Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. check the question "IP Address as a datatype." as more would love to have it (including me)

Make a datatype format category for IPv 4 & 6 (12 position and 20 bit IP addresses). Opening csv imports of IP Address lists removes zeros and hence changes the sort order

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. import multiple txt files

I have a folder with 15 tab delimited .txt files. I want to import and graph 7 of them. The only solutions online suggest merging all files into one .txt, or to plug in a VBA.
    This should be more user friendl, like an "import multiple" button, or simply the option to select multiple .txt files on import.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. DreamFactory Connection

Add out-of-the-box PowerQuery support for the default DreamFactory API. DreamFactory makes all underlying DBMS's have the same API signature, so allowing connections to this would help to leverage all the web connected sources available from DF. https://www.dreamfactory.com/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Power Query Sharepoint Dates Don't reflect regional settings

When querying a SharePoint list, it brings dates back as American format and not regionalised. Even though in SharePoint the date settings are set correctly to New Zealand, dates are incorrect. This also happens in Power Query in Excel and PowerBI. They display correctly in SharePoint. The query brings them back as Text, which also fails when converting to dates because our regional format is dd/mm/yyyy so any date like 16/11/2016 fails and gives an error. This makes querying SharePoint not really usable in our region. It also doesn't bring back timezone information.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. change data source for all Pivot tables without VBA

you cannot change the data source for 2 or more pivot tables (conneceted to the same data source) that "share" the same slicer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Color cell to sum number cell

Post a number in a in a cell based on the color of the cell nest to it. IE sum cells c2-c5 if color of cell d2-d50 is red/green.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable user to specify default column breakout for inserted/pasted data such as from CSV instead of using the last Text to Columns setting

When a user imports data, Excel uses the last Text to Columns setting. It would be nice to have this be a different default setting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Looped/Cursored Queries

I currently use Powershell code to pull "batched" data from an API that returns a fixed number of results per request, followed by a "next" object with the URL for the next batch of results. It would be nice if PowerQuery could read the "next" URL and continue the pulls until all data is obtained (the "next" URL would be blank/null)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable excel online spreadsheet as data source

I would like to be able to use an online excel spreadsheet as a linked data source. Simply paste the excel file url and it likes (similar to sharepoint list, but way easier)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. During imports in Excel please bring in the table names from SQL Server!

I'm doing data import and PowerBI and Excel have such different feels. It would be nice to have tables import with their table names like in PowerBI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. allow customization of dropdown button used on dropdown lists. Specifically make larger

allow customization of dropdown button used on dropdown lists. Specifically make larger...but different colors would be nice too

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Respect Columns when Copying and pasting a table from a table or web site

When copying tables from a web site or other table, and pasting into an Excel Spreadsheet, the data is all put in one column. It should be pasted into separate columns. The workaround is to copy and paste one column at a time is quite cumbersome and sometimes does not work if there are blank cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Speed up queries against exchange folders with Power Query

I have 10.000+ in calendar items and I use Power Query to have a report of hours spent by categories. Updating that query takes too long. It has to requery all the 10.000 items just to get the single one that has been added. Maybe query folding is not working against Exchange?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow renaming ranges in3D Maps Excel

Allow me to rename ranges in 3D Maps. Here's a screenshot, https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0hdF2ZeN_LTuw9FLAUw

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Live update when dragging the scrollbar thumb when using text import

This is a quality-of-life improvement suggestion for the usage of Excel. It should take an intern programmer about a day to do.

When using the Text Import wizard, you can press either direction button for the scrollbar to update the view of the data to be imported. However, when dragging the thumb for the scrollbar the display does not update. Only when the thumb is dropped from the dragging action does the display update.

Please make a change so dragging the thumb updates the view in realtime for the imported data display. This will make the importing of wide rows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop loading PowerQuery queries from stealing focus

When you load data via PowerQuery it renders Excel unusable because every few seconds the UI element of the query refreshes and takes focus. So if you open up a new instance of Excel you will be dashed back to the Excel spreadsheet with the running query despite starting a separate new Excel document. It makes multi-tasking difficult!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable query to Azure blob storage using SAS URI

I'm trying to query Azure Blob Storage using Excel to pull some analytics on the data stored there, however, it needs the account key to do so. I'd prefer to use a read-only shared access signature (SAS) URI to do this, but it doesn't have that option. As I need to share this Excel file, I cannot use the account key.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow us to remove all connections instead of individually

I need to be able to remove all connections not one at a time in the connections box related to 3D Maps.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0h5czVah8SBvTv7zklw

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide a tool to show, in detail, exactly what Excel thinks a cell contains.

When I import data by copying/pasting tabular data or similar, I often wind up with what looks like valid Excel data, but for one reason or another Excel can't process it. It can be something simple, like a spurious trailing (or leading) blank, or more complicated. I have spent hours in the past trying to figure out why Excel can't use what looks like perfectly fine data, and figuring out how to massage that data to make is usable. Excel sorely needs a way to tell the user exactly what it thinks a cell is, with, perhaps, suggestion(s) of how…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I can no longer import Data from external sources into my personal Excel Spreadsheets

The "copy" function worked for the last five years whenever I needed to import data from my own personal financial software and "paste" into my excel spreadsheet from which I run charts and graphs based on the data. This needs to be fixed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base