Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the COUNTBLANK Worksheet Function

Functions like SUM and COUNTA easily handle disjoint ranges. For example:

=SUM(A1:A3,A5)
    =COUNTA(A1:A3,A5)

But:

=COUNTBLANK(A1:A3,A5)

always generates a "too many arguments error".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make info on Statusbar visible! If the status bar is green, show the text in white.

In Excel 2016 (stand alone) I can't use the info on the status bar anymore. Black text on dark green ins't readable!
    So: Make info on Statusbar visible!
    If the status bar is green, show the text in white (Like this header!)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Change to Default Row Height, Column Width and Cell Alignment

Excel option that sets the default row height, column width and cell alignment to whatever the user wants rather than having to manually change every workbook.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. file is locked for editting error but it cannot be since it's a local file

i keep getting "<filename> is locked for editting by <user> when i open a local file. this is new behavior since about a month ago (the last time I used excel). the file cannot be opened on any other computer since it's not a network share. the file has always been synched to dropbox but I never used to get this error, so it must be something changed in excel. Please take a look at recent changes. didn't i see some notification about being able to have 2 people update the same spreadsheet at the same time? i'd look in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Do not use integrated windows for function help in Excel so that you can navigate the help without having to abandon entering your function

Use a pop out window for help so that you can navigate the help topic without having to exit out of the function you are in the middle of generating.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. How can I save the top 2 rows in freeze frame and keep it there every time I use it? When I open it again, I have to redo all over again.

Locking in the freeze frame rows, to keep using the same 2 rows locked each time I open the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. make it so that when i purchase this product that it will actually work.

make it so that when i purchase this product that it will actually work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. [Power Query] Replace, Move and Rename column in the same action

Hi,
    In Power Query it is already possible to select 2 columns and merge their contain in a single column.
    In the same way, when you perform transformation on a specific column (replace error, replace null, clean few things, ...) it is common to have your transformation column more or less equals to the source column.
    So instead of doing 3 steps: erase the source column, move the transformation column to the previous position of the source column and rename the transformation column with the name of the source column), I would like to select the source column first and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix issue with saving HTML pages out of Excel

I like to publish simple HTML files out of Excel, but any time I do with these new builds, Excel stops working and crashes, any time I hit the publish button, saving a selection as a web page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. size

I would love to see MS adding some tools to manage the size of the excel documents. I have some excel documents that is huge in size for no reason. I don't know how to invistigate the cause.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. version 1708

layout option in the version 1708, highlighting the table turns it into complete black. Please fix, more info in this link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/excel-page-layouthighlight-problems-version-1708/caa60c65-afc6-46dd-8317-8885a10fafa9

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. what if excel-1 contains a formula and formula contains the reference of excel-2. And Excel -2 is moved? Excel -1 won't be of any use?

what if excel-1 contains a formula and the formula contains the reference of excel-2. And Excel -2 is moved? Excel -1 won't be of any use.
    To overcome this problem, while moving excel-2 the question should get pop up, asking if user wants to leave the shortcut of excel-2(new location) at its old place from where it is being moved.
    After user moved excel-2, and open the excel-1, the compiler should scan all the formula (in excel -1) for its references and if should replace new address of reference file (Excel-2) through the shortcut from its old location(after taking permission…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bring Back PowerPivot "Linked to Excel" Indicator

Until recently, there was an indicator preceding the table name of a PowerPivot table that had an Excel table as its source. Please bring back this important indicator! It is now a mystery when looking at tables as to the relationship between the PowerPivot table and its source in Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. correction of error

TÆL.HVIS, funktionen
    In
    https://support.office.com/da-dk/article/T%c3%86L-HVIS-funktionen-e0de10c6-f885-4e71-abb4-1f464816df34?NS=EXCEL&Version=16&SysLcid=1030&UiLcid=1030&AppVer=ZXL160&HelpId=xlmain11.chm60394&ui=da-DK&rs=da-DK&ad=DK

=TÆLHVIS(A2:A5;A2)+TÆLHVIS(A2:A5;A3)
    must be:
    =TÆL.HVIS(A2:A5;A2)+TÆL.HVIS(A2:A5;A3)
    Remember the dot's

Gælder: Excel 2016, Excel 2013, Excel 2010, Excel 2007, Excel 2016 til Mac, Flere...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow sort to be based on a range in addition to be based on a custom list, or expand custom list capacity

In working with datasets that has special sorting order, I have a column which follows semantics rather than any logical sorting order (e.g. sorts by ascending "bigness" of several categorical labels and new additions are inserted at the end of each category and can be of different names in no particular order).

Imagine having an inventory of items with the following names and sort order:
    Small Syringe, 10ml
    Small Syringe, 15ml
    Small Syringe, 10ml (Long)
    Small Syringe, 15ml (Long)
    etc

You get the idea.

The list does not follow existing pre-set sorting order (e.g. A-Z, 0-9, etc). Therefore, I use…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Surch and replace ONLY SELECTION

surch and replace (only selection)

Currently we can oly surch and replace into the all book or in a specific sheet, but if the sheet has a lot of the values we are replacing it would be great to choose only the selection into wich we need to do the replacing when we´re working in a very large file it will be really helpful, so we don´t change the all book or sheet. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Print settings

Currently, Excel 2016 on Windows 10 has stopped the functionality that Office 2013 has, where inidvidual sheet print settings were read in from the file before printing. so when selecting multiple sheets, with different print settings, the correct settings were used.

On windows 10 - Office 2016, it uses the default settings for the print job of all of the selected sheets. The print settings are clearly defined inside the file, I have 2 sheets, and I can see sheet1.xml and sheet2.xml as well as under the printerSettings folder ,I can see printerSettings1.big and printerSettings2.bin. I dont know why Excel…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please add a feature to automatically fill blank cells using data in cell above

We have columns with values in certain cells with blank cells in between. Especially when entries as side headings are made. We cannot use this type of entries for sorting or filtering. A feature should be available to autofill these empty spaces

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base