];0))
    12341234 4
    =index(Table1[Value];match([@[Key]];Table1[Key];0))

While that syntax is nice, it can get better:
    FROM(Table1, "Value", "Key", [@[Key]]) !
    How cool is that?

Also, add the option to invert filter selection. You added that in Windows Explorer, is it not the right time for the Excel too?
    See more topics labeled with:

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Data Graphics that will Display Excel Data

It would be super great to have the ability to insert a shape that will display data from the spreadsheet. I find myself using labels in charts and adding formulas to the labels, but I would like to be able to add any shape and add a formula to it to display data. I suppose this is somewhat like Visio, but after being in development with a major spreadsheet for several weeks I would really have appreciated having more flexibility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Adding a few more options to histogram charts

I really like the new histogram chats, but I am missing a few options. One of them is adding an indicator for the mean, for example as a vertical dotted line. I am also hoping for a way to change how the horizontal axes is formatted.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hi/Low bar and column charts

Add an additional chart type that would allow the lower limit of the bar and column to be specified instead of assuming they start at the axis (i.e. zero).

Excel already has a chart along similar lines in the stock "Open, high, Low, Close" chart - and the 2nd and 3rd data fields can be blanked to give what is effectively a high/low chart - however these charts cannot be plotted horizontally as bars.

A high/low bar chart would allow easy creation of Gant charts and would also allow easy comparison between data sets that exhibit a range of data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

9. Allow me to pin more than 11 files to the task bar

If I pin more than 10 files, the last ones don't show up unless I unpin some others. The recent files no longer show up at all unless you have less than 10 items pinned. I work with several files, plus have others that I don't use all the time but may have worked on today and want to go back to.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. allow for landscape do not make protrait the default-

allow for landscape do not make portrait the default- go back to the previous Excel workbook settings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add amount to the CONVERT function

Amount is an important quantity in chemistry and is commonly measured in moles (mol) and its SI-prefixed variants. After all, mol is an SI unit.

Below is an example application where converting amount would be useful:
    Given the molar mass (g/mol) of a solute and the target volume (mL) and target concentration (μM = μmol/L) of the final stock solution, find the mass (mg) of solute to weigh out to create the solution.

In addition to moles and its SI-prefixed variants, amount can also be measured as pairs, dozens, the number of individual items, etc.

For example, CONVERT(1,"mol","item") should return…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Power Pivot: In the measures editor display tables in the order they are arranged in the data model view

Power Pivot - In the measures editor display the tables in the drop down in the same order that they are arranged in the data model view. This then allows us to have our measure tables at the start and more importantly at the top of the measure editor

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable user to choose what Workbook Structure options they want protected

When you protect the workbook structure, it prevents anyone from inserting, deleting, hiding, unhiding, moving or copying the sheets and even stops them from changing the tab colour. It would be nice if we could choose WHAT to protect (eg only deleting and unhiding sheets).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enable excel online spreadsheet as data source

I would like to be able to use an online excel spreadsheet as a linked data source. Simply paste the excel file url and it likes (similar to sharepoint list, but way easier)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve cryptic number formatting (##,#) with preview...

Current number formatting using ##.#, ? , semi colons and commas is too cryptic and has no preview and is just doesn't fit the Excel style. Instead, provide a dialog box similar to font selection with instant preview along with conditional formatting, number format separation, color. Also an option to select for positive, negative, zero and text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow users to select the font size for Data Validation Input Message text.

Allow users to change the font size of Data Validation Input Message text. A recent update for Excel 2016 (PC version) increased the font size and now several Input Messages in one of my custom templates are truncated (and there is no way to scroll down to see the truncated text). If it was possible to decrease the font size (at least to what it was previously) of the Input Message text then it would solve the problem. More generally, being able to select a particular font size this would be a useful feature.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Short-circuit evaluation for AND and OR

If any argument of AND is FALSE, then AND is FALSE; no need for further evaluation.
    If any argument of OR is TRUE, then OR is TRUE; no need for further evaluation.
    However, the arguments of AND and OR always evaluate fully, which wastes calculation time and computer power.

The current workaround, which sacrifices clarity, is to write AND(a,b,c) as IF(a,IF(b,c)) and OR(a,b,c) as IF(a,TRUE,IF(b,TRUE,c)), since IF skips the evaluation of the branch not taken.

The only time that the change to short-circuit evaluation would not be desirable is in a case such as AND(something,UDF()), where UDF() is a UDF…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. If multiple cells are selected, structured references are not used when clicking

Refer to Table1 below for this issue:

ColA....ColB

Suppose that I want to write an array formula outside of the table to sum ColA and ColB across each row. If I make a 2 row × 1 column selection, press =, and click to refer to ColA, I get A2:A3, not Table1[Col]. My formula would ideally read as {=Table1[ColA]+Table1[ColB]} without having to type the table and column names manually.

Please make structured references appear when clicking regardless of the number of cells in the selection.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add 7 more border linestyles in the conditional formatting

Currently only 7 border linestyles are possible in the conditional formatting cell properties, which is very reduced. A lot of the borderlines are missing in the conditional formatting cell properties. It should be in total 14 border linestyles, see the cell properties with the normal text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Count number of the data in one column which is bigger than the value of a cell in another tab

Currently, we can only make criteria in formula 'countif' or 'countifs' as a number, a comparison with a predefined value, a cell, or a word.
    It will also be helpful if we can also make the criteria as a comparison with a cell.
    For example:
    tab 1 contains a lot of dates in one column
    tab 2 contains any other dates in one column
    We can count the number of the dates which is bigger than each date in tab 2 through this function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base