Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better compatiity with the Surface Pen

With the surface pen, users should be able to write in any cell on a spreadsheet and excel will automatically convert the handwriting to digital numbers or letters when the user starts writing in a different cell (or maybe after users draw a special characters like a check mark or something like that to signal to excel that the user is done writing in that cell.)

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Cool idea. We have been exploring a number of pen ideas like this for Excel. We’ll definitely consider this one in our next round of planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

2. Insert an image directly from a scanner

In order to insert an image from hardcopy material it is necessary to scan the material to a graphic file and then insert the graphic. It would save time and effort to insert an image directly from a scanner. For example, I scan invoices and cash register receipts from individuals to insert into a voucher for authorization to cut a check for reimbursement to the individual.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea. We will definitely consider it while planning our next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. allow to make the background of a sheet transparent (except the tab)

this would be a simple way to create multilayer drawings with shapes
    reasons for this idea:
    -an employee or executive has usually no time to learn Illustrator.
    - in the beginning, spreadsheet programs were a kind of Lego allowing a user to build a simple or very complex model easily.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next planning cycle. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Spellcheck should include text in linked pictures from other sheets

My clients produce master spreadsheets containing sections of text as linked pictures from other sheets in the same files. After processing the master spreadsheet, I do a spellcheck, which tells me "Spellcheck complete. You're good to go." But I'm not really, because spellcheck doesn't look at those linked pictures. I only just discovered this. Now I have to spellcheck each sheet separately. Either make spellcheck work properly, or at least provide a warning of what hasn't been checked.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our planning for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base