Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set a more complete default.

Unless I am missing something, I am limited to what I can set as a default from one workbook to the next. Most of my work involves similar formatting. I would like to be able to set the default to include not only font and margin, but also cell size and positioning ... but why stop there. I should really be able to set any desired feature as a default for all subsequent workbooks (if I so chose) and personalize from there.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. include more signs to cell design when using Func SUM

when i'm using the Func' SUM, i can add a sign like: $ , % etc.
    But if i'm summing something else like Dimensions (meter,gram,.), Electricity (Amp,Volt,Watt...) etc? i cant add thair sign (m,g,A,V,W,Kg...etc)
    consider including more sign or free txt option .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I need a template, please

What I am looking for, please, is a template to record chains of title for real estate property transfers which can be separate and/or linked to show rights of way access.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I need to Add two OneDrive for Business Connected Service accounts in Excel for same organization

I connect to several of my employee’s OneDrive for Business accounts so that I have the benefit of seeing and navigating their entire OneDrive folder structure natively in my Windows 10 File Explorer views. This works great. I can open and save Excel documents just fine if they are in my personal OneDrive for Business structure. However, when I open a Excel document in one of my employees OneDrive for Business folder structures, I get a yellow ribbon across the top of the application that states “UPLOAD BLOCKED We couldn’t verify you have the necessary permission to upload the file.…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Position exact coordinate of a text box.

In the Excel we need to position a text box but there is exact coordinate of box postioning. Add in a feature so that exact position put in.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve 3D charting in Excel

Enhance the capability of 3D plots in Excel by actually allowing users to specify the 3rd dimension in a 3D Excel chart (unlike current 3D charts in Excel such as 3D column charts) which are mainly aesthetic and don't have much significance in the 3rd axis. Also, allow such 3D charts to be rotated freely by the user, and best-fit surface-plot with corresponding equation to be used on such 3D plots, like the current trendline feature (with R^2 value and equation) available for 2D column charts in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I'd like to be able to scroll in my browser while Excel is active

Scroll in my browser while entering data in Excel without having to click my browser to scroll and then click Excel again to enter the data

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. cell styles with lines

Please offer coloured cell styles with lines in the gallery. coloured lines can be made by adding borders and colouring them one shade lower and 50 less saturation. I do this manually but I thought other people might benefit from this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. date

When importing a csv file that has dates in the format ddmmyyyy (for instance 24102017), changing the data type for the column in the Query Editor to Date doesn't accept these and gives an error, while they are valid date fields.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support for Partial Text Formatting in case the entered text is a number

In a particular cell say A1, type 1234567.

Select "34" (partial selection) and apply Bold style and say red Font Color. Observe that the applied style is reflected in the view. (Refer "EditingMode.png" attached image)

Now press ENTER. The applied styles disappear. (Refer AfterEnter.png attached image)

This seems an issue as it works fine if the entered text is of string type (abcxyz) and not of number.

Let me know in case you are not able to reproduce the issue.

Thank You !
    Babanpreet Singh

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. sort paragraph numbering

Sort by multi-level paragraph numbering like 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 2, 2.1, 2.1.1 etc

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. hyperlink

Add the option to select "All Files" instead of just "Office Files" as the default choice when drilling down to select file for creating the hyperlink.

When creating large amounts of hyperlinks in a data table, every key stroke saved is helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. The ability to copy (or paste) all range when copying/pasting from a filtered range

If I use a filter on a column and remove blanks, only listing the cells with data. I then copy a range (visible and hidden cells) and wish to paste this data into a column of blank cells. With this, I keep the data that was filtered on the same row as before.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. =IRR(B1:B14), (0)=-450000, (1 to 12) = 50000, but error when enter in (13)=-200000

=IRR(B1:B14), (0)=-450000, (1 to 12) = 50000, but error when enter in (13)=-200000 <- equals error, but closer to 0, ie -100000 is ok.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. IF statement- allow default repeat of condition

I'm under the impression that the following IF statement will calculate "X" twice if X is true (doubles the processing overhead and time to calculate- and makes long complicated formulas harder to read)
    IF(X<=.45, X, "")

For example, here is a formula I just had to create in a real workbook:

= IF(IF((INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))>=10),AD2/(INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))),"") >=.1,IF((INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))>=10),AD2/(INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))),""), "")

If we could re-use a calculation output within the IF statement (either by making the second parameter optional, or having a "SAME" keyword, this could be simplified to
    = IF(IF((INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))>=10),AD2/(INDEX(Z:Z,MATCH(AB2,Y:Y,0))),"") >=.1, SAME, "")

Easier to read, and (if it was a true re-use of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Create small "drill down" displaced ranges for quick sums, subtracions, etc

I worked with old time accountants that would add numbers on the side and then key them into worksheets creating cursed mystery numbers lacking any reference in the worksheet they created thus also creating a nightmare for future users

So I've always thought it would be nice to be able to have an option of creating a mini sheet within a sheet (a quick automatic link to a range in another tab containing quick calcs). So maybe entering two equal signs ( == or something) a two or three column 10 line pop up grid would appear. Users could plug…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Open new window

I usually deal with multiple Excel files at the same time. Working multiple files, each in a separate window, is far easier. I know there is a work around to open a new instance of Excel and open the file in that new instance of excel but that adds extra steps. Would very much prefer that Excel worked like Word--by default every file opened in a new window.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I finded error to using beta program.

Excel documents created in Windows could not be modified on Mac.
    This shown error when I changed document.
    I attached picture file. please, chek this error.

To explain the situation:
    1] If you try to write a character after clicking on a cell after turning on an Excel document, an error like the attached figure appears.
    2] When you click on a cell and enter it, it is entered incorrectly. (Limited to Korean)
    3] Press Enter to erase the letters.

Also, the Auto Save toggle in the top menu does not work.
    I would appreciate it, too.
    I'm sorry I'm…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. keyworded arguments for charts

Hi there, I was wondering if you could enable keyworded arguments for charts and/or chart series, i.e. have a formula bar above the charts that can be managed through keywords. e.g.
    =CHARTSERIES(type='xyscatter', x= RangeX, y=RangeY, line='--', linewidth=rangeXY,marker='o', markersize=10,)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Format partial text in cell

Something as simple as being able to bold some (not all) of the words in a plain-text cell. Also font color, etc.

This works in offline Excel, and is displayed correctly if loading that offline Excel file and viewing it online.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base