Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Changes to colors in Format as Table

The recent update to 1705 removed several of the prior colors that I've been using for YEARS in the Format as Table. Please bring back the original colors & expand on that instead of getting rid of the colors.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Inserting elbows and not being able to keep the shape drives me crazy!

When inserting an elbow, one could hold the Ctrl key down and drag one end of the elbow to keep it from switching to the opposite shape. This is different from holding the Shift key down because it automatically switches to the opposite shape when you hold it down and drag one end of the elbow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data->Text to columns occasionally truncates field to 255 characters

As demonstrated by the attached file, certain strings with a comma delimiter will result in the TTC wizard truncating the field at 255 characters.

Other strings will split normally (without truncation). The Column Splitter in "Get & Transform" will also function as expected.

This erratic behavior seems to unpredictable and has also been noted by another in Excel 2010, 2013, 2016 both English and German versions.

Please correct it, or at least publish a method by which this misbehavior can be predicted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Salesforce permissions in power query for multiple organizations/environments

When using Power Query to access objects in Salesforce, the only login choices that are saved are for Production or Sandbox.
    Salesforce uses the user ID to determine which Production Organization or Sandbox we're accessing. Because we do work for multiple organizations, it would be useful to have the connection information stored with the workbook instead of centrally with Excel. Having to clear the permissions every time I switch a spreadsheet I'm working with is frustrating.
    Thanks! (Couldn't live without Power Query!)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. It would be nice to have an 'Export to PDF' button (icon) under the 'Quick Access Toolbar'

Frequently I export my worksheets as PDF documents. It would be really nice if there was an icon under 'Quick Access Toolbar' to this.
    The current process makes you go back to 'File' - 'Export' - 'Create PDF/XPS'.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Paste special borders only

When pasting formats it messes the other formats such as dates, percetage etc.
    I just want to paste borders and/or cell fill wothout it affect the data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow multi-level labels for waterfall chart

Currently, if you select several rows for horizontal axis categories in the waterfall chart, the chart just shows the last row value. In older Excel charts, data from all rows would be displayed (with grouping, when necessary). Interestingly, the data does show up correctly in the 'Select data' dialog (see attached picture), but not in the chart itself.
    I think the advantages of being able to to multi-level labels are obvious, but I'll give just a couple examples from my own experience:
    1) being able to group things together
    2) being able to add numeric labels for quick reference to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel 2007 and macros

I am using Excel 2007. When I create a macro for the first time, it works fine. Then I save my workbook as macro compatible. When I reopen my workbook and try to run the macro, I get an error message telling me that macros have been desactivated due to security parameters. The only way is to activate all macros but it is not recommended!!
    The community did not provide so far a workable solution.
    Can you help?
    Thanks and best regards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a paragraph tap to the cell format window

As you open the format cell function, with the paragraph format function (the same that is in word) one can do the following:
    1- Increase / decrease the space before the text.
    2- add bullet points or number points.
    3- adjust the tap position for each cell.
    4- insert a numbering system that can be carried through out the same style in the worksheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Triangle Number Formula

Add a formula to create the triangle number of a certain number. My idea is =TRIANGLE(A1)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I upgrade a worksheet with VBA 2013 to 2016. Every 10 seconds a cgi-bin call is made, after 2 or 6 hours the work crashes, no error message

I upgrade a worksheet with VBA 2013 to 2016. Every 10 seconds a cgi-bin call is made, after 2 or 6 hours the work crashes, no error message appear, only shutdown in task. I also see memory usage increase, but no data is added

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Earlier version allowed one to scroll between the tabs of a worksheet. Home and Student 2016 does not.

Earlier version allowed one to scroll between the tabs of a worksheet. Home and Student 2016 does not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Power Query - Connect to One Drive personal

Allow Power Query to connect to a CSV/txt/Excel/Access File stored on one Drive personal

Currently the only way to do this is via a URL hack - Please support this formally

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Keyboard short cuts appears to exist, but yeah no!

Basic editing should be able to be completed without opening a menu every time. They look like maybe, but question is that really defining a shortcut? Sorry, just kidding Microsoft say no it's not, should have made it bold text for emphasis.
    Top it with taking away the ability to assign your own shortcuts...Doubled the time to make a custom form for tracking.
    Perhaps should just use Adobe software and draw boxes with the grid showing and then label them.

Previously when you opened a menu either in the menu bar, in the ribbon or with right click, an edit…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Correction in Financial function formula

The interest rate calculations are wrong which are blindly followed by financial institutions. The calculations considered by MS Excel results in wrong Present Value as well as Future Values, major blow is to loan account holders who are charged more knowingly or unknowingly by the financial institutions.

1st Sheet-Financial Institutions/MS Excel Calculations: shows the loan schedules downloaded from one of the leading private banks in India, and not to state that all the banks use the same worksheet which leads to higher EMI’s, 2nd sheet-academic calculations shows the right EMI calculations. The applicable interest rates can be cross-verified by looking…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Defaults for Inserting and deleting

When we insert something into a cell, it asks if we want to move things left or up - the "default" answer is LEFT .

When we delete something it asks if we want to move things right or down and the default is RIGHT.

In almost all of the inserting or deleting I do I need the opposite of what the default is, which frequently moves things where I don't want them - and I don't realize it until later.

Is there some way we can choose what we want that default to be? This would help a LOT!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. About sheet protection

There's a way to unprotect any password protected sheets.
    Try this.

first locked your sheets with password.

then go vba and

ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True _
    , AllowFiltering:=True

use this code. and unlock protected sheet. With this, protection doesn't ask any password and lock its self.

I think the idea; you're trying to protect a sheet wich contains protection before and tadaaa. Double protection... Does it? and magic happens.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Isn't it about time Microsoft adopted the metric system, America is the only country in the world that uses the imperial system.

Isn't it about time Microsoft adopted the metric system, America is the only country in the world that uses the imperial system. So do the rest of the world a favor and have the metric system as default!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base