Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide IBCS-Charts

or buy ZebraBI (Add-In) www.zebrabi.com

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By IBCS, I assume you are referring to “International Business Communication Standards”. Could you provide more detail on what you are specifically looking for? IBCS is pretty broad.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

2. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What type of deeper integration for charting are you looking for? Currently, most of the UI is shared and they use the same charting engine.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. Increase number of series from 255 to atleast 1000

For technical or scientific data (eg band structures) we need many data series charted before narrowing down to fewer. The series limit is very annoying and has no fix except to go to open source or a different app.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you provide some additional examples or use cases where you need more than 255 series? We want to better understand the scenarios of usage.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Improve Data Visualization (Analytics) and/or Charting options -- thus making EXCEL the defacto app.

Improvement should include more options (including 3D) than presently available -- bringing more up to par with other offerings (such as Tableau, Prezi, etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very broad statement. Please provide additional details on the specific features that you would like to see. Ideally log those as spate feature requests so that others can vote on them individually.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. provide new chart type: Turnip Chart from Dartmouth Atlas; I have sas code that does it

provide new chart type: Turnip Chart from Dartmouth Atlas; I have sas code that does it

SAS Code

%let gpath='.';
    %let dpi=200;

data mydata;
    format percent percentn9.2;
    format cum_percent percentn9.2;
    input mpg freq percent cum_percent;
    percent=percent/100;
    cum_percent=cum_percent/100;
    Cat='A';
    datalines;
    11.57101 2 2.70 2.70
    13.88521 8 10.81 13.51
    16.19941 8 10.81 24.32
    18.51361 17 22.97 47.30
    20.82781 8 10.81 58.11
    23.14201 12 16.22 74.32
    25.45621 8 10.81 85.14
    27.77042 3 4.05 89.19
    30.08462 4 5.41 94.59
    34.71302 3 4.05 98.65
    41.65562 1 1.35 100.00
    ;
    run;

/*--Expand the data--*/
    data expand;
    set mydata;
    do i=1 to freq;
    output;
    end;
    run;

/*--Draw…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve the precision of object placement on charts

Since Excel 10, the precision of placed objects like lines on charts has deteriorated. For example, drawing a 45 degree line on a chart from one corner to the other is very imprecise because it seems the cursor has trouble picking up the correct pixel in the chart axes corner. Sometimes the chart has to be resized to nail the placement down.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to provide a sample file that illustrates the problem or more specific repro steps?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. Axis title high-low option for charts.

For some unknown reason, excel chart always flips my data so that the first data point is at the bottom of the y axis. As a result, I always have to select 'reverse order' so that the data appears in the order that I type it. Annoying, but not a major problem. However, the x-axis title is now always at the top, and there is no option to select 'high' to place it at the bottom of the chart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m not able to reproduce the problem you are describing. Can you send me more explicit steps that are needed to reproduce it and a sample file?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Pre-formatted templates for data visualisation (e.g. tables, charts)

I see this as a modernisation, ease of use of good old excel for people who are not advanced users, or people who don't have time or many people who only need basic features - e.g. tables and (related) charts.

I love the idea I could just dump data and instantly have a nice outcome/visualisation, potentially in a box, so I could see the template coming alive as I dump/amend data.

To wrap up, all the user would need to do is to copy/paste data to populate the fields for the templates. No further action required from users, no need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. I just want make sure I understand it. Are you suggesting that we automatically create a chart when data is put in the grid? If not, is there an example you could provide?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base