Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ability to use cell references or formulas in all chart format options

When creating a number of related charts, it's often useful to set the minima and maxima of the chart axes to the same values on all charts. Currently, if the min/max you wish to show changes because cell values change, this involves clicking each chart and changing the values in the axis options individually. This is tedious and prone to error when large numbers of charts are involved.

It would be advantageous to be able to tie these axis properties to cell values (or even to define a formula for them). That way, a user could update a single value…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Machine Learning

XLMiner Ad In is built for data mining / machine learning algorithms in excel and now it's high time to get this ad in in excel by default.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Highlight Bar

I think it would be nice to have a savable highlight bar of sorts, one that would go across one, or a few, rows or columns at a time to make it easier to track across that row (or column). This would come in handy especially in cases where someone needs to keep track of information across several columns (or rows) where visually skipping to the wrong line would be easy to do. Sort of like holding a ruler to a sheet of paper so one can work line-by-line. It would also be handy if a row/column's header is off-screen.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Complete editing data table in chart

Option of complete editing data table in chart, for example:
    - font size, color etc.
    - background color
    - border type
    - number format (currency, custom, linked or not with source)
    - aligning (espiecially to the right)
    - ordering data series (for example descending, custom)
    - option show/hide horizontal axis lables (now it's doubled)
    - changing size, position of table

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. New chart: Word Cloud/ Tag Cloud chart determined by its frequency

Are you developing Word Cloud/ Tag Cloud chart that word size is proportional to its frequency? Many webs/ apps have Word Cloud but random size. I think it does not make sense. The size should reflect something meaningful. I really need this chart for my job.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Postcodes

Please will you strike a deal with Ordnance Survey to allow Excel Maps to Support UK postcodes (or at least the first part of the postcode)?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Map feature not recognising Wales, England, Scotland and NI

The Map chart feature is great but it is not recognising Wales, England, Scotland and NI as separate parts of the UK. Splitting by county or postcode would also be useful for regional sales, web traffic, marketing, etc?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Creation of custom regions within Excel for 3D Maps by post code

A tool within the application to create custom regions in 3D Maps by entering/selecting a list of postcodes/postcode sectors. This will be very valuable to businesses with their own defined services areas not covered by conventional county/other boundaries.

Currently we can highlight areas via postcode, but not group them together to show different regions comprised of many postcodes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow logarithmic axis in PowerView XY scatter charts

I create lots of XY scatter plots and require both X and Y axes to be logarithmic. PowerView does not currently have this as an option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Blinking Cells after 'Find' finds a data

Hello
    It will be better if cell blinks after a 'Find' operation. Otherwise it is very difficult to search. please see the attached image.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Congressional Districts

Just like there are maps by state and city, there should be capabilities for charting and creating maps by U.S. Congressional Districts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Total Row in Charts Data Table

Data Tables of Charts do not include a Total row. They should if the data selected/used includes total values.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Flashing Cells under specific conditions

Like a conditional formatting, once the value is, for example, >10, the the cell where the value is in should flash in a certain colour

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Non-Numeric measure support to Power View

Non-numeric measure is supported in PowerPivot. However, it isn't supported in Power View. Non-numeric measure will not show up in list of available fields in Power View.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow customising chart colors

I was making a scatter chart. I wanted to change the colors of the entries (on the graph and in the legend). I went into Chart Tools > Design > Change Colors, but it only gave me options, and did not let me choose my own colors. None of the colors were what I wanted, so my only way to change it is to overlap each dot with a oval from Insert > Shapes. By the way, I have more than 6 entries in the Legend, but I don't want #7 to be a darker or lighter version of #1,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve box and whisker plots

Box and whisker plots are much more poorly thought out than the other Excel chart formats. Here are my main problems that really need to be fixed.

1. There is no "format data point option" like in the other charts. I would like to make a couple of boxs in the same series a different colour to the rest, but I do not have the ability to do this.

2. I cannot put multiple series next to each other on the x-axis, even though each series has different horizontal axis labels. They get overlaid onto whatever the first series has its horizontal…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bug Fix Needed: Data Labels - Value From Cells - Text Not Updating

When using the new Value From Cells option for data labels in an XY Scatter chart, if the range you select for the Value From Cells contains any BLANK cells and then you save the file and close the file ... when you re-open the file and try to edit the blank cells to add data labels to the chart, the data labels remain blank. Normally, you can edit the cells to edit the data label text and the data label text updates immediately.

Current Work-Around: (1) Go to Format Data Labels (2) Click on the Reset Label Text button…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow error bars or drop lines for single points

I'd like to add x- and y- error bars to individual points on a x-y chart to highlight one or two selected points. Using the Minus direction x- and y- error bars with 100% on a singe point would be great for highlighting a point.

Currently, error bars are added to every point in a series. This isn't terribly useful when there are many crowded points, or when a single point is to be highlighted. See the left chart in the attached image

Currently, an additional series must be added (see attached image) to create the desired drop-down feature. It's…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sunburst Alternative

I really like the new sunburst chart function in Office 2016. HOWEVER, I think that the round layout of the chart is confusing. Since it is a circle, the fields in the second layer have to be proportionally bigger than the fields in the first layer, even though the value is less. That is why I think Excel should add a HORIZONTAL SUNBURST ALTERNATIVE. In the image attached I show an example of what that would look like.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Charts - Pasting without link to source sheet (using data in the destination sheet)

In older versions of Excel we used to be able to paste into the destination sheet and have the chart source data match the destination and not link to the starting sheet. Please bring this feature back.

Background: I often have to add a chart to each worksheet in large workbooks. The worksheets all have data in them in the same ranges.
    Copy/pasting a chart from one worksheet to another results in a chart that refers to the data in the original sheet and not the destination sheet.

The 2 suggested options for fixing the range are 1) selecting each…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base