Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When copying tabs, somtimes we have to cycle through 100s of "Yes" or "No" to the "Name already exists warning" Can we add Yes to All option

This is a major productivity killer for power users such as finance teams, and current UX does not help exit this state efficiently.

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

29 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! We have released a few fixes to Insiders to address this issue. If you are on Insiders, please let us know if the fix has worked for you.

The fixes should be in build 11809.10000 and onwards.

-Joe McDaid [Excel Team]

2. Excel Open file in multi instance by default

Hi We need to open a new instance of Excel by deflaut each time we open an excel file. The following solution are not suitable.

you can start a new Excel instance (process) by doing the following:
    run “Excel /x” (without quotes)
    or the DisableMergeInstance regkey because it works only when you open excel first and then open the file. It does not works double clicking on an excel file. Don't give one of those solution (https://excelgorilla.com/excel/general/open-multiple-instances-excel/) as we need it to be by default as Excel 2010 behavior.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make undo work per workbook, not for all of Excel. I am commonly working in two workbooks and need to undo something I did in the other work

Ctrl + Z should work per workbook, not for all of Excel. I commonly have two workbooks open and work in them simultaneously, but when I use the undo shortcut it backs out through all of excel, instead of just the active workbook.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please Please Please Bring Back MDI. SDI simply doesn't support the types of applications I have spent my career developing in Excel

Please bring back MDI for Excel. SDI is really slow, and crashes when I run the apps I've developed over my career that rely on multiple workbooks loaded simultaneously. Or re release 2010 and just call it the version for the folks who rely on MDI and there are a lot of us!!!!!!

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. night mode

night mode please so my eyes dont burn

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.

When you have one calculation-heavy workbook and distribute it to other people, it would be best if you could turn off calculation for only that workbook, without affecting the other workbooks these users are working on. It is confusing and outright dangerous in potential consequences that suddenly their workbooks do not calculate anymore. On the other hand, if the calculation is on, their whole excel freezes for a considerable amount of time every few keystrokes.

Suggestion: Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.
    There should be a popup when you open the…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add save capability in Power Query

While working in Power Query the save option is not available and the autosave feature is disabled, thus we need to "close and load" the query, wait for the query to load and then we can save.
    When sometimes the application or computer crashes, we can lose hours of works.
    The possibility of saving the workbook while working in Power Query would be good

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Excel Tab's option & Hung up Excel

Add Excel Tabs, what we use now days in the browsers. I think that will be very helpful to whoever works in the multiple excel files and try to move next excel with ALT+TAB. And unsaved data excel tab with highlight or asterisk sign, should be inbuilt.
    Secondly, When we run huge data calculate in one excel and another one want to do something else, from the current excel situation we can't do that, until the 1st excel finished calculation. There we waste out time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Low inventory Alert

Have Excel link to a message alert to let me know about low stock showing in a spreadsheet. Conditional Formatting works if you are looking for it, but what if the alert triggered a message, a note or an email to alert me to low stock?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Provide for Always on Top

Need a feature so you can open another app and work with Excel at the same time. Right now when I click on another app Excel goes away. I need to have both apps open at the same time and be able to work on both of them while I see both.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. When enabling the Filter, Excel jumps to the begaining of the Excel sheet

When we try to enable filter on Excel the excel jumping to the beginning of the sheet, Imagine I'm working on 130 Column raw data and when I try to enable the filter it return's me to the beginning of the sheet and I've to find where is the cell I was selecting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Custom view in Excel.

Custom view function in Excel works as expected. However, switching back to Normal view doesn't work. Attached is the recording of my concern.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Custom view in Excel

Custom view function in Excel works as expected. However, switching back to Normal view doesn't work. See the recording of my concern here.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Change the border color around the selected cell

I frequently use Ctrl+F shortcut to find data withing a huge spreadsheet on fast paced meeting calls. Often, the green border is not enough to differentiate the searched cell quickly, it gets lost in the field of view. Please, add a feature that changes the border color - or cell color when selected. Just make it easier to make it different so it can be found quickly. Thank you thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. office assistance

we really miss ms, office assisstance which was like a friend of all students in 90's. Why don't you again bring office assistance in msoffice. this was my fav. even if people dont use much ms.office, they will try ur msoffice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create Separate Excel Version Optimized for Power Query (ETL)

Create a "stripped" version of Excel or stand-alone version that is optimized for Power Query and focused on ETL tasks. This version would remove many traditional Excel features to free up resources, allow engine optimization, and expand current PQ capabilities.

Microsoft has a definite need of a high power data ETL tool and right now I am forced to use multiple Excel files to break up ETL tasks by having them reference the previous file in the chain (my company will not support other more expensive/specialized tools).

This finished file can then be used as a data source in regular…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Why doesn't Office 2016 Excel have the ability to click to the beginning or end of tabs in a workbook? It sucks and its slow.

Why are the arrows to skip to the tab at the beginning or end of a workbook gone? You have to individual click the arrow or tab down and the program can't keep up if you do it too quickly. Overall slower than Microsoft 2010. Not a fan.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)