Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Histórico de Edição

Ao clicar com o botão direito do mouse, podemos ter uma opção para mostrar o "histórico de edições", e com isso temos o(s) usuário(s) que fizeram a modificações e quais os dados que foram digitados.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Need the ability to format multiple colours of text in one cell for excel online

Currently in Excel Online, when I format the colour of text in a single cell it changes the colour of all text in that cell. I would like the ability to change the colour of highlighted text only so I can have multiple colours of text in one cell.

After looking on multiple forums, I can see this has been an issue for many users for a number of years.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update Visual Basic for Applications

Visual Basic for Applications is still version 7.1 from 2012. It's high time that power user portion of the application received updates to the interface, IntelliSense, and features. That portion of the program needs to be aligned with the current features now available within the Microsoft Suite. It also needs a facelift to the Userforms palette. I suggest starting with Excel, where VBA is most widely used, then PowerPoint, Word, Outlook.

Don't go destroying developer's programs, just add interoperability, functions, and facelift.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. still have to hit escape to deselect copied items. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

still have to hit escape to deselect copied items. FUCKYOUMICROSOFT.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to highlight the row or cell where your cursor is located.

Currently there is only a line around the row number or the cell.

E.g., you are on row 12 or on row 12, column L, the entire row or a cell will highlight in a pale color different than the worksheet. This would work well for those who have 10 or more columns going across. The end-user could choose a color and it could be a toggle for those who do not opt to have the row/cell highlighted.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Side Scrolling

Some mainstream Microsoft products already support side scrolling inputs from mouse inputs that are capable of doing so with a notable exception of Excel. Ironically, I feel Excel would benefited the most of this feature. I understand that a user can side scroll with the Scroll Lock enabled but if the user already has their hand on the mouse to scroll vertically then it would make sense to allow horizontal scrolling.

Again, this capability is natively there for may popular applications with the notable exception of Excel.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jon

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. New Function to replicate @XINDEX (Lotus 123)

Request to replicate the fantastic Lotus 123 @XINDEX function:

@XINDEX(range;column-heading;row-heading;[worksheet-heading])

Returns the contents of a cell located at the intersection specified by column-heading, row-heading, and worksheet-heading.

I currently have to do this "manually" by nesting two =MATCH() inside an =INDEX()
    =INDEX(range,MATCH(C$12,$B$2:$B$9,0),MATCH($B13,$B$2:$I$2,0))
    I have created a UDF too but its VERY slow on large RANGES !! - so a hard-coded, genuine =XINDEX would be a massive improvement

Function Xindex(Rng As Range, ColVal As Variant, RowVal As Variant) As Variant
    Dim FndCol As Range, FndRow As Range
    Set FndCol = Rng.Columns(1).Find(ColVal, , , xlWhole, , , False, , False)
    Set FndRow =…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pre-release new versions of VBA

I have been having a lot of trouble with changes that are being made in Visual Basic by people who are obviously not VBA users themselves.

I am a developer and keep historical versions of the programs I am working on, and I'm tripping all over changes that are being made. And it's particularly irksome that I have go back and figure out why something isn’t working and then re-debug code that's that has been working for years..

Another thing I have a problem with is recent changes in the way VBA itself works. It use to be than when…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable multiple workbooks in a single Excel instance.

Please update Excel so that it can open multiple workbooks in a single instance, like it used to. Having multiple instances open hinders my efficiency: I can't ctrl-Tab between workbooks and I can't Paste-Special from different Excel instances the same way I can within the same instance.

Thanks

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Default the Power Query formula bar as on

In the Power Query editor window the formula bar is defaulted as off. This is the first thing I tell people to turn on as it’s key to avoiding unintended errors and future proofing your code.

As Gil Raviv says in his book, “ Enabling the formula bar is fundamental to avoid the pitfalls”

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Text to Formula

A formula to convert text to a formula; which is essentially the exact opposite of the FORMULATEXT function, or in a way, what the INDIRECT function does with cell references but with formulas.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Conditional formatting cell width

Allow conditional formatting to be applied so that cell widths and heights can be specified.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. LEAVE_THE_FUCKING_NUMLOCK_ON. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

LEAVETHEFUCKINGNUMLOCKON. FUCKYOUMICROSOFT.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. LEAVE THE FUCKING_NUMLOCK ON. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

LEAVE THE FUCKINGNUMLOCK ON. FUCKYOU_MICROSOFT.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. COUNT.DISTINCT Values

Proposal for a built-in function for: Count distinct/unique values in a range

There might be a dedicated function for counting distinct values in a specific range.
    Currently the following function is a solution:
    =SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF([RANGE],[RANGE]))

However beginner-level users would like probably a predefined parametric function, sg like this:
    =COUNT.DISTINCT([RANGE])

Thank you.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Link workbook to an Access database to use Excel as front-end GUI.

Let's be up front...
    MS Excel's database functionality is lacking. MS Access' reporting/GUI functionality is severely lacking. Why not create the ability to unite the two?

Excel's worksheet grid UI rocks for data presentation, especially for ease of use. The closest thing in Access to Excel's grid is the data sheet. Well... the data sheet stinks, like a dead carcus. Let's not even get into Access' poor and sorry reporting features - or lack thereof. Because we can create awesome user forms in Excel, how about the ability to create a table in an excel worksheet and link that table…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Leave the f'ing leading zeros!!

If my data has leading zeros, then I want leading zeros!.... How is that so hard to understand!?!... Make truncating leading zeros an optional setting, not the default.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base