Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Lambda optional parameters

Using the new lambda function, can we have the ability to put parameter names in square brackets to turn them into optional parameters for the user?
    LAMBDA(parameter1, parameter2, [parameter3])
    This would be extremely useful for reusable functions. For example, I've created a function that combines arrays, but I don't want to have limit that function to passing only a specific number of arrays or forcing the user to enter commas for the remaining criteria. Similar to index, or sumifs or other function that has optional parameters please!
    Also, if you're feeling generous, I'd love the option of hidden parameters too,…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Money in Excel should allow manual entry of transactions.

Money in Excel should allow manual entry of older transactions so that the whole year's transactions can be contained in 1 sheet. Right now Money can only import about 90 days of transactions and January and February are missing from my transaction log.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expand Name Editor for LAMBDA function

Since we will have the ability to use the LAMBDA function in a name definition to create user defined function, it would be a good idea to the expand the Refer To field in the Name Manager beyond a single line. The LAMBDA function has been out in the Beta channel for about a week and already I have seen some very detailed definitions that would be difficult to maintain in that single line.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Give users option to display multiple workbooks in a single window like pages in a web browser

In edge, chrome, firefox, etc a user can open 1, 2, 3, or 100 pages inside one browser window, then easily switch between them. Let's bring that same simplicity to excel!

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Property in Power Query "Enable background refresh" - default to unchecked

When creating a new query in Power Query, by default the property "Enable background refresh" is enabled. Please make this property be unchecked by default. The cases where I need this property disabled outgrow at large the cases where the background refresh can be turned on.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Right Click > Filter > Clear all

I have a large spreadsheet which I occasionally need to filter.

It would save me loads of time if Clear All could be added to the right click > filter options, instead of just clear the column I'm in, or reapply the filter.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. In the status bar at the bottom, I would like an option to display a cell's format

The only way that I know of to see a cell's format category (e.g., General, Number, Date, etc.) is to right-click and hit Format. I would like if there was an option in the status bar called "Cell Format."

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PLEASE.....Add TTS Turbo Macro to the Microsoft Office Add-in Store

Training the Street, Inc. (TTS) is a prominent Wall Street financial modeling company that trains the majority of Wall Street/finance firms in the United States. TTS has developed an Excel Add-in that thousands of professionals use to enhance their Excel modeling speed. But since Office 365 has started churning out rapid updates, the Add-in has become unreliable and TTS has stated they no longer are making the updates necessary to counter Microsoft's changes. https://trainingthestreet.com/macros/

Is there a way your Dev team could look at this simple Excel Add-in and find a way to add it to the Microsoft Office Add-in…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Remove account information in top

Please remove account information in the top of office programs.

1. I don't care which user is logged in.

2. It is useless information. P

3. People around me is not supposed to know who I am.

4. So please hide it under "File" or whatever.

I want however to see the file name! I have 4 excel docs open but have no clue which ones because there is no room for the document name, because of this account information in the top.

Please remove it.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix bug where the Related Dates under Info is wrong when the document is created either on desctop och in a folder

When an excel-document is created either in a folder or on the desktop by using using right mouse click then New Microsoft Excel Sheet, then the date is wrong. Not only in my Excel in others too. Serious problem when satisfying version history relating to certain quality standards such as ISO 27001

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Get rid of scientific notation being automatically applied on large numbers

Excel automatically converts large numbers to scientific notation. This is possibly the most useless and annoying feature ever. Please stop.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Have the ability to change the input cell format in Excel

Writing this for the second time: the feint green cell input colour and border thickness is far to difficult to see when moving around and sorting spreadsheets. Notice that all your MS Excel Training videos have a great, black coloured thick, very obvious input box - need to have the ability to change this in defaults or wherever...see attached

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Money in Excel

Support MFA for accounts in Money in Excel

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When removing a filter from a column ... Keep the actual selected line AND DONT GO ROW 1 !!!!!!

It's so dumb, no need for description .. but well after 25 or more versions of excel ...
    So you filter a column, and you find the line with the data you want, you select the cell/row you want, and go in the menu and remove the filter .... TADA excel unselects the line you wanted and goes back to row 1 !
    really sad :(

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. A number format that lets you put zeros at the beginning of a number reference, like 00794411 for example.

Many utilities have zeros in front of the meter or company references(00794411), when paying invoices or bills, that have to be included to pay them and when corresponding with the utility companies, as it's not valid to them if the zeros aren't there. So there should be an option in the number formatting section for reference numbers including zeros in front, where it doesn't take away zeros in front of the reference, but lets you put as many zeros in front of it as you like.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. How do I prevent Excel from redisplaying multiple minimized open documents when opening a new document?

Excel 365, minimized workbook pops up when opening another workbook from explorer.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. reinstall the "change case" button to convert lower case to upper case, upper case to lower case, etc.

reinstall the "change case" button to convert lower case to upper case, upper case to lower case, etc.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Money in Excel Capital One

Without being able to get my Capital One data in Money in Excel I can only get a small fraction of my finances. Either work with a data aggregator that plays nice with Capital One (not Plaid) or allow me to import my data manually.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Currently Money in Excel doesn’t support Capitol One accounts. We’ve shared your feedback to the apt team for review.

Thank you for using Money in Excel!

Regards,

Vipin Nair
    The Microsoft Team

20. I'd like to avoid the "DISCLAIMER regarding financial market information... etc." - please allow possibility to tick off after reading

Hi
    Seeing the "DISCLAIMER regarding financial market information is provided as-is... etc." multiple times is annoying.
    Please provide a possibility to tick off the disclaimer after having read it - potentially based on the user, so it pops up ONE TIME for each new user of the spread sheet.
    I hereby hope NEVER to see the Disclaimer after having seen it ONCE in the same spreadsheet :-)

Regards
    Søren

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base