Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Colored Chart Legends Automatically

The color of chart legends should match chart items by default. Matching colors makes charts easy to understand and visually appealing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel for Data analytics using machine learing and deep learning techniques

The input for every machine learning and deep learning algorithm is structured. The input format is the table with output as a categorical value. Supervised deep learning models using drag and drop layers (Convolutional layer, drop out layer) can help in easy use of deep learning techniques. Further, keras integration will further help in developing their own deep learning codes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. expand the limits of legend

Expand the limits of the legend for Maps. Right now cannot see more than 20, would like at least 50

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Customize Graph Y-Axis Label

Add in customize y-axis label options for graph. We wanted to do a project S-curve, but we don't want Y-axis to represent as project progress percentage (0-100%) instead we would want the Y-axis to be as project stage label (DR1, DP1 etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. change y-axis to temperature

I need to be able to take a tbale that has the degree sign and F in it and graph it without taking the degree sign and F out of every single cell

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Conditional Formatting for Graphs

The graph fill colours should be controllable by conditional formatting so that positive/negative can be green/red or "if below certain value/cell-value". If easier don't make it so that the format is relevant to the graph do it so that it is formula driven only on external cell references.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Horizontal Box and Whisker Plots

Schools use box and whisker plots horizontally. As of current I have only seen Excel do them vertically. This is extremely frustrating.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow the use of Structured References in charts

I love using the structured references from my Excel tables in my formulas. Much easier to read! However, structured references cannot currently be used in Charts in Excel. It would be nice to be able to use structured references in my charts. For example, you could imagine a simple chart with [Date] as the X axis and [Sales] as the Y axis.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. histogram bins and bin widths

When making a histogram, you can either specify Bin Width or Number of Bins, but not both. You should be able to do both!!! Especially if you have to create multiple histograms to compare to one another. If the data is slightly different, excel is going to format them both differently and then you are unable to properly compare them.
    Also, if you try to create a histogram using the Data Analysis Tool Pack, it spaces out the bars making this a bar graph, NOT a histogram.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. With Map Charts, Please Add Leader Lines So That You Can See the Data Labels In Small Geographic Areas

With Map Charts, I cannot see the data labels in small geographic areas. Can you please make them "editable" so that I can move/ resize them and/or add leader lines to the data labels so that the values can be properly displayed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. In charts, create an option to align the 'zero' points of primary and secondary y-axes.

When charting to quite different datasets on a combo graph, there doesn't seem to be a way to force the 'zero' points of each y axis to align without weird hacks involving creating extra data series. For example, with revenue and costs on the left axis and margin % on the right axis, it becomes misleading when the vertical alignment of $0 isn't the same as 0%

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Auto resize y-axis primary and secondary axis

Want an option to auto resize resize the primary and secondary y-axis so the min/max changes, allowing for a more zoomed in look of data. This is necessary for non-static data where the axis is always changing. This can be done with VBA code, but not everyone has the chops for that. See line charts here to see exactly what I mean: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/blog/vba-automatically-adjust-chart-y-axis-min-and-max-values

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3D bubble chart

With today's advances in data and visualization, it is sometimes necessary to find ways to represent more and more relationships at the same time. The bubble chart currently allows 3 data points; X, Y, and size of bubble. There is a (I'd argue, misnamed) 3D bubble chart, but that is just a regular bubble chart with nicer graphics.

I'd like to propose a true 3D bubble chart that includes a Z axis in addition to X,Y, and size. The user would also need to be able to rotate the chart view to see true position.

In accordance with other suggestions…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bubble charts to have size that scales with the plot axes so you can plot relative to the scale

Bubble charts have a random marker size that is only relative to each other.

If bubble size could be in the same unit as the axes then this could be used to plot spatial things.

Also axes would need to be able to be square automatically

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option for data label to be dynamically linked to the end-point of a data series in a line chart.

While you can currently add a data label to the end-point of a data series in a line graph, the data-label does not dynamically transfer to the new end-point when additional data is added.

Permitting users to select an option that would dynamically always put the data label at the end-point would eliminate the need to maintain the data series labeling manually each time new data is added to the time series, and enable the end-point data label to do double-duty, since the legend may not be necessary if the series name is included in the data label.

Another possible…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Increase production capabilities!

Hey, I'm an old man. Used Excel for over 25 yrs.
    I want you to send someone down here and see how I use Office.
    Your commitment to the "ribbon" is not going to ward off the competition you face.
    You need to up your game and contribute to some increased interoperability functionality among your products!!!
    e.g. I have a spreadsheet with 20 graphs.
    Why cant I click a button and export them to separate slides in PowerPoint? Or to a Word doc? Heck I want to mail merge them to a Word doc!

You also need to improve your…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Data Bar Conditional formatting for Percentages does not work properly

If you create a data bar conditional format for a data set that includes both positive and negative percentages, and if you attempt to click on the button to show negative values in the same direction as positive, the functionality does not work. No matter how you change the minimum and maximum, either have it be a number or a percentage, it does not work properly. The attached file shows that the representation of the colors in the cell is not representative of the percentages within the cell. This is a glitch and defeats the purpose of this tool and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. For Shapes Drawn on Graphs - Allow Points to Be Tied to Coordinates

When sizing water pumps and other equipment, I have found that it is very helpful to highlight certain areas of scatter plots with mostly-transparent shapes. This is currently possible if I manually overlay shapes onto a scatter plot, however, I would like to make a template spreadsheet for my company that can do this quickly. And the way that I have thought of for this to work is to allow the corners of shapes within a graph to be tied to coordinates. That way, if a coordinate is changed, then the shape will update according to the change.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow the cursor to move within the textbox for range selection within select data for charts

It is a royal pain in the **** to have to use the mouse/trackpad to align the I beam to the absolutely correct position to be able to modify the range. As soon as a cursor key is pressed, the location of the cell highlighted is added to the range, CTRL+A (a precursor to deleting the whole textbox) merely adds the entire sheet to the range.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Nigeria Maps

I am loving the new MS Excel features especially the colors and most especially the maps. I just can't stop playing with it.
    However, I noticed that while creating a map of Nigeria using states; a certain state (Kebbi) never seems to be mapped with data. The map recognizes the state but it never picks up data in that section. Please Help to make this feature PERFECT!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base