Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allowing editing of a spreadsheet in browser only (One Drive)

It would be helpful to provide an option in One Drive that only allows the editing of a spreadsheet to be done in the browser. When the other option of downloading the spreadsheet is done, it locks the whole sheet down so others can edit. This is especially needed if large groups are editing/contributing to a spreadsheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop looping error messages

There should be an option to close out of error messages. When one comes up, there are OK, Cancel, and X buttons. Clicking any of them will open the same message again. The only way to get out of it is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and close Excel through the task manager.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove Win95 GDI+ limitation in excel cell - to allow for more than 1024 Char to be seen/Max Row height = 409 points

Remove Win95 GDI+ limitation in excel cell - to allow for more than 1024 Char to be seen/Max Row height = 409 points

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Section breaks within a single worksheet so column widths can be adjusted independently.

Section breaks within a single worksheet so column widths can be adjusted independently.

Example: Insert a section break in Row 11 where Rows 1 through 10 would be section 1 and rows 12 on would be section 2.

When the width of column A is adjusted in section 1, it does not affect column 1 in section 2 and vice versa.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Improve graphics on external monitor (characters are fuzzy)

Others may have written about this, and I know MS is working on it, but I strongly support your efforts to improving the visual appearance of the Office 365 applications when displaying them on an external monitor.

The look outstanding when displayed on the screen of my laptop, but when I drag applications to my attached external 24" monitor, the characters are all fuzzy . . . not to the point where I can't read them, but they're just not clear.

Please address this as soon as possible.

Thanks, and thanks for the great applications.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. **** ******* Microsoft

******** Microshit, I just lost three ******* hours of work when Excel ******* shut down for no ******* reason and lost all my ******* work. It did not autosave as i set it up to do. ********, ********, ******** and the ******* **** horse you rode in on. Piece of ******* incompetent ****.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please allow users to move items in the Quick Access Toolbar (without having to open Options).

Please make it so that users can click and drag the items in the Quick Access Toolbar to the position that they choose.

Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Selection of cells act like a SLOTH

In previous version of Microsoft, when we used to select multiple cells, it used to select instantly. But now in 2016 version it act like a SLOTH. It reacts slowly and that does bothers me because it always lags when we are really working fast. Pl make it feel like previous version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow color or transparency or contrast of scroll bar slider navigation tool to be changed

Can the color or transparency of scroll bar slider navigation tool be changed? Spreadsheets with many rows make the slider tool very small
    In OPTIONS, each of the three (silver, blue, or black) color schemes have same lack of contrast between the scroll area and slider to indicate location in spreadsheet

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Not having services in the background running from Office to waste my ram would be nice.

Not having services in the background running from Office to waste my ram would be nice. since its always needed to run in the background to run my software faster. which i dislike it running always in the background, even more when i am gaming and i want all my usage focused where it should be and not unwanted running services doing nothing but being spyware.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Find and Replace window bug

Double clicking the titlebar of the Find and Replace window in multi-monitor setups is buggy—sometimes the window disappears and can't be brought back without restarting Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Calculate Selection

If you go to "FORMULAS/Calculation Options/Manual". Once manual is selected, there are only two options for calculations
    1. Calculate Now: For all sheets in a spreadsheet
    2. Calculate Sheet: for a single Sheet

I suggest "Calculate Selection". This will be a smaller subset than "Calculate Sheet" that will only focus on the cells selected.

I work with very large files (~40MB+ if saved as xlsb) and very often I have to work on manual calculation mode to be able to handle the data. Once I am ready I use "Calculate Sheet" to speed the process, but speed is an issue…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Cancel button for accidental performance-hungry actions

Sometimes, due to haste, fat fingers or not thinking something through, I make a request in error.

For instance, I accidentally copy and paste the wrong thing or into the wrong place.

Often, this will be a perfomance-hungry action that I know will cause Excel to hang or crash.

Would be great to be able to hit a button to tell it to stop what it's doing and forget all about it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Indicator on file icon for files on sharepoint that are booked out. (Excel especially, for administrative maintanance.)

The idea is to see which files are locked by online users who are busy working on files (Excel specifically).
    This means that there should be an indicator on the file icon in the browser, that works the same as the sync feature (the animated circling arrows that shows a file is in the process of being uploaded/synced).
    This will make choosing a file for editing (maintanance) easier using Excel offline.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Filtering should not recalculate the filtered range

This also applies to row/column hiding/unhiding and unfiltering. Excel should recalculate only the formulas that use SUBTOTAL on the range whose cells' visibility is being changed.

This is a major performance issue when the filtered range has many dependents. The performance decrease is also unjustified when SUBTOTAL is not even used.

References:
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/why-does-excel-recalculate-when-i-make-a-different-filter-selectio.3685266/
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_winother/excel-wrongly-recalculating-when-changing-filter/9c79ed0f-74dd-45ce-964a-df5e6c2d1bc8

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Improve performance in "page break" view

I have no idea why viewing a workbook in "page break view" instead of "normal view" seems to run at half speed or less. I think this has something to do with the printer driver and having to render it, which I'm shocked hasn't gone away with how much faster computers have gotten.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ask before performing massive operation on Ctrl+Shft+arrow

We all use Ctrl+Shft+arrow when building out spreadsheets. We all, sometimes, make mistakes and Ctrl+Shft+down to row 1,048,576 and then execute, after which you usually need to force a shutdown.

Excel doesn't ask before performing this very large operation. I'm thinking of something like the dialog box that opens up saying "This operation will affect a large number of cells." That would save us all the once-a-month pain of a finger slip.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Selection shifting

I would like to be able to shift a multi-cell selection in any direction. For example, I might have A1:A10 selected and want to easily select B1:B10. Right now there is not easy key combination to do that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base