Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. copy-paste formatting options icons: let's make them more intuitive

hi guys,

I've always found the existing copy-paste formatting option icons in Excel and other MS Office programmes a bit confusing and I had to hover a mouse over to see what they are meant to do (an example attached). Could we please simplify them and make more intuitive?

Thanks,
    Ivan

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. **** ******* Microsoft

******** Microshit, I just lost three ******* hours of work when Excel ******* shut down for no ******* reason and lost all my ******* work. It did not autosave as i set it up to do. ********, ********, ******** and the ******* **** horse you rode in on. Piece of ******* incompetent ****.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Theme colour does not apply to the area with outline buttons

When using dark themes, window colour does not apply to the area with "+" buttons used for outline view (see attached), however it applies to formula field and column/row headings, so it is quite disrupting. This seems to be just a bug, so basically no new feature is needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make SUMIFS syntax consistent with SUMIF, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS

All three functions, SUMIF, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS use a similar syntax:

=COUNTIF(range, criteria)
    =COUNTIFS(criteria_range1, criteria1, criteria_range2, criteria2,…)
    =SUMIF(range, citeria, sum_range)

i.e. first you specify the range, then the criteria, and for sumif, sum_range.

But SUMIFS uses the reverse order:
    =SUMIFS(sum_range, criteria_range1, criteria1, criteria_range2, criteria2,…)

Firstly, it's a bit confusing. But more importantly, it's an annoyance when you realise that instead of using SUMIF you need to add another criterion - you basically have to re-write the whole function, changing the order of arguments. In case of COUNTIFS, it's just a matter of adding another criterion, which is so much easier.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. coerce formulae returning blanks to zero, like true blanks

having recently seen the use of the double negative -- to coerce TRUE/FALSE into 1/0 values, i fail to see why the same logic doesn't apply to cells that are blank as the result of a formula

e.g.

a1= [actually blank]
    a2= if(0=1,"really?","")
    b1= 1+a1
    b2= 1+a2

the formula in b1 will coerce the blank value in a1 to a zero, and hence return 1
    the formula in b2 will not coerce the resultant blank from the formula in a2, and hence return an error

WHY!? Is this a glitch?
    Surely it's easy to correct this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. To convert Text to columns

To convert Text to columns, an option must be there for random divide the text and not fixed width

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Lottery

Many working on lottery data would need a formula to count "games out", a concept and associated figures well known. It means that Excel would be able to count how many dates back a number is absent, till it showed again and before the drawing in question. Non of the formulas available that I have tried do this, taking me over and over to useless nesting! It comes to me the idea of a new group of "Lottery" formulas adding to all those already existing (Financial, Logical and so). Macros would be easy to implement this way.My best wishes! Luis…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. VBA refer to powerquery connection without loading to table

Would it be possible to access the powerquery connection without loading the data to a listobject?

I was looking at automating an extract of online data, which was in JSON format, this is a hassle in VBA but pretty manageable in powerquery (get & transform).

So I thought maybe I could write a UDF to set up the power query connection, get the data, and output the relevant information. But it seems the only way to "access" the power query data is to load it to a listobject?

It would be really nice if this wasn't a necessary step to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please provide for editing/ feeding date in empty cells only i.e. no editing allowed without password in filled cells.

This feature will enable protection of date already fed and shall prevent accidental or intentional change of data at the same time shall allow feeding of fresh data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Without using macro, please provide feature to print a sheet n number of times by incrementally changing the value of a cell upto n times.

Excel don't have feature parallel to feature in ms-word under mail-merging printing. This could very well be achieved in excel if this feature is provided without using macro. i.e. automatically increase the value of particular cell one by one from one particular number to another particular number and every time one number is increased automatically print the area selected. Though I have achieved it through macro, but it is desirable without using macro.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow Cross filter for charts

Allow Cross filtering for charts in Excel like in Power BI Desktop

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Find/list/format all volatile cells

Any way for excel to identify all volatile cells (and maybe as a separate list, all cells that depend on volatile cells) that would revolutionise our ability to improve a workbook's efficiency.

Excel must know this list of cells. Why not share it with the user! Surely this could be done really easily. even as a separate csv file report or something...

but preferably as a button (similar to 'Show formulae - ctrl+' ) that temporarily removed other formatting and coloured cells by whether they were volatile (black cell with white font), or dependent on a volatile cell (dark grey…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Capitalize First Letter of every word

For my mailing list it would save time if every first letter of a word were capitalized automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. How to protect particular range of cells

while I want to protect particular range of cells with password, I have to unlock these cells. when I unlock, it says unprotected formulas because there is formula. I think this is problem.
    I want to protect selected range or area with password. how?

And excel has multiple way and option to do same work. please avoid this. make unique, Clear and specific.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow connecting to PDF files in Power Query

Many users often need to get data from PDF files. Allowing this directly would be great. Now the work around is to convert the PDF file to text first.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. fix arc in shapes when you make a left style go wrong

this icon doesn t work correct at left or right

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. VBA .AutoFilter

Hi there, is there not a simpler method to tell the autofilter to select all or only select blanks? for instance Activesheet.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=showall

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. a medical expense tracker template for tax purposes

There are at least three templates for planning a wedding but nothing for tracking medical expenses for taxes. There is an app for ipad called Medical Tracker I used to use, it was not ideal but it worked. I was hoping to find a template similar to that.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. R1C1 needs a suboption: RC[1] should reference the cell in the first column but unlocked, RC[+1] should reference the column to the right

R1C1 is nice and I love it across the board but especially for confirming that all rows have the same formula, not referencing the wrong row. But coworkers complain that it's less useful in certain aspects, and it is indeed. When you're working with dozens of columns, seeing RC[-25] isn't very helpful. Yes, names would be great, but when using an old spreadsheet, we may not want to go through the effort to rename everything, and then follow that up by making sure all formulas reference the right name. Yes, locking the column to RC13 might be better in some…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base