Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow loading sequence in Power Query

When you have query2 that depends on query1, query1 needs to complete before query2 loads. Being able to control which query runs first will be useful. Now the workaround is a macro.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Recent Folders List when saving files

When I go into recent folders to save a file, excel 2013 does not put my most recent folder at the at the top of the list. I feel like it makes sense to put my most recent folder at the top of the list. In fact, I just saved files into a folder 8 times and that folder still hasn't shown up on my recent folders list at all. I cannot figure out how excel picks which folders to put on the recent folder list if it isn't something I just went in several times.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Apply Woksheet Protection to Multiple Sheets

When creating an Excel model I want to Protect everything apart from the specific user input cells but I have to manually protect each sheet 1 at a time.
    It would be much better if sheets could be grouped and protected in 1 go

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 478 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

114 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking your time to suggest and vote for this. We do think that this suggestion has merit, but we don’t think that we’ll be able to devote time to it in the near future. We’ll continue tracking votes for it so we know how it ranks among the other suggestions.

5. Add the Uppercase/Lowercase/ProperName for a cell in Excel as it works on MS Word

On Microsoft Word when you select a text, there is a button on the Home Menu to change the format of that text to Uppercase, Lowercase o Proper. If users could do that on a cell in Excel I think teh will love it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. rename version labels in activity list

similarly to how you enable the ability to rename the steps of a query, the same ability should be given to the version - where instead of "fred saved the file" I could add "added tomato juice prod increase 20%"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring back ability to change ODC file in Excel

I have an Analysis Services cube that my users connect to from Excel using an ODC file. We use multiple environments (cubes), such as demo, test, and production, each with a separate ODC file for convenience. I want to be able to change the ODC file of a given Excel report so that it references a different environment, but then Excel will "lose" the reference to the new ODC file, embedding the connection information instead.

Please see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/0f78f352-f7aa-4368-a9c9-cd35030955fd/changing-odc-file-in-excel for more information.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow internal link to be accessible in PDF document.

Allow internal link to be accessible in PDF document.
    Example: Cell C3 contains link to cell A5. The C3 content is displayed as a link but does not work as a link to cell A5.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow zoom on Excel Maps

When you insert a Map which as an example shows countries say in Africa, the whole world is shown, or if you select Map area, only the countries with values are shown. I would like to be able to show the whole world and then be able to zoom into a region, so that I can just see Africa. 3D Maps has this functionality but it very useful to have it for Maps as well.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add ability to collapse field areas in PivotTable Field and Area Side by Side view

With the ability/normal experience of creating many DAX measures in Power Pivot, the Values area of the PivotTable design is now too small to use effectively. Since the Values area only shows about 4 rows it's really difficult to organize fields correctly when try to drag fields around if you've got 10 or more fields in your Values area. (not at all uncommon for Power Pivot users, although certainly not restricted to them.)

With the introduction of slicers, however, we also tend to use the Report Filter area less, and don't usually add as many fields to the row/column areas.

475 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Ken,

Thanks for logging this one, and thanks to others for voting this up.. We’ve actually had this on our list to get to for some time and have been balancing doing this against other… The more the community helps us rank it higher, the better the signal on overall importance… so, for those that haven’t voted for this but want it, do vote!

thanks
    ash [MS XL]

12. make it not suck by getting autosave to work properly when the file is saved in onedrive. I've just lost anther spreadsheet to **** implemen

autosave doesn't work with the file in onedrive
    autorecovery...absolutely nothing there, you idiots...hours of work lost...
    oh and autoupdate
    stuck at 100%.
    surface pro 4...your own hardware. Jesus, sort it out you toss posts

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. recommended additional chart types - 'animated', 2D histograms, heatmaps, maps, 1D-gauges, etc

Hi there, some additional chart types in Excel would be great:
    - animation (option for each chart type) - slider controlling a variable (such as date) that updates the chart as the slider is moved.
    - XY-2D histogram - allow also to combine with XY-scatter graph.
    - Line-2D histogram - show distribution with color-gradient or variable width bar
    - bar/column-2D histogram - show distribution with bar/column width
    - Heatmaps - 1D, 2D, and 3D with smoothing between plotted points as option
    - Gauge charts

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need Help: Crash using Drop Down on a Chart sheet

Excel (office 365) crashes when using a Drop down form control placed over a Chart, if the chart is on its own sheet.

From several tests on several unrelated PCs we could see that it happens on this latest releases (either on win7 & win10 machines):
    - version 16.11 Build 7571.2109
    - version 16.12 build 7668.2066
    PCs with some other (older) office versions tested did not crash.

Shortest way to Test/reproduce the issue, follow this steps:
    Make sure you have Office 365 in one of the a.m. version

1.Create a new excel workbook from a blank (empty) one. Just to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Conditonal formatting in pivot table breaks after refreshing data

I want to color result rows in a pivot table according to the different years in which they were generated. The years are ordered by rows. Hence, I set up a formula to define a conditional formatting and link it to the range of cells of the whole worksheet. This works initially, but every time I refresh the data, this conditional formatting breaks, because Excel changes automatically the range of cells the conditional formatting refers to and obvisously the new range of cells, which Excel calls "Diese PivotTable" in the German version, doesn't contain any more the range of cells…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. provide option for unmerging cells to fill all newly unmerged cells with the contents (not just the top left cell)

need to be able to "autofill" the constituent cells within a merged cell with the same info when unmerging the cell.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Show Report Filter Pages to Produce Charts

Add the ability to produce separate charts for each item in a "Report Filter" field in a Pivot Table. We can currently produce a separate Pivot Table for each item; it would be nice to produce a separate chart for each item based on the "original chart".

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. VBA Forms not working in MS Office 365 ProPlus version 17.0

VBA Forms not working in MS Office 365 ProPlus version 17.0 which got released recently on May 9th, 2017. The Macros are getting crashed throwing the error 1004: Application-defined or object-oriented error. Until Version 16.0, Macros worked fine.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Inserting Multiple Worksheets

When I'm inserting worksheets I'd like the option to insert multiple worksheets. I'm setting up a spreadsheet for the month and need 28, 30 or 31 worksheets. It would be nice if I could hit Insert / Worksheet and tell Excel how many I need.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Tabbed spreadsheets

You have tabbed worksheets within the spreadsheet at the bottom, but you could have tabbed spreadsheets along the top. Makes navigation between different spreadsheets much easier than having them in separate XL windows. 3rd party apps like office tab do this very well but would be nice to see this feature natively in Office.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base