Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back drag handles to freeze rows and columns

Current versions of Excel have removed the drag handles to lock rows/columns. While there is an alternative option now via the Freeze pains route, it's more time consuming (you have to select the row/column, then click away to the ribbon and click to choose your option). It basically doesn't work as well and slows down work. Why can't MS leave the earlier way of locking rows/columns?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Be able to use functions (eg. Concatenate) in chart titles.

Be able to use functions (eg. Concatenate) in chart titles.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Crosshair display

A simple display option to easily navigate around larger spreadsheets.

The entire row & column of the cell selected would be highlighted in some way.

I've used the following macro to achieve this:

Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    'Update 20140318
    Static xRow
    Static xColumn
    If xColumn <> "" Then

With Columns(xColumn).Interior

.ColorIndex = xlNone
    End With
    With Rows(xRow).Interior
    .ColorIndex = xlNone
    End With

End If
    pRow = Selection.Row
    pColumn = Selection.Column
    xRow = pRow
    xColumn = pColumn
    With Columns(pColumn).Interior

.ColorIndex = 6

.Pattern = xlSolid

End With
    With Rows(pRow).Interior

.ColorIndex = 6

.Pattern = xlSolid

End With
    End Sub

The…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. disable text wrapping in charts

There should be a way, without coding, to default to not wrapping the text in formatting data labels? Yes, a chart template can be created; however, what happens when one forgets and realizes too late? Better to have the function than not because it is very frustrating to go through all the charts to deselect that option.

Thank you!

Also, during this process I found the when going from chart to chart to disable the wrap text, the 'option' does not stay on what I am trying to do with the text. Instead it switches over to the label options…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow for different themes/menu bar colours for each instance / window of Excel open

Hi there,
    I work a lot with multiple instances of excel as well as multiple windows open in each instance. What would be helpful is a visible way of quickly recognizing which instance / window I'm looking at. In my mind it would be something as simple as allowing each instance / window to have it's own background colour. Apologies, for lack of the technical reference, I'm not sure if it's a theme, but as an example the top of my Excel application window is green (based I think on the theme). If we could customise that colour for each…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add an option to have Power Query prompt users for a new parameter value

Update Power Query Parameters with an option to prompt users for a new parameter value (or choose a value from the suggested values list) whenever a query is refreshed.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. A function to return the target address (URL) of a HYPERLINK cell

Currently we have to create a user-defined function to get the URL address from a cell containing a hyperlink.

e.g. rangeObj.Hyperlinks(1).Address

Perhaps adding to the existing CELL() function?
    =CELL("hyperlink","A1")

When copy/pasting data from websites to Excel the hyperlinks are retained but can't be extracted. (If Power Query Web tables could bring the hyperlinks in too, that would be helpful. Perhaps as expandable column with the displayed text.)

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add optional parameter to TRIM function to support LTRIM and RTRIM

The TRIM function removes leading, trailing, and internal spaces. It would be so helpful if it had an optional second parameter that allowed the following options:
    -1: remove leading spaces
    0: remove leading, trailing, and internal spaces (default)
    1: remove trailing spaces
    2: remove internal spaces

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Rename "measure" with a more appropriate term (Power Pivot)

The variable calculations in Power Pivot is a useful tool, but calling them "measures" is likely to confuse (or annoy) people working in fields like research or accounting where the term "measure" already exists and means something else. In the sciences, any variable at the interval level or above could be considered a measure.

In management and organizational studies, the more typical term for a derived performance variable is "metric". Maybe there is a more appropriate term from computer science?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bigger default font size in Power Pivot Measure window

Just 1 or 2 font sizes bigger would make a big difference. I know I can Ctrl and mouse wheel but I'd rather not do that every single time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Waterfall Chart improvement - Chart title cannot reference a cell

Chart title cannot reference cells. Title to be updated as in other charts. This is also applicable to the other newly added charts.

P.S This is based on original thread "Waterfall Chart Improvement Suggestions". As requested by Admin, I am splitting each topic into separate ones.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Amazon Redshift Connector

Creation of an Amazon Redshift Connector for Power Query that is similar to Power BI.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-redshift/

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make INDIRECT works with closed workbook

Make INDIRECT works with closed workbooks!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to easily add custom properties to cells and also headers and footers

At the moment Excel shares the same front-end for creating and editing custom properties through the advanced properties dialog. There is no easy and consistent way to insert this information into cells and headers and footers.

This precludes the sort of ability to set a parameter once and change multiple locations that is common practice to automate updates to Word files. I would have used this recently to send out a survey to multiple potential partners, chaning the name of their organisation and the survey reference appropriately through custom properties rather than manually editing each worksheet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. save XLW-files

As I remember from XL2003, I always had the possibility to save serveral files - spread across different folders - as one single workspace in an xlw-file.

This is a very useful ability, but I don't find it in XL2016.

I have to add an additional file to an existing workspace, but I cannot see any possibility to save the whole group of files as a new workspace.

Why?

Where did MS hide this feature in XL2016?

How can I save workspaces as xlw-files? I don't want to collect all the files needed for a certain project manually step by…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PDF share

When I an in excel and go file, share, email as a pdf I only want to share the current tab not the whole spreadsheet. The print dialog box should come up so I can choose what I want to share.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Conditional Format Cut and Paste

Change standard cut/copy and paste (ctrl + C; ctrl + X; ctrl + V) to not include conditional formatting and add right click option to include conditional formatting. When using standard cut & paste, CF is lost from original cells and pasted into new cells and the area of the CF rules gets messy fast or new rules are created. Similar issue with copy mode. You can paste values to get around, but what if you want other formats to be included in the paste. Removing CF for standard C/P would allow more control over CF rules. Two special paste…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. I am so tired of having my personal and my business Microsoft Accounts becoming intertwined.

I have a work account. I have Office 365. I installed Office on my personal home desktop so I can get quick access to my work email if I want. Same with my personal laptop.
    Come to work today and through no doing of my own, my account accociated with Office has now become my personal account. I have been figthing with this for more then a year now. I login at work and I see 2 One Drive accounts, my personal and business. Finally delete that. My personal profile picture became my work account photo at my home. Fix…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base