Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Editing a formula in a cell should not overlap the neighbouring left and right cell

When you type a formula in a cell, the full formula is displayed in the grid. If the formula is long, is starts overlapping with cells on the left and right of the edited cell. But it then means you cannot insert the coordinate of these overlaped cells in the formula by clicking on them because what you actually do is click on the formula. When editing a formula in a cell, the display of the formula must be constrained to its cell borders to allow neighbouring cells to be accessible for the click.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. remove multiple hyperlinks

If you right-click on a single cell, the option to remove hyperlink is available.
    But if you select more than one cell (all of them containing hyperlinks) and right-click, the remove hyperlink option does not appear.
    There is no way to remove a sheet-full of hyperlinks in one shot.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. central moving average

Please add central moving average to trend line options.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Can't empty the clipboard

Why oh why is Excel throwing up a "Can't empty the clipboard" error for more than a DECADE. Why is it using the clipboard like that at all? It is these idiotic small things that drove me to Google Sheets.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Change in format

Sometimes Date formats, number formats etc change when the excel file is opened on another computer; probably when the custom format is not available on the target comp. This should not happen.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Root Mean Square Error (RMSE)

Please add RMSE formula to statistical function library.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Eliminate redundant sheet references in formulae on that sheet

Why does Excel sometimes add a sheet reference prefix to a cell reference in a formula when the host cell containing the formula is on that same sheet? A bizarre and inconsistent practice that is a completely useless waste of formula space.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow copying of tables from Word into Excel tables (you can't do that to a merged cell)

Because of Excel's abysmal text processing functions, I frequently copy large tables from Excel sheets into Word flies. After translating the text, I copy them back to Excel. I'd like to copy entire tables into the original Excel cells, but I get two really stupid messages.
    "The data you're pasting isn't the same size as your selection. Do you want to paste anyway?"
    After clicking OK:
    "We can't do that to a merged a cell."

This happens despite the fact that the content was copied out of those exact same cells.

Make it so that I can copy a table…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Military Dating formate

The military uses a different date format, and excel does not have it available. So if that format could be included it would add functionality for them. the long way to do it would be (Y=year, M=month, D=Day) YYYYMMDD while the short version is YYMMDD.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. worksheet function for returning a field inside a delimited lists

I’d like to have a function available that returns a specified field within a delimited list. I would pass the list, a delimiter and a field number as arguments to the function and it should return the value in that field.

For instance with the pipe separated list ”TEST1|TEST2|TEST3|TEST4| TEST5|||||||TEST|” in A1.
    I’d like to use something like GetFieldInDelimitedList(A1;"|";5) and have it return “TEST5”.

Any equivalent formula will requires quite a lot of nested functions e.g.:
    =MID(A1,FIND("([])",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"|","([])",4))+1,FIND("([])",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"|","([])",5))-(FIND("([])",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"|","([])",4))+1))

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a space between formulae components as the default

Make the undocumented "feature" which allows the user to add a space between formulae components (e.g. =IF([space]A1[space]>[space]B1,[space]A1[space]*[space]C1,[space]0) without impinging the calculation as the DEFAULT method for saving formulae. This syntax makes reading, debugging and manually evaluating the Fx much easier as selecting the components is easier.
    (I think it would be advisable to still treat Wbk.sheet.range as a single component)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. VBA: add a TAG property to the Chart object

A chart in a worksheet has a name, the only way to identify the chart in VBA is to use the shape name.

But when the user moves the chart to an other sheet and back, the name of the chart changes! I understand that it is necessary that the name changes, but at this point we can not identity the chart anymore.

So a TAG property (same as in ActiveX controls) would be very helpful to find the right chart within a macro.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Even better... allow for the two way link to include a mathematical expression for each direction

Even better... allow for the two way link to include a mathematical expression for each direction. One equation for the forward link, one for the reverse. By combining many links, a complex mathematical tree could be created where a user could type in a value anywhere in the tree of cells (from the trunk out to the leaves) and see how the tree evolves.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow full functionality with shared workbooks.

With the shared worked book i would like to see if i can now merged and actually change things besides just adding rows and columns. i would like to merge,and cells and etc while also tracking what someone else is doing in the same workbook. Same goes for excel online, i like to track what the other person on the workbook is doing.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. string function which returns the number of occurences of a sub-string

I regularly have comma separated lists, and would like to know how many values there are in the string. Currently do that in VBA, but it would be nice if there was a function for that. E.g.:
    A1 = "abc, def, pqr, xyz"
    B1 = PARAMS(A1,[optionally]",") optionally so that you can do ; or others as well

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Custom Formating for numbers is extremely complicated. Please simplify

Custom Formating for numbers is extremely complicated. Please simplify

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please fix Filters bug

When selecting a filter, if the first column in the set of filters does not stretch down to match the "length" of all columns in the filters then filtering is incomplete. Please fix that, by taking the longest consecutive column of all filtered columns, as the list to filter.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Wrap on date formats

Would be great if wrap could work on a date format; at present it doesn't

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)