Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Setting non-changable page breaks

I have a 420 row excel worksheet. I have gone to Page Break Preview, set my Adjust to size at 75%. I have then selected Insert Page Break at the specific rows I desire. I then hit Save. When I go to Print Preview, Excel has automatically added page breaks I did not select. This ruins my document by adding an additional 14 pages. HELP!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Capitalize letters, uppercase letters, or lowercase letters like on Word

Capitalize words as on Word or even choose to have them all uppercase

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Inquire - Worksheet Relationship diagram - suggested improvements

The Worksheet Relationship diagram in the new Inquire tool is potentially very useful for checking that a spreadsheet flows well from inputs --> calculations --> output. For example an arrow from an output sheet to an input sheet might suggest a problem with the way a spreadsheet has been designed.

The diagram currently also shows arrows from the workbook name to each of the worksheets. This makes the diagram very cluttered when you have a lot of sheets and as far as I can tell doesn't really serve any purpose. Would it be possible to remove these arrows in a…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. More facilities for Tab sheets

I use a lot of sheets in my workbooks and I am at a loss in finding what I want quickly. I believe the following organizational facilities would be useful:
    1) Sort the sheets alphabetically
    2) Group many sheets under a SuperTab that could expand or collapse at user will. This would avoid clatter and "group" similar sheets. For example I could have a SuperTab Named 24 Charts, under which would be 3 SuperTabs: 8 ScatterCharts, 6 BarCharts, 10 LineCharts and under all of these the appropriate individual charts,
    3) Facilities in the lettering of the tabs, Bold, Italics, Underline …

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow a way to remove vast amounts of Columns/Rows to end of Sheet

Periodically, when I'm in Excel, suddenly the sheet has hundreds of columns and rows and the End cell is in Column XFD.... Excel won't always allow me to delete in mass. Develope a way for the user to highlight what they want (similiar to page set) and then a button to delete all other columns/rows. Another would be to "re-set" page so the end would be the last column/row with data

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel 2010/2016 can only display 10000 item in the AutoFilter/PivotTable list

In Excel 2010 and higher a Search feature was added to the Filter DropDown list which allows the user to use search to display records that are not in the first 10,000 unique items.
    10000 is not enough, the users need to list all the items in autofilter list.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a serach option File-> Options (Excel Options)

I would like to share the following idea to enhance excel user experience, Kindly add search settings in options (excel options)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Quit having a spreadsheet reopen in a different size than it was when it was closed

When I close a spreadsheet, it is the size I want it to be. But when I reopen it, Excel is as likely as not to have "decided" that it knows better than I do what I want, and it reopens in a different size. Sorry, but I do know better than Excel does what I want, and resent the arrogance displayed in changing my preferences. Make it stop!!!

124 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you say that it opens a different size – can you give more info? Do you mean the application window is a different size (it shouldn’t be) or that the font sizes (zoom) are different? (again, they shouldn’t be)

Additionally, if you can post a video of what you’re seeing, that would be a big help for us.

If there is a problem here, it’s definitely something we’d want to fix.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

10. "Rename file" button

If there were a Rename File button, we wouldn't have to spend so much time closing the file, renaming it in File Explorer and opening it again.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 3. Excel - Using Filters – Filters start with “Select All” but “Select blanks” is at the end. When running through data you are quite often

Excel - Using Filters – Filters start with “Select All” but “Select blanks” is at the end. When running through data you are quite often looking for blanks to add data and need to go to end of long filter list to select – put select blanks next to Select all at the front of the list. - also please pin at top to always in view

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Get & Transform 100% Feature Parity with Power BI Desktop

Maintain a policy of 100% feature parity for Get & Transform feature between Excel and Power BI, so that Excel professionals can be confident their knowledge and skills apply equally to both products with respect to the Get & Transform features.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel 2013: Copy paste non-consecutive values outside excel

I am facing issue with copy paste from excel 2013 to notepad. I have values in A1, B1, C1 and D1 as 1,2,3 and 4 respectively. I am selecting value 1,2 and 4.. skipping 3. After selection and press Ctrl + C for copy and when I am trying to paste in Notepad it is pasting 1,2,3 and 4. Its included value 3 as well in paste operation where it should not be. Same behaviour with selection of non-consecutive rows. Only selected copied values should get pasted.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SVG

Export to SVG:

One of the features we heavily use today is exporting Excel files to SVG. Unfortunately, the process to achieve this is quite a few steps: 1 export to pdf, 2.use inkscape to convert pdf to svg, 3. clear any formatting issues and save to SVG. It would be really awesome to be able to export directly from Excel to SVG. Since excel supports export to PDF, and PDF is vector based, I would hope an export to SVG would be pretty easy to add. Happy to provide examples of what we are doing.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Recent" documents

Opening documents in Excel Online doesn't add it to my "Recents" list in the start menu. This is where I open many of my documents rather than going through the drive directory to find my documents, it's quicker and simpler and so I am now finding that most of the time I open a document it opens in Excel Online, then I have to open it in the full excel format so that it adds it to my "Recents" list. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I'd like to have a "no print" option for cells, rows and columns.

I would like to be able control which cells, rows and columns would not print, without having to Hide them. Sometimes I want to see the data/formulas in the cells, but not have them on my final hard copies.
    Hiding and unhiding adds steps to my workflow.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow Read only mode again as an option when opening files from Onedrive/Sharepoint

Since the recent update to allow real time collaboration, when opening a file from SharePoint or Onedrive the file now opens in edit mode automatically. This would be great if there wasn't a "feature" that anyone filtering a sheet automatically applies to others in the same sheet. Often not everyone wants to edit a file, they just want to view it - I now see no option for this. In my organisation this is a very annoying issue as we often have a need for multiple people to be reading the same sheet (but not editing) who would wish to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. PRINTING - Have excel check how many pages are being printed and not print numerous mostly blank pages or pages where font is unusably small

Have excel check how many pages are being printed and not print numerous mostly blank pages or pages where font is unusably small, by default if these are detected open a print dialog which tells you how many pages will be printed and ability to select pages 1,3,5,6 etc, fit to one page, fit to minimum font size, adjust margins etc.
    Too often I end up printing an excel document multiple times and wasting lots of paper and ink because the print options in excel are kind of stupid.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Formula ifblank like iferror on Power Pivot

New formula ifblank like iferror on Power Pivot

It would be very useful to have a formula ifblank(value;valueifblank) working like iferror, so you don't have to repeat two times the "value" part

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Time Format

Cell is formatted as hh:ss, when a value is added Excel changes the format to Date Time. Extremely frustrating trying to add times from various projects together.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base