Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow multiple files to open with one Excel instance.

In order to increase productivity, and to improve visual efficiency, please allow multiple files to open in one window (instance) of Excel. The ribbons and menus take up too much display space.

19 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Perform Calculations (Sum, Count, If, etc.) Based on Cell Color

Allow users to create formulas and that perform specified operations with data/values from only cells with a chosen background color, from a range of cells.

For example, in a range of 10 cells (A1:A10), only 3 cells have been colored yellow (either by the user or by a specified condition). A user can create a formula, such as =SUM or =COUNT or =AVERAGE, that will only use the cells colored yellow to determine the result. All other cells in the range, regardless of background color, will be excluded from the formula's result.

Alternatively, the same functionality can be achieved based…

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Excel Misinterpreting CSV as SYLK file.

When opening a CSV file in Excel where the first field is "ID", Excel gives a dialog saying the extension does not match the file type (Excel assuming the file type to be SYLK). I have had to make a change to my codebase to change "ID" to "_ID" specifically for users who utilize Excel. I would appreciate a fix ASAP.

26 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Copy multiple selections into Clipboard

I've always wanted the option to copy multiple selections to the clipboard. When you paste, you'd be presented with the option of everything on your clipboard, to be able to pick which selection(s) you want to paste.

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Increase the file path length to more than 218 characters

Incresaing the character count in the file path matching with Excel online would be fitting. Or even more. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this.

13 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Restore MDI

Please bring Excel back to how it was prior to the 2016 version. Open only one instance of Excel for all spreadsheets. Have one Ribbon for all of them. Open all windows the same size of all others. Make split view work again. Enough of the 1,000 clicks we have to do more each day because of this SDI very bad idea.

15 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Power Query - cache shared nodes

Update Power Query in Excel to take advantage of caching in cases where a parent node refers to a child node that has already been refreshed (as exists in Power BI desktop today).

This issue creates significant performance problems with refresh times when creating highly interdependent financial and operational models. This is a show stopper from a usability and customer acceptance standpoint.

1,947 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

278 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

I wanted to share with you that the new query caching mechanism in Excel has been deployed to Office Insiders starting from Excel version 1801 (build 9001.*). At this stage, we would like to allow some “baking” time as we monitor the feature health metrics.

In this scope, we need your help to ensure a quality release! I encourage you to try the following scenarios and share your feedback:
                    1. Run Refresh All on a complex workbook with multiple query dependencies. Does it work faster?

2. Run Refresh All on a complex workbook with multiple query dependencies. Do you see any issues with your data?

3. Refresh a single query several times. Do you see any issues with your data?

- The Excel Team

• Fix Path/Filename Length Restrictions (Office, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc.)

Please fix length limitations on the path/filenames in Office, OneDrive, SharePoint etc!! This has been a problem for many years. Not only is the limitation too small --- but it is inconsistent across the MS Suite of products.

In some places I can save a specific path and filename and others I cannot (e.g., SAVE AS functionality seems to have one limitation and file moves or copies have a different limitation).

I recently starting using OneDrive to keep my files backed up as I work. The issue is that when I try to build some organization into my folder structure,…

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Bring dividend data for the Stocks data type

In addition to stock price data, bring dividend data for the stocks

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • INDIA's Currency Symbol is missing

Please add the all countries symbols of currency in Microsoft Excel.
                        Specially INDIA's currency symbol because if i am not wrong number user is very high in india of your product and they definitely found lack of our symbol in excel when they need.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Excel would be great if it added the "Change Case" drop down menue from Word to Excel

By adding Word's "Change Case" options to Excel it would improve Excel's editing abilities and increase customer productivity adding value to the Excel product

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow dates to display un-grouped by default

Make a setting to allow dates to display un-grouped by default. Currently when you add dates to the pivot table fields it creates the quarter, month, year deal and you have to right click and ungroup. I see the usefulness of both ways but ungrouped is used far more by some users.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • When will "Ideas" be available in Excel?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/ideas-in-excel-3223aab8-f543-4fda-85ed-76bb0295ffc4?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Could someone let me know when "Ideas" will be available in Excel?

I am an Office Insider user an I currently use Version Build 11126.20002

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Improvements to formula viewing

Currently alt+tab can be used to segregate sections of a formula onto new lines. This could be enhanced by including an option to display values at the end of each line. This could make the interrogation of large formulas far easier.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Date auto-input revision

When writing dates into Excel (Mac and PC I believe) currently you can write something like 01/01/20 and it will auto-input 01/01/2020. However, if you put in 01/01/30 or any year after this, it automatically assumes 01/01/1930 not 2030. I don't think I am unusual in using forward-looking data and find it very frustrating that Excel automatically assumes backward-looking data for dates not that far in the future. Can this be updated to say 1950 onwards?? I.e. if you type 1/1/49 it would input 2049, but 1/1/50 it would input 1950.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Option to make line break (alt+enter) the default behavior of Enter key

As part of my work, I spend a ton of time writing text inside of Excel spreadsheet cells. What I'm writing needs to be neatly formatted and easily legible, so my cells contain many line breaks.

I find it endlessly frustrating that a line break requires Alt+Enter instead of simply Enter. I virtually never require the Enter key's default behavior of moving the selected cell. I end up hitting Enter out of habit, switch cells, and lose where I was with my typing.

I would greatly appreciate an option to switch the behavior of the Enter key to always create…

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Get Data from table without Totals

I have a table with a summary, when I get/import this table in other Excel file, it imports summary as data, that is wrong. Please correct that issue.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Machine Learning

XLMiner Ad In is built for data mining / machine learning algorithms in excel and now it's high time to get this ad in in excel by default.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add support for custom data connectors (Power Query M extensions)

Custom Data Connectors mechanism is being developed by Power BI Desktop team:

* https://github.com/Microsoft/DataConnectors
                                          * https://github.com/Microsoft/DataConnectors/blob/master/docs/m-extensions.md

Excel's Get & Transform engine (Power Query) should have support for *.mez/*.pqx extensions too.

16 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base