Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop Chart Tooltips from Showing Everywhere

The chart tooltips popup all over the sheet, getting in the way a lot. If the mouse is not hovering over the chart then it shouldn't be displaying a tooltip over a cell which blocks the view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug Fix: Linking PivotChart titles / axes to cells when using Data Model

If I create a PivotChart from an Excel table, I can then set the chart title and axis labels to link to cells in the worksheet (to make them dynamic based on slicer selection).

However, if I create a PivotChart from the data model, I can not set the chart title or axis labels to link to cells in the worksheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatically assign same color to chart series with same name across different charts

Lately I'm working a lot with pivot tables and charts. I love the ability to filter the data (rows and series) on the chart. The little draw back is that the series change color when you add or remove them.
    Actually it would be nice if the series could have a fixed color according to their name/label. It would be even nicer if the color could be preserved across different charts.
    For example if I have three regions: North, West and East, it would be nice to assign a color to a region and in every chart a series with…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make Excel histogram compatible with normal distribution

Dear Microsoft,
    This is more like a question. Since I'm not a mathematician but a very frequent user of MSExcel (Win 365), I have a little issue with the new histogram function. By calculating the width of the inteval by Scott's formula, I get the same value as Excel, no problem. However, I would expect the histogram to be symmetric around the average value because that is how Scott constructed the formula. Hence, the plotting of intervals should proceed from the mean value towards the left and right, according to the values of the widths of the intervals (bin widths).…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow to add the desired value (Unit) in Y-Axis of chart.

During preparation of line chart I am not able to get my desired value on Y-Axis. For example if 73 and 4 are the two values (units) that I want on Y axis I cant show these two value unless I fix Major / Minor Unit to 1. So my suggestion is to add an additional Axis option to put the desired values (units) apart from fix units. Please check the attached screen shot for detail description of problem and suggestion.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Truncate chart axises

Be able to easily truncate chart axis. This feature is intrinsic to chart design and it's hard to believe Excel still doesn't have it. The workaround methods are extremely tedious.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. In the charts it would be good to be able to edit the labels on the horizontal axis manually.

It would be good to edit the horizontal axis labels manually as sometimes only small changes are needed in a few of the labels. The option to select axis-select data-edit horizontal categories axis labels, is not very user friendly as the edit box is too small. One cannot expand it to edit the labels more clearly. In older excel versions I remember that manual editing was allowed on the labels without changing the underlying data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Excel - increase decimal and decrease decimal Symbol

Excel increase and decrease decimal symbol is confusing. Suggest changing left hand side arrow pointing to right. - See attached

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. logarithmic axises on the base of 10 which start and end in the middle of a decade

Even Harward Graphics of the 1998th was able to show logarithmic axises on the base of 10 where the diagram starts at a position in the middle of a decade. Up tp now, Excel changes the base of the logarithm when I want to show data with e.g. 3 < x < 30. I often need a diagram between 3 < x < 30 on the base of 10, not of 3. But I dont want to have the empty area between 1 < x < 3 and 30 <x < 100.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Link Map

Make linking options available for Map Chart Types.

I would like to be able to link the title of my maps to cells within my workbook to make it quicker and easier to update them but it is currently not available for Maps.
    See the first note on the following link:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Link-a-chart-title-label-or-text-box-to-a-worksheet-cell-efc8173a-2a8a-423b-b4e2-b10c62fca6f5

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multiple Legends in Excel

I have recently found the need to add multiple legends to my Excel chart. The reason is that I have three different 'families' of curves on the same graph and would like to have the three different legends next to each data 'family'

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3D maps data labels

In 3D maps there is no obvious way to add labels to all the plotted data. This would usually be a data field. This is an absolute base functionality and I am astonished this is missing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. maps divided by states

Good afternoon, I would like the map of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, could be divided by state or cities, for its best representation, or if there is any way to create those divisions (city, district, parish, sector) yourself and then upload that graphic template, to be posteiorly used ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. add a second secondary scale to a pivot chart

It would be great to have an ability to add a second secondary scale to a pivot chart. For example, on the primary vertical scale I'm measuring dollar value, and on the secondary vertical scale I'm measuring units sold for two different products (thus I have two different lines on my chart) but the scale of these two units sold varies widely between the two different product types; one has monthly volume in the 10's of thousands and the other is only a few hundred.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Personalised maps

Ability of drawing and naming personalised zones in Power Maps for dynamic Maps linked with Excel Tables as Gis function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Qgis

Making dynamic Map in excel Importing Qgis Draw map selection linked With thé Name Of Qgis map’s personalised parts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make the Ideas Button available in the Dutch version of Excel.

Wellicht is het mogelijk de Ideas Button ook in de Nederlandse versie van Excel te activeren. Bij voorbaat dank.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Background of Rotated Data Labels in Charts do not turn with text

When rotating data labels in charts/graphs to 90 or 270 degrees the background and borders do not rotate with them, they remain horizontal. The only way found to manipulate this is by swapping the height and width values through VBA. Unfortunately doing that also shifts the horizontal position of the labels adding the need to further manipulate the .top/.left values in VBA particularly if the labels are of variable size.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Preserve formatting when selecting new data for a visual

When you have a visual, and then you format it, but have to select a new dataset afterwards, excel always seems to lose the formatting. I haven't found a way around this yet but it seems like it should be fixed!

I'm talking about when you change colors and fonts, specifically. Templates are a little clunky to use as well, even though they should help with bypassing this problem they're not helpful when all your workbooks are in OneDrive because the templates can only save to a desktop.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base