Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the Filter selection box bigger (longer), it should show at least 10 - 15 items

Make the Filter selection box bigger (longer), it should show at least 10 - 15 items

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Setting FreezePanes using c# raises error when worksheet in the background

When I set FreezePanes with c# when the worksheet is in the background (This is one of the last actions I do in a process of a few minutes, in the meanwhile users tend to move away and do other stuff).

I begin with worksheet.Activate(), and it is the same code I used with versions 2010 and 1013 but in version 2016 it raises an error.

Why is it needed to do FreezePanes on an activated worksheet anyway? All other styling is not depending on this.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow users to control the order of items in the sunburst chart.

I'm using a sunburst chart to convey status, and visually it would be nice to have the chart in the same order as the items I want to talk about them, so the discussion flows clockwise around the wheel. Having an option for the layout to follow the order in the excel list would be wonderful

202 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting idea. We’ll consider it in our next round of planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. re-sizable "Select Data Source" GUI

When working with graphs/charts I'd like to be able to re-size the "Select Data Source" GUI. Fixed height means lots of scrolling.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. when saving Excel Files on a networkfolder it will be saved with a strange extension xlsx.sb-

The permisions for the user to access the server are not the problem, there are no other issues with creating files or opening / saving files.

The name of the temporary folder contains the name of the orginal file followed by a lot of numbers and letters.

The original file has the name: 'Test 2016',
    the temporary map: 'Test 2016.xlsx.sb-f535ac32-iM6gfn'. But the next time the last part of the letters and numbers are different. The bold part stays the same.

Every time you save the file it makes an other empty folder.

Seems to have appeared after last Office 2016…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Filter resize - stays the new length

When you resize a filter length, make a selection, then go back to the filter - the filter area shrinks to the original 'small' default. Please have it remember the last length - at least when working in the same spreadsheet

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create 64-bit compatible versions of MSComCtl and MSComCt2 controls

We have been advised to consider upgrading to the 64-bit version of Office throughout our company. As a world leading financial institution we have a lot of users that use Excel applications that require large amount of memory and processing power.

We have a dedicated VBA development team that make extensive use of the controls and we need 64-bit versions of the controls before the roll-out can go ahead as a large number of critical applications will no longer work in 64-bit Excel.

210 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. vbe

Can we have a dark theme for the Visual Basic Editor, making it easier to use at night? Thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make graphs also sensitive for conditional formatting

When the input cells of a graph are formatted with conditional formatting, the graph should also automatically change

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Quick changing of a value from sum / count / average / max /min

To change a pivot table value from sum to count / average / max / min etc you have to click the dropdown containing the value to be changed, click again for value field settings, and click again for "summarise value field by...". This is a very common change on a PT. How about a right-click option on the value field to be changed that would bring up a list of sum / count / average etc that could be clicked to alter both the "summarise values by" list, and the "show values as" list.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make new Excel windows open only on the active desktop to avoid unwanted desktop switching.

The problem occurs when a saved file is double-clicked, opening a new window. The window will open on the active desktop if no other Excel windows are open. If, however, there are other Excel windows already open, the new window will appear on the same desktop as the last viewed Excel window. This can cause Windows to switch desktops, and result in the new Excel window appearing on a different desktop than intended.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add a functionality to Pivot Tables

It would be great to put a TEXT field on the value and look all possible values CONCATENATED

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Find/list/format all volatile cells

Any way for excel to identify all volatile cells (and maybe as a separate list, all cells that depend on volatile cells) that would revolutionise our ability to improve a workbook's efficiency.

Excel must know this list of cells. Why not share it with the user! Surely this could be done really easily. even as a separate csv file report or something...

but preferably as a button (similar to 'Show formulae - ctrl+' ) that temporarily removed other formatting and coloured cells by whether they were volatile (black cell with white font), or dependent on a volatile cell (dark grey…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. vlookup (and hlookup) area not mandatory and accept negative column numbers (too look in left columns - or above rows)

vlookup (and hlookup) area with only one column (or row) and accept negative column numbers (too look in left columns - or above rows) - and maybe even maintain compatibility with previous versions:
    vlookup(z14;c1:c100;-2) would return the correspondent value on colum A

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Excel ‘Paste Special’ to operate on ‘Cut’ data as well as ‘Copied’ data

When entering one of a few columns of data into a spreadsheet, I missed one number, so entered the others one row too high. To avoid re-entering all of the latter numbers, I tried to ‘Cut’ and use ‘Paste Special’ to move all the values down one row. (A simple ‘Cut’ and ‘Paste’ would have moved the references as well, achieving nothing except misaligning the rows.) After several frustrating attempts, I realized that I could only use ‘Paste Special’ if I ‘Copied’ the cells rather than ‘Cut’ them. Unlike cutting, this left the topmost incorrect cell with its value unchanged,…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add "Favorites" Location to Make Opening Favorite Files Easier

When opening a file the options available are: Recent, Shared with Me, OneDrive, This PC, Add a Place, and Browse.

Would it be possible to add a Favorites folder such that if a file is selected as a Favorite it is easily found and can be easier to open.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow users to hide the QUICK ANALYSIS. It needs to be optional.

Allow users to hide the QUICK ANALYSIS garbage. This ******* interferes with my work every day. Every time I need to highlight fields, this horrible thing pops-up and I have to start all over again. It needs to be optional like that "office assistant" that everyone hated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The Colors of Excel Cell headers need to be more clearer or more Contrast

in an excel page to try where exactly the selected cell through headers and rows is difficult you have to move the cursor to identify the selected cell.... but if the headers and rows was highlighted with a different color (than the current) would be great

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base