Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add "Copy cell reference to clipboard" option in cells' contextual menus

Add "Copy cell reference to clipboard" option in cells' contextual menus
    This would copy the "sheet!A1" reference to the clipboard so we could easily insert it in a formula somewhere.
    This could also work for a selection, i.e.
    "firstSheet:lastSheet!A1:Z9"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow me to email using any email that I want instead of outlook popping up and not being able to directly email a document using gmail

allow me to email using any email that i have. outlook opens up every time and there is no other choice. I use outlook at work, but not at home.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. IRM read permission does not allow to change a filter or a pivot, nor to run a macro

The RMS permissions on a document for a user depend on the permission a user has for that library or document in sharepoint. The mapping from the sharepoint permissions to the RMS permissions are fixed and cannot be configured at this moment. This causes problems for users having sharepoint read access, when opening an excel workbook because they cannot change filters, make or change pivots, running macros. This makes the reading process of RMS protected workbooks unusable.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. File properties referring to a cell

I am looking for a method in Excel for refer any of the given file properties to one cell. Therefore I could display that value in its folder in a column in detailed view and I don't have to open every document to see that single value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow multiple interest rates with Future Value formula

if you have a different interest rate in future years you should be able to input the different interest rates in the Future Value formula

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Function to load styles from input cell

A function similar to that of OpenOffice STYLES(), that allows the user to directly change the style of a cell.

This is especially useful in a matrix and in dropdown cells, as the style can then change automatically, based on the contents of the dropdown menu.

I've added an example in OpenOffice as an attachment. Has to be opened in OpenOffice, as the function doesn't exist in Excel yet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Multiple Headers in One Sheet

Add a feature to freeze multiple headers so that they roll into one another when scrolling down a large spreadsheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. County Mapping Major Improvements Needed Listed!

Mapping for counties need some major improvements. Listed below are my suggestions that will hopefully get some consideration:

1. Keep the counties from graphically running together filling in prominent bodies of water such a the Great Lakes, Long Island Sound, Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay.

2.Don't limit the Key Listing to 20 names.

3. Give options to separately show and control outlines to the states, and the whole U.S. itself.

4. To have state abbreviations as an option with controls also.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Replace flawed vbe7.dll preventing Excel project creation in Visual Studio

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4014433/project-cannot-be-created-or-excel-designer-cannot-be-activated-error-
    The only work-around to this known flaw is to provide MS with credit card info despite the fact that you likely just purchased any of their office products except Click-to-Run. MS suggested work-around is to provide sensitive credit card info to MS and then download Office Click-to-Run. This, is extortion. What it is not, is servicing acknowledged defects in MS products.
    Here's the kicker, there is no sign-up list for notification if(when) a real solution will be available. What does that suggest?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pivot layout spacer column

I would like to be able to insert a spacer column for purely layout purposes.
    It would be nice to be able to do this without fiddling around with "dummy" columns and such.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a CountIndent Function

I currently use the below macro to count the number of indents in a cell. This allows me to quickly determine where something "rolls up" on a system-generated report. It would be nice if this function was not a macro but instead supported by Excel outright.

Function IndentCount(rCell As Range) As Long
    IndentCount = rCell.IndentLevel
    End Function

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. table size in excell can we have in same group different size?

for work sheet table in one group having the possibility to have different size cell in horizontal well in any way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Publish to Office 365 Group (Groups you are part of)

Easy way to publish documents from Word/Excel/powerpoint (Office 2016) into Office 365 groups.

Currently not available needs asap!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. export to new workbook

Excel can from time to time corrupt e.g. huge worksheets, vba sheets that dont exist etc...

Sometimes the only real way to fix this is move everything which is ok to a new blank workbook. Add an option which will move everything selected (user selects elements( worksheets, forms, code modules etc.)) to a new workbook.

The move should then ensure links are also updated to the new workbook. IF I do this manually, worksheet controls still point to the original workbook and I have to drag and drop or export everything which is time consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hyperlink Remembers last file location

Please add an option that allows you to select that the hyperlink function remembers last folder browsed to when selecting 'Existing File or Web Page' under 'Link to:' options in the 'Insert Hyperlink' dialog box. This could be a check box on that Insert Hyperlink pop up menu or listed somewhere in 'Options' under 'File'. This would be tremendously helpful when having to hyperlink 'cell to file' where file is located in different folder than the current Excel doc and you have multiple cells and different files that you must do this for.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multiple desktop flexibility

When you have multiple Windows 10 desktops, and Excel is open on another desktop, and you open Excel in the current desktop, Windows automatically switches to the other desktop, even though I want to open Excel on top of the programs in the current desktop.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Slicers to apply Top 10, Above / Below Average, Greater than / Less than / between opeators

Give options is a slicer that can apply Top 10 , above / below average, greater than / less than and other options available in a normal drop-down of a filter, this will replace the ancient user interface completely

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1. Document Recovery task pane reminder following crash – please default to yes not no, so mistakenly hitting return or ok at that point doe

File > Save As – start typing new name for the file, click browse to navigate to new folder location and it wipes the new file name - please fix

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base