Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel Footer too many charaters

Our Standard footer has more characters than the allowed limit in Excel 2016. The only work around we have had so far is to convert to an image and paste it into excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give an error or warning message when you have two different data types in a column - before it breaks PowerPivot.

It would be nice to get an error message when you enter data into a linked table that is inconsistent with the Data Type in PowerPivot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dutch date format missing option

Dutch date format is missing dd-mm-yyyy and only give dd-mm-yy option. Also there are two options denoted 14-03-12, but one is with 0 prefix and the other without. There is also an 3/14/12 option which is not a Dutch format. In general Excel 2016 has very bad recognition for international formats and often picks the wrong format and has to be told how to format, and then while working with cells messes up again.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. incompatibility

I have Excel 2016 and after updating my worksheets created in previous versions, with enough macros and VBA codes, do not open, presenting the following message: "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. And shall report if a remedy is available. " And the only option is to click the "Program date" button. I ran the test on multiple machines, and it really only works in the 2013 or lower versions.

In a second type of test, by disabling auto-update, I was able to open the files, but the Active X controls do not work. And since I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When entering dates past 12/31/29 (for any date in 2030 and beyond) it enters 1900's instead of 2000's.

I want to enter January 1, 2030, or beyond, and I type 01/01/30, it displays the year as 19yy instead of 20yy. Prior to that date, it displays 20yy. It would be helpful to be able to enter dates after 12/31/29 as mm/dd/yy and have the year come out 20yy instead of 19yy. Seems odd that it does this only in 2030 and beyond.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dont show names/tables from hidden sheets

I have a lot of tables in hidden sheets to configure workbook.The user dont need to know about this tables, but they can see in 'name box'.

Please, don't show hidden tables (and names) from hidden sheets, Also, it is useless, click in names does nothing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Data Imports From Password Protected Access Files

The wizards for data imports from Access do not allow the user access to the available tables if the Access file is password protected. Make imports in the new wizards accessible to password protected Access files, just as they were with the old, legacy wizards.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. A bug in excel 2016 with the "Undo Typing"

I found a bug in excel 2016 with the "Undo Typing" (the back curved arrow on the left top of the excel sheet).
    Please, open new book1 and type some data. Then open new book2 and type some data. Now go to book1 and click the Undo typing, then the data in book2 will be deleted first. I recommend that the Undo typing should act on the active workbook only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable line graph chart rotation

Allow charts to be rotated through 90degrees or arbitrarily.
    As drawing objects.

Thus allowing the data table to be printed portrait and the chart to appear in landscape on the same piece of paper.

Currently this requires either a lot of "fudging" or putting the paper through printer twice.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Version 1705 Undocumented VBA Language Changes

As you can see by many posts, we developers heavily utilize VBA. As versions change and items are removed, we have to adapt our macros accordingly. Most of the time major changes in the VBA language happen at major version upgrades (e.g. 2007 to 2010 to 2016).

Recently Version 1705 started to be pushed out to people. I have a simple bit of code that enables the events for all workbooks that open. Prior to Version 1705 it worked perfectly, but now it fails on the variable definition. (Dim x As New EventClassModule now gives an error - "Compile error:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please add a zero all button to the margins. Add to top left corner or under the centering options.

Add a zero all button to the margins adjustment tab.Add to top left corner or under the centering options. Also add a zero option to each of the margin/header toggles. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Sort by absolute value

When analyzing data I frequently find the need to sort the data in absolute value. I typically want to see the largest values (positive or negative) at the top of the list and let all the small stuff fall somewhere below. Although I sometimes need to add a helper column to a table or range for sorting purposes it is a more frequent need in pivot tables. I add a calculated field to get the abs() value and then sort the pt by that field in descending order and then hide those columns. My suggesting is to be able to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. For FIND and SEARCH functions, if the text is not located return a 0 rather than #VALUE

Find and Search are used in every application out there. Excel needs to stop throwing an error when the text is not found in the string and simply return a 0. 0 means you didn't find the text. Anything greater than 0 would be the starting point for the match.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I am so tired of having my personal and my business Microsoft Accounts becoming intertwined.

I have a work account. I have Office 365. I installed Office on my personal home desktop so I can get quick access to my work email if I want. Same with my personal laptop.
    Come to work today and through no doing of my own, my account accociated with Office has now become my personal account. I have been figthing with this for more then a year now. I login at work and I see 2 One Drive accounts, my personal and business. Finally delete that. My personal profile picture became my work account photo at my home. Fix…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Turn off the Relationships between tables my be Needed PERMINANTLY

When using Power Pivot 999 times out of a 1000 We Get the Same yellow box Prompt in the top of the PivotTable Fields Suggesting that Relationships may be needed, Which is totally Bogus. On matter how many times I close it, every time I Open the Pivot Table Fields It reappears. Please allow us to turn this of permanently

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support scenario manager in Excel Online

I can't open Excel docs in browser since I use Scenario Manager. :(
    Please support it and increase Excel Online usability to compete with Google Sheets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Move background fill with the data when sorting

When sorting cells that have a background fill move, provide the option to move the fill with the cell. Currently, if I manually apply a fill to some cells based on random criteria and then sort my data, the location of the background fill is static and doesn't move with the data. It would be very helpful to move the background fill with the data to make to make it easier to see the new location of the data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base