Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to limit paper selection for printing

Like most people, we only every use three sizes of paper in the office. Yet the print menu offers 32 different sizes and requires a person to scroll through them all to select the one you want, which is always letter, legal, or ledger. Why not offer the option of limiting this list so it only shows the paper sizes that actually exist, hiding the 29 alternatives that are NEVER used? This would save time and considerable aggravation.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. chart elements controlled throgh formulae

It would be really great to provide the capability to control all elements of a chart through formulae. For instance the size of the shapes, the width of the lines, the colours, the transparency, etc.

for instance on a xy-scatterplot
    - series1.shape.size = a*x-b/y
    - series1.shape.colour [R,G,B] = [k,l,m]
    - series1.shape.transparency
    - series1.linewidth = n

I would like this in VBA, but if the same functionality is afforded as with named ranged (crtl+F3) and condition formatting to make use of formulae, then the files would not have to be saved as xlsm files.

kind regards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. muncipalities

The new map chart is absolutely brilliant! However, for it to be truly useful in Sweden we would need municipality (kommuner) regions added. Right now there is only the 21 counties (län).

Adding this would open up great possibilities in Sweden.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I would like to suggest that as there is a option to CTR print multiple pdf pages to one note from pdf there should be the same option excel

I would like to suggest that as there is a option to CTR print multiple pdf pages to one note from pdf there should be the same option excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Expand/collapse nested "user defined" hierarchies like attribute hierarchies (OLAP)

Nested attribute hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed. If a user defined hierarchy is nested with attribute hierarchies, only the user defined hierarchy could be expanded and collapsed.

I suggest, that nested hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed indepedet from the type of hierarchy.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Waterfall chart: ability to use both waterfall and another type of chart in one diagram for diffenrent series

Waterfall chart: ability to use waterfall chart in combine with another type of chart in one diagram for different series. For example, it can be very useful to show the difference between actual figures and the budget for all columns in Waterfall chart (in can be done in an form of arrows or by using one of the standard chart types)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Data validation list source loses reference to different sheet when source coordinates change

I have two cells on a sheet with activated data validation pointing to the same source list or table on another sheet. The two cells are not connected, there must be at least one empty cell between. Since the source list is on another sheet, the pointer starts with the name of the other sheet. After changing the coordinates of the source list, e.g. by inserting a line above the source list, the lower or far right cell with the data validation loses the connection to the other sheet and now points to the same sheet and showing not the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PivotTable: Row/Column Labels filter menu to have tabs or menusplit instead of list selection in case of multiple fields

List selection is way outdated and inefficient for Excel 2016.
    Two potential solutions:
    - Have Tabs per each field entry, same as sheet selection (saves at least one click)
    - Have menu screen split per each field available (allows for simultaneous sorting/filters editing, visibility; questionable how to show if more than 3 fields are present)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Right character for the right code ...

In excel 2010.. i use CAR Function for the number from 1 to 255 ...
    And i realized you have seven mistakes ...

like code 129, 141, 143, 144, 152, 157, 160 ... if you verify with Code function, you don't have the right code ...

Exemple in Excel CAR(129) send invisible character, and 129 is the "ü" ... apply Code(ü) you have 252 ...

It was so obvious that nobody have ever verify ... or explain to me were is the mistake ...

Best regards ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please add this icon to the conditional formatting icon sets.

under conditional formatting and in the directional icon sets, there are no back arrows or diagonal back arrows (reverse arrows!!! pointing to the left). If you could add this icons to the new updates this will be so appreciating.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. feature description for "merge and center"

Hi there,
    While hovering on the "merge and center" option, I saw the feature description. I never really looked at it before, but it caught my eye because it actually doesn't look like it was merged. If you look at the "before" and "after," it just looks like the top cell's contents was centered. you really need to see that the top cell is two cells, and that in the bottom pic it has become one cell. I've attached a pic of what's there currently and what I think it might/should look like. Just an observation/thought. Thanks for your time…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. vba functions popup when used as formula

Hi, I would like to guide users with a function called from the worksheet (as formula) though the popup on standard excel formulae.

Pop-up note for instance: "Spline(x, x-values, y-values)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Import data from MPP to Excel

I map data from mpp to xls. When i import data to excel, it imports extra lines of data with no info. How can i import information that has data only.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Controls for Charts also in VBA

For any shape (not just connectors), return connector format values per vertex/connector_site (and indicate which end of the connector is connected to the site)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel 2016 -> Insert HyperLink -> Place in This Document-> Cell Reference

I am trying to link a work sheet to specific cell.
    Lets say I have ~300 work sheets and i want to quickly navigate to a specific sheet by just typing name (Example in SQL Server -> objects browser -> you can type the name of table/storedprocedure takes you quickly to that object) and would like to link that sheet

Attached the sample, where i have 4 work sheets (Test,Questions,Answers,Data), I am trying to link to specific sheet here I am only able to scroll through the list of Worksheets. Instead here I would like to quickly navigate to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Text function in Excel

Text function should be compatible for different languages. I use english version and it is YYYY for year but in Dutch version it is JJJJ. If I open the same workbook from English to Dutch version, it shows error because it does not convert Year to Jaar in Dutch language format.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. VIsual Basic Editor to remain on current code window when existing .xlsm file opened.

When one is working on a procedure in the VBE and another .xlsm file is opened, the code window automatically changes to a module in the newly opened file. This is annoying when one is writing code and opens a different file to refer to it for some reason. Ideally the module shown in the code window should remain as it is. Alternatively place an option in Tools | Options ... for the user to select their preference.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. "Clear Formula" Button

In tab Home >> Editing >> Clear, need another button "Clearing Formula" that could be used for removing formula from multiple cells selected. Current option is to only use copy-paste-value for one by one cell

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base