Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make it work all day without having to re-boot my computer.

I'm wondering why I was so stupid to think paying for Microsoft software would be a good idea when there's Google docs and Open Office. Microsoft works like a $2 piece of software from Easter Europe...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. scroll while holding

I should be able to scroll while holding an item to move and while highlighting cells. Right now I have to drag to the edge of whatever direction I want to go in, this is really annoying since it's so imprecise.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tableau croisé dynamique sur plusieurs feuilles/classeurs

bonjour,

Il serait intéressant de pouvoir créer un tableau croisé dynamique, récupérant des données de plusieurs feuilles voir plusieurs classeurs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. auto-adopt conditional number format in diagram

When creating a diagram, the number format of the axis label schould automatically be adopted to the conditional number format from the cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a second "Locked" option for cells, which only allows data entry and deletion when a sheet is protected.

When you have cells which have to remain unlocked for user data entry, and formulas that rely on the data from those cells, it can break the entire sheet when someone accidentally performs a drag-and-drop/cut-and-copy. You can only hope that it’s broken in a way that is glaringly obvious, so that it's caught.
    It would be nice to be able to have a second tier "Locked" option, perhaps called something like "Data Only". It would be a third check box, alongside "Locked" & "Hidden", when formatting cell protection. It would limit cell interaction to entering and deleting user data.
    It…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please Implementation of Function CONCAT into Excel 2016 Pro Plus

Please Implementation of Function CONCAT into Excel 2016 Pro Plus

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring back the option for "Show All Windows in the Taskbar". A recent Office update has removed that option. Please advise how to disable th

Bring back the option for "Show All Windows in the Taskbar". A recent Office update has removed that option. Please advise how to disable that option so that all documents open in a single Window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back ability to change ODC file in Excel

I have an Analysis Services cube that my users connect to from Excel using an ODC file. We use multiple environments (cubes), such as demo, test, and production, each with a separate ODC file for convenience. I want to be able to change the ODC file of a given Excel report so that it references a different environment, but then Excel will "lose" the reference to the new ODC file, embedding the connection information instead.

Please see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/0f78f352-f7aa-4368-a9c9-cd35030955fd/changing-odc-file-in-excel for more information.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. email insight template

Hello. I have a suggestion concerning an Excel template "Email insights". It would be great to make it possible to use it to monitor the email activity on shared generic mailboxes to be able to track the workload and speed of an entire team. So far I have only seen a possibility to monitor one mailbox. Therefore, an option to sign out from one account and sign in into another should be introduced, as well a possibility to work with shared mailboxes to monitor the working process of an entire team, not just one person.
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow user to order legend entries on graphs for ANY graph type or Combination graph

Allow user to order legend entries on graphs for ANY graph type or Combination graph

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make cells recognise phone numbers when you copy paste a phone number into a cell

Make cells recognise phone numbers when you copy paste a phone number into a cell. ALways have to add an " before the phone number.................

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. turn on sheet tabs

have turn sheet tabs on / off in the view section. Its a pain going into the menu to turn them on / off

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. tab count

have option to display the total tab count on the status bar or in the tab pop up.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Remove Duplicates button order

This is a very minor thing but annoying.

I want to remove duplicates. I select the range. I use Alt, a, m and get right into the wizard. The default button is currently the 'Select All' button. It would be more convenient if the default button was OK.

Then you could press Alt, a, m, enter and be done.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When recording a macro there may be issues with autoformatting

When recording a macro, if you copy a formatted selection from another workbook, paste the data into a new workbook tab, select the first row-column after the header then the auto-format feature may cause Excel to crash.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add time zones to the CONVERT function

Similar to how CONVERT(A1,"g","kg") is much clearer than A1/1000, CONVERT(A2,"UTC","EST") would be much clearer than A2-TIME(5,0,0).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add Paste - Invert option

Provide and option to "Invert" the data when pasting in addition to the Transpose option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. solve complex equations in excel function

It would be nice if we could solve engineering non-linear equations in Microsoft excel. Solver add-on does it but its very complicated. It would be nice if there is a formula like sum, min etc...

Microsft excel team could create a function : solve(equation,variable needs to be soved, range for solution )

for eg: if I need to solve 2(x^3)+5=0
    then i would type =solve(2*(a1)^3+5==0,a1,[0 10])

The constants described above could also come from excel sheet.

I hope I made it clear. I am almost done with engineering but this function could really help young engineers :)

Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable user to enter a value (ideally multiple, too) to jump to an option in cell drop-down list (ALT + DOWN KEY)

When you are in a cell and press ALT + DOWN KEY, Excel will display a list of all of the values in that column. You have to scroll using the vertical scroll ball. It would nice to be able to enter the text that you're looking for and have Excel scroll to those values. Ideally with multiple characters allowed. And if you could uses the mouse scroll wheel (I have a Logitech hyperwheel) that would be beneficial as well.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base