Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change Excel Table Name in the Create Table Window

Every time I Insert an Excel Table I then have to go change the Table Name (Alt+J,T,A). It would be great if the Table Name could be changed on the Create Table window when you are selecting the range of the Table.

It would also be nice to have some default settings for the table names. For example, I prefix all my table names with "tbl". This makes it a lot easier to get a list of the tables in the workbook when writing formulas. I would like to store this preference somewhere and then have the table name be…

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Chart series formatting - UI overhaul

Formatting chart series is currently very cumbersome, particularly on a chart with many series.

SUGGESTION: make a series formatting window open up for a given chart.
    -The window displays all series simultaneously (each series is one row). Each column is an attribute (e.g. line type, line width, marker type, marker line color, etc. etc.). All attributes are also shown simultaneously.
    -It should be possible to easily copy attributes (only some, or all) from one series to another, or to multiple others simultaneously.
    -It should be possible to define and save attribute sets for a series that can then be selected…

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking at several ways to make formatting easier. This is an interesting approach that we will consider.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. Ability to comment within formulas

Allow us to add commentary to formulas. While it is best practice to break up large formulas over multiple cells, sometimes it has been necessary that I must create large (or just simply complex) formulas. The ability to add commentary would help tremendously for my users or future administrators who are tasked with updating or understanding my financial models.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow new chart types (treemap, sunburst, etc) to also be used as pivot charts.

The new chart types are really interesting, however; they would be much more useful if they could also be tied to a pivot table. This would make them much more dynamic in nature.

Along the same line, it would be very beneficial to allow the interactivity on the charts to cross filter objects tied to the same data source. For example, if I click on a department in my treemap chart it would then filter the pivot table below to only the department I clicked on.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. add viewport meta statement

I save Excel (and Word) documents as html documents then upload them to our server for web access. When I save and Excel document (using 2016 and prior versions) the beginning of the saved code looks like this:

<meta name=3D"Excel Workbook Frameset">
    <meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-125=2">
    <meta name=3DProgId content=3DExcel.Sheet>
    <meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Excel 15">

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

As you see there are four meta statements generated.  The saved documents works as a web page, but to get a mobile friendly web page I have to manually add the statement in yellow above.   I&#39;m looking to see if the additional
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Generic OpenID Connect Support for Web and OData sources

For Web and OData service data sources - provide a custom authentication dialogue option in PowerQuery. I really just need to be able to invoke a browser client, the user login can then login, negotiate auth (OIDC, OAuth, SAML, WS-Fed, etc...) and then I would parse the response for a relevant token to pass to the API endpoint.

The OData feeds are incredibly limited in terms of security today. Generally, as an implementation of REST, there are going to be few OData services with meaningful information behind Basic Auth or allow Anonymous access. API keys (shared secrets) are impossible to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove the 255 character limit from Conditional Formatting, Match() and CountIf() functions

Very often I am required to find duplicates in whole rows of data. To do this I concatenate all the columns of a table together and and search for duplicates over the concatenated data. From here I can either extract the duplicates, remove them, or just "disable/close" them.

See this image:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/eFx49uc/new

Red arrow - These are the formulas that create the numbers in cells A1 to A4

Cells A1 to A4 have conditional formatting "highlight duplicates" enabled. As you can see, strings longer than 256 characters are treated as unique values even though they are clearly not.

Also note…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Edit offline

Office 365 Subscribers should be able to edit their workbooks and documents offline. Supply a key to access files to edit. Not read only.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add amount to the CONVERT function

Amount is an important quantity in chemistry and is commonly measured in moles (mol) and its SI-prefixed variants. After all, mol is an SI unit.

Below is an example application where converting amount would be useful:
    Given the molar mass (g/mol) of a solute and the target volume (mL) and target concentration (μM = μmol/L) of the final stock solution, find the mass (mg) of solute to weigh out to create the solution.

In addition to moles and its SI-prefixed variants, amount can also be measured as pairs, dozens, the number of individual items, etc.

For example, CONVERT(1,"mol","item") should return…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Power Pivot: In the measures editor display tables in the order they are arranged in the data model view

Power Pivot - In the measures editor display the tables in the drop down in the same order that they are arranged in the data model view. This then allows us to have our measure tables at the start and more importantly at the top of the measure editor

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Google Drive Service

It would be greater if I MS Office add Google Drive for user to open documents form that service as well.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow to make a pivot table of a table where some columns have no names

When I try to insert a pivot using a big data table as a source it leads to an error sometimes because some columns may come without names. And I start searching for that columns and that wastes my time. That would be great if nameless columns had the same name in pivot as it's native address (like A, B, C... AA, AB, AC... and so on)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. have a setting for number of significant figures rather than just for number of numbers to the right of the decimal

Currently, format can be set for the number of digits to the right of the decimal. Chemical data can vary over several orders of magnitude for a single parameter, but only 2 or 3 digits are valid as significant figures. Therefore, it would be handy to be able to format cells to show a specific number of significant figures. For example, 0.094686 has 6 digits to the right of the decimal, but if the analysis only has two significant figures, the posted value should be 0.095.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow >31 characters in a sheet name

31 characters is really quite short. There have been a few times that I've either used abbreviations or left out important identifying words of the sheet entirely.

Expanding the character limit would complement this suggestion nicely:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10203054-support-multi-row-worksheet-tabs-or-vertical-tabs

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  15 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add an EVALUATE() function to interpret a string as a formula. E.g. EVALUATE("2+2") would return 4.

This function already exists in VBA and allows for building formulas using text operations.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. add to grouped items by dragging items into existing groups

editing a group isn't possible, the user has to ungroup and redo a group if the original one had too many or too few items. How about providing functionality to drag an item into a group, or drag one out of a group, without having to ungroup and redo the whole group.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. probability plots

Implement probability plots similar to those in minitab. In a probability plot, a series of measurements appears as a curve with the quantity being measured on the x axis, and percentiles on the y axis. The curve becomes a straight line if the data is normally distributed. Some probability plots can also be constructed for other distributions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. We’ll consider this in a future planning phase. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Have a lock for formulas.

Have a lock for formulas so that you can not accidently delete when you want to delete data

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable all chart types for Microsoft Analysis Services

A great way to keep Microsoft SQL embedded in enterprise accounts is by taking advantage of all of the Excel users out there by giving them real-time access to the data through SSAS. SSAS is a massive differentiator that helps keep out competing solutions like Tableau. PowerBI is obviously the Tableau killer and it's excellent. Of course, Excel is extremely powerful and a vast swath of decision makers don't necessarily want to learn new tools/technology. One of the current limitations with Excel when connecting to Analysis Services is that not all of the chart types are available when working through…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good feedback. We’ll consider this in our next planning phase.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base