Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to nudge a chart position using arrow keys

You can select a shape, or image, and use the arrow keys to nudge it into the position you want.
    At present, you can't do this with a single chart.
    But you can if you select 2 or more charts.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to show formulas in just specific cells and not the entire worksheet would be great

Ability to show formulas in just specific cells and not the entire worksheet would be great. I would want the sheet to calculate the formula as it would otherwise though. This may not be possible...I present this as a challenge.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Calculate Selection

If you go to "FORMULAS/Calculation Options/Manual". Once manual is selected, there are only two options for calculations
    1. Calculate Now: For all sheets in a spreadsheet
    2. Calculate Sheet: for a single Sheet

I suggest "Calculate Selection". This will be a smaller subset than "Calculate Sheet" that will only focus on the cells selected.

I work with very large files (~40MB+ if saved as xlsb) and very often I have to work on manual calculation mode to be able to handle the data. Once I am ready I use "Calculate Sheet" to speed the process, but speed is an issue…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make dynamic reference to file paths.

Here it goes, take for example this formula:

VLOOKUP(A3,'ftp://190.40.27.131/[ST.IO.01-11-16.xlsx]Hoja1'!$B$6:$M$500,6,FALSE)

What if I want the file "name" to change (variable) as I copy the formula across column for example:

Something like this could e a solution:

VLOOKUP(A3,CONCATENATE("'ftp://190.40.27.131/[ST.IO.",X2,".xlsx]Hoja1'!$B$6:$M$500"),6,FALSE)

Where X2 is a cell with a date value = "02-11-16" (for example). Row 2 contains dates, which are used in naming files.

Hence, it will be equivalent to:

VLOOKUP(A3,'ftp://190.40.27.131/[ST.IO.02-11-16.xlsx]Hoja1'!$B$6:$M$500,6,FALSE)

Therefore, you could look for a value in the same position in different "file names" without the need to type different file paths for each cell where the formula is copied.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Como proteger una macro contra programas ciberneticos? ya es posible que te roben tu trabajo

Seguridad : Qué se puede mejorar para proteger las macros?, ya que hay programas que quitan esta seguridad y te roban tu trabajo, Hay algun metodo que restringa esto?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow for read only access and read and write access separate passwords.

In previous versions from Office 2007 and below, you were able to set one password for read only access and if you wanted, a read/write password. This allowed desired users to get permissions easier without having to need the extensive knowledge of VBA.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Drag right click to right click on selection

It would save time if we could drag right click to right click on selection rather than having to drag left click then right click in the selection.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a RelativeTo optional parameter to ROW() and COLUMN()

At present ROW() and ROW(rangeName) return the row index relative to the containing worksheet. Such an index cannot be used directly in

= INDEX( rangeName, rowIndex )

so formulas such as

= ROW() - ROW(rangeName) + 1

or, array entered,

{= ROW(rangeName) - ROW(INDEX(rangeName, 1, 1 ) + 1}

are frequently used. A second parameter would refer the row index to the specified range rather than the worksheet. The formulas above would reduce to

= ROW( , rangeName ) [current row index within range 'rangeName']
    or
    {= ROW( rangeName, rangeName )}
    [an array of integers from 1 to ROWS(rangeName) ]

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Can Excel be split or better managed?

I'm finding as more and more formatting/ presentation options are added and changes made to make the product more accessible for basic use it makes it harder to actually do serious number crunching/ engineering type stuff. Today I was trying to work out how to change markers on graphs. It used to be a right click on the line and there were options. In the latest office a right click gets you options on colours and fill but markers must be elsewhere.
    I understand that others besides engineers and scientists use excel but (and perhaps this applies to all office…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Zeilenhöhe automatisch anpassen

ganz ehrlich, in jeder Version reklamiere ich schon dieses Problem: In Exel funktioniert die automatische Zeilenhöheanpassung NICHT! Das ist ein ärgerliches und existenzielles Problem, wenn man für Ausschreibungstexte z.Bsp. die Fliesstexte über die Bepreisungsspalten laufen lassen will, um die Seiten besser zu nutzen! Da leider der echte Zeilenumbruch auch nicht funktioniert, kann ich die Zeilenhöhe nicht einmal händisch einfügen! What you see is what you get gibt es leider auch NICHT! Im kostenlosen Open Office funktioniert das seit Jahren einwandfrei!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Font Color Transparency

Sometimes in summary tables, I like to not show rows full of zeros (e.g., it is now January and I have a time tracking spreadsheet setup for the whole year, I don't need to see zeros for Feb - Dec). There are instances where I need to force the value to be zero instead of a blank cell to get another formula using that table as an input to work correctly. I saw elsewhere a declined idea about changing the highlighted cell shading color because that user liked to have font color = background color for checking values. In my…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow user to define defaults for Find and Replace dialog

Make it so you can set default for Find and Replace > options > within:
    The default is worksheet, but I pretty much always use workbook. So I would like to be able to set the default to workbook, so I don't have to change within every time I do a search.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Drop down list

If you want to make a drop down box in Excel you have to enter the data somewhere in the file and select this data to insert it in the drop down list. It would be easier if you can ad values wihtout having to put them somewhere in Excel.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Text Highlight Color in Excel as in Word

When a text with a background Highlight Color is copied from Word to Excel the text highlight color behind the character(s) is removed. You could expand in the Excel ribbon with a text highlight color button, which becomes active when a text is edited in a cell.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. It's time to go 3d

Why so static? To audit a cell, you can double-click a cell and see what pops up. That's useful. For links to other pages, you can double-click the arrows that pop up. That's useful, if a little clunky. Or you can use the auditing functions to see what a cell precedents and dependents. Also pretty useful; also pretty clunky.

I'd like to be able to see deeper into a cell, as if I'm zooming in on a cell to see what it's made of. Visualize this: you click on a cell and hit a "zoom" hotkey, which brings up a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Get & Transform queries from Table-Valued User-Defined Functions

Is there any plan to have Get & Transform support queries from Table-Valued Functions from SQL databases?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fill fills from cells that aren't visible from filtering

Using Fill Down results in the filtered cell's contents to come down, not the cell that is visually above the cell of interest.

Say the cursor is in A4, A3 (containing "i don't want this to be filled") is filtered so it isn't visible and A2 (containing "i want this to be filled") is what I want to put in A4 using Fill Down. Fill Down puts "i don't want this to be filled" in A4 even though this is not the text that is visually above it.

This makes less sense than to take the data from the cell…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a Password Field

Can you guys create a new password cell field format that allows the user to enter text in a specified cell and then once the cell becomes "unfocused" it turns into a field that shows all asterisks (*) like a password field would expect to perform on a web form. You could then make some sort of small button (like a small arrow button) to all the user to see the text in the field. I do have a file like this and I selected the encrypted option in order to access the file. There are times where I might…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. identify as powerpivot

Create any kind of clue to users that an Excel file includes a data model. It seems the best way to find out if a file has any tables in Power Pivot is to click the Manage Data Model icon and open Power Pivot. There should be an easier way.

I am really surprised a new file extension was not used for such files. Files containing macros are .xlsm rather than .xlsx.

Having missed that opportunity to differentiate, let's try something else. How about if we change the text for the Manage Data Model icon. If the open file does…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base