Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable excel online spreadsheet as data source

I would like to be able to use an online excel spreadsheet as a linked data source. Simply paste the excel file url and it likes (similar to sharepoint list, but way easier)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. During imports in Excel please bring in the table names from SQL Server!

I'm doing data import and PowerBI and Excel have such different feels. It would be nice to have tables import with their table names like in PowerBI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. allow customization of dropdown button used on dropdown lists. Specifically make larger

allow customization of dropdown button used on dropdown lists. Specifically make larger...but different colors would be nice too

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Respect Columns when Copying and pasting a table from a table or web site

When copying tables from a web site or other table, and pasting into an Excel Spreadsheet, the data is all put in one column. It should be pasted into separate columns. The workaround is to copy and paste one column at a time is quite cumbersome and sometimes does not work if there are blank cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Speed up queries against exchange folders with Power Query

I have 10.000+ in calendar items and I use Power Query to have a report of hours spent by categories. Updating that query takes too long. It has to requery all the 10.000 items just to get the single one that has been added. Maybe query folding is not working against Exchange?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow renaming ranges in3D Maps Excel

Allow me to rename ranges in 3D Maps. Here's a screenshot, https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0hdF2ZeN_LTuw9FLAUw

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Live update when dragging the scrollbar thumb when using text import

This is a quality-of-life improvement suggestion for the usage of Excel. It should take an intern programmer about a day to do.

When using the Text Import wizard, you can press either direction button for the scrollbar to update the view of the data to be imported. However, when dragging the thumb for the scrollbar the display does not update. Only when the thumb is dropped from the dragging action does the display update.

Please make a change so dragging the thumb updates the view in realtime for the imported data display. This will make the importing of wide rows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Stop loading PowerQuery queries from stealing focus

When you load data via PowerQuery it renders Excel unusable because every few seconds the UI element of the query refreshes and takes focus. So if you open up a new instance of Excel you will be dashed back to the Excel spreadsheet with the running query despite starting a separate new Excel document. It makes multi-tasking difficult!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable query to Azure blob storage using SAS URI

I'm trying to query Azure Blob Storage using Excel to pull some analytics on the data stored there, however, it needs the account key to do so. I'd prefer to use a read-only shared access signature (SAS) URI to do this, but it doesn't have that option. As I need to share this Excel file, I cannot use the account key.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow us to remove all connections instead of individually

I need to be able to remove all connections not one at a time in the connections box related to 3D Maps.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0h5czVah8SBvTv7zklw

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Provide a tool to show, in detail, exactly what Excel thinks a cell contains.

When I import data by copying/pasting tabular data or similar, I often wind up with what looks like valid Excel data, but for one reason or another Excel can't process it. It can be something simple, like a spurious trailing (or leading) blank, or more complicated. I have spent hours in the past trying to figure out why Excel can't use what looks like perfectly fine data, and figuring out how to massage that data to make is usable. Excel sorely needs a way to tell the user exactly what it thinks a cell is, with, perhaps, suggestion(s) of how…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I can no longer import Data from external sources into my personal Excel Spreadsheets

The "copy" function worked for the last five years whenever I needed to import data from my own personal financial software and "paste" into my excel spreadsheet from which I run charts and graphs based on the data. This needs to be fixed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create a PowerQuery Folder function wizard

PowerQuery would be great if it was provided with the capability (current capability fixed) to import bulk XML and excel files. Currently excel is achievable with workarounds of creating a function for the folder function(why?) as in this post http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/02/25/combine-multiple-excel-workbooks-in-power-query/ however it becomes even more obtuse (though) it shouldn't if you have an xml file representing more than 1 table.

Pressing import from Folder should expect that you are doing just that and ask what file type, then load the first file to edit as desired and then execute against all files in folder.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel to import tcx files.

tcx files (garmin originally) are widespread in the fitness industry. It would be very useful if excel could import this file format.

With fitness bands and watches like fitbit and apple watch this area will get bigger and it would be great if Microsoft Excel was ahead of the curve and allowed import of tcx files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Create Powershell Cmdlets for getting data from worksheets

Importing Excel data into SQLServer or other platforms that accept csv is a common task. The problem is the tools at hand right now like SSIS, COM, oledb, or parsing the XML, are really bad.

It would be nice to have an officially supported set of Cmdlets for dealing with Excel data that could be used interactively for testing, and then put into automated scripts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fully support comma/quote text file exports in Excel and Access.

Fully support correctly formatted comma/quote text file exports in Excel and Access. These import OK but the quoted text is lost in the export file!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add support for SQLite databases as a data source in Excel

SQLite, an open-source relational database and one of the most widely deployed and used database engines.(https://www.sqlite.org/mostdeployed.html).

It would be really useful to be able to query sqlite databases directly in excel. Either to just view data or for further analysis using powerpivot.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Data import to a table - add automatically new rows

When importing data from into a table (from CSV file) there should be an option to add new rows automatically after the last one (as with MS Access).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base