Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power Query should allow Get from Folder from a Ondrive folder URL (not the mapped folder on the local file system)

Power Query allows Get from Folder from a local file system. If we are using Onedrive, we have to first map the folders to that local file system. We cannot directly enter the URL of the Onedrive folder as an https URL.

This would avoid the problem of having queries break when the local file system is different between, say, my work and my home PCs. EG the work folder may be C:\Users(work userid)\Onedrive - (my onedriveID)\folder name. But my home folder is C:\Users(home userid)\Onedrive - (my onedriveID)\folder name.
    I'd be happy to use "try Folder.Files (work*) otherwise Folder.Files (home*)…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Insert Data From Picture Option Available for Excel Desktop

Insert Data From Picture has been rolled out for Excel Mobile.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/insert-data-from-picture-3c1bb58d-2c59-4bc0-b04a-a671a6868fd7

Please make this available for Excel Desktop. (Or is already available? If so how to access it?)

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Stop automatically changing text and number fields to dates

Excel needs to provide a setting to allow users to prevent Excel from changing number and text data fields to "Date" data format when importing data. THIS IS INCREDIBLY AGGRAVATING. Once Excel incorrectly changes something in my .csv file to a date, I can no longer recover the number or text that it was supposed to be, and I must re-export the file from the database. It is absolutely unacceptable for excel to change my data, especially without giving a warning or providing a preferences setting that I can disable. Yet another example of how excel is a piece of…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Getting Data from another excel file copies the cell format and style

I want to have a separate excel sheet that can get an updated data from another worksheet and also follows the cell format and style.

I can only get an updated data but it won't follow the cell format and style

If I do a copy/paste, I can get the data with the format and style but it won't update any data if there are changes from the other workbook

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. remove empty rows and columns automatically

When importing data from other formats, say a pdf, the data is often formatted badly with lots of empty columns and rows between fields of useful data, these are usually minimised and get in the way of performing useful functions.I would like the ability to automatically remove any column or row within a highlighted data area, where the whole column or row contains no data. the sheet I am looking at currently goes up to column EY, but only has 12 columns of actual data. similarly it is 597 rows high and only should be around 100.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add PDF Connector to Excel PowerQuery

Connectors available for PowerBI POwerQuery might be available for Excel PowerQuery too

One example with missing support is PDF Connector

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. In Power Query, add an all-in-1 column-centric column transformation function: Table.AddColumns

In Power Query, it is common to add, remove, transform, rename, reorder, and change the data type of columns. Currently, each operation has its own separate function. Columns will often require multiple operations, causing columns to be repeated across different function calls, which leads to inconsistent-looking code that is difficult to read and write. Also, some functions have limitations. For example, Table.AddColumn can add only 1 column, and Table.TransformColumns cannot transform a column based on values in other columns. Finally, some functions overlap in their functionality (see Functionality.png), but this overlap is sporadic and can cause confusion.

To solve these…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Power Query Undo/Redo

The Power Query editor is nearly perfect! However when I accidentally deleted an Applied Step and realized I couldn’t undo that, I realized PQ really does have an opportunity for improvement! Please upvote this post so they will add Undo/Redo capability into Power Query!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Link workbook to an Access database to use Excel as front-end GUI.

Let's be up front...
    MS Excel's database functionality is lacking. MS Access' reporting/GUI functionality is severely lacking. Why not create the ability to unite the two?

Excel's worksheet grid UI rocks for data presentation, especially for ease of use. The closest thing in Access to Excel's grid is the data sheet. Well... the data sheet stinks, like a dead carcus. Let's not even get into Access' poor and sorry reporting features - or lack thereof. Because we can create awesome user forms in Excel, how about the ability to create a table in an excel worksheet and link that table…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. import from excel to outlook

Allow Outlook to import from Excell and Access, DIRECTLY

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I need the ability to add 1 cell (not one row of cells) added back

I used to be able to add 1 cell to a column without adding an entire row; it seems in Office 365 you can no longer do that; the options I have are for entire rows or columns only

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make it easier to obtain Excel file path from OneDrive and SharePoint

When referencing Excel files held on OneDrive with Power Query you need to download the Excel file, open it, copy the path and then remove ?web=1 from the end of it. It would be great if there was a right click or ... option when selecting an Excel file in OneDrive that would give you this path without the ?web=1 on the end.

This is also being voted for on the OneDrive forum here...https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/913522-onedrive-on-windows/suggestions/36259678-make-it-easier-to-obtain-excel-file-path-from-oned

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Turn off auto-date formatting

Why isn't there a way to turn off the auto-formatting of values which excel thinks are dates? People have complained about this for at least 10 years, maybe longer. I just don't understand why there isn't a way to turn this off.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Default the Power Query formula bar as on

In the Power Query editor window the formula bar is defaulted as off. This is the first thing I tell people to turn on as it’s key to avoiding unintended errors and future proofing your code.

As Gil Raviv says in his book, “ Enabling the formula bar is fundamental to avoid the pitfalls”

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. UsedRange reset

I frequently run into situations where the worksheet (as evidenced by the scroll bars) thinks that it is very big when in fact only a small area actually contains data. I assume this is due to some sort of data import that was subsequently refreshed with a lot less records.

Even if I delete the entire rows and entire columns of empty space the scrollbars still indicate that a much larger area is used. I can also select these cells and Clear All but that doesn't work either. If I save the file the file size will also reflect a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Formula Bar

What could be an idea is to make the "formula bar (date entry) for people & those that wear glasses larger or the option to change the font size to suit said people, to see the information better and clearer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make power query in excel = power BI

Hello,
    Many of power query functions which has been in power BI for years still doesn't exist in excel version!

For example Html.Table,Web.BrowserContents and so on.

As far as i understand both excel and PB using the same engine under the hood.

Please make excel power query equal to power BI one. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. change default browser to google chrome

t would be greatly appreciated if you could change the browser from Internet Explorer to other engine/free to choose (Chrome, Firefox) that Excel's web query uses to access links in an excel table/workbook. I use a search engine that does not support Internet Explorer and I am not able to access the site. PLEASE MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR ALL ENGINES/ it is not user friendly. It appears that there is no way around to fix this problem. Please need help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Let me choose Decimal separator and Date order in PowerQuery instead of guessing

When importing textfiles using Get and Transform I always struggle with one thing: I do not know upfront what the decimal separator and date order is of my text file. PQ only offers to choose a Locale, but it does not tell me what date order and syntax, nor which decimal separator belongs to this locale.
    I'd love to be able to just choose the relevant separators and date order from a couple of drop-downs. I can almost always see which it is I need from the data, but I hardly ever know which locale belongs to the specific combination…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base