Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When copying tabs, somtimes we have to cycle through 100s of "Yes" or "No" to the "Name already exists warning" Can we add Yes to All option

This is a major productivity killer for power users such as finance teams, and current UX does not help exit this state efficiently.

173 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

24 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please Please Please Bring Back MDI. SDI simply doesn't support the types of applications I have spent my career developing in Excel

Please bring back MDI for Excel. SDI is really slow, and crashes when I run the apps I've developed over my career that rely on multiple workbooks loaded simultaneously. Or re release 2010 and just call it the version for the folks who rely on MDI and there are a lot of us!!!!!!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.

When you have one calculation-heavy workbook and distribute it to other people, it would be best if you could turn off calculation for only that workbook, without affecting the other workbooks these users are working on. It is confusing and outright dangerous in potential consequences that suddenly their workbooks do not calculate anymore. On the other hand, if the calculation is on, their whole excel freezes for a considerable amount of time every few keystrokes.

Suggestion: Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.
    There should be a popup when you open the…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When enabling the Filter, Excel jumps to the begaining of the Excel sheet

When we try to enable filter on Excel the excel jumping to the beginning of the sheet, Imagine I'm working on 130 Column raw data and when I try to enable the filter it return's me to the beginning of the sheet and I've to find where is the cell I was selecting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Why doesn't Office 2016 Excel have the ability to click to the beginning or end of tabs in a workbook? It sucks and its slow.

Why are the arrows to skip to the tab at the beginning or end of a workbook gone? You have to individual click the arrow or tab down and the program can't keep up if you do it too quickly. Overall slower than Microsoft 2010. Not a fan.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. night mode

night mode please so my eyes dont burn

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Improve speed of Tables with Filters

I have a long career history with Excel. That is what I work in all day everyday. Whether it be building an automated workbook, complex data connections using multiple workbooks and external data sources. I have a love hate relationship with Excel. I find anytime I use tables or just filters in general, add a few formulas (volatile or non-volatile) the workbook recalculates every time a filter is applied. Sometimes the workbook will freeze up and produce a white screen. Also, it can’t handle big data even with a power packed pc running 64bit on a 64bit Excel 2016 Pro…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Why not make Excel actually work reliably like it used to?

Excel charts has become rather un user friendly and reliable. I can't get it to repeat the same steps for 6 similar graphs with similar data.
    It has become very frustrating to use.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Show other than Ctrl and blank when Busy Calculating

Hi, When Excel is Busy Calculating (multiple processors) a heavy file, should display better feedback than attached screenshot.
    Understanding threads are all tied up (ha!) with multiple processors @ 100% but show somthing more confident to end user that Excel is busy crunching rather than Not Responding with CTRL buttons overlaid everywhere.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. bring back performance for calculations, filters and conditionnal formatting

Overall performance of calculations, conditionnal cell formatting and auto filters have suffered a lot in the last two versions of Excel.
    We use to put formulas everywhere. Now I must recommend users to use them with caution because it might freeze their Excel and changes will be lost if it crashes.
    Now I must make sure those formulas are taken care of by SQL queries so Excel does not have to bother about it. But that puts a lot of pressure on my team which we had not when formulas were running like lightning.
    Also, display of formatting with an…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Give us choice between "uncluttered" and "productive" appearance

Microsoft has made much of the "uncluttered" appearance of 365, ignoring that my previous version was not "cluttered," it was EVERYTHING AT MY FINGERTIPS. Now I have to click two or three times to get what used to require just one click...hundreds of times every day. It wastes time and irritates my carpal tunnel. I do understand some people need or prefer a simpler view. How about offering the option to the rest of us to have that "clutter" back?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. STOP BOBBLING THE ******* SCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN I SCROLL THE MOUSE. ********.

STOP BOBBLING THE ******* SCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN I SCROLL THE MOUSE. ********.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. wizard to clear many invisible texboxes and images or shapes slow down Excel

sometimes there are several small empty textboxes with no border line that look invisible to the user. now if the user selects the cells that are behind those texboxes and copies them to a large range the number of the invisible textboxes multipllies.

i saw a workbook containing 30,000 textboxes and it was very slow, and the user dod not know about them.

a wizard that identifies the problem and suggest clearing them would help users to fix this.

maybe something lile this:

Sub ErasePictures()

Dim P As Picture
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim picsN As Integer

picsN = ActiveSheet.Pictures.Count …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. When enabling the Filter, Excel jumps to the begaining of the Excel sheet

When we try to enable filter on Excel the excel jumping to the beginning of the sheet, Imagine I'm working on 130 Column raw data and when I try to enable the filter it return's me to the beginning of the sheet and I've to find where is the cell I was selecting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add save capability in Power Query

While working in Power Query the save option is not available and the autosave feature is disabled, thus we need to "close and load" the query, wait for the query to load and then we can save.
    When sometimes the application or computer crashes, we can lose hours of works.
    The possibility of saving the workbook while working in Power Query would be good

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. allow break [Ctrl-Break or similar] of long-running opeartions/calculations that lock Excel

Well-written VBA code may still (in some cases) take a long time to run, and (again, if well written) can be paused or stopped using Ctrl-break.

There are a multitude of ways users can intentionally or unintentionally trigger long-running, CPU intensive Excel (worksheet) operations, with no apparent recourse to pause or stop, either because the action was an accident (auto filling a complex formula across a very large data set), or the user has some other task that comes up and needs to take priority.

AFAIK, the only option is to either wait for Excel to finish the activity, or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I don't like this option in Excel let me explain clearly

I don't like this option in Excel let me explain clearly ,
    If I wrote a name of Same Initial Names first time it will take the name next time if I want to enter another name with same initial it will automatically take the what I gave for the first time What should I do, I have to press Tab and again have to go to the name cell have to press F2 and reenter the name how long process is this. I don't know the option to set this if yes please tell me or else correct it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. GIVE ME BACK MY OLD EXCEL, THE PROGRAM I HAVE KNOWN FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

GIVE ME BACK MY OLD EXCEL. NO RIBBONS, CLASSIC FORMATS AND TOOLBARS! OLD DOGS CAN LEARN NEW TRICKS, BUT THIS IS SILLY. FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGING THE WAY TO USE THIS PROGRAM, WHICH I HAVE KNOWN FOR OVER 20 YEARS, IS SILLY TO ME

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. mirror and/or change justification of a jagged array in VBA or a selected range

This might also fit in data import, formulas & functions, macros, as well as here - but they key reason for this suggestion is to improve performance, so I'm putting it here.

In some cases, raw or processed data results in a jagged array of data, which may start with any justification depending on the data source (top, left, right, bottom - see example below). To change the justification/orientation, it appears the only option is to iterate the array and move the data one piece at a time. When working with (in my current use case) thousands of rows and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base