Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow break [Ctrl-Break or similar] of long-running opeartions/calculations that lock Excel

Well-written VBA code may still (in some cases) take a long time to run, and (again, if well written) can be paused or stopped using Ctrl-break.

There are a multitude of ways users can intentionally or unintentionally trigger long-running, CPU intensive Excel (worksheet) operations, with no apparent recourse to pause or stop, either because the action was an accident (auto filling a complex formula across a very large data set), or the user has some other task that comes up and needs to take priority.

AFAIK, the only option is to either wait for Excel to finish the activity, or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable multi CPU threads/cores for sorting

Enable multi CPU threads/cores for sorting

Currently sorting and may other calculations are still single cpu core thread (even when the multi core is selected in the options) causing large spreadsheets to freeze "not responding" for several minutes at a time. All modern systems have multiple CPU cores and threads. It is time Excel have an upgrade to take advantage of multi core CPUs

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GIVE ME BACK MY OLD EXCEL, THE PROGRAM I HAVE KNOWN FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

GIVE ME BACK MY OLD EXCEL. NO RIBBONS, CLASSIC FORMATS AND TOOLBARS! OLD DOGS CAN LEARN NEW TRICKS, BUT THIS IS SILLY. FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGING THE WAY TO USE THIS PROGRAM, WHICH I HAVE KNOWN FOR OVER 20 YEARS, IS SILLY TO ME

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Re-order pinned workbooks

You should be able to rearrange the order of the pinned Excel workbooks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel note card

Allow for a excel note card to be displayed in separate window from excel doc. The note card can display information from selected cells (ideally cells from different documents). The window should close separate from the doc. Could give an overview of important info on screen even when documents are not open.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improve the rendering engine PLEASE

Using Excel 365 on a 4k monitor is a sluggish, laggy nightmare with big spreadsheets. I can't even scroll through an EMPTY spreadsheet without Excel jerking and lagging behind as I gently push the scroll bar up and down.

Yes, my PC is as fast as it can get, and yes, I've tried all the usual suggestions about disabling hardware acceleration, enabling it again, updating this and that, reinstalling, repairing. I know I'm not running into problems with macros or add-ins or whatever. And I have an i7-8700K with all the bells and whistles, so I'm really struggling to imagine…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. #1 excell improvement many times smarter faster processing

smarter faster processing is the only real performance improvement that people want for their spreadsheet program.

1000s to perhaps millions of times faster processing could be obtained.

needed for accomplishment:

1) Internal or external "large FPGA" card or on Mother board FPGA
    2) Design Library created by Microsoft for acceleration ( FPGA building block modules to combine with your own design projects ) an FPGA API.
    3) while smaller scale FPGAs may be affordable (50K logic cells), the best technology (several million logic cells) are out of most users price range because of lower demand and more expensive resources. So…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix window drag lag due to high mouse polling rate

With high-end mice, having a higher poll rates greater than 200Hz will produce a lag - not fluid - while dragging the window

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix the bug which makes the mouse unusable when the spreadsheet is too large

I can't select cells with my mouse, meaning the worksheet is incredibly difficult to complete. This renders the software almost unusable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. why keep changing things!!!!

I am sick of having what I am working with modified without consultation. How would you like it if someone moved the seat in your car and didn't put it back!! Just leave things alone..I will contact you if I want to change

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remove "Translate" from Excel

Remove "Translate" from Excel, you are ruining keyboard shortcuts. I do not need help translating "2" to "2" -- at least make this an option.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I want to dictate text into an Excel 2016 cell, and then receive a command at the end of the dictation. Without leaving the cell to receive

Microsoft could maybe buy out Dragon Naturally Professional Edition and offer it to it's 365 subscribers.
    I'm sure there is a better way
    Thanks for your Time and Consideration,
    Keith

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. drag and drop

I have an excel file open. I would like to be able to attach the excel file to an open email by dragging the excel screen to the body of the open email. Please release in the next version. Thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel 2016 : ClearContents is 3 times slower than Excel2010

My customers reported me that my product (Excel Addin) becomes slower after they updated Excel from 2010 to 2016.
    By analyzing the problem it turned out that main reason of the slow performance is 'ClearContents'.
    I setup two same hardware condition machine. I installed Win10 into them. Then I installed Excel 2010 on the machine A.
    And I installed Excel 2016 on the machine B.
    By using the following code, I measured the time to ClearContens.

It takes 2859 ms on Excel2010 (A) . It takes 9719 ms on Excel2016 (B).

Generally thinking , a customer will expect faser performance…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. You have failed to bring footers forward fromn the 2010 version work books to the 2016 version. The 2016 version is much slower than 2010.

Why is it that you do such nasty stuff to your customers? Like making 2016 slower and dropping old setup and footer data. Something as dumb as removing the grid lines when printing. This is the sort of stuff which drives people to BRAND X.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Page set up gridlines and headings

For some unknown reason everytime I open a workbook it has gone back to not printing gridlines and printing headings. I change it, and save it, but when I open it again next time it has reverted back. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix bug: slow cursor scrolling speed when sheet contains comments or drop down lists

On high DPI screens, the performance of Excel (in terms of user input lag) becomes terrible if you put a comment on a cell in a worksheet, or if you put a drop-down list in a work sheet.

One easy way to reproduce the bug on a high DPI screen:

1. set keyboard delay to minimum.

2. set keyboard repeat spead to max.

3. On an empty worksheet in excel 2016, start from row 1, and hold the down arrow key and time how long it takes to get to row 200 (should take about 7 seconds).

4. Now go back to the top…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. CONVERT TEXT TO VALUE.

In Large file with Lots of Formulas, if we give command to Covert Text To Value, Excel recalculates entire file after each text is converted to Value. Instead it should convert all text cells to number at once and then recalculate the file. In Large data it takes hours to convert to value and Excel crashes many times. I have to use formula to convert to value instead of built in option. Feel free to contact me if you need I would love to explain my point.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. adjust scrolling to allow better visability.

I need to see the contents of an above cell when entering data in a new cell. Because the cells are tall, I cannot make a partial scroll that would allow this and it's very frustrating.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base