Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. auto increase/decrease decimal

HI we need excel to be able to handle auto decimal places to the next zero. For example if we have formatted data to the whole penny but sometimes want to include half a penny, then we have to manually change it for all cells. Shouldnt this be automated by now?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Custom chart Styles / chart Template button

In older versions of Excel (pre 2010), a button was conveniently located on the ribbon bar which would allow the end user to quickly create a chart template / style from a existing formatted chart that could be used to quickly apply formatting to new charts. In recent versions of excel, this button was relocated and can only be found by right-clicking on the chart its self which is not intuitive nor easy to locate. An improvement would be to provide the means to create customized chart style / format sets which could be created & selected like any other…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. ease to reach sheet..

Hello USers,

Worksheet containing 20 to 30 sheets or more whereas 2 or 3 sheets are summary..so user can right click on particular sheet and send to desktop..this will help user to directly open the required sheet under worksheet in any emergency(to reach quicker) or to know he current progress by viewing sheet title..

Regards,

Girish Surve

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I have sight problems. How can you make the navigation bars and error messages show up in larger or bolder type.

The box to the right of this space titled excel for Windows(Desktop Applications) is close to unreadable in that light blue upper and lowercase type. All of the sysem boxes need a way to be made more readable of the sight impaired. All of the navigation boxes at the top of a spreadsheet need a way to control their sized to. My eyes are getting worse and I want to still work with excell but its almost betting to the point that I cannot work. In this box the type is bold enought to work with but the box below…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Introduction of an Array object to rework the way in which multi-cell array formulas are used.

Tables and pivot tables have revolutionised the way in which data analysis is performed. Change of similar magnitude is needed for building computation-heavy models (financial, engineering etc.)

The array object should be nameable (default Array1 etc.), it should be visible on the worksheet, it should be possible to link it to index rows just as a form control may be linked to a cell.

Any formula inserted into an array object should be treated as an array formula and will automatically be extended to the boundaries of the array object. Any array reference within the formula will automatically take data…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Wrong cell selected after scrolling in spreadsheets attached to OneNote

When you open a spreadsheet attached to OneNote, if you scroll down using a touchpad or touchscreen gesture rather than the on-screen sliders, then click on a cell, the wrong cell is selected. For example, if I scroll two rows downwards (using a touchpad gesture), then click on a cell, a cell two rows above the cell I clicked on is selected instead.
    Please fix this bug. It has been present since Excel 2013, and is still there in Excel 2016.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Filter columns by more than one color

I would like to filter columns by color, one color is ok and works fine, but choose two or more colours in the same filter

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow the user to change the size, shape and/or color of the comment indicator.

Allow the user to change the size, shape and/or color of the comment indicator.

The red triangle can sometimes be over looked on a spreadsheet that contains a lot of data. I feel it would be beneficial to allow the user to make the triangle bigger, change it's color, or even change the shape (i.e. make the indicator a rectangle on the right-hand side of the cell).

This would help those comments to really stand out and you could color code which comments apply to which department.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Short-circuit evaluation for AND and OR

If any argument of AND is FALSE, then AND is FALSE; no need for further evaluation.
    If any argument of OR is TRUE, then OR is TRUE; no need for further evaluation.
    However, the arguments of AND and OR always evaluate fully, which wastes calculation time and computer power.

The current workaround, which sacrifices clarity, is to write AND(a,b,c) as IF(a,IF(b,c)) and OR(a,b,c) as IF(a,TRUE,IF(b,TRUE,c)), since IF skips the evaluation of the branch not taken.

The only time that the change to short-circuit evaluation would not be desirable is in a case such as AND(something,UDF()), where UDF() is a UDF…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. UNION and INTERSECT functions

Let A and B be ranges.

Current notation:
    Union: (A,B)
    Intersection: A B

For purposes of clarity, these operators should be given corresponding functions:
    Union: UNION(A,B)
    Intersection: INTERSECT(A,B)

Even VBA has Union and Intersect functions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix Excel Display

Excel is displaying random opaque black or grey boxes that prevent cell contents from being seen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a setting/option where all CSV/delimited files are opened as "Text"

Add a setting called
    "Open text-delimited files (CSV, etc) as text only, with no type inference."

When this setting is active, then every column's format will be "Text" when a CSV or other such file is opened, so that the initial view is exactly the text represented in the CSV.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    info needed  ·  Yigal Edery responded

Thanks for the feedback!

Can you comment on whether you expect this to basically import all the lines as text to column A, or if you have some other expectation?

Also, I’m assuming people refer here to the file/open path, and not to the Data/From-Text or New-Query/From-Text path.

13. Add option to place the "grand total" to the left of a pivot table

When a pivot table has a lot of columns and you want to have a grand total row, you always need to scroll (possibly a lot) in order to see the grand totals.

There are also some situations where you want to perform calculations against the grand total rows, but when some rows get added, the calculations keep breaking. If the grand total row was on the left, the calculations would not break.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Suggestions for hiding/unhiding rows/columns

We the professionals usually while Analyzing the data hide many a columns/rows and also wants quickly unhide those columns/rows when the work is done.

Current excel features does not have an option to unhide ALL columns/rows at a single go and we have to unhide each row/column individually which consumes cum wastes a lot time.

You must provide a feature that unhide all hidden rows/columns in a single command.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. AutoFit opposite dimension when resizing text containers

Text containers (e.g. text boxes, comments) rarely need to be larger than the text that they contain. The more common issue is getting the container to fit snugly around the text. Excel should behave like this: if the container is resized vertically, the container should be automatically AutoFitted horizontally and vice versa. Also, when resizing vertically, snap to increments of 1 line.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. What about including functions MEDIANIF, MEDIANIFS that filter data as do SUMIF and SUMIFS

(2016-07-08 Dan [MS]: updated idea to remove AVERAGEIF, AVERAGEIFS as those are already in the product)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable Find and Replace in Name Manager

Add a find and replace for part of a named Range. Eg I have a large AFL (football) Template where I have Dozens of Range names with the "AFL" prefix. as I am in the process of adapting this template it would be great if I could say replace all instance of AFL with NRL...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add versatility to Report Filters for pivot table date fields

Currently, the Autofilter function for spreadsheet tables, when used on a date field, allows for selection by year, month, day, or even prescribed ranges; but Report Filter for pivot tables only allows selection by day. Please add the same date filtering capabilities for pivot table Report Filters as are available with Autofilter.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Adding a native interpolation function in Excel

Interpolation (even a simple linear interpolation) would be a great native function for Excel to have. Something like INTERPOLATE(KnownXRange,KnownYRange, NewX) would be fantastic for anyone who ever has to do this

The current workaround looks something like this:

=FORECAST(NewX,OFFSET(KnownY,MATCH(NewX,KnownX,1)-1,0,2), OFFSET(KnownX,MATCH(NewX,KnownX,1)-1,0,2))

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for showing how you’re using the FORECAST as a workaround. We’ll consider this request along with all the other ideas here and prioritize it according to the votes – so please keep voting if you want to see the priority raised!

Best,
    John [MS XL]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base