Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When you open a file it would be nice that the snap-to-grid is turned on. I have this function in my Quick Access Toolbar.

When you open a file, the snap-to-grid is turned on. I have this function in my Quick Access toolbar but it would be useful for this to be switched on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PivotChart enable a standard Drill Action using the PivotTable Show Detail feature

In a pivot table, double clicking on the last row axis field member brings up the Show Detail dialogue asking the user what to drill on next. If you have a PivotChart hooked to this pivot table the drill also affect the chart nicely. I would like to enable the same Show Detail dialogue when either double-clicking on a pivot chart series member or via a right click menu "Drill to detail...". I've done this in VBA but it would be nice to have it as part of the standard functionality.

BR/martin

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Need to be able to disable the automatic help window!

At various times Excel automatically pops out a window for help. It appears to be triggered by some algorithm that "senses" confusion on the part of the user. I very much want to disable this function, since in my case it is invariably triggered by typos.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Should be easy to freeze top row AND AND AND first column or whatever row and column needed like in previous versions.

One says it's supported, but, well, doesn't seem so. Certainly not easy, as when you freeze the column, it unfreezes the row you just froze.. why??

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When adding lines or columns, make it possible to add more than one at a time.

I'm not sure that it's not possible already, but I would love to be able to add more than just one column or one line at a time. So let's say, you would right click on a cell, choose insert, and at this point there would be a box where you can choose how many lines or columns to add.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a recently used accounting format

HI. Would save much time having a recently used accounting format. I live in Thailand add have to scroll down a ways each time to use Thai baht.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Problem with caret direction in Hebrew

Excel 2013 (15.0.4927.1000), Windows10 Hebrew/English

Regardless of the current chosen language, Hebrew or English, the caret points from right to left.

This is very confusing.

See attached screenshot.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create Microsoft Access Query or Speed Up Refresh Time for OLE DB Type Queries

Using the legacy wizards, it is possible to refresh a "Microsoft Access Database" connection type in under a second, regardless of the number of tables being imported.

However, the new query imports from Access using connection type "OLE DB connection" take around 20 times (or more with my testing) longer to refresh the imported tables.

Future versions of Excel should either a) provide an explicit option for Microsoft Access, where it is still possible to enter the Query Editor and/or other features associated with the new wizards, b) guarantee access to the legacy wizards, or c) simply accelerate the refresh…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Spreadsheet Compare does not work with 64 bit office unless completely disconnected from a network

Spreadsheet Compare does not work with 64 bit Office 2016. Each time you load it you get Microsoft Office 2016 component has stopped working. If you look at event viewer it points to a faulting module named Mso30Win32Client.dll, version 16.0.4498.1001. It also shows that the application is in the Program Files (x86) directory instead of Program Files, which is where it should be if loaded with 64 bit Office 2016.

In our testing, we have found that if we completely disconnect from a network (wired or wireless) then the program will run which makes absolutely no sense since the program…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix Time Grouping in Pivot Tables in Office 16 (not just O365)

You fixed this in O365, please fix it in Office 16. Many users, including myself, cannot work around this by editing the registry because our companies won't let us! Please stop adding new "features" like this without eliciting end user feedback.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. In excel, For hyperlink should auto change their cell address during insert a new row on both sheets.

In excel, For hyperlink should auto change their cell address during insert a new row on both sheets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Provide COMPLETE VBA interface to be able to modify Series.Markers in VBA just like it is possible in dialog

Currently Markers of Chart.Series can only be rudimentally modified in VBA with e.g. .MarkerBackgroundColor, .MarkerStyle, etc..
    Please provide all the VBA interfaces that allow me to modify Markers properties just like I can modify them in dialog.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Extend Range.Copy method with Range.PasteSpecial parameters

I'd like to be able to use the possibilities provided with the Rnage.PasteSpecial method while using the Range.Copy method.
    Of course, without modifying/clearing the clipboard (see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/19625083-bug-srcrange-copy-destination-tgtrange-modifies).

Please extend the Range.Copy method with the Range.PasteSpecial method's parameters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG: srcRange.Copy Destination:=tgtRange modifies/clears the Clipboard

The Help states:
    Copies the range to the specified range or to the Clipboard.
    Parameter Destination: Optional, Variant: Specifies the new range to which the specified range will be copied. If this argument is omitted, Microsoft Excel copies the range to the Clipboard.

Expectation:
    If a targetrange is provided as parameter with the command (e.g.: srcRange.Copy Destination:=tgtRange), the clipboard must not be used/modified/cleared at all.
    If no destination is provided, the clipboard will be used. That's fine for me.

To reproduce:
    Open a workbook in Excel; have a worksheet active
    In Notepad copy something to the clipboard (Ctrl+C).
    Switch to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. tgtRange.Value = srcRange.Value misses to copy leading ' (Apostroph)

The command tgtRange.Value = srcRange.Value misses to copy a leading apostroph in a source value to the target value.

Expectation:
    Since the leading apostroph belongs to the value, it should be copied as well.
    Since the leading apostroph explicitly forces Excel to treat the cell's value as text, no conversion should take place at all.
    The target cells should exactly look the same like the source cells do.

Run this proc (all cells have NumberFormat="General"):
    Sub ValueBug()
    Range("A1").Value = "'1"
    Range("A2").Value = "'12/31/2017" ' American date format
    Range("A3").Value = "'31.12.2017" ' German date format
    Range("A4").Value = "'1€"
    Range("A5").Value = "'=" …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Set Power Pivot measure number format to 0 decimal and '000 separator

Creating every measure always requires 3 exctra clicks. Number > 0 dp > use thousand separator

Making this default (or allowing the default to be selected) would be great

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please extend the conditional format for douplicate to more than 20 caracteres.

I am running reports where I have to find douplicated values of in codes of more than 20 caracteres, But I found that excel cannot detect this after the nineteen one.

Is the same case when I use sum if. So I had to do it manually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Alternative to hiding rows/columns

I've just finished delivering a foundation excel course, one of the delegates asked is there a function whereby you pick the columns or rows that you want to see as against the negative of hiding the elements.

With everyone disappearing under columns of data, a positive approach could be a valid alternative.

Please consider.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base