Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. carra

sjdfhjfhjhasffhjhhdfjfhdfdjfhdfhjfhjfhdfjhdsfhsdjfhjdfhdsjfhdjfshfjsfjdfjdhfjdshfjshfjdshfjhdsfjhsfjhsjdfhsdjfjsdfhjhdjsfdsjhdjfhjhdhfjfhjafhsahdjshjsajdhsjdhasjdhsjdhsahdjasdhjshdsajdashdajshdjshdjsahdjsahjdasdhasjdhsjhdsjhdjsahdjshdjshdjhasjdhjshdsjhdjashdjsahdhasjdajsdhsajdhsajhdjasdjasjdsdhsajdhjasdhjasdjsadhasjdhjasdhasjdhsajdhjasdhjasdhjsahdjsahdjasdjhsjdhsajdhjasdhasjhdjashdjsahdjashdjhajsdhjashdsajhdjashdasdsajdhasjdhjhdsjdhsjhdsjadjhdjsahdjshdjhsajdhasjdhsjahdjshdsjhdjshdjsadjshdjsahdjsahdjhdjasdhajdhsjadhsjdjshsjahdjsdhsajdshdjshdjashjdasjdhsajdhasjdhsajdjshdjsajdhasjdhsjdsjdhjhdjshdjhshdsjhjdhjs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

11 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make undo work per workbook, not for all of Excel. I am commonly working in two workbooks and need to undo something I did in the other work

Ctrl + Z should work per workbook, not for all of Excel. I commonly have two workbooks open and work in them simultaneously, but when I use the undo shortcut it backs out through all of excel, instead of just the active workbook.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. XLOOKUP to return an array of ranges

Currently XLOOKUP can return an array of return values, given an array of search values, OR a range corresponding to a single search value. Like other functions, it does not return an array of ranges but, rather, truncates the calculation.

This may have been acceptable in the past when the expectation was to copy formulas across to return values that logically form an array. As dynamic arrays receive increasing use, the expectation will change and the failure of a range to spill will be far more problematic.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SORT function with sort_order argument 0 as random

Hi. You could create a new option 0 as the sort_order argument of the SORT function. Today we have 1 for Ascending, -1 for Descending and then we would have 0 representing shuffle, random order.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "TIME TRAVEL" FEATURE.

Excel To include with time travel feature.This will facilitate to access back the file even if saved for erroneous data which will enable to access file for previous times status like 5min, 10min, 15min etc. back or before. In this way even file saved with heavy mistakes can be retrieved back to previous status and can be utilised for further work without redoing as whole.It is like restore to some known good configuration as in windows registry.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Page Setup - Header/Footer - combined feature requests

This idea combines a host of ideas which all call for similar functionality. The individual postings score minimal votes but together they add to 75 votes. I raise this to combine the feature requests, so that it gets prominence as I would dearly like to see this addressed.

Features for the Header / Footer:
    1. include variables based on a cell reference
    2. more than one Picture and Shapes
    3. Print and save dates
    4. Number of pages of the sheet and of the workbook
    5. Add file properties (quick parts in Word)
    6. Option for the header/footer on the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

139 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables

The new Dynamic Arrays make possible to automatically fill down formulas. Tables can also fill down formulas. Microsoft Excel Team could make both features be compatible so we could convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables making them expand and shrink according to the main formula.

149 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add a MONTHDIF function

The formula should work like the YEARFRAC function. It should calculate partial months on either end of the dates. So starting 1/15/20 should calculate as 16/31 days or 0.516.. months, and ending at 6/5/20 should calculate as 25/30 day or 0.8333.. months. Currently, I have to use a ridiculously long formula to achieve this.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Power Query should allow Get from Folder from a Ondrive folder URL (not the mapped folder on the local file system)

Power Query allows Get from Folder from a local file system. If we are using Onedrive, we have to first map the folders to that local file system. We cannot directly enter the URL of the Onedrive folder as an https URL.

This would avoid the problem of having queries break when the local file system is different between, say, my work and my home PCs. EG the work folder may be C:\Users(work userid)\Onedrive - (my onedriveID)\folder name. But my home folder is C:\Users(home userid)\Onedrive - (my onedriveID)\folder name.
    I'd be happy to use "try Folder.Files (work*) otherwise Folder.Files (home*)…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to Disable Dynamic Array Functionality

We would like the ability to disable the recently added Dynamic Array Functionality.
    According to our in-house testing, Office 365 Version 1910 (Build 12130.20272) is the first build to include the Dynamic Array functionality. This new 'feature' basically broke the way our business has managed and shared large spreadsheets made up of calculations consisting of figures from various external links.

For example… In Excel versions prior to the build listed above, when a user with access to the linked data sources opens one of these spreadsheets, the calculations will update including data from the external links. Once said spreadsheet has…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

122 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Entering Dates after 2030

I'm entering dates going out to 2032, and when I enter dates like 10/1/32, Excel is changing the date to 1932. Excel should be defaulting to 2032 like it does for dates in the 2020's.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Insert Data From Picture Option Available for Excel Desktop

Insert Data From Picture has been rolled out for Excel Mobile.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/insert-data-from-picture-3c1bb58d-2c59-4bc0-b04a-a671a6868fd7

Please make this available for Excel Desktop. (Or is already available? If so how to access it?)

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Show cells in relation to other data in a better way

Hi

See screenshot. I'm in a cell with the value 26 112. I want to know if this is casual wages or PAYE and it's not obvious, I have to strain my eye a bit and make sure I follow the cells correctly. Same thing if I want to see other numbers in the same column as the 26 112. If I want to see a number that's15 rows up on the same column, if there's a lot of data, it's really difficult to follow.

So, it would be great if you had a view that highlights all info in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Clean the crud (esp. advertisements & foul language) from this suggestion list

Periodically, clean the crud (esp. advertisements & pointless rants written in foul language) from this suggestion list.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add a floating totals row to dynamic arrays

When using dynamic arrays, it would be nice to have the option of a floating totals row at the bottom of the dynamic spill range.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base