Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. replace algorithm

I often work with the hyphen separated double serial numbers, that some of which Excel interprets like date by default. I use text cell type for this values.
    Then I tried to replace this values by means of search and replace function, selected input and output type as text, my value after replacement became the date first, then changed to the numeric equivalent.
    It would be much better if the result of the replacement operation immediately interpreted in a user-specified type.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Custom sort with UDF as Comparer

When using the standard Sort dialog, it would be extremely useful for the 'Sort on' column to accept custom UDFs to implement the comparison of the values in the selected column.

So the 'Sort on' values would be:
    * Values
    * Cell Color
    * Font Color
    * Cell Icon
    * UDF...

Clicking 'UDF...' will bring up a dialog displaying all UDFs implementing the IComparer interface. The user can select which one they want to use.

This will enable many scenarios such as sorting by IP addresses, MAC address etc. where standard alpha-numeric sorts don't work - they give incorrect sort…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Conditional Formatting for enumerated values

When a Column or Row contains enumerated string values like ("Large", "Small", "Medium"), or ("Bob", "John", "Anna") it would be useful to automatically assign a color based on the cell contents.
    Currently, this requires to add one rule for every possible value of the type 'equals to "..."'.
    It suggest to add a Conditional Formatting rule that assigns a unique color per unique value (based on some color set)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow double byte languages in dialogs

Many dialog boxes display gibberish when double-byte languages (kanji/chinese/etc) should be displayed. Some dialog boxes allow these, while others do not. Please enable all programming objects to use/store/display double byte.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Dave,

Can you list the dialogs where you see a problem (and the version of Excel that you’re using)?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

5. When loading tab delimited Text

When loading/opening tab delimited Text document that has fields such as 150:10 200:10 it automatically treats them as date fields and adds a trailing :00 to the end so it would look like 200:10:00, this really disrupts the development of my game and I have to keep the excel documents as the master copy.

It would be nice to be able to load the text document as is and not have any "formatting" added automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a funciton to search in a string from the end (INSTRREV)

Please add a formula that works like INSTRREV in VBA.

(2016-03-08 Dan [MS] - updated title to include INSTRREV, when merging in duplicate idea)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. From a chart's series to x/y values range with a right click menu option

Consider adding these options to a selected series' or datapoint context menu:
    . Go to the X values range
    . Go to the Y values range
    . Go to the series name range
    . Extend/contract series range by n cells.

I've actually implemented all of this for my own use in VBA, with keyboard shortcuts. So Alt+Right extends every range one cell, Alt+Shift+Right extends every range 20 cells, Ctrl+i in a chart takes me to the X values range (or cell, if a single data point is selected). HUGE time saver.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

These are interesting ideas. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Speed up xml import

Importing data from xml file into a Listobject (Table) is very slow. FIle containing 100.000 rows runs 10 minutes. Importing the same data from txt runs 5 secs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide a built-in method to do custom calendars

I am a Financial Analyst that works for a large corporation that has a 52/53 week calendar. All of the cool features like Time grouping and PREVIOUSMONTH for PowerPivot or Excel seems to need some work around to use the tools... For example, our months always end on a Sunday which means that our quarters are always 13 weeks. The functionality built into the app would always add or subtract a few days because everything is based on calendar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Spellcheck should include text in linked pictures from other sheets

My clients produce master spreadsheets containing sections of text as linked pictures from other sheets in the same files. After processing the master spreadsheet, I do a spellcheck, which tells me "Spellcheck complete. You're good to go." But I'm not really, because spellcheck doesn't look at those linked pictures. I only just discovered this. Now I have to spellcheck each sheet separately. Either make spellcheck work properly, or at least provide a warning of what hasn't been checked.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our planning for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

11. Sleepy Drive Support and (Automatic as in hidden) Continous Saving

I have a NAS box on my local network, and I've purposefully set the Hard Disk Drive array to sleep when inactive, in a bid to extend the life of them. This NAS is my primary file server. In addition to this, I sleep my PC every night rather than leave it on or turn it off.

This has an adverse side affect with Office Desktop, including Word and Excel. I experience more with Excel as I often have a 'todo' project management sheet open continuously.

The issue is that when I go to save the sheet, (or document) Office…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to customize the Open page

In Excel 2016, Open gives a nearly blank page with the only options being Recent, This PC, Add a place or browse.

Why is there no way to add a specific data directory?

"This PC" give a list of files under the C: My Documents which is not where my Excel data is held with no way of changing or adding to it.

To select the relevant directories I need therefore each time I need to go through the pain of browsing for it. There needs to be a "Favo(u)rites" in the same way as Explorer has. There is loads…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. An easier way to populate a listbox or combobox with unique (distinct) values from a range

It is possible but should be easier than using a Collection or Dictionary etc.

For example,

Me.ComboBox1.RowSource = "A1:A10", xlDistinctValuesOnly

or

Me.ListBox1.RowSource = "A1:A10", xlDistinctValuesOnly

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. la mejor forma de mejorar excel 2016, es corrigiendo el error de filtros de mas de 100,000 registros. actualmente se cuelga y no funciona.

la mejor forma de corrigir excel 2016, es corrigiendo el error de que se cuelga cuando maneja mas de 100 mil registros. cuando realizamos un filtros el mismo se cuelga. no sirve para trabajar con mucha data. si trabaja con mucha data no instale office 2016.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fix the interaction between macros and Power Pivot/Power Query

If you have any personal macros (or even a macro worksheet in your XLSTART folder), PowerPivot and Power Query both break—it's been a big bummer having to get rid of all my old macros to use my data models.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dynamic scrolling in pivot tables as seen on some webpage so that the current hierarchical level is always visible

Dynamic scrolling in pivot tables as seen on some webpage so that the current hierarchical level is always visible

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Named Ranges: show area when zoom is greater than 39%

if you have a named range and zoom to anything less than 39% you'll see the named range and the cells pertaining to that with a blue border. Would be nice to be able to toggle this somehow when at any zoom scale.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel 2016 Desktop Power Query takes ages to refresh from Azure SQL Database. Make refresh faster.

In Excel 2016 Desktop, it takes very long time for Query to refresh from Azure SQL Database (such as Access Web Apps database). Even when the whole Query is connecting to a single small table, refresh takes + 5 minutes sometimes. This Refresh should be made faster.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow direct editing in cells

Please make an icon in the ribbon for de/activating direct editing in cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make search and replace work in textboxes

I have a large spreadsheet with hundreds of textboxes containing a certain word that I need to change to something else. Search and replace tells me "We couldn't find what you were looking for." Textboxes have been a part of Office ever since I can remember. Search/replace should cover them.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base