Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We probably won’t create this on the Excel side, but you can probably create a template yourself that you could use.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2. Excel 2013 Find and Replace text box

In Excel 2013, when you click on Find and Replace, the dialog box that is opened don't let you click on the Find What text box for the 1st time (the cursor mouse isn't showed). You can enter the text you want to find, but you can't click there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We aren’t going to go back to Excel 2013 to fix this there (it may only happen on certain computers), but it looks like this works correctly in Excel 2016.

I’m resolving this idea, so you’ll get your votes back.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Lorraine,

Your best bet it to call Microsoft support (phone number on the card/box/your account page) and have a quick chat with them. We don’t handle any of the sales stuff on the engineering team.

(I’m resolving this idea, so you get your votes back)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

4. Bring back solid support for SAVING in dBase (DBF) format.

Bring back solid support for SAVING in dBase (DBF) format. The old DBF save format by Excel failed in many areas. However, following some simple, basic guidelines (e.g. set column width equal to the largest data in that column, set column headers according to simple guidelines, etc.),

I could MANUALLY get it to work well every time. Why Excel could not programmatically do what I could do manually was always beyond me. Even worse, why that TOOK OUT the ability to save in DBF format is a show stopper. :-(

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Windows 10 updates are not something that the Excel team owns or has any influence over. I’m declining this idea so you get your votes back.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

6. I would like to see more font control, or manipulation, in Excel as we see in Microsoft.

I would like to see more font control, or manipulation, in Excel as we see in Microsoft.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please give more detail as to what you mean here. Until then, I’m declining this so you get your vote back.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

7. Add Median Value to Pivot Tables in Excel 2013

Add Median Value to Pivot Tables in Excel 2013

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Lost new functions like "ifs" & "switch" & "maxifs" after upgrade to 16.0.6868.2048 at today

today, My excel 2016 32bit lost some new 6 functions like "ifs" & "switch" & "maxifs" after upgrade from v16.0.6568.2025 to v16.0.6868.2048, what is happen ?

During the time used version 16.0.6568.2025 of excel2016 , the all functions are fine, such as [textjoin, concat, ifs, switch, maxifs, minifs],
    anyone can help me?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Include image of new charts

Excel 2016 would make ooxml more attractive if it included an image of the new chart types.

Word and Powerpoint include this image of new chart types (e.g. word/media/image1.png) , but Excel does not. This means that implementers of ooxml interpreters have to interpret the new chart data, styles, etc. right away.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are not planning to include an image of the chart in the file format in Excel because charts tend to be positioned next to the data that they represent. In backcompat situations, if an image was shown of the chart, it would not update if the chart data was changed. This would create a misleading situation. If there are other scenarios, where providing a chart image in Excel’s file format would be necessary and appropriate, please open a new feature request with those details.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. Data Labels in Power View Map

When clicking on "Data Labels" in the Power View Map, can we get the numbers instead of the State names or abbreviations?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We aren’t making updates to Power View at this time so I’m declining this idea (and giving your votes back).

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

11. Share Workbook containing tables

In the review tab there is a button to Share your workbook. Unfortunately it does not work if you have a table in the workbook (there is an FYI if you hoover over the button). Question: why does this not work for workbooks with tables? I use tables all the time and most of my files are used by several people.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Color and format items in listbox.

After creating a 1d or 2d listbox in a userform, I would like to be able to format the background or foreground color of each item; or change the text color and bold it base on some criteria. Essentially; treat the listbox items as if each item row and column like a cell in excel. Highlight a whole row or column if possible, or bold the line.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Macro recorder should ignore selections

It is well known that the macro recorder does not produce code that anyone should ever write themselves. For example, this recorded macro...

Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

...can be simplified to this...

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1")

Since selection-ridden code is longer than necessary and inefficient while running, and since people rarely need their selections to be tracked, I feel that the macro recorder should skip selections entirely.

Of course, if the selection triggers an event, such as Worksheet_Change, then the event handler (if any) can be called directly instead.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New Line within a Cell

In Internet Explorer Alt+Enter for a new line is already a short cut to make the window full screen which can't be disabled. This is very annoying. Please fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Suggestion - Automatically formatting formulas as General

May I suggest that those cells involving formulas be defaulted to the General format instead of being formatted as numbers with only 2 decimals and with a comma. Because I think it wouldn’t be as much accurate to have to automatically see only 2 decimal places in producing values from formulas.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Argument consistency between vlookup and match

When you try to explain how the VLOOKUP formula works to users the last argument asks for either True or False. However, when you use the MATCH formula the last argument asks for -1, 0 or 1.

Can we align the logic? Also, 99% of the time people are looking for an exact match so can you please make that the default when omitted?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Merge COUNTIF and COUNTIFS

COUNTIFS can do exactly what COUNTIF does and more. The only disadvantages are writing the extra "S" and possibly a negligible hit in performance due to COUNTIFS using variable-length argument lists. My suggestion is to make COUNTIF work like COUNTIFS and make COUNTIFS a compatibility function.

I can't say the same for SUMIF and AVERAGEIF, since these functions allow the omission of their last argument, which can be a nice perk over their -IFS counterparts on the (very) rare occasion.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Formulas Referencing column ID in large tables

Formula accuracy degrades when referencing letters. When a formula reference several columns (say A through D:D) the formula breaks consistency in different places once in the double letters or further. I believe due to faults in text search ability.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Adding picture to the ideas posted on this forum

It would be nice to have a chance to add a picture describing better ideas posted on this forum.
    There is a sentence that pictures says more than 1000 words and often ideas may be misunderstood if there in a chance to draw the idea. .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base