Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Diverging Bar Charts

Hi @Office, it has become common to describe Likert scale survey data as a diverging bar chart as it better visualizes the central tendencies of the data. Myself and some other researchers have been "hacking" it using these guides as references: http://stephanieevergreen.com/diverging-stacked-bars/ and http://peltiertech.com/diverging-stacked-bar-charts/ … . It would be amazing not to have to rely upon such time-consuming / expensive techniques though (more so if there is a neutral category) :)

Attached is an example of what I have made through the convoluted processes described above.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. group objects from the slect object bar

In the object selection pane, you can click on objects and select them, but you then have to still go onto the worksheet to group them. Add the option to group objects selected within the pane

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please allow users to move items in the Quick Access Toolbar (without having to open Options).

Please make it so that users can click and drag the items in the Quick Access Toolbar to the position that they choose.

Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Key sequence MS-Office

Working with MS-Office should provide equal key sequence in each programm. This should be at least for the key sequences, which are used very often, such as the actual date. Now you have to take in Word ALT+SHIFT+D and in Excel STRG+[.], it nearly could’nt be more different.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve Color Options in Charting

Go back to the color options from 2007 or 2010. 2016 (365) is better than 2013 which was all gray, but the color options available under Chart Quick Colors are terrible. I want people to look at my charts but nobody wants to look at a line graph with yellow, orange, purple and red. And when I'm creating a pie chart, I NEVER want all of the pieces of the pie to be the same color - it defeats the purpose.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel - VLookUp

1 - The online help file regarding Vlookup does not specify that the matching values in the range must be sorted in ascending order. All of the examples show the data sorted in ascending order, but the directions do not specify that.

2 - Do you have normal users try to follow the published directions for the use of MS Programs, formulas, etc? This would be an excellent way to determine if your examples and directions are good. Normally, I find solutions outside of MS help files because they quite often are too confusing. I have an MBA and have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Autorepared range of conditional formating

If you build/change a sheet with conditionals formatings and must copy/paste cells, the ranges of conditionals formatings become long, too long and incomprehensibles.

Often the long chain may be simplify and easy to understand.

Auto simplify function isn't possible ?
    A VBA code ?

Thanks

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable Merged Cell Sorting

For rows or columns that contain merged cells, all rows or columns associated with the merged cells should be treated and sorted as 1 row or column.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow data filtering on a downloaded document, without having to click on the "Enable Editin" button.

Sometimes I'll receive a file and I need to filter the data in the charts within the document. However, the "Filter" button cannot be enabled until I click "Enable Editing" first. But I would like to keep the document locked from editing to maintain the integrity of the content within, while still being able to filter the contents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. shortkey to mark expressions in brackets

All excel versions: create a new shortkey for marking expressions in brackets, when editing a formula. It should be a combination with the arrow keys – for example WINDOW+LEFT and WINDOW+RIGHT.

If the cursor is in the formula bar, W+LEFT would mark everything from the cursor to the next pair of brackets around, but without the brackets themselves. LEFT again would mark the two brackets in addition; another LEFT would extend to the next "outer" pair of brackets, an so on. RIGHT would reverse the last of these steps or, if there is none, reduce to the first "inner" bracket…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Open source via right click menu

Please make it possible to open the excel source file via the right click menu in cells with external links.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. TRIM function without a formula

Create a function in the Data tab that would allow extra spaces in a cell to be trimmed. It could have a drop down for Before text - After text and Mid text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Symbols menu - Equations

Hello! I suggest removing the Symbols menu (equations) permanently from Excel as this would make it more "natural", since the application's emphasis is data analysis.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need more flexibility in creating footers and headers. I need PAGE of _ PAGES!!! and the Entire document location. More like WORD

Need more flexibility in creating footers and headers.
    Need PAGE of _ PAGES!!!
    and the Entire document location.
    More like WORD
    The older WORD was better than the new WORD for formatting headers and footers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Freezing Rows and Columns from moving in either direction

Hi ...I would like to freeze rows and columns in place so that the frozen columns to not move up and down when scrolling through a spreadsheet, please?

Having a feature like this would make any data in those columns always visible regardless of the cell you are using in a spreadsheet.

This would be very handy for the types of spreadsheets I create.

Thanks and I hope to see this in the next Excel update ...

Regards,
    Jennifer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fill justify removes text formatting like subscript

Formatting of text (like subscript or underline) is removed when it moves down to other rows when using Fill Justify. It would be better if the formatting was maintained.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Addition of identification instruction function of continuous area in which the same value is input

Identifies the range of cells where the same value is contiguous and has a continuous range array internally. Make it possible to format into an arbitrary identification range with 1 to 2 click operations such as outer frame ruled line, background color, etc. in units of identification range. I think that it is necessary to examine the details of the criteria that are used as the boundary of the direction or region to be identified as continuous. In this place, I present it as a rough idea.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel 2016 / 365 crashes on Exit when using a ActiveX control in the sheet

Under certain conditions Excel 2016 crashes on exit when an ActiveX control was used. Excel tries to recover data and restarts.

This problem seems to affect only Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
    Repairing office does not help. It also occurs on a new system with only Office installed.
    BTW Using Windows 10 Insider and/or newer Office versions (Current channel 1611 or even the insider version) have the same issue.

It's easy to recreate the problem:

Launch Excel
    Go directly to the Developer tab (if the delevoper tab is not activated yet, please activate, close Excel and start again, Opening…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide a view that shows a preview of all sheets tabs of a file, like tiles, all shown at once, to easily navigate to the desired one.

Navigate to multiple sheets tabs is cumbersome, and I always have to cycle through all of them to find the one I'm looking for. A view that shows tiles of a preview of all sheets could help me find the proper one with just a glance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable setting "Do not display cell value" with range specification.

Increase the property so that setting "Do not display cell value" is enabled by range specification. When entering a value, change the color density of the font, etc. so as not to hinder the input. The mode can be freely switched to the mode in which it is displayed as if it were not entered by the style adjustment button. The printing is also synchronized with the display and non-display mode state.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base