Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Turn off conversion of alpha numeric values that begin with number and include an E

We use alpha numeric codes for classifying data and are finding that when we export the data to a spreadsheet, if the codes begin with number the sheet assumes that the code column is a number and formats as such. The problem arises when one of the characters in any of the codes after the leading numeric is an "E". Excel assumes that the value is in exponential notation and converts a value such as 5E02 to 500 and 5E03 to 5000 and so on. These are codes, not numbers but there does not appear to be a way to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New logical/boolean function 'EXISTS'/'IFEXISTS' (e.g. item/string/value Exists within Range)

Many inexperienced excel users find it difficult to easily determine IF a value/string/item exists within a range.

Currently there are many ways to achieve the outcome, however to get a Boolean result, multiple functions are needed e.g. COUNTIF combined with Result is Greater Than Zero. This approach/concept is not intuitive & results in people incorrectly using other functions (like VLookup), and using the function erroring as a false answer.

A new function such as 'Exists' or 'IFExists' could be created, to simply this activity and improve user experience;

Exists = IF SearchValue is found within Range, result returned TRUE/FALSe

IFExists…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please allow password protection of an Excel file on Excel for iPad! Very important!

Please create a way to password protect a file with Excel for iPad so no one can open it without the password. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. How about not ruining days?

How about an Execute Save function put into place before closing a worksheet for an update. Several hours of work was erased last night, and the update was so kind and went ahead and cleared out my auto-recovery files too. I am livid, seriously livid. Fix this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to Type a Tab character in Excel Cell

I would like to be able to enter a tab character into an excel cell using Ctrl + Tab please.

It's easier than remembering to type 4 spaces.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. allow conditional formatting to use percentages greater than 100%

allow conditional formatting rules manager to use percentages greater than 100%

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. when choosing the currency format, allow the choice of comma or period separator

When choosing the currency format, allow the choice of comma or period separator to be able to handle European and non-European spreadsheet together.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ruby(or mRuby) as an Excel scripting language

Although there's less usage in science computing compare to Python, Ruby still a powerful & flexible scripting language and easy to programming, hoping it could be another candidate language like Python.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Dropbox As a storage Space for files as an alternative to OneDrive

Allow Dropbox As a storage Space for files as an alternative to OneDrive

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I would like to have a big button to turn Conditional Formatting On or Off

I work a lot with mutli-sheet workbooks that have a lot of conditional formatting that is very useful, but does slow down calculation and lots of crashes. I would like the option to temporarily turn Conditional Formatting off or on, either for the whole workbook, or individual sheets, so that one can work for a while without the danger of crashes, without the formatting - BUT have it saved so that one can return to it later when needed, just by switching the button back on.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Interoperability problem with Excel Online

I'm sharing a rather basic Excel 2016 file I've created with some other people so that they can enter data into it using Excel Online.

Very frequently, I'm facing the following issue: some cells containing (integer) numbers with the "General" formatting style have their formatting changed to "Accounting" resulting in "1" being displayed as "€ 1.00". If I fix this from the Excel 2016 side of the equation, it comes back some time later.

I'm unable to repro this by editing the file myself via Excel Online (I've tried using https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjBPRo9wXw9s2eZp7PUayA9Pg1rHaw), so it must be linked to some of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix how Excel handles arrays it produces internally while evaluating a formula so error results are not yielded.

Many times I write a formula for a cell and though it seems perfect in its formation, it yields an error value, no matter what I try. I have to find an alternative way rather than my preferred way, regardless of which is better.

Using the formula evaluator sometimes shows where the error stems from, but often it does not. Even when it shows where, the why is often not really apparent.

Using the technique of highlighting portions of the formula and pressing F9 to show its result is often useful. A perhaps biased estimate is that 90% of the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Have all Excel 2016 documents open full screen, not lower on the screen

When I have an excel 2016 document open, and then open another Excel document, the 2nd document sits about 1 inch lower on the screen and I can't see the tabs. I have to manually move the document up the screen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Formula to get the first x row of the data set of a table

I need a function to return the first row of the data set of table.

currently, the workaround method of mine is:
    create a name "firstRowName" for the formula
    offset(tableA[[#HEADERS]],1,0)

after that, index(firstRowName,columnIndex,1) can give me the first cell

limitation:the table must have a haeder

Most of the time, my working formula just refer to the first row only. However, if you are building a new formula, it is better to make it like
    FirstNthRow(table, [#row], [headerIncluded?])

Performance to get these row is also important.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Deletion of Selected Data Series from the Chart Legend (But Not from the Chart)

Prior to Excel 2016, it was possible to delete a data series from the chart legend without deleting the data series from the chart itself. (The user just double-clicked on the data series name in the legend, and then hit “delete”.) This legend editing feature is useful in charts which contain data series which are not the focus of the chart (for example, chart annotations which are plotted as a data series). Without this legend editing feature, the legend can become unwieldy. Please restore this legend editing feature to Excel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Reapply an advanced filter automatically

Dear Sirs
    I face a problem and wish Microsoft Excel team solve it
    Reapply an advanced filter automatically or add a tab
    when we make advanced filter , and original data updated
    the filter did not reapply to get latest update.
    Wish U can find a solution or tab or command line can solve it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow custom user data / meta data to be stored in the properties of a sheet.

Often when developing Macro's that operate on a worksheet, one needs to store / access worksheet variables that are either:

1. visible on the sheet or

2. saved in another hidden sheet.

It may be preferred by a Developer if custom meta data could be appended to the sheet properties. This will allow for custom sheet properties to be attached to a sheet rather than referenced from a hidden master sheet.

I appreciate that there may be performance considerations for those people who would like to have a customisable sheet property attribute, if so, it could be controlled by having a global…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Problem with conditional formatting in pivot table (with more than 1270 rows). Excel 2013/2016

After adding conditional formatting to the pivot table with the format "format all cells based on their values", it works until the table is expanded to more than 1270 rows.
    This problem occurs when the values are in rows, if the values in the columns, it works.

Example when it works: https://prnt.sc/hcv0u0
    Example when it doesn't work: https://prnt.sc/hcv1jt

The problem was tested in Excel 2013/2016.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Renaming directly on File Title

When we try to rename the current working file, we have to use "Save As" or Close file and change name in the file list. How about change name from the File Title directly?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base