Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make it work properly!

Be nice if a simple calculation using a negative number could reverse sign using (* -1). Only first cell works all the rest say (#VALUE!).

Several functions do not work either.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If a cell's value before and after recalculation is the same, do not trigger the recalculation of dependent cells

Currently, whenever a cell's formula is changed, all downstream dependent cells will recalculate to reflect the potentially new value of the cell. However, if this value didn't change, this recalculation is wasted work and time, especially if the downstream calculations are slow.

Not all changes to formulas result in drastically different logic. Sometimes, a user may simply want to clean up the formula or add a small piece of error handling. Also, not all recalculations of a cell are due to a change in the formula. For example, because the TODAY function is volatile, any cell that uses it or…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Power query edit SQL without running the query three times.

Please shortcut the number of SQL refreshes that Excel makes when editing a SQL query via Power Query. The system currently refreshes 3 times.

The older system only did one refresh.

I will look for a hack to force the old system as I have seen embedded SQL still using the old cramped editor.

I use SSMS to prototype code because Power Query and the old system socks at giving proper error messages or typeahead..

So that makes 4 queries.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please add Offline Help to Office back again

Online only help is not suitable, as I don't want you to collect more data than necessary. Forcing Online only is a bad habit of software companies!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Change the border color around the selected cell

I frequently use Ctrl+F shortcut to find data withing a huge spreadsheet on fast paced meeting calls. Often, the green border is not enough to differentiate the searched cell quickly, it gets lost in the field of view. Please, add a feature that changes the border color - or cell color when selected. Just make it easier to make it different so it can be found quickly. Thank you thank you

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Possibility in Excel to sort the tabs alphabetically

Possibility in Excel to sort the tabs alphabetically (add this option / button)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. working modes when using excel

We are will use excel for different types of purposes...…. Entering data on a table, preparing different types of statements.... Preparing drawings by using auto shapes etc...…

for Example, I am entering a selected data in a single work sheet from difference work sheets (or) work books. If we turn the excel in data entry mode..... then we will only enter the and selection of cells will be automatically done in sequence of columns or sequence of rows depending upon table format. If this all happened by the help of AI it will be more productive. Based on customisations when…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Spill error is stupid

What is the point? This never occured in the past that I can remember. I want to "add" items from several tabs which we could do in the past. Now, there is ADDITIONAL data on my sheet that I do not need. This is the most stupid idea I have seen come in EXCEL in quite a while.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. GET YOUR FUCKING_UPDATE NOW BANNER OUR OF THE WAY..

GET YOUR FUCKING_UPDATE NOW BANNER OUR OF THE WAY..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Stop filling in formats for me. stay the **** out of my way. You do not know what I am trying to do.

Stop filling in formats for me. stay the **** out of my way. You do not know what I am trying to do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hey dumbasses at microsausage- why can a person open help when the cursor is inside a cell, but cannot search for a topic in help?

Hey dumbasses at microsausage- why can a person open help when the cursor is inside a cell, but cannot search for a topic in help?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Customer Servicing

I cannot open my spreadsheet file in Excel that was originated in 2011 and has been functional until 4/14/20 at which time at which time I was shut out with a message that I had put in "invalid characters in the file" which I did not. The file still shows the same title as always. I was able to open the file as is on 4/13/20. I am confused as why I cannot open the original file which I have not changed at all. Excel is not reading something correct.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to add a table of contents, one hyperlink for each worksheet in a workbook.

Ability to add a table of contents, one hyperlink for each worksheet in a workbook. When adding additional worksheets, ability to refresh the TOC to make it easy to find a particular worksheet within a workbook that has many worksheets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Quick Access Tool Bar: Utilize Above and Below Ribbon Simultaneously

BLUF: It is nice to have the Quick Access Tool Bar below the ribbon, but that leaves a lot of empty space up top that I would still like to use for other features. It would be nice to be able to put icons simultaneously in both places the Quick Access Tool Bar can go.

Auto Save, Save, Undo, Redo, etc. are not commands that I need or want below the ribbon in my Quick Access Tool Bar. I do, however, want those commands up top where they would normally be found. My thought is that when you are customizing…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. HEY ******** AT MICROSOFT- WHEN I TURN OFF THE SOUND IN YOUR SHIT_WARE, ACTUALLLY TURN OFF THE FUCKING_SOUNDS. ******* YOU.

HEY * AT MICROSOFT- WHEN I TURN OFF THE SOUND IN YOUR SHITWARE, ACTUALLLY TURN OFF THE FUCKINGSOUNDS. YOU.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fixing the 'One level (folder) up' issue when linking in excel. One level up brings straight to desktop instead of the folder up.

This issue happens when trying to link files on a shared mapped drive. When clicking one folder up after clicking 'Link', it jumps straight to desktop. Had reached out to Microsoft support and they said they're running into this issue too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ******* you for wasting more and more of my time with each of your shit_product "updates". FUCK_ YOU MICROSOFT.

******* you for wasting more and more of my time with each of your shitproduct "updates". FUCK YOU MICROSOFT.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Why have you removed the "Insert Comment" from my right-click pull down? Stop changing ****. It was fine where it was and some dumb "upda"

Why have you removed the "Insert Comment" from my right-click pull down? Stop changing . It was fine where it was and some dumb "update" of yours has now killed it? It's nowhere on any of your menus! Stop changing ! Leave it alone. I don't want or need sparkliness, you idiots

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel to latex add in

Add a latex add in because CTAN is not compatible with the newer versions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)