Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Clean the crud (esp. advertisements & foul language) from this suggestion list

Periodically, clean the crud (esp. advertisements & pointless rants written in foul language) from this suggestion list.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. keep the user screen size permanently

I would like to set the screen size for my workbook/sheet self and keep it as long as i want. This should then become to opening size of the excel untill I change it!
    Microsoft should not decide for me what the screen size should be!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a floating totals row to dynamic arrays

When using dynamic arrays, it would be nice to have the option of a floating totals row at the bottom of the dynamic spill range.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Phone number formatting

There should be a drop-down choice in formats the provide a formatting especially for phone numbers that can cope with +61 without trying to treat it as an equation and leaves the leading zero as is. Also you can click and dial from there if you have a phone function on you PC like cisco jabber.

formatting should assume your number is in the same country as your timezone. It should offer some choice of format i.e. +61 456 654 456 vs 0456 654 456.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Em uma tabela compartilhada quando aplico um filtro esse filtro é aplicado para todos usuários da tabela, isso é muito inconveniente

Em uma tabela compartilhada quando aplico um filtro esse filtro é aplicado para todos usuários da tabela, isso é muito inconveniente, pois atrapalha as outras pessoas que estão editando ao mesmo tempo.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. LEAVE_THE_FUCKING_NUMLOCK_ON. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

LEAVETHEFUCKINGNUMLOCKON. FUCKYOUMICROSOFT.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Getting Data from another excel file copies the cell format and style

I want to have a separate excel sheet that can get an updated data from another worksheet and also follows the cell format and style.

I can only get an updated data but it won't follow the cell format and style

If I do a copy/paste, I can get the data with the format and style but it won't update any data if there are changes from the other workbook

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. [Excel Currency Conversion Function] add Tezos XTZ (Cryptocurrency)

Please add support for Tezos in this function.
    Tezos is very popular and provides formal verification for Smart-Contracts, on-chain-Governance and it is the first Blockchain which is amendable (without the need of so called "Hardforks"). Ticker symbol is $XTZ.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Disable the "SPILL!" error function completely

Disable the SPILL! error fucntion/code completely, it is garbage and wrongfully tags formulas with SPILL! Having to go in and change formula syntax to satisfy this random error is ridiculous.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have a double freeze feature.

I need a double / multiple freeze feature. Imagine columns A to F - I have a sheet where I would like to freeze columns A & F so that I could horizontally scroll columns B, C , D and E - e.g. scroll through a defined mid-section.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multi user filtering without changing view of other users on desktop

The possibility for each user to have their own filtered view is already available for the web app. But still not implemented in the desktop app!

Since most of my colleagues rely on the desktop app, sometimes it's confusing to collaborate in big documents where each user has to use their own filters.

Please extend this already implemented feature on the web app also on the desktop app.

Thanks!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Why don't you respond to complaints?

Why don't you respond when complaints are made? Why don't you follow industry best practice and
    - send a response with a complaint number and date that could be followed up
    - include the text of the complaint so that it's not lost
    - commit to addressing the problem within a fixed period.
    Many if not most of us are paying a subscription for Office as a service, and - as a customer service - it's ****. It's time for Microsoft to wake up to what customer service is all about.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. LEAVE_THE_FUCKING_NUMLOCK_YOU_YOU_FUCKING_COCKSUCKERS.

LEAVETHEFUCKINGNUMLOCKYOUYOUFUCKING_COCKSUCKERS.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Let me open two copies of a workbook with the same name. PLEASE

Working on various different clients we often have standardised workbooks names. It would be very useful to be able to compare these quickly without having to save one of them locally under a different names.

Cheers microsoft

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. COLUMNA() returns the letter(s) where as COLUMN() returns a number

column() is great, as usually we want the column NUMBER

BUT when you want the column LETTER(s), something like

COLUMNA()

could return it.

I know you can use
    =SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(A1),4),"1","")
    but it's pretty long-winded...

to clarify
    =COLUMN(AB1) returns 28
    =COLUMNA(AB1) returns AB

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. GET YOUR_FUCKING UPDATES AVAILABLE BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT

GET YOURFUCKING UPDATES AVAILABLE BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. FUCKYOU_MICROSOFT.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix =Z1 when Z1 = "" should return "" not 0, No work around w/ Dynamic Arrays

There has been a longstanding issue as follows. When referencing a cell (e.g. formula in cell A1 is "=Z1") and Z1 is blank/"" then the value returned in A1 is 0 (not blank/"" as expected). The work around for this has always been to change the formula to =Z1&"".

The problem is now with Dynamic arrays this is not possible. Create a table with 3 columns, first 2 columns are a text values and 3rd column is a date or numeric. The write a dynamic array function =FILTER(Table1,Column2<>"Y"). The spilled array will return a 0 in column 1 or 2…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. co-authoring track changes history

I love that using co-authoring you can manage how you share the excel file with your team wherein you can set a user as view only and the others will have the capability to edit. I however extremely need this TRACK CHANGES features 1.) alert notification real-time whenever there is change. This should have an on/off settings so you can turn this on if you want to monitor the progress real-time, 2.) you can check changes history who edit what and you can set the date so that you can select from the start and end date of the project.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Reverse FIND and SEARCH functions to search from the right

Add functionality using the start_num as negative to search from the end of the string.

FIND("123","123123",-1) would return 4
    FIND("M","Miriam McGovern",-1) would return 8

This would help in parsing filenames that include paths, for example.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base