Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Control Elbows

After "setting" one end of the elbow then as you drag it out to where you want to "set" the other end It will often change shape or direction of what one wants. At that point one has to start all over and insert an ovals so the elbow attaches to ovals so shape of elbow is how one wants it. It would be so much easier if after the first end of the elbow is set that as you drag the other end of the elbow that once it is in the shape or direction one wants it, then…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The creator of a diagram, which is not available in older Excel versions should receive a warning message

It will be convenient, when you create a diagram in Excel (for example Waterfall), which is not available in older Excel versions, to receive a warning message, that this diagram is not available in older Excel versions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a candlestick pattern to sparklines

Using stock data with Hi/Lo/Open/Close, it would be great to have a sparkline that will show the candle forming for the day.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. change minimum bound on log scale plot without affecting major/minor grid steps.

If i set minimum x-axis bound to 5, the major grid should remain 10,100,1000,etc, and not 5,50,500,50000

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Set decimal places for axis in chart with drop-down menu

Please install a drop-down menu for selecting the number of decimal places to be shown for data. This would avoid the current need to flip back and forth from cursor to keyboard, and the convention of dropdown options like this widely used in other parts of Excel and MS programs in general.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add extra features to pie / sunburst charts

Currently, only one feature of Excel's pie chart is linked to data - the angular spread (radians) of each slice.
    I would like to see features added in Excel to link the color of each slice, the height of each slice, and the radius, or extension of each slice out from the center, to different columns of data. In this way, one chart can show 5 types of data. See the attached file for an explanation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel seems to have the same coding for NT Australia and NT Canada.

differentiate the code for NT Australia and NT Canada. am tryiong to do a chart for NT Australia and it thinks its canada. needs to be fixed please..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Auto resize y-axis primary and secondary axis

Want an option to auto resize resize the primary and secondary y-axis so the min/max changes, allowing for a more zoomed in look of data. This is necessary for non-static data where the axis is always changing. This can be done with VBA code, but not everyone has the chops for that. See line charts here to see exactly what I mean: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/blog/vba-automatically-adjust-chart-y-axis-min-and-max-values

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3D bubble chart

With today's advances in data and visualization, it is sometimes necessary to find ways to represent more and more relationships at the same time. The bubble chart currently allows 3 data points; X, Y, and size of bubble. There is a (I'd argue, misnamed) 3D bubble chart, but that is just a regular bubble chart with nicer graphics.

I'd like to propose a true 3D bubble chart that includes a Z axis in addition to X,Y, and size. The user would also need to be able to rotate the chart view to see true position.

In accordance with other suggestions…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bubble charts to have size that scales with the plot axes so you can plot relative to the scale

Bubble charts have a random marker size that is only relative to each other.

If bubble size could be in the same unit as the axes then this could be used to plot spatial things.

Also axes would need to be able to be square automatically

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Control chart option for pivot table/chart

We are constantly having to distinguish trending from variability. It would be amazing if there was any way to include control charts with pivot table/charts. Being able to designate numerator, denominator, attribute vs. variables data and show, upper and lower control limits, +/-1 sigma, +/- 2 sigma, grand average would be a HUGE benefit. Really any step in this direction would be a benefit.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option for data label to be dynamically linked to the end-point of a data series in a line chart.

While you can currently add a data label to the end-point of a data series in a line graph, the data-label does not dynamically transfer to the new end-point when additional data is added.

Permitting users to select an option that would dynamically always put the data label at the end-point would eliminate the need to maintain the data series labeling manually each time new data is added to the time series, and enable the end-point data label to do double-duty, since the legend may not be necessary if the series name is included in the data label.

Another possible…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow the use of Structured References in charts

I love using the structured references from my Excel tables in my formulas. Much easier to read! However, structured references cannot currently be used in Charts in Excel. It would be nice to be able to use structured references in my charts. For example, you could imagine a simple chart with [Date] as the X axis and [Sales] as the Y axis.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3D Maps Data card formatting of numbers

Hi,

I went to use the 3D Map feature in Excel 2016 and it was all going good until I looked into the data card and the numbers showing have no format whatsoever. It is very hard to read them and I have tried formatting the numbers in the data source and re doing the map but nothing works. Can you please fix it so that it can either use the data source formatting or you can customise the number formatting on the data card

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Geospatial formulas in Excel - Postal code to Lat/Long

Hi. I have postal codes of my data points and PowerMap plots them very well! It would really help if an Excel formula communicated with the Bing Maps API and returned Latitutde and Longitude coordinates for my Postal Codes. Google Maps API has such a feature (albeit quite expesive) and I don't want to pay Google for a capability that MS already has and that I am already a paying customer of!

That's the summary, read on for more deets:

With PowerMap being used with increasing amounts of data, customers, especially businesses are going to want to aggregate their geo-visualizations…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Increase production capabilities!

Hey, I'm an old man. Used Excel for over 25 yrs.
    I want you to send someone down here and see how I use Office.
    Your commitment to the "ribbon" is not going to ward off the competition you face.
    You need to up your game and contribute to some increased interoperability functionality among your products!!!
    e.g. I have a spreadsheet with 20 graphs.
    Why cant I click a button and export them to separate slides in PowerPoint? Or to a Word doc? Heck I want to mail merge them to a Word doc!

You also need to improve your…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel for Data analytics using machine learing and deep learning techniques

The input for every machine learning and deep learning algorithm is structured. The input format is the table with output as a categorical value. Supervised deep learning models using drag and drop layers (Convolutional layer, drop out layer) can help in easy use of deep learning techniques. Further, keras integration will further help in developing their own deep learning codes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. BUG - Reorganising Data in Charts (i.e. moving up or down)

BUG - Reorganising Data in Charts (i.e. moving up or down) does not also move the data is selected tick.

So if you move a data set up above a data set that is unselected, the item it replaces becomes selected and the moved data takes whatever property the one above had (i.e unselected).

Bit of a pain.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bar colours in graph

Colours of the bars in graphs do not retain their colour after saving and closing the file; reopening the file, what was red as a negative, becomes white - Why? There is an error in the latest version of excel which is messing with the colours of bars in graphs - please fix

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel Map still can not render value for the "Liberecký kraj"

Bing Maps (in Excel) don't know term "Liberecký kraj"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base