Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show other than Ctrl and blank when Busy Calculating

Hi, When Excel is Busy Calculating (multiple processors) a heavy file, should display better feedback than attached screenshot.
    Understanding threads are all tied up (ha!) with multiple processors @ 100% but show somthing more confident to end user that Excel is busy crunching rather than Not Responding with CTRL buttons overlaid everywhere.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. bring back performance for calculations, filters and conditionnal formatting

Overall performance of calculations, conditionnal cell formatting and auto filters have suffered a lot in the last two versions of Excel.
    We use to put formulas everywhere. Now I must recommend users to use them with caution because it might freeze their Excel and changes will be lost if it crashes.
    Now I must make sure those formulas are taken care of by SQL queries so Excel does not have to bother about it. But that puts a lot of pressure on my team which we had not when formulas were running like lightning.
    Also, display of formatting with an…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Give us choice between "uncluttered" and "productive" appearance

Microsoft has made much of the "uncluttered" appearance of 365, ignoring that my previous version was not "cluttered," it was EVERYTHING AT MY FINGERTIPS. Now I have to click two or three times to get what used to require just one click...hundreds of times every day. It wastes time and irritates my carpal tunnel. I do understand some people need or prefer a simpler view. How about offering the option to the rest of us to have that "clutter" back?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. STOP BOBBLING THE ******* SCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN I SCROLL THE MOUSE. ********.

STOP BOBBLING THE ******* SCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN I SCROLL THE MOUSE. ********.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. wizard to clear many invisible texboxes and images or shapes slow down Excel

sometimes there are several small empty textboxes with no border line that look invisible to the user. now if the user selects the cells that are behind those texboxes and copies them to a large range the number of the invisible textboxes multipllies.

i saw a workbook containing 30,000 textboxes and it was very slow, and the user dod not know about them.

a wizard that identifies the problem and suggest clearing them would help users to fix this.

maybe something lile this:

Sub ErasePictures()

Dim P As Picture
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim picsN As Integer

picsN = ActiveSheet.Pictures.Count …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When enabling the Filter, Excel jumps to the begaining of the Excel sheet

When we try to enable filter on Excel the excel jumping to the beginning of the sheet, Imagine I'm working on 130 Column raw data and when I try to enable the filter it return's me to the beginning of the sheet and I've to find where is the cell I was selecting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add save capability in Power Query

While working in Power Query the save option is not available and the autosave feature is disabled, thus we need to "close and load" the query, wait for the query to load and then we can save.
    When sometimes the application or computer crashes, we can lose hours of works.
    The possibility of saving the workbook while working in Power Query would be good

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. sub worksheets

Just as a workbook has many worksheets, each worksheet should have the capability to have multiple sub-worksheets.
    For example, if the worksheets are: USA, England, Japan, ..., then the worksheet USA could have sub worksheets, say California, New York, Arizona, ... .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. allow break [Ctrl-Break or similar] of long-running opeartions/calculations that lock Excel

Well-written VBA code may still (in some cases) take a long time to run, and (again, if well written) can be paused or stopped using Ctrl-break.

There are a multitude of ways users can intentionally or unintentionally trigger long-running, CPU intensive Excel (worksheet) operations, with no apparent recourse to pause or stop, either because the action was an accident (auto filling a complex formula across a very large data set), or the user has some other task that comes up and needs to take priority.

AFAIK, the only option is to either wait for Excel to finish the activity, or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I don't like this option in Excel let me explain clearly

I don't like this option in Excel let me explain clearly ,
    If I wrote a name of Same Initial Names first time it will take the name next time if I want to enter another name with same initial it will automatically take the what I gave for the first time What should I do, I have to press Tab and again have to go to the name cell have to press F2 and reenter the name how long process is this. I don't know the option to set this if yes please tell me or else correct it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. GIVE ME BACK MY OLD EXCEL, THE PROGRAM I HAVE KNOWN FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

GIVE ME BACK MY OLD EXCEL. NO RIBBONS, CLASSIC FORMATS AND TOOLBARS! OLD DOGS CAN LEARN NEW TRICKS, BUT THIS IS SILLY. FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGING THE WAY TO USE THIS PROGRAM, WHICH I HAVE KNOWN FOR OVER 20 YEARS, IS SILLY TO ME

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. mirror and/or change justification of a jagged array in VBA or a selected range

This might also fit in data import, formulas & functions, macros, as well as here - but they key reason for this suggestion is to improve performance, so I'm putting it here.

In some cases, raw or processed data results in a jagged array of data, which may start with any justification depending on the data source (top, left, right, bottom - see example below). To change the justification/orientation, it appears the only option is to iterate the array and move the data one piece at a time. When working with (in my current use case) thousands of rows and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change implementation for changing source for complicated workbook

Current implementation of "Change sources" has issue in implementation which affect to performance very much(overload of open, read and close operation with linked workbook).
    current workflow:
    push "Change Source..." button and choice file (have to select only one);
    some work to update links in each cells(I don`t know how);
    updating value for each cells
    /*
    in this stage each cells update value undepended of all and if linked workbook didn`t open then open, read and close.
    */
    finish.

our propousal workflow:
    push "Change Source..." button and choice file (have to select only one);
    open workbook in background;
    some work to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Time to set XValue increases exponentially when row is hidden

Excel 2016 Version 1903 Build 11425.20204 (and possibly others) has a problem where the time required to set the hidden Xvalues of a series in a chart increases exponentially with the number of series in the chart.

"Hidden" x values are in rows which were hidden by code or the use (.EntireRow.Hidden = true). When you hide the row, the chart also hides the values.

"Set XValues" is a simple change to the XValues of a chart, specifically Chart.SeriesCollection.XValues = ""

For example if there are four series it takes approximately .07 seconds to set the X Values for both…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Time to set XValue increases exponentially when row is hidden

Excel 2016 Version 1903 Build 11425.20204 (and possibly others) has a problem where the time required to set the hidden Xvalues of a series in a chart increases exponentially with the number of series in the chart.

"Hidden" x values are in rows which were hidden by code or the use (.EntireRow.Hidden = true). When you hide the row, the chart also hides the values.

"Set XValues" is a simple change to the XValues of a chart, specifically Chart.SeriesCollection.XValues = ""

For example if there are four series it takes approximately .07 seconds to set the X Values for both…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Time to set XValue increases exponentially when row is hidden

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scrolling is Choppy

When dragging the scroll bar with medium to large spreadsheets it is very laggy/choppy. This is annoying and the scrolling should be much more fluid.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Re-order pinned workbooks

You should be able to rearrange the order of the pinned Excel workbooks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make is easier to download onto chromebook

maybe one app thaty would download the whole windows package with all apps included......

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow for manual refresh for camera function.

I love the camera function and I use it a lot for work. However, b/c it is set to auto refresh it really slows excel down after I have taken more than a few "pictures." Sometimes excel just freezes and I have to restart the file. It seems like a simple and easy solution would be to allow the user to control the refresh rate. Which, as far as I can tell is not an option. I don't need it to constantly refresh while I am building something out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base