Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

When viewing an Excel spreadsheet offline, without internet access, Excel is constantly using 13% CPU resources for no apparent reason. No action is being performed on the spreadsheet, but Excel appears to be constantly checking for internet access. Even after I close Excel, the Excel.exe remains running at 13% CPU in the background, and must be terminated manually in the task manager. There is no reason for Excel to be constantly utilizing these CPU resources.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make it work like it used to before the MS Store

My idea is that the program actually work and everytime I try to download an excel file, it not make reload the entire MS 365 program.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Improve speed of Undo on Filtered Data

When data is Filtered and some action is performed. After that we open the filter and then press Undo then it takes whole lot of time to undo the last action. I believe excel does undo line by line and when all lines are undone it shows filtered data again with old data. Instead it should first reverse the filter and then undo all cells. I think it will speed up processing.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix bug: slow cursor scrolling speed when sheet contains comments or drop down lists

On high DPI screens, the performance of Excel (in terms of user input lag) becomes terrible if you put a comment on a cell in a worksheet, or if you put a drop-down list in a work sheet.

One easy way to reproduce the bug on a high DPI screen:

1. set keyboard delay to minimum.
          2. set keyboard repeat spead to max.
          3. On an empty worksheet in excel 2016, start from row 1, and hold the down arrow key and time how long it takes to get to row 200 (should take about 7 seconds).
          4. Now go…

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Surface Pen draw by delay in Excel 2016 after the latest update of office 2016

Surface Pen draws lines and other things like that by delay in Excel 2016 after the latest update of office 2016

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide historical performance meter to determine negative performance impact of third-party add-in

Provide histogram of application performance to determine impact after installing third-party add-in's. I noticed a huge performance decrease after installing Adobe PDFMaker Add-in for Excel, which comes with Adobe Acrobat CC. I had two weeks of empirical evidence without any third-party applications installed on a Xenon 20 thread processor with 64 GB RAM. My Excel Model's performance was brought to its knees until after Iran the Microsoft FixLet to disable Adobe Plugin. Again, this is only empirical evidence, so it's possible it could be something else, but now Excel is back to normal, though Adobe still reminded me whether I…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• CONVERT TEXT TO VALUE.

In Large file with Lots of Formulas, if we give command to Covert Text To Value, Excel recalculates entire file after each text is converted to Value. Instead it should convert all text cells to number at once and then recalculate the file. In Large data it takes hours to convert to value and Excel crashes many times. I have to use formula to convert to value instead of built in option. Feel free to contact me if you need I would love to explain my point.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel 2016 : ClearContents is 3 times slower than Excel2010

My customers reported me that my product (Excel Addin) becomes slower after they updated Excel from 2010 to 2016.
                    By analyzing the problem it turned out that main reason of the slow performance is 'ClearContents'.
                    I setup two same hardware condition machine. I installed Win10 into them. Then I installed Excel 2010 on the machine A.
                    And I installed Excel 2016 on the machine B.
                    By using the following code, I measured the time to ClearContens.

It takes 2859 ms on Excel2010 (A) . It takes 9719 ms on Excel2016 (B).

Generally thinking , a customer will expect faser performance…

19 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Clear Clipboard

When you copy in excel and then past the data you have to now do an additional step in clearing the clipboard. Yes I know that you can use the esc key to do this, but it's very inconvenient when you are working with a lot of data. This extra step slows down production and allows for error of pasting data into areas or other programs/files that it wasn't intended. Please fix these clipboard issues. They are not an improvement.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• In my lifetime package version, eye protection in not working ??

my purchased version is not working properly

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix window drag lag due to high mouse polling rate

With high-end mice, having a higher poll rates greater than 200Hz will produce a lag - not fluid - while dragging the window

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Perfmon

Make excel better, It would be nice to know exactly what the requirements are when you are sorting a document that has 100000 + rows. like a build in Perfmon that could tell you in a verbose way, what is taking excel so long to calculate a form.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Paste preview can freeze Excel

When a copied cell is on the clipboard, the right click menu shows all the different paste options (as values, formulas, etc.). Hovering the mouse over one of the options will display a preview, in location, of what that pasting would look like. When a large selection is on the clipboard, the preview does not show. Presumably there is a cut-off on the size of the preview that is allowed to be shown. However, if I enter the right click menu while I have an entire row selected (i.e. clicking on the row number to select the entire width of…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Remove "Translate" from Excel

Remove "Translate" from Excel, you are ruining keyboard shortcuts. I do not need help translating "2" to "2" -- at least make this an option.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Stop the "Dancing Ants" (cell highlighting) right after pasting a copied cell.

Excel: Please add an option in the Home/Clipboard/Options menu to disable the annoying "dancing ants" around the most recent copied item. In Office 2010 this "highlighting" feature used to stop when working on a new cell, but the information was still available in the clipboard. The current version is just plain visually annoying (sorry). Thank you.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• FIX IT!

Needs a warning before it becomes unresponsive. What good are all the new features if we can't use them? Go back to old style of conditional formatting. XLS version was easy to use and quite reliable. The XLXS version is terrible AND UNRELIABLE! Sharing files with multiple users using it on different computers with windows 7.8 or 10 and excel versions of excel 2010 or 2016 causes all kinds of problems. Try using this as it is.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ensure "Protect Workbook" Security is Unhackable : Microsoft Excel

Hi,
                                        Excel is still easy to unlock with googleable methods. Could Microsoft kindly ensure that their products are not so easily hackable? Thank you.

Method 1. Unlock/unprotect Excel file and software

Step 1. Create a new folder and drag password-protected excel into the folder;
                                        Step 2. Open the folder and go to Organize > Click Folder and search options;
                                        Step 3. Tab View and scroll down to uncheck Hide extensions for known file types > Click Apply;
                                        Step 4. Now the Excel extension is .xlsx and change it to .zip > Click Yes when it asks if you want to…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Offer an update path for security only

It would be nice for us to have a security update-only path for Office 365 updates. We are not power users and have never used a single new "feature" since we enrolled in 2013. We have update issues with Office and have had a lot more problems with it over time - something we did not have with Office 2007 ever. I have to think part of this is Windows atrocious updates mixed with Office getting feature creep.

Since we don't use any of these features - such as the new Excel features rolling out that make Excel "smarter" by…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base