Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Queries and Connections Task Pane

Having used the newfangled Queries and Connections pane for some time now I find it is time to add some suggestions

My issues:

1. The pane does not remember its size
    It opens really narrow on my system, displaying only a (very) small part of the connection and query names so my first action every friggin time is to drag it wider.

2. No multi select
    in the old connections window you can control or shift-click multiple connections to delete them. For maintenance this is a very useful feature I miss regularly.

3. It isn't application-centric
    If I open a…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give me function like importrange or let me can use data from other excel online page

Hope can add function like google excel's "importrange" or like Excel offline's External reference that I can use data from other excel online page and vlook up

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093340?hl=zh-Hant

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Excel Data / Get Data / From File to work with Onedrive cloud files so that users can share the one data table as a central database

It took us three months for Microsoft support to understand this simple request and conclude it is a "functional limitation" with current Excel and the linking of data only works on local c-drive, not over a shared onedrive folder between colleagues - sigh.

Here is the summary of steps:

1. Open an Excel file.
    2. Click on Data.
    3. Click on get Data.
    4. Select from File.
    5. Select From Workbook.
    6. Imports an Excel workbook which has table inside it and load it to this file.
    7. Once done, upload it to OneDrive from where this files gets to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please optimise Power Query UI perfomance

1. Guys, why you call every previous step for every next step in Power Query, while refreshing this query preview? I.e. if I am at Get&Transform UI and click "Refresh Preview" on a Query where I have 3 steps, PQ calls step one 3 times, and step two 2 times. But if you call step one, you can use the results of the call for the next step AND for showing its result in the UI as well. Why you call previous steps so much??

2. Moreover, you inevitably call all the Queries, used in the refreshing query from p.1.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Recover exchange server edb file data

Recover exchange server edb file data through the help of sifo systems edb to pst software .This edb recovery software genuinely restore exchange server edb file and as well as make its recovery from viruses ,etc .
    It has nice working support with all version of exchange edb file that are edb 2016,edb 2013,edb 2010,etc .

Go for free download of software ,click here :- https://readthedocs.org/projects/sifo-systems-exchange-server-recovery-software-to-recover-exchange-edb-file/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Maintain the speed of operations for Excel when a range of data is linked from Excel into Word

I find that when a range of data is linked (copy from Excel and then right-click in Word to link and keep source formatting), the operating speed of Excel decreases SIGNIFICANTLY!!! as the links to Word increase by quantity (many) and complexity (greater range of data) when both the linked Word doc and Excel worksheet are open, even though the use of computer memory is less than 30%. this seems to be a limiting capacity of the Excel and Word program rather than a limiting capacity of the computer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Automated Copy-Paste between worksheets.

Sheet1 has a table of values that I want Excel to put into Sheet2 based on certain criteria automatically. As in, if ColumnB on Sheet1 reads "Yes", then ColumnA of that row gets added to Sheet2. (i.e. "=IF(Sheet1!B:B="Yes",Sheet1!A:A,""). Thus creating an auto-populating Table in Sheet2 without using a macro.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Relative paths within OneDrive (links work regardless of PC or Excel Online)

Relative paths within OneDrive - my documents folder is stored in OneDrive on my PC, so all items are synced. If I have a spreadsheet with external links, then it should work in Excel Online just like in Excel 365 on Windows.

Ideally, DSN connections (e.g. MySQL db files), refresh of Power Query when opening in Excel Online etc would also work regardless of platform, but I realise that is tougher

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Advanced business analytics features - Office 365 Business Premium

I think the ‘Advanced business analytics features’ should be also available for Office 365 Business Premium subscribers. I do not understand why this comes as a difference between ProPlus & Business users. Business Premium users are widely using SharePoint and incapability of importing data from it for them does not make sense to me. The difference in size of company you work for should not mean you are stuck with less privileged product.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. EASIER ACCESS TO INSERT A EADER TO NAME THE SPREADSHEET

There should be an easier way to name your Spreadsheet as a Header:Example: Insert name for Header.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add 2-way relations in Power Pivot

In general, it would be good to have one version of SSAS in both Power BI and Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please turn off autofill of Parameters of PQ of date type

Entering dates in Parameter of date type is very inconvenient. It is almost impossible to change it, and if you enter a date from scratch, you'll have troubles with year part of a date.

All this is due to autofill function. Please turn if off, or let user do it in Query Options

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Keep relation between a Query and a Function, created from the Query, when copy both

If you created a Function from a Query, if you change the Query, the Function is changed as well.

If you copy both of them to another workbook, this "relation" is broken.

Please keep relation between a Query and a Function, created from the Query, when copy both.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Power Query - Add option to retain all cells (nulls and errors) when using Unpivot Other Columns

Using Power Query to Unpivot other columns is an amazing feature but it automatically removes nulls and errors.

Add a drop down down (maybe an advanced option) to Unpivot Other to allow the keeping of all items

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to Convert from PDF to Spreadsheet

As a student, there are so many files that I get in PDF format that I need to find information in and excel is the best way to do it! As an example, for an assignment recently I had to find different phone numbers and there were 17 pages! Additionally, it would also be handy to managers ect who get forms in PDF format to be able to convert them to excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Open Unicode csv Files easier

Please recognize when a csv File is in Unicode and then load it properly when opening it. Right now it's a huge hassel to open unicode

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Open Unicode csv Files easier

Please recognize when a csv File is in Unicode and then load it properly when opening it. Right now it's a huge hassel to open unicode

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Mutual fund price date

Mutual funds are priced once a day. The date associated with the price would be more important that the date and time of the update. The date of the price is available on Morningstar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Power Query Auto Connect

When I create a connection with another csv, txt or xlsx file, but for any reason I changed the location, it's brings an error.

It would be great to Power Query have the capability to automatically connect with the same folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable autosave when inserting objects to workbook

I inserted objects by clicking Insert> Object> Create from File> Browse...> Choose a file such as Word document, PNG/JPEG image, PowerPoint document, Excel document, iqy file, PDF file and some other kinds of documents> OK> Save the file to OneDrive.
    All the results are that the error message appears, so if users insert objects (not only PDF files) in Excel workbook and save it to OneDrive, the autosave will be disable. So I would like to request autosave should be work when I insert object.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base