Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the "Edit Links" menu show you where the link is in the sheet.

I create a lot of sheets which are similar but have different functions. Because they are quite complex, when I create a new one, rather than reinventing the wheel I usually open the last one I made and use it as a template for the new one, editing the bits that need changing. Unfortunately, the complexity means I sometimes miss a change and inadvertently end up with the sheet containing a link to another worksheet. This causes a whole raft of problems. The complexity means that it can be hard to locate the link.

It would be really helpful if…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add an IFCOND() function

similar to IFERROR, add a function that only evaluates second argument if first argument not met, like

=IFCOND([Formula],">5",5)

instead of

=IF([Formula]>5,5,[Formula])

This would make a lot of formulas much shorter and also improve execution time, as it would only have to evaluate [Function] once instead of twice if the condition is not met.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop prompting "Complex formatting that is applied... ..may take a while to display."

I have a chart with just over 4,000 data points. EVERY TIME I draw a chart, I have to click past theis dialog in order to reduce the line style from crayon size to something that looks professional.
    I have a 12-core Xeon box running at 3.5 GHz. Guess what, it doesn't take a while to display.
    Please add a "Never ask me this again" checkbox.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel to csv copy paste Bug

When one pastes the data from the various sheets of excel and then saves them as the csv the numeric data in the general format renders to the rounded value. This is an extremely irritating bug.
    Example: if a cell contains 1.31E+11 and its original value is 130945865776, if one copy pastes this value as is into other workbook and saves it as csv the resulting value will be "130946000000". When we merge different files & work with data this is big bug.
    PS: To solve this before saving the file to the csv change the format of column from…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable query to Azure blob storage using SAS URI

I'm trying to query Azure Blob Storage using Excel to pull some analytics on the data stored there, however, it needs the account key to do so. I'd prefer to use a read-only shared access signature (SAS) URI to do this, but it doesn't have that option. As I need to share this Excel file, I cannot use the account key.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add vertical waterfall chart in Excel 2016

Add vertical waterfall chart in Excel 2016 (labels in Y axis) in addition to the existing horizontal type (labels in X axis)

Add optional lines between bar gap

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea. Could you provide an example of the layout that is of interest? Is it simply a 90 deg. rotation of what we have in XL 2016?

7/26/16
    Thank you for the further details in your comments. We are using this forum to gauge the relative importance of feature requests. The number of potential feature improvements is very broad so we need to focus our resources on the most important ones.

Please continue to vote on this feature idea which will increase its likelihood of getting implemented.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. CAGR formula

A built-in formula for easily calculating CAGRs (compound annual growth rates).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Better indication of filtering in the Name Manager

You cannot tell if filtering is applied in the Name Manager until you click on the Filter button. Please add a filter icon to the Filter button and the columns being filtered when a filter is applied.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "Rankifs" formula

Adding a "rankifs" formula, just like you have "countifs" or "sumifs"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow custom icon sets for conditional formatting

At the moment, the build-in icon sets can't be modified. One common problem is the need for a green down arrow / red up arrow.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Default the "Find" "Look in" setting to "Values" NOT "Formulas"

Default the "Find" "Look in" setting to "Values" NOT "Formulas".

This has been annoying me for about 10 years now. How often does anyone want to search for something in the text of a formula rather than the result of that formula? I think I wanted to do this once but have failed to find values numerous times and had to amend this setting manually thousands of times.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I would like a new Format cell choice - Number without any decimal places

I pull in data to Excel and i need to format several columns as numbers. Every single time i format as Number, it then bumps the decimal places out 2 places and every single time i have to change that to zero. It is a pain. Dont want the decimal places. Can you make a new format, NUMBER and no decimal places? NO use for these decimal places and it creates extra work for me every single time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please allow for expansion of all text boxes (e.g. when tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d))

When tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d), Excel does not allow you to expand the text box so that you can see the whole reference to the cell, making life difficult when tracing dependents.

And I am sure there are lots of other cases when the same applies, so please can you make this simple update to Excel to expand any text box.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Calendar

A great feature could be, User being be able to convert an existing table with date field into calendar view like in sharepoint

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. barcode

Add a barcode insert for Excel. Rather than relying on 3rd party applications.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I need to be able to create PDF's from this data and the colors need to be in CMYK format because most newspapers require CMYK for publishin

I need to be able to create PDF's from this data and the colors need to be in CMYK format because most newspapers require CMYK for publishing.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Use Office standard of Shift+Alt Up/Down arrow to move rows

Please implement Shift+Alt+Arrow hotkeys to move rows up or down one line at a time. This is standard in Word, PowerPoint and OneNote, and would be preferable to the multi-click steps to select a row, rt-click drag it to a new position and select Shift Down and Move. Bonus points for implementing this for columns!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Integrate error handling/value on error for functions such as VLOOKUP

While functions like IFERROR and ISERROR exist, it complicates things to have to wrap each function in an error checker.

E.g.
    =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,A1:B6,2,FALSE),"not found")
    could become:
    =VLOOKUP(C2,A1:B6,2,FALSE,"not found")

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Calculation mode should not be tied to the spreadsheet

The way the calculation mode in Excel is set up defies any form of common sense.

People use manual vs automatic calculations as a way to work, not a spreadsheet specific thing. I always want my calculations to be manual, though when I open a new session, the mode in which Excel starts is a complete lottery and I have to change the setting all the time.

The calculation mode setting should be user specific, not workbook specific.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow cells to be conditionally formatted to be locked

I would like to be able to put conditional formatting on cells that allows them to be locked in certain cases, and leave them unlocked in other cases. For example, if someone selects "Yes" for an answer, leave cell B1 unlocked so they can fill it out. If they answer "No", no further info is needed so lock cell B1 (which will allow them to tab directly to the next unprotected cell in a protected worksheet). This would help eliminate confusion on what needs to be filled out and also help speed up the process of filling it out.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base