Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Single method for external workbook reference

Right now there are basically two ways to pull data into a target workbook from a source workbook:
    - Query it as a data connection (in which case you have to close the source workbook every time you want to refresh the data)
    - Use an external link in a cell formula (in which case the source workbook has to be open if you want to get up to date data)

This is harder than it needs to be. Regardless of the method of pulling in external data you should be able to refresh it regardless of the status of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. turn off automatic date conversion

Opening scientific data in excel for review or analysis purposes is a nightmare in Excel. Some values, gene names and other text automatically transforms into dates and then the data is corrupted. Changing cell format in this case corrupts the data even further and there's no way to return to the original value/text, since the data corrupts when opening the file. This is the worst functionality in Excel and I don't know anyone who benefits from the automatic transformation of dates. Please the date transformation optional setting for those who might need it!

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Excel Data / Get Data / From File to work with Onedrive cloud files so that users can share the one data table as a central database

It took us three months for Microsoft support to understand this simple request and conclude it is a "functional limitation" with current Excel and the linking of data only works on local c-drive, not over a shared onedrive folder between colleagues - sigh.

Here is the summary of steps:

1. Open an Excel file.
    2. Click on Data.
    3. Click on get Data.
    4. Select from File.
    5. Select From Workbook.
    6. Imports an Excel workbook which has table inside it and load it to this file.
    7. Once done, upload it to OneDrive from where this files gets to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please merge Type Change steps in PQ even if the current step has locale

I mean the situation when end user is on the step where changing types of columns happen, and the step contains locale (which, by the way, is added sometimes automatically) AND user change some types of columns. PQ now adds a new step without possibility to change the current step.
    I think it is much more convenient for end user to show the locale of the current step and as whether user wants to change current step or add a new.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. EXCEL DDE

Resulta muy importante mantener el uso de DDE en Excel. Para poder utilizar combinacion de correspondencia con Word.
    El tipo de combinacion DDE se encuentra presente en Excel desde sus origenes. Es el unico tipo de combinacion que mantiene los formatos de numero tal como se reflejan en el Excel para su combinacion en un formulario de Word.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Table.ExpandTableColumn is not type - safe.

I.e. if you expand a column, types of inner table are lost - all the expanded columns, appeared in the outer table after expantion, are of type any, despite the fact that all the types are set in inner table.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Stock Data Type can't find mutual fund

The stock data type should recognize all stocks and mutual funds. The capability indicates it is powered by Bing; Bing recognizes the ticker symbol. Specifically, the mutual fund 'FSHCX' - 'Fidelity Select Health Care Services Portfolio' was not recognized in my first experiencing trying the feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Convert tables in image to excel worksheet

Convert tables in image to excel worksheet like the function implemented in Excel mobile app for Android.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. При импорте текстовых данных (CSV) Добавить в настройку определения числовых данных пункт "Кроме значений, обрамленных ограничителем строк"

Предлагаю добавить в настройку определения числовых данных пункт "Кроме значений, обрамленных ограничителем строк".

В этом случае можно будет, выгружая данные из учетной системы в файл CSV, текстовые данные заключать в кавычки и они не будут искажаться при импорте в excel, даже если тип столбца установлен "general" (общий).

Делать это по умолчанию, без выноса в настройку импорта чисел, не следует.

У других пользователей может встретиться исторически сложившийся вариант, где в импортируемых CSV все данные, включая числа, заключаются в кавычки.

Также возможны CSV файлы, где разделитель полей и разделитель целой и дробной части чисел одинаковы.

В этом случае у пользователей тоже поломается…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Scraping made simple!

hi
    I would love to use Excel for day to day scraping but currently it's way too complex.
    Both VBA and Power BI are not user friendly and you have to be advanced in Excel to use it.
    It's frustrating and it forces you to use google search for solving problems.
    I would like Excel to open browser window and allow me to select which exact part of the site I want to scrape (EVEN IF IT'S NOT A TABLE) then menu should open to select corresponding cell and frequency at which I would like to do it. Then format,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. User can sequence the query for Refresh

I'm importing data in 3 different tables and using that table data, I've created Pivot Tables. When I click on "Refresh All" its refresh pivot tables first and import fresh data later. This result in to Pivot table showing same data instead of updated table data as they are refreshing before query import data from external sources. Because of this sequence of refresh I've to click again on "Refresh All" button to update Pivot data. If user can manage the sequence of refreshing Tables & data (First let query import all data & later Pivot Table refresh data) so that…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Recover exchange server edb file data

Recover exchange server edb file data through the help of sifo systems edb to pst software .This edb recovery software genuinely restore exchange server edb file and as well as make its recovery from viruses ,etc .
    It has nice working support with all version of exchange edb file that are edb 2016,edb 2013,edb 2010,etc .

Go for free download of software ,click here :- https://readthedocs.org/projects/sifo-systems-exchange-server-recovery-software-to-recover-exchange-edb-file/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to Convert from PDF to Spreadsheet

As a student, there are so many files that I get in PDF format that I need to find information in and excel is the best way to do it! As an example, for an assignment recently I had to find different phone numbers and there were 17 pages! Additionally, it would also be handy to managers ect who get forms in PDF format to be able to convert them to excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve Queries and Connections Task Pane

Having used the newfangled Queries and Connections pane for some time now I find it is time to add some suggestions

My issues:

1. The pane does not remember its size
    It opens really narrow on my system, displaying only a (very) small part of the connection and query names so my first action every friggin time is to drag it wider.

2. No multi select
    in the old connections window you can control or shift-click multiple connections to delete them. For maintenance this is a very useful feature I miss regularly.

3. It isn't application-centric
    If I open a…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please optimise Power Query UI perfomance

1. Guys, why you call every previous step for every next step in Power Query, while refreshing this query preview? I.e. if I am at Get&Transform UI and click "Refresh Preview" on a Query where I have 3 steps, PQ calls step one 3 times, and step two 2 times. But if you call step one, you can use the results of the call for the next step AND for showing its result in the UI as well. Why you call previous steps so much??

2. Moreover, you inevitably call all the Queries, used in the refreshing query from p.1.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Maintain the speed of operations for Excel when a range of data is linked from Excel into Word

I find that when a range of data is linked (copy from Excel and then right-click in Word to link and keep source formatting), the operating speed of Excel decreases SIGNIFICANTLY!!! as the links to Word increase by quantity (many) and complexity (greater range of data) when both the linked Word doc and Excel worksheet are open, even though the use of computer memory is less than 30%. this seems to be a limiting capacity of the Excel and Word program rather than a limiting capacity of the computer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Automated Copy-Paste between worksheets.

Sheet1 has a table of values that I want Excel to put into Sheet2 based on certain criteria automatically. As in, if ColumnB on Sheet1 reads "Yes", then ColumnA of that row gets added to Sheet2. (i.e. "=IF(Sheet1!B:B="Yes",Sheet1!A:A,""). Thus creating an auto-populating Table in Sheet2 without using a macro.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Relative paths within OneDrive (links work regardless of PC or Excel Online)

Relative paths within OneDrive - my documents folder is stored in OneDrive on my PC, so all items are synced. If I have a spreadsheet with external links, then it should work in Excel Online just like in Excel 365 on Windows.

Ideally, DSN connections (e.g. MySQL db files), refresh of Power Query when opening in Excel Online etc would also work regardless of platform, but I realise that is tougher

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base