Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Marking values presented more that once in filter window

While working with purchase specifications, the same positions in differens rows often appear with different quantities in each row which should be summed up for sending a request. It would be very convenient to have values corresponding with more then one rows marked by font, color, etc. in filter window…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow files to load from browser.

Before the upgrade to Office 365 (I think) we had Office 2010. I was able to go to the file search window and select the file I wanted to open. A simple double click opened the file in Excel, Word, Power Point, or whatever.

Now, the same action opens the application, but there is no file. I have to use the "File" menu within the program and search a second time to find the file and open it the long way.

Please correct this error and do an update.

Thanks,
    Kam

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow left and right vertical axes to sync their gridlines

Suppose we have a left and a right vertical axis. One axis could have, say, five labels and tick marks, and the other could have seven. But there's no way to synchronize those items so that their gridlines can overlap.

To implement this, you could offer a check box that would synchronize the two axes, or you could allow us to specify the number of tick marks on each axis so we could synchronize them ourselves. Better yet, you could offer both options.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Extend FIND and SEARCH to look for the Nth instance of a subtext in a longer text

FIND and SEARCH currently will only find the first instance of a required text within a longer text and they always search from the beginning or to the right of a specified position. These functions would be much more useful if one could for example look for the third comma in a text or (most easily instituted by using negative counts) for the, say, third comma from the end of the text. So instance -1 of "a" in "banana" would yield a position of 6, the last "a" in the word, and instance 2 of "n" would yield 5, the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. multiple case statements in switch function

The new switch function is great. It would be even better if multiple case statements could be grouped together. Maybe SWITCH(expression,{value1,value2,value3,...},result1,{value4,value5,...},result2,...) or maybe SWITCH(expression,SWITCHOR(val1,val2,...),result1,...).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add conditional TEXTJOIN

There is a popular user defined function publishe on the web called CONCATENATEIF (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22639868/vba-user-defined-function-for-concatenate-if-by-rows)
    It extends TEXTJOIN to include a conditional.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel doesn’t register .xltx as a file type it is able to open

Excel 2016 no longer registers .xltx as a file type it is able to open. This is clearly an error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Top 10 filter + extra selection of your choice

It is not possible to compare some item in a group with the top x of the that group in the same pivot table. It is useful to give some context to that that item when we produce reports. e.g. top 10 economies by GDP + the GDP of Cameroon.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Capability to resize Title bar, Tab names (of masked Ribbon) and Quick Access Toolbar

Hello,

Moving from Excel 2013 to 2016 lead to loose 1+ raw (same zooming) because Title bar, Tabs of masked Ribbon and Quick access bar are higher. This is a problem at least for these reasons :
    - Sheets sized to fit a sceen (2013) ... don't fit any longer
    - Screens height became smaller with 16/9 (cinema format) pushing us to scroll and scroll...Various bars (Title, Quick Access, Menu..) are now taking more space see hard copy leading us to scroll even more !

It would be great to be able to resize (height, text and icons) these bars…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Generalize MINIF and MAXIF to be SMALLIF and LARGEIF

The new conditional MIN and MAX formulae are great. Conditionalizing SMALL and LARGE would take this to the next level. A conditional version of SMALL based on the ordinary tool-set is very cumbersome.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Direct Query to Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, SQL Server

I want to connect Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, and SQL Server by Direct Query of Data source.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. [VBA] Shape color is not visible with Excel 2016, but is with Excel 2013

I've made a code for studying function SIN and COS. It's like an analog clock that shows only second hand(Line shape).
    It works as expected with Excel 2013. But with Excel 2016, second hand(colored red) cannot be seen, only marks(both ends of Line) can be seen.
    I've reproduced this, in Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
    --- my code ---
    ' --- for "Sleep" スリープ関数(API)の宣言
    Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

' ---[10] Analog Clock (display second hand) (アナログ時計・秒針を表示:サイン、コサインの練習)
    Public Sub prcShowAnalogClock()

Call prc_Clear_Clock    ' -- delete Oval and Line already exist: 既存の円と直線を削除

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Function Syntax

I am applying formulas in excel by viewing the syntax which always
    For example : Sumif(range,criteria,[sum range])

Everytime you press "," it highlighting in Bold which criteria you are mentioning.
    Now recently what I have found that if any sheet name contains any "," in it and you are applying the formula(example : sumif) from it, then it will not showing all syntax.

Not sure if this is correct forum. but just found this issue and what to share if we can remove this bug.

Regards,
    Rajender

Regards,
    Rajender

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix the "Auto-Save Has Been Suspended for this Session" bug

Seemingly randomly, Excel will decide to pop up this error message. Once it happens, I know I'm screwed because any attempt to save the workbook will fail. The only way to prevent from losing changes is to copy them to a new workbook, save that workbook and then restart excel and copy changes back into the origin workbook.

This happens with huge spreadsheets and small ones, and I've even seen it pop up when I was not interacting with Excel at all. I.e. I was in a different application at the time, so I don't have a solid repro. That…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Worksheet function like VBA.VAL()

VBA VAL("10 items") gives 10
    Excel fn =VALUE("10 items") gives #VALUE!
    Of course I can use a UDF but I'd like a native function that returned the value of the first numeric characters of a string. Even better if it can get values inside text ("Total 10 items") but I can see problems with separated digits and dots and commas so a simple behaviour like VAL() will do, thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. [BUG] Office365 Excel 2016(16.0.6568.2025 or 16.0.6568.2036) keep crash with "Microsoft Excel has stopped working"

For example, a single cell contain 15 lines text(use "ALT+ENTER"), when double click to enter edit mode, then select 11 lines(just more than 10 lines) text, don't go anywhere, just keep in edit mode, when you press "Ctrl+C" 2 or 3 times, Excel will 100% stop working. This bug can be reproduced in new version 16.0.6568.2025 or the latest version 16.0.6568.2036. If select less than 10 lines, it should be fine. But there doesn't have same bug in the previous version, i.e. 16.0.6366.2068 or 16.0.6001.1068. If anyone in M$ DEV team can see this, please help to double check! ;-)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. For technical users of Excel, we absolutely need more symbols in the charts. Double new symbols: simply flag all existing symbols.

Simply adding "flags" to all existing symbols, with optional color and fill options (for the symbol), can create double the number of symbols currently available. This is needed for highly technical charts. Also, if the symbol choices were made at the time the data were selected, much time could be saved from adjusting the chart later. "Flags" are simply a 45-degree-line tick mark on the upper right side of the symbol.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the additional details. We’ll consider this in our future planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

20. Simultaneous file saving output.

Usually I save one excel file into an htm and pdf format. and I have to repeat the process of saving. How about there could be an option where a user can save a file simultaneously to different outputs. In my case. If I could save my file as an html and pdf at the same time, that would be truly helpful in my work. Totally saves a lot of time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base