Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Real time results for formula bar in the cell

If landed on a cell, the formula bar gets started in select all mode(screenshot) and the result gets displayed in the cell with a different colour (to mention its result of a formula and not a absolute value) rather than displaying the formula itself again(current feature)

But, any arrow key input navigates the cell and not the formula bar unless its clicked on

This way, no compromises to the current feature is made and any corrections can be rectified easily.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CTRL+M to launch Power Query Editor

Well, we know that
    the language behind Power Query is called M;
    it takes at least three clicks to launch Power Query Editor;
    the shortcut CTRL+M is currently unassigned...
    Why not using CTRL+M to launch Power Query Editor?

117 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to allow add-ins in restricted workbook (IRM)

The new Information Rights Management (IRM) is great to protect workbooks from being opened or edited by non authorized users.
    Unfortunately it also deactivates all ad-ins. In principle this makes sense as add-ins can access and modify information within the workbook. However, current restrictions go a bit too far as even as an owner/author of the workbook with FULL CONTROL my add-ins are deactivated. Should I not have full rights to do anything with the workbook? In our company thousands of users across EMEA use a self developed add-in to calculate service costs. Now they cannot use IRM as it…

109 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Color palette choices - doesnt save color I like

So this has been an issue for a long time and no improvement here.
    I want to highlight a cell in a certain light green color that i like. None of the colors you provide for standard or recently used or your theme colors are what i like. The recently used colors dont last long. We need a strip there that has the colors we want to save forever, not just for a day. Please add that. i always have to go to the More Colors and find it. That is ridiculous and time consuming. why not let us save…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. New version of the VBA Editor

Excel is subject to so many great updates with new features, but it seems, that the VBE remained the same since first introduced. Can you please upgrade the VBE to a state of the art editor similar to Visual Studio or other programming editors? Excel Makros are a great feature, used in so many workbooks, but the editor looks and feels like from the 90ies;)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stockhistory function to return the correct historical price - adjusted for splits AND Dividends

Currently the stockhistory function returns a historical price that is only adjusted for splits. Using this to calculate historical returns for any instrument that pays any sort of dividend or capital gain will yield incorrect results.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. MBOX to PST Converter

If you wish to convert MBOX to PST files, first try the SysInspire MBOX Converter application's Free Trial edition to convert MBOX to PST files with just a few things from each mailbox. The trial version will show you how to use the software and its features, as well as how to convert MBOX files to Outlook PST files right away. Additionally, you may convert MBOX files to a variety of file formats, including EML, EMLX, MSG, MSG, and MSG, as well as Office 365.

Read More:- https://www.sysinspire.com/mboxconverter/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Stop Neglecting UserVoice

There are over 8000 requests in the Win10 Desktop forum while less than 600 have been tagged. It's riddled with duplicates, requests containing many different changes, bad titles, ancient posts, etc.

I don't think anyone posting in the forum feels like they have a 'voice'. They're just adding to the noise.

More staff, community moderation, a more extensive roadmap, curated feature requests up for voting, large-scale deleting of old posts, deleting the forum, anything! This is just not productive.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel subcells (unlimited formatting possibilities)

Spreadsheets needs a radical improvement, no spreadsheets at the moment allows subcolumns creating subcells. This would improve the formatting dramatically. We should not have just letters, A, B, C, D... we should be able to divide these columns (letters) in subcolumns and subcells A, A1, A2... but...
    How these spreadsheets would be read? Easy.
    As they are right now (classic style).No subcolumn, no subcell, Column A, Row 2: Read: A2
    Advanced style (subcolumn and subcells), subcolumn A1 Row 2: Read A1#2
    Just columns could be divided with subcolumns, this generates a subcell (comprised with the subcolumn and the row)
    Rows…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improving 'Refers to' Navigation in Name Manager's New Name dialog

An accepted issue for many years, the 'Refers to:' box in the 'New Name' dialog is troublesome when you wish to edit or move within this box using the arrow keys. This is because the cell references change instead.

Given LAMBDA is going to use this interface, and the formulae may be long (pointed out by fellow MVP Oz du Soleil), isn't it time this were fixed?

