Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Excel found a problem with one or more formula references" - Please tell me where!

One of my least favorite messages that Excel provides is:

"Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet. Check that the cell references, range names, defined names, and links to other workbooks in your formulas are all correct."

But I can never find the bad references. It's usually buried somewhere very deep, in a chart series formula, or in a name definition, or who knows where else.

If Excel finds a problem, please Excel, tell us where it is.

273 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

33 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The user name should be removed from Office apps title bar for security reasons

Say you work while traveling on a train. Someone wants to know who you are for whatever reasons. If your name is in the title bar of an application or the user name on the logon screen, giving away your credentials that easily... User credentials should not be disclosed in title bar of office applications and there is really NO sensible reason to show them on the title bar. Fancy true, safe nope. Remove it.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. In the status bar at the bottom, I would like an option to display a cell's format

The only way that I know of to see a cell's format category (e.g., General, Number, Date, etc.) is to right-click and hit Format. I would like if there was an option in the status bar called "Cell Format."

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Separate Excel windows shall not share an UNDO buffer.

Sorry Microsoft, but you really blew it in the 2016 update. Separate Excel windows used to be separate Excel windows. Now they share the same buffers for Undo, copy/paste, and highlighting. This is really limiting when working comparatively on two spreadsheets.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Recognize decimal point when importing CSV

This problem is at least 25 years old: when your local Windows standard has the komma as decimal separator, somehow Excel is too stupid to recognize the point as decimal separator when importing a CSV-file. One look in the CSV and you see that it uses the komma between the columns and the point in the numbers. Hard to believe it when you first see this go wrong and then an old man like me tells you this is how Excel works!!! Please, Microsoft, finish your software.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Money in Excel Capital One

Without being able to get my Capital One data in Money in Excel I can only get a small fraction of my finances. Either work with a data aggregator that plays nice with Capital One (not Plaid) or allow me to import my data manually.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Currently Money in Excel doesn’t support Capitol One accounts. We’ve shared your feedback to the apt team for review.

Thank you for using Money in Excel!

Regards,

Vipin Nair
    The Microsoft Team

7. Change the Excel formula bar to the one from Power BI Desktop

Change the formula bar for advanced users as well as for beginners. better reading of functions makes work easier for everyone.
    Indent the code, view the line (s) where there is an error, quickly see the syntax of a function and a bar that adapts depending on the length of the code that is entered.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow non-calculated data in pivot tables

There are times when I need to add a column to a pivot table that just shows the value from the field without calculation. For example, part number and part name. I will setup the the pivot table to summarize by part name, but I need the part number to show up in a column, not as a sub-item of the part name in the first column.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring Power Pivot closer to Power BI Desktop Functionality

Development for Power Pivot for Excel seems to have stopped around 2016. TREATAS got added as a DAX function that works, but it never got added to Intellisense, and that was nearly 3 years ago.

Today, the two measure editors (still no idea why there are different ones) are a very VERY poor substitute for the fantastic DAX editor in Power BI Desktop. It is a real pain to properly tab and indent in the Excel Measure editor(s).

In the last year there have been about a dozen new DAX functions and several updated functions per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/new-dax-functions but NONE of…

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Stock Data Type - Stock Data for Indian Stock Exchange - NSE

To update the stock data type with Indian stock stock exchange rates which will helpful..

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. financial market information disclaimer

I know this has been requested in the past by others. But:
    The Financial Market Disclaimer, across the top of the spreadsheet, when using stock data, needs to be removed as it is in the users face. Just have one universal acknowledgment, like the investment banks have, and remove the disclaimer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Money In Excel - Add Capital One 360 Bank

Money In Excel - Add Capital One 360 Bank

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please create a FILTERJSON (FILTROJSON) worksheet function

Hi. How about creating a FILTERJSON function? It would make our life easier allowing us to get JSON data with less workarounds.

Oi. Que tal criarem uma função de planilha FILTROJSON? Tornaria a nossa vida mais fácil nos permitindo obter dados em formato JSON com menos soluções alternativas.

🇺🇸 English: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇨🇿 Czech: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇩🇰 Danish: FILTRERXML --> FILTRERJSON
    🇳🇱 Dutch: XML.FILTEREN --> JSON.FILTEREN
    🇫🇮 Finnish: SUODATA.XML --> SUODATA.JSON
    🇫🇷 French: FILTRE.XML --> FILTRE.JSON
    🇩🇪 German: XMLFILTERN --> JSONFILTERN
    🇬🇷 Greek: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇭🇺 Hungarian: XMLSZŰRÉS --> JSONSZŰRÉS
    🇮🇹 Italian: FILTRO.XML --> FILTRO.JSON
    🇳🇴 Norwegian:…

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ultimate OST to PST Converter

You may a 100% satisfied with the software working functionality then move beforehand for full model license to maintain the get better or transformed emails. It moreover cut up oversize PST document as much as 5GB and assist MS Outlook versions from 90 seven to 2016. Export OST document to PST is performs works very fast in all state of affairs. The software program is designed with many forms of advanced functions. It is available at sincerely $39. For more information associated with this product,

please go with this net site: https://www.inspiredatacare.com/convert-ost-to-pst.html

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enstella Exchange EDB to PST Recovery Software

Download this Enstella Exchange EDB to PST Recovery Software which is 100% well qualified and talented to do it safely export and convert damaged Exchange EDB file as well as you will proficient to save all recovered Exchange mailbox items into PST Outlook file format with original details. This EDB to PST file conversion utility gives the authority to the user to simply Export EDB items like- emails, contacts, chats, tasks, notes, appointments, and journals to several different file formats such as- PST, EML, MSG, and HTML.

Get freeware to click here-https://www.enstella.com/edb-to-pst-conversion.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. shortcut to remove all filters

easy shortcut to remove all the filters on tables in a worksheet.

I work in finance and always filtering and unfiltering multiple columns, it would be fantastic and save so much time to have this shortcut.

thank you
    Samantha Casey

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Python integration

It would be nice if we could use Python for writing macros rather than VBA. (I realize that it's possible to automate Excel externally using Python and the COM interface, but this is slow.)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Unhide Tabs in One go

Hi Microsoft Excel can you please introduce a feature wherein if more than one tab is hidden it allows us to select more than one tab so we can unhide al required tabs in one go.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Money in Excel should show due dates, statement balance, and minimum owed for debts

Money in Excel should show due dates, statement balance, and minimum owed for debts (e.g. credit cards and loans). Somehow it could track if debts are on "autopay" or paid already for the next due date (or allow the user to specify these).

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. LAMBDA functions and recursion -- calling a SELF function?

I would like to be able to call a lambda recursively on the grid without the name manager. a SELF function could refer to the function being written. Is that possible? Here's an example for factorial,

FACTORIAL: LAMBDA(n, IF(n = 0, 1, n * SELF(n - 1)))

Here's another for matrix exponentiation,
    MPOW:

LAMBDA( A, p, 

IFS(
    OR(ROWS(A)!=COLUMNS(A), p!=INT(p),p<0),
    NA(),
    p=0,
    MUNIT(ROWS(A)),
    MOD(p,2),
    MMULT(A,SELF(A,p-1)),
    TRUE,
    LET(
    B, SELF(A,p/2),
    MMULT(B,B)
    )
    )
    )
    )

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base