Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix print of indented cells when printing as multicolumn sheet

When using indents on cells (i.e. implementing hierarchy), when printed, excel loses WYSIWYG, the print out or print preview distorts the indent width ratio to the font size. So the more the cells become smaller, the indention width becomes larger.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mark specific cells

with large sheets, there can be are many cells that need weekly or monthly updating.
    these can be formatted differently to identify them, but that does not look good in print or reporting.
    So, like the red comments triangles, or the green attention triangle, it would be great if a label could be put to a cell, preferably like a vertical colored bar on the left side of the cell, that would not be printed. This way, it is always clear which cells need to be updated.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. AI for PQ query analysis and improving

AI for assessing the quality of the query and suggestions for its optimization before executing the query on a full set of data.
    Power Query is positioned as a tool that is available to non-professionals. However, this tool in the hands of not qualitatively prepared users can lead to major business mistakes.

During the development of the request, we make mistakes and inaccuracies, due to which:
    - Unused requests can be superfluous;
    - Steps can be superfluous (sorting, type conversion, adding steps that are not used in the future, etc.);
    - Separate data may be superfluous and stored throughout the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Favourite menu in excel

Hi I want to submit a small suggestion that while using excel if we have one option which we are using regularly during workig or editing in excel.
    It will be extremely useful if we mark the option as Favourite so that we need not navigate to that particluar ribbon every time to locate it & use it.
    For example if i want to use format painter option,I have to go to Home ribbon every time.
    F4 option is available but some options wont work for F4.

Pls see if the suggestion can be implemented.

Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Blank workbooks from hidden ones appear after macros have run

"We've recurring problems that hidden workbooks appear as empty workbooks after procedures/macros have run. These "shadow" workbooks are linked with the parent (first) workbook and cannot be closed but will disappear if the hidden workbooks are made visible and hidden again. I've read several articles on the web about the similar problems and they looks like related to personal.xlsb but in my opinion it's connected to ANY hidden workbook. As I've a rather big administrative application written in vba that we use through the workgroup every day it's crucial that Excel behave correctly and the "shadow" workbooks becomes very disturbing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Power Query to manipulate webpage before collecting data

I want to import data from a webpage that does not itself update any information. This means that in order to get useful data out I have to manually enter a search string (text) on the webpage and also select a single filter option from a drop down menu. If I do this beforehand and then enter the resulting 'persistent' web address into excel the data in the resulting table never changes - because it refers to a 'persistent' search result that is frozen in time.

I want to be able to have Excel perform these manual operations for me.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Align Shapes like Powerpoint

Have the alignment arrows appear as they do in Powerpoint so when moving a shape on a sheet, the dotted line appears when shape is aligned or locked to another shape.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Display ribbon menu options to include text labels or display of text labels on hover of icons

I need text menus. Please enable the ribbon icons to include text labels and also on hover information display options. This could be helpful within any Office program.

I am having difficulty finding Text controls, and using icons alone, within the Excel menu ribbon. I cannot comfortably work in any file I don't want to accidentally corrupt by guessing at commands that have moved, hidden, or are now re-imagined as a graphic. So, in frustration / conclusion - where did Text Wrap go? Thank you for your consideration.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. alt+c

After the last excel update the shortcut "alt+c" in Brasilian version was realy messy up, you guys for some reason included a number after the shortcut and now we have to press "alt+c+1", but we can press is fast because it behave diferent if so, we`re losing a huge production speed here in my company because of that, I wish you guys could fix it as soon as possible. Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Formula Composer

The composer looks at several smaller formulas to create a single formula with the same result.

For example, take the case of extracting first, middle, and last name from a single cell, and populating other cells with the extracted names. A combination of FIND, LEFT, MID AND RIGHT might do the job, using many “helper” columns. The skilled, advanced user might be able to produce the correct combination of nested formulas to get the desired result. But other users will only be able to do it one step at a time.

HOW IT WORKS: Once all the individual formulas are…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. stop giving a ### error if a number is too long.

It's crazy annoying to have ### show up when your number, especailly money, is just barely too long for excel to think it should fit. Its fine when letters and words are too long for a cell but heaven forbid I have a number that takes up slightly more space than what is normally in there, especially when its the same number of digits. A '1' will fit but a '2' wont.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. eomonth

you have an EOmonth formula, why not a BOmonth for the first day in the month? ie if i have a date 1/16/2017. bom would return 1/01/2017.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Autorecover save to original location.

When attempting to save auto recovered files the original location of the file should be default location for each file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to send notifications to others when a document is saved.

Ability to send notifications to others (automatically) when a document is saved without having to send the document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. filter or sort

It would be perfect to be able to filter or sort not only data that are in columns but also data that are in lines.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Introduce Named Range lookup dialog from Data Validation window

I use Data Validation a lot when working with large workbooks that require a user's input, and I almost always use tables, defined as a named range, to back a List as the allowed input method. Allowing access to a version of the Name Manager (Ctrl-F3) while choosing a range for the Data Validation List would make like just a little bit easier.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. under the Excel options, create a Pivot table preferences section

Would help if users could set all pivot tables they create to start with their preferred settings rather than having to reformat each one they build. Example, Design set to tabular not outline, Summarize Values to Sum not Count, number format with commas, no decimals, negatives as red values in ( ).
    Also would help if could select and drag multiple fields (ex. columns of numbers representing individual months' data) from the field list to values section at one time rather than dragging one at a time and having to ensure they are in the correct order, as in the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. new function merge vlookup & helookup

new function merge vlookup & helookup

Vertical and horizontal search

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Restore dropped functionality and allow Slicer to appear on Pivot Chart.

In older versions of Excel, the old "pagefield"/new filter item selection values were shown on a pivot graph. This was useful, since it saved having to manually (or programmatically) add a title, or some kind of annotation. Now they are gone. The Slicer is no help since it is visible only on the sheet containing the table, not the chart - again, why? As a triple-whammy, older versions preserved the filter/pagefield's visible item count on a user resize - now we get only eight visible regardless of previous resizing. Hence one can't even easily see what the item's value is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base