Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Linking Excel Files

I have two identical Excel files, one of them on the desktop and one elsewhere on the PC as a backup. It would be helpful to have them linked so that changes to one would create the same changes to the other to keep them both current.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In the Queries & Connections pane, show the latest refresh duration of each Power Query query

The latest refresh duration can be stated beside the "# rows loaded."/"Connection only." statement, right-aligned, perhaps in the format "3 min 14 sec". The refresh durations do not even have to be saved in the file. For now, they can be kept for only as long as the file remains open.

The refresh durations in Queries & Connections will avoid the need to manually time each query or use a macro to refresh the queries one by one and record the durations. The durations will make it easier to identify which queries need the most optimization.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. ******* YOU MICROSOFT *****. AMAZINGLY EXCEL 365 SUCKS can no longer import text into CSV files CORRECTLY anymore

YOU MICROSOFT . AMAZINGLY EXCEL 365 SUCKS can no longer import text CORRECTLYL into CSV files anymore. GO ** YOUSELVES

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Auto Collect Data From any website.

Hi Support,
    Can you please make any update in top mention request. I have lot of data on web can you please make any changes to take auto data from my website. for more detail find attach snapshot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Date picker directly through Data Validation date criteria "is valid date"

I have tried data validation for Date in Google Sheet. Where we are able to get calendar in a cell directly through data validation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add Dividend Data to Stock Data Type

It would be helpful to include the dividend amount per share and ex-dividend date with the stock data type.

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Data types - Please add an option for hiding/unhiding the icon

Hi there,
    I would like to suggest to have an option, working on a workbook level, to hide/unhide the icons for cells having data types.
    When, for example, printing a report, there may be no need to print out the icons, as only the information is relevant.
    May be it would be possible to have a such option in the page layout tab, like for the gridlines?
    Best,
    Mourad

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Power Query Transform data page. Record steps.

In the Power Query Editor, can a function be added to record what is done to the query data page? All the data I import from the web is formatted exactly the same and there are literally hundreds of pages of date transformed to hundreds of worksheets. I would like to automate the process of transforming the data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Stock Data: update / refresh data automatically

Please keep the stock data automatically up to date without the need to manually refresh it (like in Google Sheets =googlefinance).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Use vlookup function to import data from a worksheet in Google Sheets

When you want to import data from google sheets you must import the the file. My idea is to get it directly from the worksheet on the web

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Missing Mail Merge/Wizard on task bar ribbon

In Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus, the mail merge and mail merge wizard are not there. Add them to the toolbar ribbon.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bal from previous month to present month

I do a month to month bank balancing. I would like to import the previous month's totals to the new month.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Split Rows into n groups to Power Query

In Power Query you can easily split a column into multiple columns. Recently I have had several examples where I needed to split a data set into equal groups of 4 (not bins or frequency). I had to count the total number of rows in the data set. Then insert a blank row evenly between each quarter of the data set. Yes there's probably VBA to do it, but I'd rather have it as part of a PQ solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix this problem: "sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist. "

Fix this ridiculous problem: "Sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist."

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add Undo and Redo buttons to Power Query's Advanced Editor

The Advanced Editor supports the shortcuts for Undo and Redo (Ctrl + Z and Ctrl + Y, respectively), but it does not have buttons for them. Not every user will know these shortcuts or assume that they will work. The buttons will allow the user to undo and redo stuff without requiring them to learn something ahead of time. Please add the Undo and Redo buttons to the Advanced Editor.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. In the Stock lookup list add current annual dividend and dividend period.

In the Stock lookup list add "current annual dividend" and "dividend period - monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual)".

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow inserting of visio files in excel.

I would like to insert a file that is a visio data file so I can click it later and look at it in Visio. Right now when I tried to insert the object it said failed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Paste into address bar (web query browser)

For web queries that utilize that little web browser, you cannot paste a new URL. For example, copy a URL, right click on an existing query table and "Edit Query...", then try to paste into the address bar. Nothing. Clipboard data needs to translate.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. agregar texto o imágenes a color de relleno

pueden habilitar la opicion color de relleno que se pueda agregar texto o imágenes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable Power Query to Get Data from Excel workbook stored in SharePoint Online document library

Excel Power Query does not provide an Excel workbook stored in SharePoint Online (SPO) document libraries as a data source. In response to Community discussion, Microsoft suggested a work-around to sync the document library that stores the data source (Excel workbook) with OneDrive for Business, then Get Data from the ODFB copy of the data source. That works, but not for our use case.

Our use case: We are a very small company with only 1 power user who is proficient with Excel power tools. We want that user to develop the Excel workbooks (that use power tools) that would…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 8 10 12 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base