Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a PowerQuery Folder function wizard

PowerQuery would be great if it was provided with the capability (current capability fixed) to import bulk XML and excel files. Currently excel is achievable with workarounds of creating a function for the folder function(why?) as in this post http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/02/25/combine-multiple-excel-workbooks-in-power-query/ however it becomes even more obtuse (though) it shouldn't if you have an xml file representing more than 1 table.

Pressing import from Folder should expect that you are doing just that and ask what file type, then load the first file to edit as desired and then execute against all files in folder.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Excel to import tcx files.

tcx files (garmin originally) are widespread in the fitness industry. It would be very useful if excel could import this file format.

With fitness bands and watches like fitbit and apple watch this area will get bigger and it would be great if Microsoft Excel was ahead of the curve and allowed import of tcx files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Create Powershell Cmdlets for getting data from worksheets

Importing Excel data into SQLServer or other platforms that accept csv is a common task. The problem is the tools at hand right now like SSIS, COM, oledb, or parsing the XML, are really bad.

It would be nice to have an officially supported set of Cmdlets for dealing with Excel data that could be used interactively for testing, and then put into automated scripts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fully support comma/quote text file exports in Excel and Access.

Fully support correctly formatted comma/quote text file exports in Excel and Access. These import OK but the quoted text is lost in the export file!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add support for SQLite databases as a data source in Excel

SQLite, an open-source relational database and one of the most widely deployed and used database engines.(https://www.sqlite.org/mostdeployed.html).

It would be really useful to be able to query sqlite databases directly in excel. Either to just view data or for further analysis using powerpivot.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow me to merge several cells of text

I import lots of data into excel but I spend even more time formatting it once I get pulled into Excel. Can you add a merge feature to merge numerous cells? I know I can merge cells next to each other but cells above and below I can't.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Data import to a table - add automatically new rows

When importing data from into a table (from CSV file) there should be an option to add new rows automatically after the last one (as with MS Access).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Change the default method for data pasted from Access so that text isn't formatted to wrap.

Text in data pasted from Access always formats as wrapped. Make the default to be not wrapped, or provide an option to specify whether the text should be wrapped or not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Paste function uses previous "text-to-column" settings without notice

The past function seems to use the same settings as those last used in the "text-to-columns" feature. The user has to figure this out retroactively though, and it can be incredibly confusing. For example, if a "." delimiter was previously used then any future pasting will split all numbers at the decimal. Often time will have elapsed since the last use of this and the user doesn't realize why the paste feature seems to suddenly be acting strange.

I'd suggest either removing this, having there be a point at which the paste function resets to defaults rather than persisting in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix the Web Query Error

When I do the web query import. I keep getting this error. I can click past it but can you clean this up?

An error has occurred in the script on this page

Line 2
    Char 2120
    Error Unspecified
    Code 0
    URL

Do you want to continue?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Older Models of PowerPivot to be upgraded

There are lot of sample files of PowerPivot on the web but when I try to open them they won't upgrade. Can you try to make powerpivot backwards compatible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Better support for images and attachments

I was using PowerBI and I imported various spreadsheets but I learned the hard way the limits of the spreadsheet. I need to be able to attach images and files inside of spreadsheets. Also, I would like to get access to the extended files in PowerPivot when using PowerBI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Feasibility to query Google Calendar to Excel

Many times, I have to see my calendar to calculate hours that I spent for meetings. It is kind of monotonous work that a professional has to spend specially in "productivity" calculation. If Excel can built a query in Power Query tool or import from data sources which gives an option to export data from Google Calendar or any other calendar and we can built other formulas to calculate productivity efficiently.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. creating Layout of directory in excelsheet directly from your local hard drive

if it was possible that just with one click, we can create a Tree Grid Map of directory, which will give option of inducing sub folders & files with option of inserting hyperlink.

So that i don't have to open 7-8 sub folders before opening my files.

(nothing against VBA, its a great tool) if i create a directory using VBA it is not very beautiful..... i wish i could see small folders with little Expansion buttons it would be very great.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Mirroring Worksheets

Sometimes I want to present some information to a client, but not all. Linking doesn't always work due to the possibility of inserting new columns or rows into the data. I would like to clone a worksheet and designate the original as the master worksheet. In the clone, I'd like to change formatting, hide cells, or add information, while mirroring the master data so I can keep my master data and still generate reports for others from the clone.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Query Stability

Hello, I love the new 'Query' features in 2016, but it's too unstable to use. I have sent many 'frowns' from that form i am often seeing.

I am commonly working with multiple connections to view and tables on an SQL server. Using the 'old' method "from other sources" is slower to setup the connections. But is 100% stable. Using the "Recent Sources" and getting the data that way, very often the data wont load or crashes my excel.

I have been trying this new feature for a few months now to give it a chance. But today I give…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Speed up xml import

Importing data from xml file into a Listobject (Table) is very slow. FIle containing 100.000 rows runs 10 minutes. Importing the same data from txt runs 5 secs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel 2016 Desktop Power Query takes ages to refresh from Azure SQL Database. Make refresh faster.

In Excel 2016 Desktop, it takes very long time for Query to refresh from Azure SQL Database (such as Access Web Apps database). Even when the whole Query is connecting to a single small table, refresh takes + 5 minutes sometimes. This Refresh should be made faster.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base