Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BUG: Macrorecorder removes my recorded lines

If I use Application.RecordMacro to record something from inside a macro, my lines are removed if I select only cells within Excel.

A detailed description is here:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20552d76-3030-47ce-90fb-62c2cada2908/macrorecorder-removes-my-recorded-lines?forum=exceldev

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ability to update source data through Power Query view

The use cases comes up regularly when working with data sets joined from several sources, e.g. a database and an Excel table. In many useful cases one just needs to carefully bubble the change through a series of joins and filters to figure out which rows to update in the original database table, CSV file, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Printing from a web page

When I print multiple web pages, the printing has no margin at the bottom of each page. Fix this by offering margins settings with the print button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. conditional formating with icons to compare a value in the same column

With the cell just up the active cell, it's impossible. Possible with the first value on the op of the column.
    INDIRECT and INDEX are not supported.

With icons (ie:arrow up:down)
    to see if the value is the same, greater or lower than the value in the just up the activecell. To see the progression.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Virtual in-cell dropdowns

Allow an in-cell dropdown list to be returned from a user-defined function (currently it must refer to a real cell range or literal list).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop Excel Current Process

So, Excel is not responding. You've just started a really big process / calculation that is using up a lot of memory and processing power.and you realise it will take a long time to complete, if it ever does. You don't want to crash out of Excel, you'd just like to stop current process (by which I mean the action in the visible interface -rather than processed in task manager)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Crash out of single non-responsive workbook without leaving program

Sometimes we work with more than one file at a time, save regularly, but not regularly enough (that 5 minutes of work might not be easy to reconstruct). So Excel stops responding. You know which file is the likely culprit (that 40mb with multilple macros add-ins and formatting issues) and would like to just crash out of that workbook - but the only choice is to either wait, or to kill Excel from Task Manager

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Sunburst Chart: Allow for more layers (Current max looks to be 3)

Sunburst chart is great. Please allow for more layers. Tableau example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaj6x9UhtRY

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. you have taken a simple process, sending an excel attachment by gmail, and made it a nightmare. change back!!!

why cant i send excel attachment from gmail in a simple process (like it was the last time i used it) instead of 11 steps that disappear when i try to implement them? i dont want or need windows mail. stop trying to force me. i already have 2 email accounts and thats all i want.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bigger Find All Area

When pressing 'Find All', only 2 results are visible.

I would almost always like to see more than 2 results at one. I'm forced to resize the dialog box to do this.

What about making the default bigger, or making the window size persistent?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Save work books to external hard drive

to have a tab to save to external hard drive for quick access and not go thru all this clicking. I hope this helps others as I need it bad.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Insert in general option the possibility to select the angle format: when we use a trigonometric formulas the radiants are very unconfortabl

Insert in general option the possibility to select the angle format(radiant or degree): when we make trigonometric formulas, the radiants are very uncomfortable. Why not use the decimal degree?? The formulas would be much shorter and the work would be the best!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Excel to use the selected default voice set on the Windows control pannel.

A default voice can be selected on the Windows control panel. However, the specified voice is not used by "Speak Cells" or within a VBA application using Application.Speech.Speak Being able to change the default voice would permit VBA application to be written for use with a foreign language application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Concat being replaced by ERR!

I use concat dutifully because I understand that it will one day replace concatenate. However, I have saved my spreadsheet to OneDrive and then shared and concat calls were broken. Replacing those calls with concatenate is the workaround.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I want to filter data that has 10,000+ unique data points. I was on with your tech support and they said excel only recognizes the first.

I have a spreadsheet with over 40,000 rows. One of the columns includes customer full name. I opened a case b/c when I went to filter on this column, it was only showing me the first 10,000 rows :-o Your tech support told me excel has a limit of the first 10,000 unique datapoints. I couldn't even filter out the blanks :-o This is crazy to me. Please fix this so I can have the same sorting capability in a file with 40,000+ rows as I would a spreadsheet with 10 rows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Charts and graphs should auto align and snap when you're dragging them like autoshapes in PowerPoint do

. It would make it easier to align several charts or graphs in a spreadsheet.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Number format incorrect for durations from Power Query

Data formatted as Duration in Power Query will get number format d.hh:mm:ss in Excel, which looks fine for durations between 0 and 31, but in fact it the duration is interpreted as date/time in Excel, so a duration of 1 day is 1/1/1900 in Excel, a duration of 32 days is 2/1/1900.
    As the day part of 2/1/1900 is 1, a duration of 32 days in Power Query will display as 1.00:00:00 in Excel.
    Furthermore any negative durations end up in error in Excel.

My suggestion is to apply decimal number format (or just "General") to durations from Power Query.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base