Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Money for excel. I need my expenses to be reported from January 1, 2020. I am using this for tax purposes

I need all my information with Excel Moneyto give me expenss back to January 1, 2020, not 3 months back from current date. This program is useless without having my expenses for the whole year. I am using this program for tax purposes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about using Money in Excel. Currently, Money in Excel template supports transactions back dated up-to 90 days from the day you first connect your account. We agree that importing transactions for the whole year would be a great feature, hence we will share this feedback to our apt team for review.

Regards,

Vipin Nair
    The Microsoft Team

2. Add a Reporting Ribbon to Excel to consolidate and highlight the amazing capabilities of Power Query and Power Pivot

Tables, Power Query, Power Pivot and Pivot Tables are amazing tools that will transform the way people build their reports, but only once they know about them!

Let's SHOUT about how good these things are and how well they work together by putting them onto a single new Ribbon called "Reporting" - something like the attached image.

304 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting and voting for this idea, but unfortunately we won’t be implementing it. Excel is a tool for a wide set of audience and while this may help to some, it may defintely confuse others. As a workaround, I suggest to use the Customize Ribbon option and add a new tab with you desired set of tools and commands.

Guy Hunkin
    Program Manager, Excel Team

3. Stock data type, Expense Ratio column

First of all, love the new Stock data type and can see this new feature getting better and better as time goes on.

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that the Expense Ratio column seems to be locked at 2 decimal places. ***.XX% for example. Checking one particular index fund from Vanguard (VINIX), they have the expense ratio listed for this fund as 0.035% but the Excel column brings it in at 0.040%.

It looks like their is either some rounding issue going on or the data source Excel is basing this off of has it saved…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting! I’m seeing that this is actually a bug in the data source and doesn’t have to do with a limit on the precision in the expense ratio field.

You can verify yourself that the incorrect data is replicated on Morningstar here: https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vinix/quote.html

Since this isn’t a feature request, I’m going to close this request as “declined”, and we will follow up with Morningstar about getting this fixed. For future reference you can report issues like this through the Excel “Send a smile” button in the top right of your Excel window.

4. Manage SQL Server table content

I wish there was a simple way to manage data in an SQL Server table using Excel. We can read the data with current tools, but I hope we could also insert and update data using Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is an interesting idea, but one that we’re not going to integrate into the Excel product. Excel is really about connecting to, cleaning, and analyzing your data – it’s not about schema management or SQL Server management.

A better tool to do that management is Access, or the free Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base