Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable a "save as hard file" feature to eliminate #NAME? error when sharing.

Make it possible to save a workbook that contains links to external sources as a hard document. This would prevent the #NAME? error produced when the excel is shared to a third party because often times the third party user does not have access to the external sources used to create the document making the links used in the creation of the workbook produce an error.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add the Rows to repeat at top function as a quick access option

I have to make the top row repeat a lot, and I find it annoying how many clicks it takes to get to the 'Rows to repeat at top' button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Since mid june 2017 Excel2016 update, "ddd" format is producing dates with a dot "."

My docs using macros, conditionnal formatting and formulas (generated by macros) don't work anymore because a dot "." has appeared at the end of the abbreviated day of the date, monday is now "Mon." instead of "Mon" with below formula "Formula":

If LangueSysteme = "FR" Then Day_3 = "jjj"
    If LangueSysteme = "UK" Then Day_3 = "ddd"

Formula = "=TEXT(""" & DateValue(DateSerial(Val_Year, Month(Val_Month), i)) & """,""" & Day_3 & """)"

It was not the case before auto update of Excel last week.
    1) Is there a new setting to deactivate / remove this unwanted "." ?
    2) How to remove…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Power Query Truncate function

Power Query M Function to truncate decimal numbers to X decimal places.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When I use the formula "=IF(LEN(A22=9),"Valid","Invalid")",the result is Valid, whereas it should be giving Error message

When I use the formula "=IF(LEN(A22=9),"Valid","Invalid")",the result is Valid, whereas it should be giving Error message, because the correct formula is "=IF(LEN(A22)=9,"Valid","Invalid")"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can't find documented option

This isn't an idea, it's a trouble. The help desk couldn't resolve it and sent me here. I am looking at

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Format-Object-Text-Box-pane-85608a80-545d-48c9-b248-6f858b3ccf4b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

It says there's an option to shrink the text to fit into a floating textbox. That option doesn't appear on my version of Excel: Office 365, Version 1706 (Bui;d 8229.2073 Click-to-Run). How can I get that option?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Work on First Click

If I have Excel and another application open and the second application has the focus, to click on something in Excel takes two clicks. The first one activates Excel, then the second one performs the action.

Other applications like File Explorer or Calculator perform the action on the first click, I don't have to click once to activate the application then again to perform the action.

Please make Excel and the rest of the suite work the same as most other applications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Return to auto closing Book1 when another file is opened without editing Book1

Previously the blank default Book1 that opens when Excel is opened used to auto close if another workbook is opened without editing Book1 but now Book1 remains open. This only started occurring recently.
    I have done a full "On line" repair of my Excel and the default Book1 still remains open after opening another workbook.
    If you believe that Book1 should still auto close and there must be something wrong with my Excel installation then fix the "On line" repair so that it will fix my problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to set or disable 'automatic format priority'

I'd love an option to either order my 'default format' or disable automatic formatting. I'm an engineer and routinely use Excel for calculations, lists, and other uses. I frequently have to insert data as fractions or thread sizes. Every time I do, it defaults to the date, and changes the data I actually inserted. The workaround is to set all the cells to whichever format you want BEFORE entering data, but that defeats the purpose of automatic formatting.
    For example, if I enter the fraction 1/4, it defaults to '4-Jan', and then I change the format to fraction or number,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. savepicture

Port vba .SavePicture from Word and VS to Excel as the present exporting/saving of pieces of the spreadsheet including any artwork is absolutely cumbersome.

Sample code

Dim pic As IPictureDisp

Set pic = myForm.Image1.Picture

stdole.SavePicture pic, "C:\myfile.jpg"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Power Pivot - display source table name when right clicking on field in Row / Column box

With Power Pivot it would be great to get a simple right-click option to see which Table our field item is from, and then change the focus on / expand that table in the field list when the table name is clicked.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow me to save a file on my own computer without signing in.

I'm trying to save a file and Excel is giving me an error because I'm not signed in. When I sign in, nothing happens.

How can Office continually ***** up OneDrive when Dropbox does everything so well?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Drag and drop to email

When working on an Excel file I would like to be able to just drag it over and drop it in an open email. Right now I have to close the file then select add attachment. Not the end of the world but it would be helpful to be able to just drag it over.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When resizing columns, let you make fine adjustments by holding down shift key

When you resize columns, it can be a pain to get the right pixel width. So what if users could hold down the shift key while resizing the column and it would do it in a fine adjustment mode. In this mode, the column won't be exactly where the cursor is - it will shift about one third as far as you move the cursor left or right. So you can see it move and see the pixel count adjust, but the mouse response is dampened so it's easier to get the exact width

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Activex Combobox ListFillRange Crash

I have a work book that uses activex combo boxes. These combo boxes are filled using the ListFillRange field pointing to a hidden worksheet. Recently, after an update, The worksheet crashes when print previewed or printed. I figured out if I remove the ListFillRange from the second combo box I am then able to print the worksheet. I see no reason that this should stop working. If I change the ListFillRange to the same data copied to the local worksheet, it does not crash. i would make this change, but unfortunately, this does nothing about the previously made copies.
    Thank…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. only first sentence's first character does not capitalize by ms excel why? is this a bug in Excel or something else?

only first sentence's first character does not capitalize by ms excel why?
    is this a bug in Excel or something else?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Open several files at once.

I'd suggest to add a check box in the File (open or recent) tab to open more than 1 file at once. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Missing commands in Customize the Quick Access Toolbar

Bring back all of the commands in the "all commands" menu to customize the Quick Access Toolbar. Specifically, elbow connector and align objects. I have noticed that many are missing. I use the elbow connector hundreds of times in a day for my job. Not having it in the QAT and therefore not having a keyboard shortcut is a huge inconvenience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. copy / insert issue

Hello Excel User Voice,

I have a macro that worked fine for over a year, but after the latest Office update something changed and the macro behaves differently.

Initially, I thought that it was the Insert method that changed, however, having tested this now i can see that it's the Range.Unmerge method that behaves differently.

We have users with three different Office builds in the team:
    1. 16.0.4498.1000
    2. 16.0.7329.1054
    3. 16.0.8201.2075

For users on build 1 and 2, Range.Unmerge method unmerges the cells AND clears contents of clipboard AND/OR sets the Application.CutCopyMode to False.

For users on build 3…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base