Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When loading tab delimited Text

When loading/opening tab delimited Text document that has fields such as 150:10 200:10 it automatically treats them as date fields and adds a trailing :00 to the end so it would look like 200:10:00, this really disrupts the development of my game and I have to keep the excel documents as the master copy.

It would be nice to be able to load the text document as is and not have any "formatting" added automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • The ability to blur all but a cell or set of cells

When reviewing a long list of cells, it would be nice to blur or darken the non-desired cells, i.e. reduce eye strain by having the computer focus on the cells you are working/reviewing.

(2015-11-05 - Dan [MS] changed category)

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Charts - Decomposition Trees

Please add Decomposition Trees as a standard chart type : http://bit.ly/1GLL4hH

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
          Scott [MSFT]

• Use all Excel features in any document type

I don't mind if Excel reminds me that I can't save my Pivot Tables as a txt or csv file but if I'm working on a document in Excel I'd like to be able to use all the Excel features without having to save the document as an Excel file first (and often times having to reopen the file after that).

Often I'm just doing a quick check on a report I'm getting from QlikView and I have no use saving it but Excel won't let me do this because the data type is not a real Excel workbook.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Validation in table

For years there are cell validation, where you can set input rules on one cell. It would be nice if there could be a table validation, based in input cells in a row. So you can set calculations in a table only if all effected cells are filled. E.g. a table has three columns. One named quantity, second price and the third sales as a formula =quantity * price. The validation should only allow the calculation of the sales on an row if both cells in the same row are filled..

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add a funciton to search in a string from the end (INSTRREV)

Please add a formula that works like INSTRREV in VBA.

(2016-03-08 Dan [MS] - updated title to include INSTRREV, when merging in duplicate idea)

9 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • combine autofilter with extended filter

it could be possible that the extended filter gives the same multiple choices which the autofilter gives ...
                i would love to have the simplicity of the extended filter row (just one) to be filled in, AND have the option to use macro's in which an autofilter could be used without losing the extended filter ...
                i know much more about excel then the people around me,
                but i'm very much aware that there is soooo much more to learn :)

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • unstable

Excel freezes; unstable can't handle large number of large files. New features are great but would rather have more stable product

13 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Help us make this more actionable by providing more information, Joshua. How many files do you have opened when you run into issues? What’re these kinds of issues? Have you already contacted support?

thanks
                    ash

• Please include run-time objects from previous Excel versions

When my corporate machine was upgraded from XP/Office2003 to Win7/Office2010 there was a whole lot of recoding to be done because certain built-in objects from Excel 2003 were missing, because our IT department were worried about licensing issues and refused to include them. Even to this day, I still have issues with a very complicated XLS workbook that I have not been given the budget to migrate and retest as an XLSB, because the MSCAL.OCX calendar control was missing from the new installation and all my users get incompatibility compile-fail warnings from the DatePicker control I had to replace it…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • When linking to a value that is

When linking to a value that is formatted as text the linked value also becomes text and shows up as "=shet1!a1" instead of the actual value. To fix this, it's necessary to manually reformat each cell as general. Not only that but after reformatting as general the formula has to be acknowledged, either by reentering or just pressing F2 [enter}

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Separate headers and footers for each tab in a workbook

In Word every page can have a different header and footer. In Excel (with writing VBA) this is not available. I'm not referring to a worksheet page but where every tab can have a different header and footer

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Grouping per column in PivotTable reports

You can group rows in a PivotTable on both dates, text and numbers. Would be the grate with the same opportunity for columns.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Table field names that change

You set up a Table (multiple columns) then use structured field referencing in a formula only to have the ranges names change as you copy to the right. There is a work around but why have a work around Table names are Absolute References. Keep them ABSOLUTE absolutely.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Query Stability

Hello, I love the new 'Query' features in 2016, but it's too unstable to use. I have sent many 'frowns' from that form i am often seeing.

I am commonly working with multiple connections to view and tables on an SQL server. Using the 'old' method "from other sources" is slower to setup the connections. But is 100% stable. Using the "Recent Sources" and getting the data that way, very often the data wont load or crashes my excel.

I have been trying this new feature for a few months now to give it a chance. But today I give…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • From a chart's series to x/y values range with a right click menu option

Consider adding these options to a selected series' or datapoint context menu:
                                . Go to the X values range
                                . Go to the Y values range
                                . Go to the series name range
                                . Extend/contract series range by n cells.

I've actually implemented all of this for my own use in VBA, with keyboard shortcuts. So Alt+Right extends every range one cell, Alt+Shift+Right extends every range 20 cells, Ctrl+i in a chart takes me to the X values range (or cell, if a single data point is selected). HUGE time saver.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

These are interesting ideas. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
                                  Scott [MSFT]

• Speed up xml import

Importing data from xml file into a Listobject (Table) is very slow. FIle containing 100.000 rows runs 10 minutes. Importing the same data from txt runs 5 secs.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Function Picklist and Parens

When entering a function name while editing a formula you gets a pick list. Suppose you enter =Su you get a list {Substitute, Subtotal, Sum, Sumifs,....Sumxmy2} and you pick Sumproduct you get =Sumproduct( which is the name you picked and a left paren.
                                    However, if suppose you have an existing formula =(A1+A10)/2 A1=22 and A10=33 and you want the Sqrt. So you place your cursor to the right of the = and use the picklist and Excel sees a paren and does not add another ( giving =SQRT(A1+A10)/2 resulting in 3.708099 which is not what you want and no error…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Provide a built-in method to do custom calendars

I am a Financial Analyst that works for a large corporation that has a 52/53 week calendar. All of the cool features like Time grouping and PREVIOUSMONTH for PowerPivot or Excel seems to need some work around to use the tools... For example, our months always end on a Sunday which means that our quarters are always 13 weeks. The functionality built into the app would always add or subtract a few days because everything is based on calendar.

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Copying from Excel to Word or Outlook changes the format

Copy a table from Excel and paste it in Word or Outlook and the text lines now wrap around even when there is plenty of room to keep the original look.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • MacroOptions to redirect Help for VBA UDFs to web page

Currently, if I write a UDF in VBA, I can arrange that the user sees help for that function in the Excel “Insert function” dialog box by using Application.MacroOptions. I can also hook the “Help on this function” link of that dialog to a help topic in a help file.

But I don’t think Application.MacroOptions lets me hook “Help on this function” to a web page. My suggestion is to make that possible please.

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base