Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the Query Pane appear when clicking in a Table created by Power Query

It would be consistent with the Pivot Table experience if, when you click on a Table created by Power Query, the Query Pane expands down the right hand side. And give a right click option inside the table to show/hide query pane. It would be much more discover-able than the extra Ribbon Query Tools menu that appears.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Official currency conversion

Include "official" currency conversion, in a fix date, or updated at X interval.

That's used for many things. I usually have list of salaries in business plans, in different currencies. USD; EUR, CNY, etc. It would be amazing to have a function to get the "pair quote", something like:

rate_output = fx("EUR"; "USD"; date)

And then the user can put today() instead of the date argument.

Thx

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. AI for PQ query analysis and improving

AI for assessing the quality of the query and suggestions for its optimization before executing the query on a full set of data.
    Power Query is positioned as a tool that is available to non-professionals. However, this tool in the hands of not qualitatively prepared users can lead to major business mistakes.

During the development of the request, we make mistakes and inaccuracies, due to which:
    - Unused requests can be superfluous;
    - Steps can be superfluous (sorting, type conversion, adding steps that are not used in the future, etc.);
    - Separate data may be superfluous and stored throughout the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Power Query to manipulate webpage before collecting data

I want to import data from a webpage that does not itself update any information. This means that in order to get useful data out I have to manually enter a search string (text) on the webpage and also select a single filter option from a drop down menu. If I do this beforehand and then enter the resulting 'persistent' web address into excel the data in the resulting table never changes - because it refers to a 'persistent' search result that is frozen in time.

I want to be able to have Excel perform these manual operations for me.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Turn off conversion of alpha numeric values that begin with number and include an E

We use alpha numeric codes for classifying data and are finding that when we export the data to a spreadsheet, if the codes begin with number the sheet assumes that the code column is a number and formats as such. The problem arises when one of the characters in any of the codes after the leading numeric is an "E". Excel assumes that the value is in exponential notation and converts a value such as 5E02 to 500 and 5E03 to 5000 and so on. These are codes, not numbers but there does not appear to be a way to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Salesforce permissions in power query for multiple organizations/environments

When using Power Query to access objects in Salesforce, the only login choices that are saved are for Production or Sandbox.
    Salesforce uses the user ID to determine which Production Organization or Sandbox we're accessing. Because we do work for multiple organizations, it would be useful to have the connection information stored with the workbook instead of centrally with Excel. Having to clear the permissions every time I switch a spreadsheet I'm working with is frustrating.
    Thanks! (Couldn't live without Power Query!)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Power Query - Connect to One Drive personal

Allow Power Query to connect to a CSV/txt/Excel/Access File stored on one Drive personal

Currently the only way to do this is via a URL hack - Please support this formally

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support for relative path reference when using local queries

When indicating the path for a query/data input, allow the user to put a path that is relative to the folder file (i.e. same folder, something like ./QueryFile.xls or ./SecondFolder/QueryFile.xls). It's a pain ********** to update all queries locations when opening a model with different computers (like when we use networks or onedrive)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Return to 2013

I used to be able to link the values of cells in one workbook with the cell in another workbook simply by typing = in the cell of the receiving workbook sheet and double click on the sorce cellk in the source workbook. Now it no longer works why

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Copy from excel and paste in ms access table (in bulk) problem

Respected Sir.
    I have an excel sheet in which there are near about 7000 entries of long text. When I copy and paste into MS Access Database columns (at once) it does not paste all Data in rows. It missed Data after 255 words.

I have also tried to paste only 60/70 rows of long text (300-500 words) but it does paste whole data. Its only paste 255 words in per row

Let me know, how to increase the data size of per row.

Note: I have already selected the rows setting in MS Access as Long Text and also…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. With autosave inplace, how can we continue to retrieve files if we lose the internet again? Hurricane Irma in point.

We lost our electricity (backup generator) and access to the internet during hurricane Irma (Florida). How can we insure we can continue to retrieve needed files with autosave turned on?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Simplify Command Keys in Using Data,Get Data,Launch Query Editor

In Excel 2016, Data, Get Data, Launch Query Editor, the commands are given in the normal way such as Alt+A,R for Refresh All, but are all numbered as Y01,Y02,Y03,Y04 for the top level and then Y01,Y02,Y03 up to Y31. This makes it very cumbersome to work with.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow equal key column names in Table.Join (Power Query)

In Table.Join function we can use same key column names for JoinKind.Inner option, but need to use different column names for other join types, like Left Outer, Right Outer etc. This limitation demand to add excessive steps for renaming duplicate columns before join and removing them after join.
    As Table.Join is much faster and effective than Table.NestedJoin in complex preparation, this seems to be unnecessary and dilatory limitation and should be removed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bring Back Oracle Data Connection

I need the Oracle SQL Connection, I use it every day. This version of Excel suddenly it is gone! Why?!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Restore formula interpretation when using "Get & Transform" wizard

We work with a system that spits out delimited text-files. These files are imported in an Excel template. Some columns in the delimited text-file contain Excel formulas. The good-old “Text Import Wizard” has a “default” type for columns. When using this type, Excel will nicely interpret the formulas. As far as I can see, this is not possible with the new “Get & Transform” wizard.

I know that the old wizard can be reactivated trough “File” –> “Options” –> “Data” –> “From text (legacy)” but hope Microsoft will restore the old behaviour in the new wizard before removing the old…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Update the text to columns window

The text to columns window could use a update something like the query editor but without connections that duplicate the data.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Power Query: Create "switch to advanced editor" in Conditional Column

In the Conditional Column UI, add a way to switch to the standard Custom Column UI for advanced conditions that aren't possible via the basic Condition Column UI.

Currently, if you create a basic if statement when creating column using the "custom column" and then go back to edit it, the "Conditional Column" UI pops up.

I regularly need to add complexity to the column (for example extracting out a length or year when creating a new statement) - and there isn't a way to do so without editing in the formula bar or recreating the column from scratch.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. your excel 2016 cannot download date from web Yahoo finance portfolio

your excel 2016 cannot download date from web Yahoo finance portfolio

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Text- und Excel-Dateien

Text (auch CSV)- und Excel-Dateien sollten wieder in eine Word-Datei importiert werden können und zwar so das der Nutzer Spaltenzeichen, Zeilenumbruch und Tabs wieder definieren bzw. bearbeiten kann.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base