Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. subtotal

When creating a subtotal it would be great if you could select what the subtotal cell formatting is (i.e. bold, highlighted, top and bottom border, etc.) Also add the option for a blank row after the subtotal.row

Both of these option would make it a lot easier to read the spreadsheet!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Numbers converting in words function

Pls add the function of converting numbers in words, doing it through VB insert option is quit hectic problem.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Embed objects and graphics alongside text in a cell

Embed objects and graphics alongside text in a cell so that the object or graphic can move with the text as edits or links are made to that cell. Also, enable embedded objects and graphics to be defined and changed within the text according to logic arguments.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please allow us to write formulas based on colors

Using conditional formatting and then using COUNTIF() based on color or a saved style of the cells would be so much easier than writing those long CSE SUMPRODUCT() formulas. Please add it in the next version so I don't have to spend 5 hours writing formulas again.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Paste tables from word / outlook without splitting multiline cells into multiple rows

let users paste a table from Word / Outlook to excel without introducing new rows... (just ignore the line breaks so that multiple lines of text from a cell in WORD is still just one cell in EXCEL.

these tables in word or outlook are probably pasted from Excel to word/outlook in the first place :)

copying tables back should be the same... or maybe a PASTE SPECIAL option "paste from table"...

Without this feature, your users have been for the past decade using workarounds like:
    * paste in to google sheets and moving that file back...
    * replace newline…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make Excel use the standard printer settings, rather than force users to manually adjust every single tab to print in color

The title says it all. The current setup is not only absolutely unacceptable but it is also absolutely inconceivable how an engineer could ever have thought this is an economic and user-friendly way of printing workbooks.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. drag and drop

I have an excel file open. I would like to be able to attach the excel file to an open email by dragging the excel screen to the body of the open email. Please release in the next version. Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Team Chat

Small chat windows for users currently editing a document to chat in. Windows would be on a document by document basis and visible to all users editing the document

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. why is every subsequent edition of MS Office worse than the previous? It was so easy to format a data series in a chart. Return to 2003 ver

Formatting a chart used to be so easy. Now it is beyond cumbersome: some things just can't be done. Go back to the 2003 version of Excel! It used to be so easy. Each subsequent version of MS Office since then has been worse.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Generate preview icons for files (objects) linked in Excel & Word

Hi,
    I'd like to generate preview images from files that are hyperlinked through Office products (specifically Excel and Word). Use case is hyperlinks connected to a large number of files in a small engineering business/ supply chain environment. I have the ability to batch generate hyperlinks in MS Office, however I need the ability for those hyperlinks to display preview images (or icons of adjustable size) for data users without product background, technical experience, or the time to source the information through the directory structure.
    Many thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Generate preview icons for files (objects) linked in Excel & Word

Hi,
    I'd like to generate preview images from files that are hyperlinked through Office products (specifically Excel and Word). Use case is hyperlinks connected to a large number of files in a small engineering business/ supply chain environment. I have the ability to batch generate hyperlinks in MS Office, however I need the ability for those hyperlinks to display preview images (or icons of adjustable size) for data users without product background, technical experience, or the time to source the information through the directory structure.
    Many thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Sticky Formulas

Enter a Formula in a cell and the formula calculates until it is overwritten. When the overwrite is removed / cell cleared, the formula automatically returns.

e.g. =STICKYFORMULA(<default_value>,formula)

An indicator to show they are Sticky Formulas and a menu / context menu option to "Remove Sticky Formula" would be required on these cells.

And as an extension to this allow the formula to reference the value entered into the cell to be used as a variable in the formula.

e.g. =STICKYFORMULA(<cellvalue>, <default_value>, formula)

example
    User enters: =STICKYFORMULA(10, defaultvalue*100)
    Cell displays: 1000
    User then writes 50 into the cell.
    The

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add native support for Polar Charts

Polar charts are used often in Engineering so it is surprising that it is not included as a native type in Excel.

It can be faked using the scatter (XY) chart but that is very clumsy as you have to convert polar data to cartesian and then create your own circular and radial grid lines and labels too.

It seems like this basic type could easily be supported without having to rely on add-ins or tedious calculations.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. forms controls - formatting options

It would be great if the basic forms controls were enhanced to allow some of the shape formatting options (like fill color).

Use case: with background empty or white, add a forms control button on the page, and the color of the button is so light that the button doesn't stand out on the page. The workaround is to add an extra shape, put it behind the button, align centers, etc and format the new shape fill with a darker color so the button stands out. This does not have as professional a look as a directly formatted button, and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. CTRL-TAB does not function as intended - extremely frustrating.

In prior versions of excel, ctrl-tab would cycle through workbooks while keeping all workbooks visible. It was a great way to quickly flick back and forth between active workbooks.

In Excel 2016, ctrl tab will minimize the previously open workbook when it cycles to the next. This is infuriating as you may be looking at multiple windows side by side to compare data.

A fix for this is to use the traditional alt-w-a-v (organize vertical) shortcut which fixes the minimization error. Please fix!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Rows to repeat at top of page (headings)

This used to be a thing in Excel. In Page Setup you could specify rows to repeat on each page (top/bottom/side) for things like column headings.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please reinstitute Autosave for local files

Back in Excel '97 and other previous versions, you could Autosave local files. Now on the subscription model, the feature is apparently restricted to cloud-based files. I save my stuff locally. Sometimes I don't have access to the internet or have issues with power. I'm also a big fan of keeping my source data secure and if I'm the only one working on a file, I see no reason to keep anything but a periodic backup on a different (locally-networked) computer. Autosave was a feature in editions of Excel that existed before the cloud, I'd like to see it return.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Export the results of Spreadsheet Compare as a spreadsheet with highlighted differences instead of a list of changed cells

In the former version "Essential Spreadsheet Compare 1.34.8" the comparison gives you an output where you have in the same spreadsheet the changed rows in red with a strike on top and the new ones in green . This allows users to identify the changes maintaining the view of the whole row and to easily replace the old by the new rows and keep a tracking of the changes.
    In the new version you just have a list of the cells that changed and what changed. Although the program shows you a spreadsheet with the differences highlighted it does not…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Cell should be highlited if we will link that cell with another cell.

If we will link one cell with any other cell through '=' , then the linked cell should get highlited.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. It will be great if we have compare option to compare data between 2 sheets to analyse missing or changed cell value

It will be great if we have compare option to compare data between 2 sheets to analyse missing or changed cell value

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base