Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Calculation time remaining

When Excel is calculating, we currently see something like "Calculating (4 processors): 99%" in the status bar. "Time remaining" would be useful as well.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need a better distinction between "long calculation" and "frozen/crashed"

There are calculations so large and long that Excel is unresponsive until they are done. It will say something like "Book1 - Excel (Not Responding)" in the title bar. The GUI will not update and will fade if you try to click in it with your "hourglass" cursor.

If I didn't know any better (and I used to not know any better), I would assume that Excel was frozen and just kill the process and lose all of my saved work. But it isn't frozen. It's just taking a very long time. This should be made clear to the user…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve Performance of Excel 64 bit for data download from SAP

We download data from SAP to Excel, the performance is normal with 32 bit Office, but poor with 64 bit Office. We reported to SAP and the reply is:
    "SAP Desktop office integration version is same and only difference is office 64 and 32 bit. So as per our knowledge, issue has to be analyzed by micro soft colleagues. OLE calls are taking more time with 64 bit Office and hence it is resulting in performance issue."

Please improve the performance of OLE calls of 64 bit Excel from SAP.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Form control scroll bar bug

With large Excel models, when a variable is linked to Form controls such as a sliders (e.g. for a dashboard), the slider can start moving of its own accord even if the user has only clicked once. Please can you fix this bug.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Modified Split/freeze function

At times we need to freeze one column and scroll in left as well as right side of the sheet. so it would be great if there is a functionality to freeze one column and browse the sheet

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Page set up gridlines and headings

For some unknown reason everytime I open a workbook it has gone back to not printing gridlines and printing headings. I change it, and save it, but when I open it again next time it has reverted back. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Integrate Cortana more closely in Excel

Integrate Cortana more closely with Excel. For example:

1-Calling Cortana to lookup VBA code and/or help online instead of opening a browser window,

2-Calling Cortana to lookup meaning/ synonyms /translation of selected Excel cells,

3-Calling Cortana to explain new functionalities of new Excel versions.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Improve CONCAT

CONCAT is good but if we can have a separator syntax that would make more sense. For example assume I have alphabets form A1 to A26 and now "B1 =CONCAT(A1:A26," | ")" should give me "A | B | C | D "and so on.

hope you understood. and wish to see it ASAP in excel

Thank you!
    Guru Charan Pathalla

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

When viewing an Excel spreadsheet offline, without internet access, Excel is constantly using 13% CPU resources for no apparent reason. No action is being performed on the spreadsheet, but Excel appears to be constantly checking for internet access. Even after I close Excel, the Excel.exe remains running at 13% CPU in the background, and must be terminated manually in the task manager. There is no reason for Excel to be constantly utilizing these CPU resources.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide a way to revert to the old-style pull-down menus instead of the ribbon as a default option.

Provide an option to choose between the ribbon menus and the old-style pull-down menus of Excel 97-2003.
    I am sticking to the 2003 version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Clear Clipboard

When you copy in excel and then past the data you have to now do an additional step in clearing the clipboard. Yes I know that you can use the esc key to do this, but it's very inconvenient when you are working with a lot of data. This extra step slows down production and allows for error of pasting data into areas or other programs/files that it wasn't intended. Please fix these clipboard issues. They are not an improvement.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ensure "Protect Workbook" Security is Unhackable : Microsoft Excel

Hi,
    Excel is still easy to unlock with googleable methods. Could Microsoft kindly ensure that their products are not so easily hackable? Thank you.

Method 1. Unlock/unprotect Excel file and software

Step 1. Create a new folder and drag password-protected excel into the folder;
    Step 2. Open the folder and go to Organize > Click Folder and search options;
    Step 3. Tab View and scroll down to uncheck Hide extensions for known file types > Click Apply;
    Step 4. Now the Excel extension is .xlsx and change it to .zip > Click Yes when it asks if you want to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. alt accelerators delay

Due to added Graphics in office 2016, at times the alt accelerator is slow and we have to wait a second or so to get the shortcut applied.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. FIX IT!

Needs a warning before it becomes unresponsive. What good are all the new features if we can't use them? Go back to old style of conditional formatting. XLS version was easy to use and quite reliable. The XLXS version is terrible AND UNRELIABLE! Sharing files with multiple users using it on different computers with windows 7.8 or 10 and excel versions of excel 2010 or 2016 causes all kinds of problems. Try using this as it is.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bug: Refresh PowerQuery and linked tables 3 till 4 times slower in Excel versions as of version 16.0.8XXX.***

Since the upgrade of Excel 2016 version 16.0.7XXX to 16.0.8XXX it costs much more time to refresh a powerquery table or linked tabled in the power pivot model. When you refresh the connection, you have to wait much longer as also discussed in call [REG:117101116476402].

Attached you will find 2 sheets with a small model. I uploaded them as with the call number earlier.

The smaller the model is, the faster the response times (conform expectation), but nevertheless, you see a difference between the new and the old version of Excel 2016 (3 times slower).
    I build a Macro to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Open multiple worrkbooks

Excel is opening again and again, every time a workbook is opened. this causes a long time for the workbook to open, and uses more resources from the laptop. Would prefer to open multiple workbooks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel 2016

When I scroll or navigate around on Excel 2016, the cursor swooshes and jiggles around before it settles into the new location.

--scrolling is rough
    --I slide the bar left/right or up/down and it shakes when I let up on the click. Aaaaaahhhhhhh!
    --I click on a different cell and it swooshes into the new location.

My brain is concentrating on the complicated spreadsheet, but the dancing round the spreadsheet is TOTALLY DISTRACTING AND ANNOYING. Please take out the swooshing, jiggling and shaking and let us go back to concentrating on our work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Aiuto! "Errore generale della posta elettronica chiudere excel, riavviare il sistema di posta elettronica e riprovare" Utilizzando Excel 2

Aiuto! "Errore generale della posta elettronica chiudere excel, riavviare il sistema di posta elettronica e riprovare"

Utilizzando Excel 2010 ed anche Word 2010 e scegliendo da file -->salva e invia --->invia come allegato, ottengo come errore

"Errore generale della posta elettronica chiudere excel, riavviare il sistema di posta elettronica e riprovare".

Stessa identico messaggio se provo ad inviare l'allegato tramite le altre opzioni disponibili.

Faccio presente che questo errore è nato da un giorno all’altro dopo che ieri Windows 10 ha fatto l’aggiornamento (2017-12 Aggiornamento Cumulativo per Windows10 versione 1709 per sistemi basati su x64 KB4054517).

Fino a martedì funzionava…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. automatically remove unused ranges when saving (control file size)

Today, if a file becomes bloated due to empty range being tagged as "used", it is possible to go through each worksheet, delete the blank ranges of rows or columns after the real data, and resave to shrink the file.

Would it be possible to improve Excel's algorithm to identify used ranges, and re-scan files during the save process to reduce range sizes automatically, and save users from this file bloat?

It seems like it would be easy to detect cells without contents, so I'm guessing the current algorithm is looking at applied styles or something similar. If that were…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. sharing changes no longer allowing network sharing only one drive

we cannot share files on network drives since your change to only allow sharing on One Drive. Not everyone in our company has One Drive. Additionally, your help articles to unshare files in Legacy mode, does not work. The Legacy share options are all greyed out. This is causing us to completely recreate spreadsheets we depend on between departments.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base