Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I'd like to avoid the "DISCLAIMER regarding financial market information... etc." - please allow possibility to tick off after reading

Hi
    Seeing the "DISCLAIMER regarding financial market information is provided as-is... etc." multiple times is annoying.
    Please provide a possibility to tick off the disclaimer after having read it - potentially based on the user, so it pops up ONE TIME for each new user of the spread sheet.
    I hereby hope NEVER to see the Disclaimer after having seen it ONCE in the same spreadsheet :-)

Regards
    Søren

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. There are Duplicate Shortcuts For Converting a List into Table, Let's use one them for another functionality

A Table has a lot more functionality than a List. Although there are 6 different ways of converting a List into a Table, Excel users find it easy to do that with a shortcut. Surprisingly there are 2 shortcuts performing the same exact task:
    CTRL + T (T stands for Table) or CTRL + L (L stands for List)
    Why should we reserve 2 shortcuts for the same action? let's keep only the relatively new one CTRL + T (users are familiar with this one)
    While Assign the older shortcut CTRL + L to copying to the left (L stands…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Money add-on for Canada

Hello. I just heard about the new Money add-on for US users. Looking forward to have this available in Canada.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. text water mark

Right now we have only Addition of picture for watermark. Adding text water mark option as given in ms word will help us a lot.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Timespan calculus

Currently, in cells formatted as time ([$-x-systime]h:mm:ss AM/PM), if I sum 16:00 and 12:00, I get 04:00. I would like to have the possibility of getting 28:00.

Maybe this could be achieved through a new TimeSpan cell format that would show the absolute number of years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds, etc. without a calendar, according to the selected format.

So, 28:00 could, also, be shown as "1 day and 4 hours", or "1d4h", depending on the format selected by the user.

Those TimeSpan cells would operate with other cell formats nicely. It would be possible to add a time…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Lambda optional parameters

Using the new lambda function, can we have the ability to put parameter names in square brackets to turn them into optional parameters for the user?
    LAMBDA(parameter1, parameter2, [parameter3])
    This would be extremely useful for reusable functions. For example, I've created a function that combines arrays, but I don't want to have limit that function to passing only a specific number of arrays or forcing the user to enter commas for the remaining criteria. Similar to index, or sumifs or other function that has optional parameters please!
    Also, if you're feeling generous, I'd love the option of hidden parameters too,…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Color box - wrong color arrangement

Hello,

suggestion to change the color box so that the basic colors are red, blue and yellow.

The current situation is red, blue and green.

The reason is that green is not a basic color.

Regards

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. financial market information disclaimer

I know this has been requested in the past by others. But:
    The Financial Market Disclaimer, across the top of the spreadsheet, when using stock data, needs to be removed as it is in the users face. Just have one universal acknowledgment, like the investment banks have, and remove the disclaimer.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SUMCOLS and SUMROWS functions for Dynamic Arrays

Create new functions that SUM each column in a dynamic array (SUMCOLS(Ref#)) to produce a row of totals, and SUM each row to produce a column of totals (SUMROWS(Ref#))

Also COUNTCOLS, COUNTROWS, AVERAGECOLS, AVERAGEROWS, but these are less important than SUMCOLS & SUMROWS.

300 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. MBOX to PST Converter

If you wish to convert MBOX to PST files, first try the SysInspire MBOX Converter application's Free Trial edition to convert MBOX to PST files with just a few things from each mailbox. The trial version will show you how to use the software and its features, as well as how to convert MBOX files to Outlook PST files right away. Additionally, you may convert MBOX files to a variety of file formats, including EML, EMLX, MSG, MSG, and MSG, as well as Office 365.

Read More:- https://www.sysinspire.com/mboxconverter/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Get rid of scientific notation being automatically applied on large numbers

Excel automatically converts large numbers to scientific notation. This is possibly the most useless and annoying feature ever. Please stop.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Property in Power Query "Enable background refresh" - default to unchecked

When creating a new query in Power Query, by default the property "Enable background refresh" is enabled. Please make this property be unchecked by default. The cases where I need this property disabled outgrow at large the cases where the background refresh can be turned on.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. formula bar position

With the advent of more programming type formulas (LET/LAMBDA etc), I would love to be able to resize and reposition the formula bar to the left or right hand side as a pane. Often times I need to scroll up and down a formula to see the impact of a formula change on a range of cells. A portrait orientation pane would solve that.

Possibly a floating thing would work. Actually yeah, a floating undocked formula pane would be sweet. Do that.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make it possible to open 2 workbooks with the same name

There is no reason for this not to be possible.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Power Query Advanced editor

Please add Find/Replace to the Power Query Advanced Editor. Please! Please again!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. There is No direct command for clearing the Data Validation on the Ribbon

Everyone is using Data Validation in Excel for simple or complex projects. However if you decide to clear your data validation rules there is No direct command on the ribbon to do that: So you have to go to the Data Tab >> Open the data Validation dialog box >> Click on Clear All >> Close the dialog Box.
    My suggestion is to integrate this functionality with the Data Validation button in the ribbon (as explained in the attached Graphic) which will enable the user with a click to either clear Data Validation from a selected range or from the…

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Microsoft 365 Apps for business can’t use the "From Online Services" option in the Get Data feature of the Excel application

Title: unable to connect to SharePoint online with power query from Excel
    Desc:
    There is no SharePoint Connector as mentioned in the support docs at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/sharepointlist

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. A "Back" button that would take the user to the previous worksheet

I've always dreamed of a button where I could just hit back and I would be taken to the previous worksheet I was just working on.

The problem is, you can't easily create this with VBA. If you run a macro to record a user's action, you break the undo chain.

The back button would make a perfect and homey addition to a quick access toolbar.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Display pivot table headers in the columns headers

With the tables, if the header is not visible, Excel displays the headers of the table in the columns headers (see the picture attached)

It will be great to have the same behaviour with the pivot tables

63 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base