Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Text- und Excel-Dateien

Text (auch CSV)- und Excel-Dateien sollten wieder in eine Word-Datei importiert werden können und zwar so das der Nutzer Spaltenzeichen, Zeilenumbruch und Tabs wieder definieren bzw. bearbeiten kann.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. power query: Split column, more control over deciding how the multiple columns are created

Split Column ,
    you have already added ability to uniformly split the same column multiple times based on delimiter or number of characters.

now can we create columns as needed out of that single column
    for e.g. can we split "ABC1234zxcv" into 3 columns by giving 3:4:4
    and
    "ABC1234zxcv"
    becomes
    ABC 1234 zxcv

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make fusion for data of many workbook Excel

Possibility to make data fusion of many workbook Excel like SAS and SPSS

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Query should be able to transform the current data

Not all transformations done in the get and transform needs to be saved as connections sometimes just a few modifications of the original excel data is enough.
    Please add an option that allows a query from the current workbook to override the original and delete the query after that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Create Microsoft Access Query or Speed Up Refresh Time for OLE DB Type Queries

Using the legacy wizards, it is possible to refresh a "Microsoft Access Database" connection type in under a second, regardless of the number of tables being imported.

However, the new query imports from Access using connection type "OLE DB connection" take around 20 times (or more with my testing) longer to refresh the imported tables.

Future versions of Excel should either a) provide an explicit option for Microsoft Access, where it is still possible to enter the Query Editor and/or other features associated with the new wizards, b) guarantee access to the legacy wizards, or c) simply accelerate the refresh…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to view content of HDF5 files

Would love the ability to explore scientific data files, such as HDF5 or NetCDF.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel Select, a way to "screen shot" a number or other data from any document visible on your screen. The screen shot

Excel Select, a way to "screen shot" a number or other data from any document visible on your screen. The screen shot is then inserted into an individual cell, or multiple cells, and converted into data than can be adjusted and used as if it was typed in.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I have a invoice file created in Lotus 123, and saved as an Excel file.  When I open it, it is protected mode and I can't change. It is fro

I have a invoice file created in Lotus 123, and saved as an Excel file. 
    When I open it, it is protected mode and I can't change. It is from an earlier version.  So I save as the new version, and change the name slightly replacing a - with space.  I was able to modify it and then went to print as PDF.  But I saw that there was an error in the total, and a 40 should have been and 80. 
    I go back to the modifiable version and change it, but the PDF still shows 40.  I delete…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Power Query: untick "Use existing column name as prefix"

Every merge query and expand operation requires me to untick the option "use existing column name as prefix". Please default it to off

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Amazon Redshift Connector

Creation of an Amazon Redshift Connector for Power Query that is similar to Power BI.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-redshift/

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Use Edge Browser For Get Data From Web

Get data from web still uses Internet Explorer. This is insecure, gives out many errors, and doesn't look user-friendly.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix dateTime import errors.

XML well formatted with dateTime field, its on 'Unsupported formats' to import to Excel. Why?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/XML-Schema-Definition-XSD-data-type-support-7cd3c906-9b9e-4a64-ba77-1b23dc5c771c

Please allow to IMPORT a CORRECT XML file to Excel, its very annoing need to modify all dateTime fields in a CORRECT XML file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Data Connection Wizard for OData is broken.

I see that with Excel 2016 (16.0.7927.1017) and later the preferred method for getting (creating data connections) data is through the Power Query functionality (Get and transform data). With the ‘Legacy’ wizards, the OData connection wizard is broken. When getting to the final step to create and save the ODC, once ‘Finish’ is clicked, the connection is not added to the workbook, and no data is retrieved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Improve Text Import Wizard

Some suggestions for the Text Import Wizard.

When starting text import from a certain row, the previewer in steps 2 and 3 still show the preceding rows.

Allow resizing the window.

Allow more data formats (all actual data formats available in the main part of Excel).

Add a function to save steps to be batch applied to files.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. New Data Source -> Existing Get And Transform Query

I find it common to create a singular Get and Transform query that performs a baseline set of commands that are then split off into various outputs. This creates a cascade of queries which is not particularly challenging via the Advanced Editor.
    "let
    Source = Query_Name
    in
    Source"

As easy as that is, simply needing to access the Advanced Editor immediately many users away from the concept.

Something simple like having the option under "New Query" to select an "Existing Query" would be immensely useful and, I would think, incredibly easy.

The attached file demonstrates this in action. Making it…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Import data from MPP to Excel

I map data from mpp to xls. When i import data to excel, it imports extra lines of data with no info. How can i import information that has data only.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ability to update source data through Power Query view

The use cases comes up regularly when working with data sets joined from several sources, e.g. a database and an Excel table. In many useful cases one just needs to carefully bubble the change through a series of joins and filters to figure out which rows to update in the original database table, CSV file, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Drop down list

to select Drop down list from (data validation ) from any different sheets in the worksheets . not only from the sheet that has information on it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Get & Transform queries from Table-Valued User-Defined Functions

Is there any plan to have Get & Transform support queries from Table-Valued Functions from SQL databases?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base