Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Turn OFF AutoSave feature permanently

I'm frequently using saved files as templates. With the new AutoSave function my old files get overwritten as soon as I start editing the file. I have to save the new one immediately with another name otherwise I'll loose the old one. This is annoying.
    Pleas allow to deactivate AutoSave function in the Option settings.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow formulas to be formatted and editted like code in the formula dialog box

When writing complex formulas, it is very difficult to troubleshoot errors with in-line formats and although I can 'simulate' writing the formula like code in the formula dialog box, it is very cumbersome as it doesn't treat 'enter' as a next line and 'tab' as a tab. Also, when using this format in the current version, selecting a formula part and clicking on the fx doesn't show the values, only blanks. A sample is attached showing the format. Would it be possible to setup the formula dialog box to support a more coding IDE model?

=IFERROR(
    SUMIFS(
    tblBS[Avg],
    tblBS[Month],
    [@Month] …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Select Pivot Table by name

I would like to have the possibility to select a PivotTable by name.

In a PivotTable chart, the source tells you what is the PivotTable name but then, you have so select all your PivotTables one by one to find the correct PivotTable.
    So if you can add a tool that is able to select a PivotTable by name, it will save a lot of time.

Thanks

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Named conditional formatting rules

Named conditional formatting rules - If you could name your rules they would be easier to identify. Also, it would be nice if you could right click a cell and have a choice to add it to a named conditional formatting rule. Excel would need to be intelligent enough to be able to add the cell or group of cells to the rule correctly.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When using "Index()" function, return the formatting of the matched cell along with the value

When you use the "Index" function it returns a value but it would be very useful to be able to return the format of the cell that is matched too.

So, for example: If I look up a risk in a table (see attached file) then I get the value as "High", "Medium", "Low" and then based on that I have to create a conditional format whereas if the cell that I am referring to already has a format then I could just use it.

A bonus would be changing the colours would only have to be done in one…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. upgrade vlookup() (and hlookup()) so that you can provide the column header text instead of column number. i.e. database search - dget()

Excel has the DGET() function that allows a database search. You give the name of the column it should find the match in, and the name of the column where the value should be returned to. If vlookup can be upgraded to be similar, then it will be much more powerful:

Example:
    newVlookup(value, data range, match column, return column, match type)

newVlookup(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A:E,"Order Number", "Order Description", false)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option To Refresh Stock Data When File Opens

It would be terrific to have the option on a per-file basis to automatically refresh our Stock data types when our workbooks open. I would envision this being a similar functionality to what we have available to us in the Pivot Table options.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Setting proper width when inserting Table Column

When inserting Table Columns adjust the columns to match the width where the data came from. Make it work like it does when inserting column on spreadsheet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Function to give list of conditions to ANY function

Say you have a function like FIND() that takes a single item to search for. If you have seven items to search for, you have to do them all separately. Yet FIND() cannot be upgraded (aside: for an obviously useful thing) without lots of years of us asking for it here and finally seeing, maybe, something.

The idea here is to have a funciton whose sole purpose is to pass an argument to the function wrapped around it, holding "open" so-to-speak, and after the first argument's pass is over, moving on to do it again with the second argument's value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix bug from Excel update which is making Alt>h>v>v leave menu guide in place and preventing me from using the keyboard until I click a cell

Fix bug from Excel update which is making Alt>h>v>v leave menu guide in place and preventing me from using the keyboard until I click a cell

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow column name to be used in vlookup

Allow the VLOOKUP formula to recognise a column label in place of the column count. This is a sorely lacking functionality when referencing large data sets that can easily extend to column counts of 50 or more.

Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,F:AM,AM,false) instead of =VLOOKUP(A2,F:AM,34,false)

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix the "There's a problem with the clipboard" issue

The issue with "There's a problem with the clipboard..." while copy and pasting is still as issue. I was using Office 2010 and there was no problem. I am now using Office 365 and this issue is prevalent. It manifests itself when pasting a value from a cell containing a formula and disappears when disabling Live Preview. I was able to copy and paste "normal" cell contents fine before the error message appears so the official response of "another program has locked the clipboard" doesn't really hold up. It looks more like Excel has locked the clipboard from itself.

There…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expand Pivot Tables without overwriting existing data beneath or to the right of table

With all the queries on the internet, we assume there is no built-in option to prevent pivot tables from overwriting data beneath the table during refresh and expansion. Is that correct?

Given that Excel has options for 'inserting' rows, why in the world would Microsoft NOT provide a pivot table expansion/contraction option for inserting or deleting rows from within the refreshed table without overwriting data beneath or to the right of the table?

It is also interesting that inserting rows into a regular Excel table, using the TAB key in the last row, can add rows by expanding the table…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. stop jiggling the fucking_screen up and down when scrolling. ******* you microsoft.

stop jiggling the fucking_screen up and down when scrolling. ******* you microsoft.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Vertical, Hierarchical Worksheet Tab Column at the right instead of Worksheet tabs at the bottom

Instead of having worksheet tabs at the bottom of the viewing window, put the worksheet tabs in a column to the far right. This way you can see more tabs on the screen at a time and use longer more descriptive worksheet titles. This would make worksheets much easier to navigate and organize. Furthermore it would be great to make the tabs able to be hierarchical as in the attached example where Schedule 4 has a drop-down arrow that that reveals tabs for sub-schedules a, b and c. Of course please keep all of the fill color options for the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Random value generation

Idea:
    Excel might have a built-in function for generating random values.
    Two 1-dimensional and identical long ranges can include inputs for both the values to be returned and the corresponding weights.
    E.g. ["apple","orange","apricot"] [10,20,30] -> 30/(10+20+30)=50%, 50% is the probability that the returned value is "apricot".

Rationale:
    -This solution can help to generate datasets with predefined parameters. This can help in teaching, training and modeling activities.
    -The same approach can be applied for generating timestamps with predefined parameters. This could be utilized for data analysis (monthly, weekly, daily seasons, distributions etc.).

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Excel would be great if it added the "Change Case" drop down menue from Word to Excel

By adding Word's "Change Case" options to Excel it would improve Excel's editing abilities and increase customer productivity adding value to the Excel product

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base