Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hire a designer

Hire a designer so they can make your products work better.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Selecting an area, mark the info in cells with another colour (default: light grey), just like in previous versions

I know many people do not like the idea of 'supporting columns' integrated in the worksheet for the user. But I'm all for it. Font in same colour as background colour so no one sees it. If I'd like to quickly check what value the formula returns, I'd only need to select an area incl. that cell. The darker grey colour, to mark the selection, is of another shade of colur than the font.

At least until Excel 2010 this was always standard in excel. In the Mac version it still is the case! Please guys, would you consider going…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Maarten,

We aren’t going to be changing the selection color in order to make “hidden text” show up more easily because we don’t think that “hidden text” is a good thing in spreadsheets (generally).

Have you considered adding column to your sheet and simply toggling the hidden/visibility of that column (hide/show) based on whether you want to see the notes?

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

3. Include image of new charts

Excel 2016 would make ooxml more attractive if it included an image of the new chart types.

Word and Powerpoint include this image of new chart types (e.g. word/media/image1.png) , but Excel does not. This means that implementers of ooxml interpreters have to interpret the new chart data, styles, etc. right away.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are not planning to include an image of the chart in the file format in Excel because charts tend to be positioned next to the data that they represent. In backcompat situations, if an image was shown of the chart, it would not update if the chart data was changed. This would create a misleading situation. If there are other scenarios, where providing a chart image in Excel’s file format would be necessary and appropriate, please open a new feature request with those details.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Data Labels in Power View Map

When clicking on "Data Labels" in the Power View Map, can we get the numbers instead of the State names or abbreviations?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We aren’t making updates to Power View at this time so I’m declining this idea (and giving your votes back).

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

5. Adding picture to the ideas posted on this forum

It would be nice to have a chance to add a picture describing better ideas posted on this forum.
    There is a sentence that pictures says more than 1000 words and often ideas may be misunderstood if there in a chance to draw the idea. .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Where to find information on how to make a timeline, starting from scratch?

I like to make a timeline which is similar to the template 'Timeline with milestones'. This template blocks when it is adjusted. Where to find information on how to make such timeline, starting from scratch? 

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bring back the chart wizzard

The chart wizard made it much easier to pick chart area and to chart data transposed. I'm sure it's possible to chart transposed but I no longer know how to do it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base