Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable per chart ability to show/hide chart element names and data points on hover

Add the ability to for Excel to override the Excel Option settings that show or hide Chart element names and data points on hover.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve the "Vary colors by point" option

The current version of the "Vary colors by point" option is of limited use and indeed contrary to accepted data visualization best practices, since it randomly assigns different colors to bars. The user should have the option to apply conditional color encoding by assigning colors based on some data, creating a color scale (ramp or categorical). As a practical example, a bar chart displaying population by country could use population density to generate a color ramp for bars or variation by category (continents).

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow formula bar for all chart titles and chart axis labels

Please add formula bar support for ALL chart titles and axis labels for Excel charts.

For example, the new native histogram, pareto, and box and whisker charts formula bar labels are not allowed.

Not all charts in Excel 2016 and above allow custom title and axis labels using formulas.

Please allow formula bar titles AND formula bar axis labels for ALL charts.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Independent Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels for each Chart Series

Sometimes, I want to filter out (uncheck a data series in a chart). The charts allow multiple data series but seem to share the same X-Axis labels.

Excel should enable the ability to optionally set a dedicated X-Axis label range for each series. When a series is enabled (checked), the associated x-axis labels should be used.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. bar of pie select piece

Would like the ability to choose the piece of the pie to breakdown in the bar of a pie chart instead of defaulting to values that are the least amount. In addition, when breaking down the selected piece, would like to choose other data that is displayed on the bar of the piece.

For example, if the largest piece represents the biggest problem category we have, I want to show a breakdown of the suppliers that contribute to our largest problems.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Freeze zoom level in 3D Maps

It would be helpful if I could freeze the zoom level of whatever map I am working on. Whenever I add a layer, it zooms out automatically. If I am working on a map that only includes one state, it is annoying to have to re-zoom every time I add a layer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Chart - Show Data Point Name In Format Pane

Please rethink the ENTIRE chart formatting interface. I believe the chart formatting is currently non-intuitive, mainly because the formatting features are spread throughout the interface. So, Unless you have the memory of an elephant, the eyes of an eagle, and the patience of a saint, it is nearly impossible to know which specific chart value will be affected. It is also difficult to locate the value you want to change (without searching through the interface).

Older Excel versions put ALL formatting features in a single location.

Excel 2016 and beyond requires navigating all over to change things. It's difficult and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Shaded uncertainty bounds for line charts

Why is it so difficult to create shaded uncertainty bounds for data in Excel? You can add error bars very easily, and there needs to be the option to change this to shaded uncertainty bounds - a simple fix. Please add it!
    The work-around options are very cumbersome, involving creating new upper and lower bound data series, plotting them, changing chart type, shading them, changing the transparency etc etc. Also, this solution does not work when you have negative numbers extending below the x axis

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. multiple trend lines

I would like to be able to add multiple trend lines for a single data set to compare long term trends vs short term trends.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Bar Chart Setting to Ignore #NA and Empty Cells

In the Hidden and Empty Cell Settings, provide option to "Ignore empty & #NA cells" (when doing so, grey out the "show empty cells as:" options.

This would be to allow columns (or rows) with Empty (or #NA) cells to be excluded from the data series. Additionally, any corresponding label values should be ignored.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Settings for Hidden and Empty Cell Settings

Enable Excel Options for Charts that let users define the default settings for charts, including how to handle Hidden and Empty Cell Settings and Move and Size with Cell, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Improvements for Power Maps/3D Maps

As a non-GIS person, I have found that Power Maps/3D Maps is a fairly useful feature that lets me build maps. That said, I have definitely noticed some areas that could be improved.

1. Annotation Position: These are great for displaying information on the map. That said, if you have points on the map that are close by, the annotations overlap and there is nothing you can do. At the moment, you only can choose whether to put the annotation to the left or the right and the annotation is always below the point in question. An easy improvement would be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Waterfall Chart missing formatting options

Waterfall charts do not offer the Rounded Corners option as other charts do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Collapsable pictures in cells so I can attach bills to their entries

I want to be able to put data into a row of a vendor name date and amount that was paid, then at the end I want to be able to put in the final cell a picture of the invoice that expands when I press the cell and collapses when I press it again, or even on mouse over, this way i can catalogue the actual invoice along with the data that has been entered so a visualization allows the person looking at the document to verify the data has been entered correctly and it also just allows the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. rotate trendline equations to be parallel with trendline

want to be able to ROTATE the trendline equation "text box" the same as PPT and Word, especially to make it parallel to its trendline

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Chart Line width default value

I would like to be able to change the 'default' line width for graphs. the 2.25 values is too thick

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. In graphs data table allow users to select which rows to display

I want to use a combo chart (line and bar) and display the table data below. I have two vertical axis - one for bar and one for line. I only want to display the table data for the bar portion of the graph. It does not seem possible to adjust this at the moment. The visual becomes overwhelming with too large of a table below, but select rows seem to add value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use conditions to govern the colour of chart lines and bars

Setting a target within chart formatting so that if a data set is above it can be say green and if below is could be red. The choice of colour and the target need to be the users.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Box and Whisker - Data labels for quartile lines and mean data points

Please add a feature to allow the user to toggle data point labels for the following points on the Excel box and whisker plots:

• Minimum value line

• First quartile line

• Median line

• Third quartile line

• Maximum value line

• Mean marker point

Each should be individually selectable for each box and whisker plot.

This will make it easier to present box plots to people who do not know how to read them and for data quality checks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base