Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I want to dictate text into an Excel 2016 cell, and then receive a command at the end of the dictation. Without leaving the cell to receive

Microsoft could maybe buy out Dragon Naturally Professional Edition and offer it to it's 365 subscribers.
    I'm sure there is a better way
    Thanks for your Time and Consideration,
    Keith

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel 2016 : ClearContents is 3 times slower than Excel2010

My customers reported me that my product (Excel Addin) becomes slower after they updated Excel from 2010 to 2016.
    By analyzing the problem it turned out that main reason of the slow performance is 'ClearContents'.
    I setup two same hardware condition machine. I installed Win10 into them. Then I installed Excel 2010 on the machine A.
    And I installed Excel 2016 on the machine B.
    By using the following code, I measured the time to ClearContens.

It takes 2859 ms on Excel2010 (A) . It takes 9719 ms on Excel2016 (B).

Generally thinking , a customer will expect faser performance…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. You have failed to bring footers forward fromn the 2010 version work books to the 2016 version. The 2016 version is much slower than 2010.

Why is it that you do such nasty stuff to your customers? Like making 2016 slower and dropping old setup and footer data. Something as dumb as removing the grid lines when printing. This is the sort of stuff which drives people to BRAND X.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Page set up gridlines and headings

For some unknown reason everytime I open a workbook it has gone back to not printing gridlines and printing headings. I change it, and save it, but when I open it again next time it has reverted back. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. drag and drop

I have an excel file open. I would like to be able to attach the excel file to an open email by dragging the excel screen to the body of the open email. Please release in the next version. Thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix bug: slow cursor scrolling speed when sheet contains comments or drop down lists

On high DPI screens, the performance of Excel (in terms of user input lag) becomes terrible if you put a comment on a cell in a worksheet, or if you put a drop-down list in a work sheet.

One easy way to reproduce the bug on a high DPI screen:

1. set keyboard delay to minimum.
    2. set keyboard repeat spead to max.
    3. On an empty worksheet in excel 2016, start from row 1, and hold the down arrow key and time how long it takes to get to row 200 (should take about 7 seconds).
    4. Now go…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. CONVERT TEXT TO VALUE.

In Large file with Lots of Formulas, if we give command to Covert Text To Value, Excel recalculates entire file after each text is converted to Value. Instead it should convert all text cells to number at once and then recalculate the file. In Large data it takes hours to convert to value and Excel crashes many times. I have to use formula to convert to value instead of built in option. Feel free to contact me if you need I would love to explain my point.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Keep offline help for both EXCEL and VBA

Please return offline help like in Excel 2010 (for VBA and Excel)... It is enugh to have just basic offline help without totally up to date informations in 98% cases.
    Thank you.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. improve convert to number from right click menu

When Excel detects a range stored as text it gives a icon that you can click to convert the strings to numbers. This however is incredibly slow when applied to a range, it takes more than 1 sec per entry on my i5 windows machine. For a range of 1000+ this take unbearably long without opportunity to interrupt.

I wrote a VBA code that simply does a .value = .value and pastes the range back into the sheet. This is 100s of times faster that Excel's built in functionality. Please improve the built-in function's performance

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Put the Share button back. We use tons of shared workbooks and we have no intention of slapping them all on Onedrive.

Put the Share button back. We use tons of shared workbooks and we have no intention of slapping them all on Onedrive.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Long processing of Excel filters on all computers except one

Good afternoon.

Tell me, please, on this problem: there are several similar Excel files, the volume of 15-25 MB, containing a large number of tabs and data with formulas. When you try to apply filters, these files are processed very long, regardless of the amount of RAM installed on the workstation. It is logical to assume that the problem is in the files themselves and their volumes, but on one of the computers running Windows 7 64, with the office 2013 32, when you try to start one of these files, the standard message appears "Insufficient resources: Select less data…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Most used currency symbols to be put at top of dropdown! T

Most used currency symbols to be put at top of dropdown!

This logic could be applied to many dropdowns but currency seemed a very good one to start with, as the list is ridiculously long when I'm sure the majority of users would use USD/GBP/CHI/EUR (have these ad default on top of list?) and by having it capture most used by each user, it would also benefit the minority that do use the likes of Tibetan currency frequently!

I have used excel sheets for 50% of my day for the past 10 years and could give along list of improvements…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Increase performance and responsiviness

Excel usability could be improved significantly, by improving performance in the following scenarios:
    1) Large file open / save processes should be multi-threaded, since new file format uses threadable compression.
    2) UI responsiviness should be improved (but I think this applies to all XAML/UWP code apps). Excel 2007 with forms is still 3-5 times faster than new ui.
    3) List views, could those use hashed lists and quicksort (yes, this would use more memory, but it would allow handling much larger lists and filters with 100 times faster than currently).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. update excels dates from 2011 to current year on templates

update excels dates from 2011 to current year on templates

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. vlookup returns formatting of target cell not just data within target cell

Vlookup currently returns only array data within a looked up cell only into my target cell. I require any cell formatting found in the looked up cell such as colour fill to be returned in the vlookup function to the target cell. If the vlookup did this automatically rather than me having to then create conditional formatting rules for each variable of data returned from the array after vlookup has completed its job returning the data from my array into my workbook it would make the vlookup tool much more powerful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unique Filtering Bug Excel 2013 (extremely slow)

This is still a problem even with the latest Excel updates.

I have 2 columns, with 175,000 lines.

- Column A contains a 5 digit number.
    - Column B contains a value (between -50 and 100).

Steps to reproduce:

1) I have cleared all filters, formats, and there are no extra rows / columns on the sheet.

2) I select Column A and Column B.

3) I click "Advanced Filter".

4) I click "Criteria" text entry.

5) I select Column A.

6) I select "Unique Records Only".

Result:

I then see windows blinking open and closing in Excel, while it…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Combine cells, increase command utility

COMBINING CELLS should offer the possibility of displaying in the new block only the contents of the first cell or the concatenated contents of all cells, without deleting the actual contents of each cell, which will be shown again when the block is undone. This would greatly enhance the performance of the command.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base