Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please allow us to change the style of icons in the toolbars; they're visually hard to discern

I have a hard time discerning the icons in the toolbar-and they are ugly.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dates prior to 1900

Microsoft Excel date formulas can only use dates entered between 1/1/1900 and 12/31/9999. The upper bound seems to be very far and the lower bound is certainly very near.
    Allow Excel date formulas to work with dates prior to 1900, at least till around the year 1600.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the Default Alignment of Shapes Middle-Center

When a shape is drawn in other Office apps, the text is centered both horizontally and vertically. But in Excel it's aligned to the Top-Left. Please make it Middle-Center instead.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When filtering a chart, provide a Clear Filter button

I like that you can now filter a conventional chart (as opposed to a PivotChart), but a Clear Filter button at the top-left of the filter menu would be handy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the great feedback. This would definitely be a good improvement. We’ll consider it for a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. Metric/SI prefix support for number formatting

There is (somewhat hidden) support for engineering notation as a number format (ie: the pre-defined custom number format "##0.0E+0"), but it would be extremely useful to take this a step further and allow for number formatting with SI prefixes. For example, the value 12E3 would display as "12k", 34E6 would display as "34M", 56e-3 as "56m", 78e-6 as "78μ", and so on.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Comments - stop resizing and moving comments

When hiding and un-hiding rows, or moving rows, or having freeze panes on, the comments on cells for no reason stretch or move far down one's sheet. It would be really nice if the size of the comment stays as is and it doesn't move all over.

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring back the GET.CELL() formula from Excel4

It's not like we don't use it already, but the fact that we need to have it in a NamedRange just makes it convoluted! This unlocks major functionality without having to resort to VBA which makes Workbooks lighter and easier to maintain!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Optimize visual space for the Formula Bar

If the Formula Bar is expanded to >1 line, then the "✗ ✓ fx" box should be moved below the Name Box. This gives more horizontal space for the Formula Bar.

We should also have an option to remove these 2 boxes. Their functionality can be gotten from the Formulas tab. For me, sacrificing this rarely-needed accessibility to these features is worth it to get a bigger Formula Bar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an area we are actively looking at for our future planning. Pease continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. After 'Filter' cursor always reinstate to first Row and Column

If I have an excel of huge number of columns and while navigating through ;Nth' column (example : Column AB); if I feel the need to apply filter for the Title Rows and Press on "Filter", it always takes me to first row and column. It would be better if I stay on the same place where I pressed "Filter" which other wise I have to navigate again from first column till the Nth column (in this case : Column AB).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Data validation - allow Table references as List Source.

If I'm using Data Validation in List mode, and I use a Table reference (e.g. "=Table1[Column1]") as the source, for some reason it doesn't work!

The workaround is to create a separate named range for that Table reference (e.g. make a named range called "Table1Column1" that Refers to "=Table1[Column1]", but it's a real pain to have to do this every time, and it is something that I use a lot!

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make it posible to attach a template to the Empty Workbook-option on the Start Screen and File, New

In previous versions of Excel you could create a Book.xlt and make that the default template for new workbooks by saving it in the XLSTART folder. That does not work with the Start Screen/Back Stage in Excel 2013 and 2016 which makes it imposibole to provide customers with a custom template for new workbooks with customized colors, fonts etc. Please make it posible to attach the Empty Workbook option to a customized template. (It still works in Word 2013)

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Trace dependents to graphs and names

When I clean up others' workbooks, I use Trace Dependents to make sure that I can safely delete a value without messing up any part of the file. However, Trace Dependents does not go to graphs or names, so I have to manually check those.

I feel that Trace Dependents should trace anything that depends on the cell being traced, not just cells.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea. We’ll consider this in the next round of feature planning. In the meantime, please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. Allow worksheet function delegate parameters and local variables

This is kind of a compound suggestion.

Motivation:
    Often with Excel formulas I've had to repeat a long expression several times, which I'm guessing is also recomputed each time. The alternative is to add intermediate calculation steps to other cells or columns and reference them in the main formula. This can be confusing since the main formula cannot be read by looking only at one cell, and cluttering since intermediate calculations that are not directly relevant are spread all over the sheet.

Suggestion1:
    LISP's LET expression allows you to effectively declare a local variable while maintaining smooth functional syntax. For…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide a toggle Switch in Find and Replace Dialog box...

When we press Ctrl+H 2nd or 3rd time on same excel, it shows pre-filled texts which we've already used. sometimes, we just need to find and replace vice versa from previous action. so, providing a toggle button would be helpful to move find text to replace text and replace text to find text ....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. PowerPivot Drill-down details format

When double-clicking on PowerPivot, export the data in the format on the data model. It is a big pain to have numbers and dates exported as text.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Extend VLOOKUP() and HLOOKUP()

Extend the lookup functions so they can lookup left/up as well as right/down. That will save us having to build and maintain unintuitive formulae combining INDEX() and MATCH().

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to post a suggestion Malcolm! We’ll be taking a look at lookup functions. There’s a number of votes on the site for them – I’m not going to merge all of them though because different posts are asking for slightly different things. Please keep voting for the ones you want to see most!

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

18. Fill colors - add a favorites section please.

So I use Excel a lot at work and color-code results quite often. The choices i have .. i dont really use. I like the yellow that is not as bright and a green which is not super-green. So i want these colors to show in the pallete selection choices. Do they? Nope. That is a shame and needs to be improved. Sometimes the recent colors will hold them, but not for long. What we need and this is important.. we need a favorites row of colors for ones we actually use the most! The Standard and Recent dont get…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add real multiline editing with auto-indentation to the formula editor

Formulas today are increasingly complex especially since the character limit has been increased. It's common to see many nested functions that are difficult to read unless pasted into Notepad and separated by line breaks with logical indentation. Why not have the formula editor incorporate multiline display with automatic indentation like other code editors?

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Improve formula auditing, through incorporating Arixcel Explorer into Excel.

Formula auditing / understanding someone else's model is slow using the standard functions in Excel. Arixcel Explorer (http://www.arixcel.com/explorer) does a fantastic job of this. Please just buy them and incorporate into Excel as a standard add-in.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base