Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need Excell direct link with ERP Database

Need Excell direct link with ERP Database ,so we can get access to accounting balance on excel directly without need to export report on exc

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. metadata

I would love to see the Get Data from Folder allow me to get metadata from the files in the folder. Such as metadata from Audio(MP3), Photo(Jpg) or Video(MP4, MKV), etc. This method currently gets me the File Name and Size but that is about it useful.

This would allow a user a method to create a list of all their files with data that's useful and important and keep it up to date with a click.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Give me function like importrange or let me can use data from other excel online page

Hope can add function like google excel's "importrange" or like Excel offline's External reference that I can use data from other excel online page and vlook up

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093340?hl=zh-Hant

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. In einer neueren Version von Excel möchte ich den dynamischen Datenaustausch (Dynamic Data Exchange, DDE) in Kombination mit dem Seriendruck

In einer neueren Version von Excel möchte ich den dynamischen Datenaustausch (Dynamic Data Exchange, DDE) in Kombination mit dem Seriendruck-Assistent mit Schritt-für-Schritt-Anweisungen in Word verwenden. DDE soll wieder von Excel unterstützt werden. Ich möchte, dass dieses Feature (DDE) bei der nächsten Version von Excel berücksichtigt wird,

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. User can sequence the query for Refresh

I'm importing data in 3 different tables and using that table data, I've created Pivot Tables. When I click on "Refresh All" its refresh pivot tables first and import fresh data later. This result in to Pivot table showing same data instead of updated table data as they are refreshing before query import data from external sources. Because of this sequence of refresh I've to click again on "Refresh All" button to update Pivot data. If user can manage the sequence of refreshing Tables & data (First let query import all data & later Pivot Table refresh data) so that…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Get Data from table without Totals

I have a table with a summary, when I get/import this table in other Excel file, it imports summary as data, that is wrong. Please correct that issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. turn off automatic date conversion

Opening scientific data in excel for review or analysis purposes is a nightmare in Excel. Some values, gene names and other text automatically transforms into dates and then the data is corrupted. Changing cell format in this case corrupts the data even further and there's no way to return to the original value/text, since the data corrupts when opening the file. This is the worst functionality in Excel and I don't know anyone who benefits from the automatic transformation of dates. Please the date transformation optional setting for those who might need it!

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add short month name and short day name in Power Query

In Power Query, you can convert a date in year, month, day, first day of the month, day of the week, .... You can also convert a date in month name or in day name.

But there is no option to convert a date with the short name (Jan, Feb, Mar, ...) and the same for the day (Mon, Tue, Wed, ...)

Is it possible to add these options on the ribbon?

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow Excel Data / Get Data / From File to work with Onedrive cloud files so that users can share the one data table as a central database

It took us three months for Microsoft support to understand this simple request and conclude it is a "functional limitation" with current Excel and the linking of data only works on local c-drive, not over a shared onedrive folder between colleagues - sigh.

Here is the summary of steps:

1. Open an Excel file.

2. Click on Data.

3. Click on get Data.

4. Select from File.

5. Select From Workbook.

6. Imports an Excel workbook which has table inside it and load it to this file.

7. Once done, upload it to OneDrive from where this files gets to be shared.

8. Go to Shared tab for…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. EXCEL DDE

Resulta muy importante mantener el uso de DDE en Excel. Para poder utilizar combinacion de correspondencia con Word.
    El tipo de combinacion DDE se encuentra presente en Excel desde sus origenes. Es el unico tipo de combinacion que mantiene los formatos de numero tal como se reflejan en el Excel para su combinacion en un formulario de Word.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable autosave when inserting objects to workbook

I inserted objects by clicking Insert> Object> Create from File> Browse...> Choose a file such as Word document, PNG/JPEG image, PowerPoint document, Excel document, iqy file, PDF file and some other kinds of documents> OK> Save the file to OneDrive.
    All the results are that the error message appears, so if users insert objects (not only PDF files) in Excel workbook and save it to OneDrive, the autosave will be disable. So I would like to request autosave should be work when I insert object.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Stock Data Type can't find mutual fund

The stock data type should recognize all stocks and mutual funds. The capability indicates it is powered by Bing; Bing recognizes the ticker symbol. Specifically, the mutual fund 'FSHCX' - 'Fidelity Select Health Care Services Portfolio' was not recognized in my first experiencing trying the feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve Queries and Connections Task Pane

Having used the newfangled Queries and Connections pane for some time now I find it is time to add some suggestions

My issues:

1. The pane does not remember its size
      It opens really narrow on my system, displaying only a (very) small part of the connection and query names so my first action every friggin time is to drag it wider.

2. No multi select
      in the old connections window you can control or shift-click multiple connections to delete them. For maintenance this is a very useful feature I miss regularly.

3. It isn't application-centric
      If I open a new workbook with…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Data Types.

Excel Data Types.
    Thank you, I really appreciate the Stocks Data Types.
    My only suggestion would be to include notes and debentures and/or a more detailed search. I was unable to find certain stock from the TSX and London.
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to Convert from PDF to Spreadsheet

As a student, there are so many files that I get in PDF format that I need to find information in and excel is the best way to do it! As an example, for an assignment recently I had to find different phone numbers and there were 17 pages! Additionally, it would also be handy to managers ect who get forms in PDF format to be able to convert them to excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please optimise Power Query UI perfomance

1. Guys, why you call every previous step for every next step in Power Query, while refreshing this query preview? I.e. if I am at Get&Transform UI and click "Refresh Preview" on a Query where I have 3 steps, PQ calls step one 3 times, and step two 2 times. But if you call step one, you can use the results of the call for the next step AND for showing its result in the UI as well. Why you call previous steps so much??

2. Moreover, you inevitably call all the Queries, used in the refreshing query from p.1. So in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Power Query - Add option to retain all cells (nulls and errors) when using Unpivot Other Columns

Using Power Query to Unpivot other columns is an amazing feature but it automatically removes nulls and errors.

Add a drop down down (maybe an advanced option) to Unpivot Other to allow the keeping of all items

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow interaction with Excel while in Power Query

Please make the Power Query editor window (Get Data) non-model. When building complex queries, we often need to go back to Excel to change a worksheet and look at data. Right now, the Power Query editor window takes control over the application, preventing interaction with Excel.

The current behaviour makes it very difficult to do things like the following:
    -Mid query, go back and check a worksheet to see exactly what a cell value may be that you want to refer to
    -When we have a static table in Excel and are trying to build a query that lands an…

253 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Suppress Native Database Query Prompts

Excel security options in Power Query to suppress the Native Database Query prompts when refreshing the data connections are lost when another user opens the workbook.

Trying to roll Excel workbooks that use Power Query within organisations is problematic as there appears to be no way currently to disable these prompts for the end users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base