Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. With "Add a place" I would like to be able to add shortcuts to folders on the PC

Add a Place should allow me to add shortcuts to folders on the local PC

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Escape to deselect selected cells other than the current cell

I think the escape key is underused. It would be good if we could deselect selected cells other than the current cell by pressing escape.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to ignore @ functions

I find myself editing a lot of cells starting with @ at the moment (don't ask me why, it's a long story) but I keep running into the dreaded "that's not a valid formula" error.

What I think would be handy is an option that allows you to ignore functions that begin with @. Yes, I know it's handy for things that come from CalcStar (never used 1-2-3 so I don't know if 1-2-3 took it from there but I clearly remember it on CP/M) but surely, if it's for compatability with a piece of software that has been discontinued…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Integration with Wolfram Alpha

Wolfram Alpha is an excellent mathematic service that can be of help for millions of people that use the Microsoft Office every day, especially Excel for the graphics, Word for the grammar, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Adding an absolute to a date (i.e. the year) so that Excel does not automatically update when the new year occurs.

Adding an absolute to a date (i.e. the year) so that Excel does not automatically update when the new year occurs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Don't highlight undone text when editing in-cell and pressing Ctrl+Z

This behaviour isn't in any other text editing software, so sometimes text isn't manipulated as expected when I'm editing and not looking at the screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Customize Cells with their own Prefix or Suffix

Format a cell or group of cells, rows, or columns so that when a number or any text is entered into subject cell(s) a prefix or suffix will appear next to (in front or behind) that number or text. eg. "31 Amps" or "11 Hrs" or "101 km/hr"
    Maybe in the "custom" field of "Format Cells", there could be an "Add Custom Prefix" and "Add Custom Suffix" button which allows entry of the required Prefix or Suffix.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Option to deactivate Excel guessing the data type

It is almost never correct. Number are use for lots of things, for example, in bank accounts, employee numbers, etc. Sometimes you just need to put some date as a name, for example: January 2017. I don't want to fight against excel every time I need to do something that simple. Since the guessing is that bad, it's better if the user could deactivate it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Let me tag my pinned documents with the same categories I have set up in OutLook.

Pinning documents in the Open menu of Excel saves me a lot of time. What would make it even better is if I could tag (or even sort into categories) the documents that I have pinned there. My work (and I think a lot of people's work) is divided up by projects - my Outlook meetings and tasks are divided up by project, and Outlook lets me color-code those accordingly. My Excel files are similarly divided, but there is no visual cue in the Open menu to let me quickly find the documents I'm looking for.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. suggestion for comment box when you write click on a cell

when you write click a cell you can insert a comment. Is it possible to improve this; where you can:

1: change the font colour; when inputting text
    2: have a different colour for the comment box (not just red) on the top right hand corner of the cell
    3 potentially to use the corners of the cell for 4 different comments and each corner having a different colour if needs be

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. disable text to columns

I can't disable text to columns. After its first use, Excel forces every subsequent paste to be Delimited. I need Excel to paste without manipulating into columns but cannot turn this feature off. Very frustrating!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow images in Comments

When creating large spreadsheets with lots of cell relationships within formulas, it may be easy to clip a small part of the screen, make annotation(s) to it and paste it in the comment that will open when hovering over the cell. This will make it much easier to understand the model

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Compare Tables

I need a function that will deal with differences in tables, e.g. Build a new table 3 from extracted rows of table 1 that do not have a corresponding row in table 2. Lite this:
    Compare the values in table 1 column 2 with the values in table 2 column 1. If nomatch copy the entire line of table 1 to a new table 3.
    Or: copy table 1 to table 3, delete the rows of table 3 that have a corresponding row in table 2 (same result)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SUMIFS with OR logic besides AND logic only

SUMIFS currently works like: SUM COL_A IF COL_B =.B1 AND COL_C=C1 AND ...

SUMIFS should also work like: SUM COL_A IF COL_B = (B1 OR B2) AND COLC_= (C1 OR C2 OR C3 OR ...) AND ...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. get humans to write/rewrite your help(less) files.

get humans to write/rewrite your help(less) files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. please include "think cell" functionalities in excel

please use Think Cell s visualization functionalities into excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base