Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add cell reference to Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert)

Please add the ability to use cell references or formulas in the Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert).
    This would make possible to use variable contents.

Thanks,
    Fernando Fernandes

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Implement the Stock Data feature from Excel 365 into Excel 2019 for Desktops

Basic stock information retrieval is a badly needed feature that should have been added to Excel years ago. A built-in feature would be preferable to hand-crafted solutions created by users or developers with varying skill levels.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix the "There's a problem with the clipboard" issue

The issue with "There's a problem with the clipboard..." while copy and pasting is still as issue. I was using Office 2010 and there was no problem. I am now using Office 365 and this issue is prevalent. It manifests itself when pasting a value from a cell containing a formula and disappears when disabling Live Preview. I was able to copy and paste "normal" cell contents fine before the error message appears so the official response of "another program has locked the clipboard" doesn't really hold up. It looks more like Excel has locked the clipboard from itself.

There…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Perform Calculations (Sum, Count, If, etc.) Based on Cell Color

Allow users to create formulas and that perform specified operations with data/values from only cells with a chosen background color, from a range of cells.

For example, in a range of 10 cells (A1:A10), only 3 cells have been colored yellow (either by the user or by a specified condition). A user can create a formula, such as =SUM or =COUNT or =AVERAGE, that will only use the cells colored yellow to determine the result. All other cells in the range, regardless of background color, will be excluded from the formula's result.

Alternatively, the same functionality can be achieved based…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.

When you have one calculation-heavy workbook and distribute it to other people, it would be best if you could turn off calculation for only that workbook, without affecting the other workbooks these users are working on. It is confusing and outright dangerous in potential consequences that suddenly their workbooks do not calculate anymore. On the other hand, if the calculation is on, their whole excel freezes for a considerable amount of time every few keystrokes.

Suggestion: Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.
    There should be a popup when you open the…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Protect the cell formatting property in the formula.

Which it has number in one of the cells in Excel, it has letter other of the cells in Excel. When I combine these two cells, I want to display the cell with the letter as a superscript in a single cell. I need this feature in the preparation of the table in the scientific article. However, there is no related menu in Excel. I expect you to help me with this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ordinal Position Function

A function which returns ordinal position of one specific element in an array as a number. Alternative name occurrence.

So for example if the array was like this
    A1 Dave
    A2 Fred
    A3 Jim
    A4 Dave

Then Ordinal(A1:A4,A1) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurence of Dave
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A2) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurrence of Fred
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A3) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurence of Jim
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A4) would return 2 eg the 2nd Occurrence of Dave

Function Format something like
    Ordinal(lookup array, lookup cell, optional reverse)
    Lookup array could be vertical with a width of 1 column or horizontal…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Want to be able to activate the office license to guest user

Want to be able to activate the office license to guest user. Like Azure AD member.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Colar Especial - Valores Únicos

Ao copiar dados de uma coluna com vários dados repetidos.
    Como temos a opção com o botão direito do mouse de Colar Especial > Valores, poderia ter uma opção de Colar Especial > Valores Únicos.

168 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow brackets in filename or path

When a person's display name contains a bracket character (such as a departmental suffix) this bracket is included in the folder name of a OneDrive shared folder. When a recipient of that OneDrive shared folder attempts to modify an Excel spreadsheet and save it back to the shared folder, they will see an error that the file could not be saved due to invalid characters in the filename or path. If Excel could support the bracket character in the filename or path this would no longer be an issue. (An alternative solution would be to allow admins an option to…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow wildcards to be used with IF statements

I think the IF function should allow wildcards to be used. Take a look at the attached file. I'd rather write the below function than what I have show in the attached filed:

=IF(N2=2010??, "2010", IF(N2=2011??, "2011",...etc.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Create new table without any formatting

When you create new table by default some formating and table stiles are applied. You have option to click "clear" in design tab. That command clears all formatting; color, background color, etc. But it does not change column width back. New column width stays.

I would like "clear" option to change column with back to the width before table formatting was applied. New column with, when create table is applied, can mess up your file when you import data from outer sources or when you need column with to be persistent.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Searchable dropdown list Auto Displaying Similar Items Names From a Range Provided

Kindly Find Attached 'Product Names List' Where In There Are Different List Of Items ,I Want Excel To Show Me A Dropdown List With Automatically View Item Name That Match The Words While Typing So Taht We Can Select With The Arrow Key And Press Enter To Work With Particular Item From List,

I Have Tried With Searchable Dropdown Down List But Its Not Giving Me A Eaxact Solution How I Want .

Suppouse I Start Typing In Cell, Name Of Item “ACID ____ ” Exel Should Show A Dropdownlist With All The Item Name That Match ACIDnock,ACIDout,ACIDout Lemon ,ACIDout…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Shortcut for paste as values

90% of the time I want to past as values, so as to keep the formatting consistent in the location I am pasting. Rather than having to right click then select "paste as values" it would be good to have a shortcut to be able to do this instead.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Content Pane Remove Size Limit, Add Positioning, Resizing

There is a limitation to the width and height of a Content Pane at 1000 x 1000px. This limit is imposed when resizing via mouse in Excel Desktop and the JavaScript API. This (via mouse) is not true in Excel Online (or in PowerPoint) where the size can be set and saved to any size via mouse.

It would make the Content Pane consistent and open up a huge number of innovation opportunities to remove the current 1000 x 1000px limitation in the JavaScript API and Desktop Content Panes in Excel.

The ability to position and resize the Content Pane…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base