Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A Back-Step Button on the Formula Editor

I use the formula editor a lot to troubleshoot long formulas. It would be nice to back-step at least 3 steps from the current step.

Say, I've got a formula that errors out on the 15th step. I have to start all over again to carefully step through again to see what happened. It would be helpful to go back a few steps, then forward again.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Changes to Read-Only Mode

In Read-Only mode for Excel 2013 you can still enter data into cells, at least when opening from a Sharepoint site. However, they information just doesn't save. Since sharepoint opens Excel in Read-Only as default and there is no prompt, my employees tend to not notice and enter their data and don't realize it is in Read-Only and therefore lose all their changes as soon as they exit the application. Read-Only mode either needs a prompt that shows up in the middle of the screen asking if the User wants to open in edit mode OR Read-Only mode needs to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Rows to repeat at the Bottom

In the Page Setup for printing, allow for a series of rows that can be printed at the bottom of each printed page. Similar to the "Rows to repeat at the top" under "Print Titles".

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. CloseAs

Instead of having to do both a SaveAs and a Close, have a CloseAs
    Easy-peasy for you to implement.
    Regards
    Brian

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. To create a new function to Convert figures into letters

A new function in order to convert a figure for ex. 2 into two, and more difficult as 1.350, 1.698.367 etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I received email back from Sam saying he’s expecting this to be the Table Analysis functionality (like key influencers, highlight exceptions), and not the explicit Data Mining features (like clustering). Am going to update the title, and we’ll wait for more votes before considering this item.
    Thanks, Sam!
    Ash

8. Shortcut for un-hiding columns NOT WORKING IN OFFICE 2010

Ctrl 9 Used for hiding rows
    Shift Ctrl 9 Used for un-hiding rows
    Ctrl 0 Used for hiding columns
    Shift Ctrl 0 Used for un-hiding columns (THIS IS NOT WORKING IN OFFICE 2010)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Options in linking workbooks

When I select a cell in another workbook to link into my active workbook, it always comes across as an absolute reference. This is an absolute pain, because most of the time I want to extend that link to copy a number of adjacent cells and every time I have to go in and edit out the $ signs before continuing.

So how about an Excel Option to link references either as absolute or relative ?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Show "Data" > "From-Text"-Wizard by default when double-clicking *.csv files...

When double-clicking CSV-files Excel automatically tries to guess the column formats and assumes the default field seperator.
    But this often wrong column-types are guessed and it fails for *.csv-files with unusual field seperators.

It would be better if double-clicking a .csv file would open an import-wizard (like the existing one from "Data" > "From Text").
    - The types for the columns should default to a text-type.
    - It should not try to guess column-types automatically, but one might let excel guess manually via a button "Guess column types" in the wizard
    - The most probable
    field seperator should be pre-selected …

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Integrate Fuzzy Duplicates in Delete Duplicates

There is a great add-in called Fuzzy Lookup from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=15011

Integrate this in Remove Duplicates

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Check and X

Conditional formatting is not good enough. I would like a big X and a big check mark right in the main menu. This would be so usable to so many.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add rich-text support for Excel

Excel's handling of in-cell text formatting leaves a lot to be desired.

For example, if I have something like 30m^2 (30 square meters, where the 2 is superscripted), and I do a search and replace (e.g., changing m to cm), then the 2 ends up not superscripted any more.
    Or if that cell value is concatenated (using a formula like =A1&A2) with another cell value, then the formula does not show the 2 as a superscript.
    And it is not even with "odd" formatting like superscripting. Even if I have some letters (but not all) in a cell marked bold,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New maths & stats functions

Like MAXIF, MINIF and SUMPRODUCT that works on Row x Column (currently need to rely on MMULT even for 1 dimensional arrays or use TRANSPOSE)

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Circular errors

Let's have a better way of tracking circular errors possibly through a diagrammatic representation of cell linkages.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Getting cell information without resorting to VBA

Some organisations would prefer if we did not use VBA when designing their spreadsheets. It would help therefore if more could be done without it.
    As a start can the range of information returned by CELL() be expanded to included, for example, the interior colour of the cell and the formula in the cell (as text).
    As a bigger project, what about ensuring that all in-built Excel VBA formula can be accessed through the worksheet formula without resorting to VBA.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable Scroll Wheel when select an active Cell eg. an Equation

Now, it is not possible to use the scroll wheel when entering an equation. I would like to enable this. By the way, when entering an equation it is not possible to ungroup grouped cell. This is a problem when I intend to refer to an grouped cell. I can not open the grouped cell unless I stop entering the equation.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Improve productivity of the UI

The Home Tab needs a re-design - Please focus on Productivity

Here it how it should look

http://1drv.ms/1S0qSgF

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Power Query needs to pulls over Dax formulas from Excel Data source

Could not create measure 'Demand'[BOMQty] - 'MRR'[RecvQty] in Power BI DeskTop

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. web page

Make it easy to convert Excel to a back end web page so web site users enter information into fields on the web page, calculations are performed on the back end excel sheet and the results are displayed. Then make it possible to save those results intro a database so it can be used in programs like dynamics CRM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base