Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PivotTables do not recognize Boolean type in Calculated Column formulas

The Calculated Field feature of PivotTable is not returning the expected functionality - somehow Booleans are disabled or not interpreted as desired.

=IF(OR(BooleanItem,BooleanItem="TRUE"),1,0)

returns 0 every time in a PivotTable Calculate Field, whereas the equivalent formula in a cell outside of a pivot table will return 1 for a boolean true and 0 for boolean false.

Can PivotTables correctly interpret booleans in the calculated fields?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. new function that automatically categorises elements based on internet research

This function is thought for sorting and categorizing lists of objects based on a spectrum of pregiven categories.

The syntaxes would thus look something like this:
    INFLATION(object(s), <categories>)

Of course, this would require Excel to either come packaged with or connect to a web search engine, in order to gather information on the objects of inquiry.

An example would be having a list of ice cream flavors to categorizes between fruit-based and cream-based. The function would, once inserted the two categories, associate every flavor with one of them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. i think you should be alound it if you dont have aacount

i think you should be aloud an aacount if you dont have you and if you dont want one you should be able go use it anyway ......

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Filter table data based on ranges instead of individual vales. For continuous instead of discrete variables

Currently one can filter table column data on the values in that column, which is a great feature if your data is discrete or non-numerical. It doesn't help to much when the data is continuous.

If I have 200 values that are all between for example 0,00 and 50,00, but unique the filter presets list all individual values. I would like to be able to create custom presets and filter on, for example: 0-5; 5-10; 10-15; etc.

There is a workaround now in doing so, by creating extra columns and changing them into discrete variables based on the ranges mentioned…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. flickering

After the recent Office updates, my cursor is flickering in Excel, making it very difficult to do my job. The flickering is making me physically ill because of an eye issue I have and it's hard to work in Excel for more than 30 seconds at a time. I use Excel all day for my work and this is a major issue for me right now. I understand it's being worked on, but would love an update and hope that this is something that will be resolved ASAP?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. The Find/Replace dialog box should open on the SAME monitor as Excel itself when using multiple monitors.

I've moved the Excel application window to screen 2. Most dialog boxes are good and open in screen 2 also. However, the find/replace box opens in screen 1. I can drag it to screen 2, but next time it opens, it's back in screen 1. This is very frustrating. This happens whether Excel is maximized or not.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Savedate

Option to insert the ‘Savedate’, i.e., the date a workbook was last saved. Just like is possible in Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support for relative path reference when using local queries

When indicating the path for a query/data input, allow the user to put a path that is relative to the folder file (i.e. same folder, something like ./QueryFile.xls or ./SecondFolder/QueryFile.xls). It's a pain ********** to update all queries locations when opening a model with different computers (like when we use networks or onedrive)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Get rid of the numbers columns in Excel!

Why? did you do this and it defaults to it as well.
    Another major F....p from the morons that look after these programs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Excel - remember recently used file types on save/save as

We regularly save files as both .xlsx and .pdf types. Obviously .xlsx is at the top of the drop-down list but .pdf is near the bottom. Most of the other types are never used.
    Nice-to-have would be the most frequently used types at the top.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A very useful feature has disappeard - the ability to send a file by email right away from the MS Office.

A very useful feature has disappeard - the ability to send a file by email right away from the MS Office. It should put back in place in the next update. Now I have to save the file, add it as an attachment to an email, and finally not to forget to delete the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I would like a visual if/and/or order tree option to be implemented.

These are very simple if, or, else nested statement functions built into a visual tree system that is easily built, interpreted and diagnosed. For its simplicity though, it allows for very complex decision making functions to be built from these statements. Many programmable systems, including industrial control systems, utilize these visual trees to allow for easy function design. One statement branches into more just like the ones a student would have drawn out in school using object shapes to show function type(remember the tree of diamonds, rectangles, cicles and squares with yes/no, greater/equal/less or true/false leading to lines out to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. small correction in Date & Time -"""" instead of ""- Get started with formulas tutorial 2016

Good day Team,

Thanks to Microsoft to enable windows to the world.
    now most of the companies are using eletronic papers, excel spreadsheets rather than "Ledgers" in accounting especially.
    Lots of trees are saved by not cutting down for paper production.
    Microsoft is blessed by god for this generation.

To the Topic:

This is not an idea, just small correction in the tutorials.
    2016-Excel get started with formulas tutorial 2016, i have observed an extra "" space.. Just thought of update you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. To be able to copy the directory list from a USB drive's and paste into Excel sheet.

To be able to copy the directory list from USB drive's and paste into Excel sheet. As a record of what is on each of the USB drives, without having to keep opening them time after time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. clipboard display has too much space around entries - twice as many terms could/should be accessed if formatted like a spreadsheet column

Clipboard display has too much space around entries - twice as many terms could/should be accessed - or at least 24 could be visible without blocking spreadsheet if clipboard were formatted like a spreadsheet column instead of a template.
    And way more items should be available to copy and should be easily saved and moved as a group.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. "Others" Table split option

Desperately needs a feature that's not difficult to do: A kind of maximum Output size for PivotTables and other kinds of Summary views. The function should possess the ability to create a set amount of values and/or a set amount of "others" aggregated at the bottom.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Trend line on wrong axes

When I added a trend line to data on the secondary axis it used the primary axis and was not visible. Once visible it did not overlay the data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. independent excel app

excel app should be independent or separated for use in each new desktop

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base