Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. improve the quick access toolbar (QAT)

What happened to the old drag & drop method of editing the custom toolbars, like in Office 2003 & earlier?

* You could just click customize toolbar then click & drag a button to where you want it.
    * You had the option to break your toolbar up into multiple rows.

Now we are forced to use this clunky editor with only 2 controls to move an item up and down a line - what if you want to move a button 20 items up to the top? All that clicking takes forever and after a while cramps up your…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add standard format to have negatives with brackets and turn red (or blue)

I say or blue due to awareness on colour blindness

plus replace 0 with dash

,##0_);Red;-??

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cross Filtering powerpivot

Power BI Desktop allows Multi Level Cross Filtering in its Relationships. Please Include in Power Pivot in Excel

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Default pivot table's to default to "Sum" rather than "Count"

I would like the default on pivot tables to go to "Sum" rather than "Count" or have an option for the user to select what the default is.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Unique Filtering Bug Excel 2013 (extremely slow)

This is still a problem even with the latest Excel updates.

I have 2 columns, with 175,000 lines.

• Column A contains a 5 digit number.

• Column B contains a value (between -50 and 100).

Steps to reproduce:

1) I have cleared all filters, formats, and there are no extra rows / columns on the sheet.

2) I select Column A and Column B.

3) I click "Advanced Filter".

4) I click "Criteria" text entry.

5) I select Column A.

6) I select "Unique Records Only".

Result:

I then see windows blinking open and closing in Excel, while it takes up…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Conditional Formatting in PivotTables

The way conditional formatting works right now is good and only for a simple PivotTable. But It would be better if improved more especially on a PivotTable.

What if the PivotTable has multiple column headers.
    For Example:
    Bottom Box %, Top Box %, Helped Resolve % is categorized into:
    Consult, Paid and subscription. BB %, TB %, HR % have a different target depending on the which category it falls. If you set a formatting for example to BB %, it will apply it all BB % under those categories, which have a different targets. So my idea is that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. pivot table show details

when you Double-click a field in the values area, the detail data that the value field is based on, is placed on a new worksheet.
    If the detail data come from a large database (with 30-40 columns) It would be useful to show details only concerning the fields (database columns) added to the pivot table

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Format text in cells

The ability to format the text in a cell from within the cell itself. As an example suppose that I want to have x raised to the 2 power, I can highlight the 2 and make it a superscript to have it in a nice format. However if the 2 were linked to a cell, then I combine the two cells I will get X2, if the cell is then changed to a 3 I get X3 and not x superscript 3. If there were a command that was something like Format(B3,"Superscript") this would be extremely useful. Also the ability…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back the option to have all tabs shown all the time. It's absolutely ridiculous that it takes more clicks than it used to.

Bring back the option to have all tabs shown all the time. It's absolutely ridiculous that it takes more clicks than it used to.
    And there's no good reason -- there's plenty of room where the "..." resides.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Saving workspace as xlw-file

As I remember from XL2003, I always had the possibility to save serveral files - spread across different folders - as one single workspace in an xlw-file.

This is a very useful ability, but I don't find it in XL2016.

I have to add an additional file to an existing workspace, but I cannot see any possibility to save the whole group of files as a new workspace.

Why?

Where did MS hide this feature in XL2016?

How can I save workspaces as xlw-files? I don't want to collect all the files needed for a certain project manually step by…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Right click option for spell and grammar

The option for right click spell and grammar option maybe helpful within excel spreadsheet current cell, column or rows.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Triple click the left mouse button in a cell or the formula bar to select all text

When a cell or the text within a cell is triple clicked with the left mouse button, it should select all the text within the cell. This applies the the formula bar too.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. READ ONLY MESSAGE BOX

WHEN YOU OPEN AN EXCEL FILE AND SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY HAS IT OPEN, THEN A BOX SHOULD POP UP TELLING THE USER THAT IT IS READ ONLY.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Saving a file in multipule locations using the 'save' function - i.e. ability to setup multipule save locations as required

When 'saving' a file, my suggestion is to allow an option where you can establish more than a single location, or format for that file to be saved, When clicking the 'save' function, then the file will be saved to all of your required locations and in the format wanted. This would be in addition to 'File History', and 'Cloud' saves, i.e. flash drive, external drive, or web location.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Harmonize Excel.CurrentWorkbook with Excel.Workbook

Please adjust the M-function "Excel.CurrentWorkbook" so that it returns the same items (in the same structure) than Excel.Workbook (in connection with File.Contents) does:

Returning a table view of all elements with helpful columns like "Kind".

But most importantly also returning content from sheets that isn't in a special format like Table or Defined Name but in a simple range.

There are multiple reasons for letting the source-data untouched but also performing transactions on them and I've come across this request very often. The workarounds are pretty painful (error-prone and need to save file before being able to access data).

Thanks…

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Exclusion filter in pivot tables

Filters in pivot tables can be applied as exclusion as well as inclusion therefore when new data is added to the underlying table it will appear in the pivot table without manually having to select the new data through the filter.

Example: I am working with a table that contains customer fuel purchases, our employees also use our fuel for work vehicles but as these are internal transactions I need to exclude our company’s name from the pivot table.

Each time a new customer purchases fuel I need to manually select their name in the pivot table filter to add…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add 'Last Saved' time and date to status bar

Adding the time last saved to the status bar would help users remember to save their work more frequently.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Vlookup returns 0 when looked up cell is blank

could you provide that if the cell to be returned in a vlookup or hlookup formula is blank, then the value of the formula also resolves as blank - or have this as a choice, e.g. Vlookup(c1,A1:b5,2,false,"") where "" = the value to be returned if the looked up cell is empty. The default could remain 0 if this is omitted from the formula.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. change order of graphs in diagram manually

In a diagram with multiple graphs, the graphs on the secondary axis are always in the foreground. It would be great, if you could manually chose, in which order the graphs show up in the diagram and legend

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Box and Whisker- Apply Format, Change Mean Markers, Y-Axis Break, Custom X-Axis and more

I would like to create thesis level box and whisker plots. The ability to customize the box and whisker plots appear to be severely limited.
    1) Paste format and save template box and whisker plots
    2) Change mean markers from 'x' to '--------'
    3) Y-Axis break to show extreme values while still having resolution in majority of data
    4) Changing what the X axis displays
    5) Being able to move legend wherever it does not interfere with chart (not just pre chosen options)

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base