This issue catches us all out from time to time and I struggle to see the benefit of using the arrow keys to change the cell references here.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SUBSTITUTES function supporting arrays of "find" and "replace" parameters

From time to time, users need to remove multiple characters from a string. For example, you might want to remove all punctuation, or all accented characters.

Right now, you have to do that with a lengthy nested formula using the SUBSTITUTE function. Such formulas are hard to read and challenging for a novice to debug. Or you could write a VBA user-defined function that performs each of the substitutions for you.

The better approach would be a SUBSTITUTES function that works like SUBSTITUTE but accepts an array (or range of cells) for the Find parameter, and possibly also for the…

138 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug: Dragging Cell Into Empty Table Cell Always Results In Erroneous Warning

Drag a cell from inside or outside a table to any empty cell in a table and the dialog "There's already data here. Do you want to replace it?" Clicking OK or Cancel results in the same outcome: the cell is moved.

This bug is annoying and disrupts workflow. Please fix.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel Aggregate Place Value.

Hello team,
    I would like to suggest an idea in excel. since I am using Microsoft Office for a long time, my work was going well unless I discovered a problem. it is actually not a problem but I think a feature can be added.
    Suppose, when I calculate a value from multiple cells and get the result in the decimal form we can use place value to round off the value and see the value, but it would be great efficient if somehow exact value (after round off) could be generated by the system itself.
    Example:
    497*45% = 223.65,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Stop placing your ad for the Office Mobile App whenever we open spreadsheets

We have Office365 Business premium, you we get a toolbar in the ribbon prompting us to ACCESS OFFICE WHEREVER YOU ARE every day on the desktop workstations and it's annoying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Zimbra till PST-omvandlare

Zimbra till PST-omvandlare är det perfekta verktyget för att utföra migreringsprocessen för Zimbra till PST. Med denna fantastiska Zimbra till PST kan migreringsprogramvaran User enkelt konvertera selektiv en eller flera filmappar.

Läs mer: http://www.zimbra-converter.com/info/free-zimbra-converter-to-export-zimbra-to-pst.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Right Click > Filter > Clear all

I have a large spreadsheet which I occasionally need to filter.

It would save me loads of time if Clear All could be added to the right click > filter options, instead of just clear the column I'm in, or reapply the filter.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow me to run multiple instances of Excel again (as in 2010)

The intent here is to allow me to disable auto-calculation on one (1) spreadsheet, without disabling it on all open spreadsheets. I should then be able to manually trigger calculation on one (1) spreadsheet without triggering calculation on all open spreadsheets.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Convert Thunderbird to Outlook

Look no further if you're seeking for a solution to switch from Thunderbird to Outlook 365. Then, to finish the procedure, utilize the Sysinspire Thunderbird to Outlook Converter. Thunderbird can export to EML, EMLX, NSF, HTML, MSG, Office365, GMAIL, and YAHOO, among other file formats. All email characteristics are kept both before and after conversion. Users can use the free trial version, which converts the first 25 items from Thunderbird mbox to PST or any other Thunderbird file type they choose.

Read More:- https://www.sysinspire.com/mboxconverter/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Correção na documentação da função SOMA

Correção na documentação da função SOMA.

Correção da documentação na função SOMA, como neste exemplo anexo informa que se deve informar de 1 a 255 "números" mas que na verdade são argumentos, podendo dentro delas constar números, célula, intervalo de células, funções ou fórmulas e não somente números, para um usuário que está começando e lê isto pode, e já
    foi presenciado, inserir de forma manual números nos argumentos por não ter o conhecimento e não estar especificado de forma correta a diversas formas que pode ser aplicada.
    Como sugestão alterar o "núm1;núm2"... para arg1;arg2... e de 1 a 255…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to sort Recent Workbooks list by latest modified

The File - Open - Recent menu used to display recently used workbooks at the top. Now a (potentially extensive) list of pinned documents sorted by alphabetical order appears. I would like to be able to sort by date modified. It's already a column, but it does not allow sorting.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base