Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Safe Macro Detection

Certain types of macros could be guaranteed to be safe to the user of a workbook. Such an example would be a UDF that does pure numerical manipulation.
    I propose that there is some mechanism to detect whether VBA could have unwanted side effects and block those, but workbooks containing only VBA that does pure numerical manipulations or makes use of only other worksheet functions should be enabled by default.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Create method to link Excel into MS Healthvault

Create method to link Excel into MS Healthvault. This would allow users to use spreadsheets inside of MS Healthvault for dynamic data analysis.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ctrl + Backspace should delete a word like it does in other text editor controls

As someone who maintains large documents with lots of text in Excel, I want to be able to edit text as easily as I do in other applications. Currently, Ctrl + Arrow keys work for navigating between words in a cell, and Ctrl + Delete works for deleting the next word. Normally these shortcuts are accompanied by Ctrl + Backspace to delete last word. Please add this shortcut?

7 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Please add a customized choice for formatting cells. None that you provide are what i want.

Excel 2013-16 - Need a choice in the number ribbon that allows us to add a custom choice to that drop down. I want a number that does not have decimal places. You dont have that choice for some reason. need to add it for us. i work with order numbers so they feed in and are too big so they show as scientific method. I need to format as a number with no decimal places. Only way to do that is Custom, 0. PLease give us flexibility. Hasnt improved in many years. nEed to add this now.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Fix X axis formatting for graphing histograms

I want to graph data from Histogram function to produce column graphs. Histograms have boundaries for each category. When graphing you can't get the column between the boundary lines on the graph and get the axis labels to line up with the tick marks. If you position axis on tick marks you get the lower boundary label of the category centered on the tick mark which is centered under the column. If you position between tick marks you get the lower boundary label centered under the column and not on the lower boundary. I need to get the column between…

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an area we are looking into improving. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
                Scott [MSFT]

• quick view how to use everything it has to offer

There are those that are naturally talented on a excel and can find his way around with ease, then there is 30% that has no clue how it all works, those are the 60's generation, you would get a lot more people buying excel if there was some explanation short training video what the benefits are and how to use it to making their life a little more organized

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make the "Edit Links" menu show you where the link is in the sheet.

I create a lot of sheets which are similar but have different functions. Because they are quite complex, when I create a new one, rather than reinventing the wheel I usually open the last one I made and use it as a template for the new one, editing the bits that need changing. Unfortunately, the complexity means I sometimes miss a change and inadvertently end up with the sheet containing a link to another worksheet. This causes a whole raft of problems. The complexity means that it can be hard to locate the link.

It would be really helpful if…

4 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Calculation mode should not be tied to the spreadsheet

The way the calculation mode in Excel is set up defies any form of common sense.

People use manual vs automatic calculations as a way to work, not a spreadsheet specific thing. I always want my calculations to be manual, though when I open a new session, the mode in which Excel starts is a complete lottery and I have to change the setting all the time.

The calculation mode setting should be user specific, not workbook specific.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Require your Developers to Preserve Windows Function Points

I don't mean hang on to the clunky old interfaces. But stop forgetting the function you folded into file dialogs, error popups, etc. Your developers are getting sloppy and dumping useful function that Windows users are familiar with. You are making it easier to just switch to MacOS, since the deep functionality has left the room and the new behavior is as poorly documented as Apple's, maybe even poorer.

Examples of issues:

- Ignoring standard shortcuts (<CTRL>A, etc.) in dialog boxes.
                        - Script kiddie dialog boxes that look pretty but are useless.
                        Why should I EVER have a custom file…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • 8 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Make sure £ format doesnt return a #value error

Execl has today updated and now I get a #VALUE error in any formula where by one of the supporting data sets uses the £ symbol (via fomating).

The fix... do all the work without any formatting at all, copy paste special, text the complete workbook to remove all the formula and then go though the workbook formatting everything... Not great but the quickest fix I've found.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Return Freeze panes to earlier versions

I used to have no trouble navigating around frozen panes, but now I do. There are a variety of problems (fire the team leader!) but the worst is when using keyboard to move from left to right pane, the right pane moves so that its left-most cell is +1 than the right-most of the left pane. IOW, if my left pane is A-C and my right pane is showing T-AW then when I move from column C with the → key to column T I actually am moved to column D. WTF???!!! This is a lousy scrolling experience.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Formatting on characters

When referencing a cell containing text with formatting on characters, let the destination cell reflect the formatting on those characters.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Create a package function so that a user can easily move a file with all its external links from one computer to another

Create a package function so that a user can easily move an excel file with all its external links from one computer to another

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Viewing 2 Excel sheets - Want to switch sides and default the Arrange command to VERTICAL.

I want a fast way to switch the sheet on the left to the right and sheet on right to left. I want a command to do this.
                                    I often set up side by side and then i want to switch sides, but no easy way to do it. I guess when i begin, i should move the sheet i want on left to leftmost side, then do arrange and then vertical. OH ...I also want the Arrange command to default to VERTICAL please. Please default that to VERTICAL. most analyst want vertical when comparing sheets. Most that i talk…

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Autofilter of Merged Cells

You need to fix the filtering of merged cells to retain the entire merged cells rather than only showing the first. It simply makes no sense as is.

If I merge say A1 through A4, and apply a filter that should return that range, it displays only A1, hiding A2 though A4?! No it is merged, thus I intentionally made it one cell, thus it should display that whole cell, not a subdivision thereof.

I've created my own function with a button on a ribbon, but this functionality should be part of Excel's core functionality.

Merged cells on a whole…

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • PowerQuery will auto update on refresh, but I would like to save the workbook 'as of' a certain date (i.e. month end)

Power Query can automatically reach out and update a workbook for the newest data. And then I can run Pivot Tables off of it. But I would like the ability (SaveAs Variant) to save the file and freeze the current data table but NOT the related pivot tables and analytics. This would be helpful at week end and month end dates for financial information.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base